[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: moby dick.jpg (137 KB, 450x640)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
What is the best edition of "Moby Dick" ? or What is your favorite. I want the full experience.
>>
>>19223924
Idk
>>
the one you have with you
>>
>>19223933
im retarded thanks
>>
the cheapest one you can find that's in good shape you dipshit
>>
I have University of California Press, and Everyman’s Library
>>
>>19223924
>What is the best edition of "Moby Dick" ?
You speak English, it's not a translation you stupid jewish nigger. Just get a hardcover and learn some sailing terms you god damn vagina.
>>
>>19223924
Most will be good enough, no need to think too much about it. I have Norton Critical, which is filled with useful notes and essays, so that one I can recommend too, but it's not necessary to understand the work.
>>
File: moby-dick.jpg (16 KB, 201x302)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
I have this one. The paper and typesetting is really nice.
>>
>>19223924
/lit/'s version was officially approved by Herman himself so that's the version I would recommend. It's full of powerful insights into the context of the novel.
>>
>>19223924
The one anotated by the world's foremost literary society
>>
>>19223924
Are there pictures in Moby Dick or was I memed?
>>
>>19223999
which is better?
>>
>>19224848
Moby dick is packed with pictures and so sparse in text as to almost be a colouring in book
>>
>>19223924
What does it matter? Unless you’re reading a translation all the text in English will be the same. Get whatever one you want.
>>
>>19223924
a thread died for OP the retard
>>
University of California press Barry moser facsimile. Cheap - about 30 bucks second hand. Amazing illustrations and very solid hardback for the price.
>>
You should try to find an older version of the book, to get the original illustrations. A lot of newer versions come with coloured images that do nothing for the plot. Just buy one scond hand somewhere.
>>
>>19223924
Just read it, fucker.
>>
>>19224848
Nah you have the best edition, Melville himself actually said that the board book with integrated audio cassette is the definitive version.
>>
>>19224678
>>19224684
Indeed
>>
>>19223924
It honestly depends on what you value.

Do you want the best annotated, one with some nice illustrations, good essays at the beginning etc….I actually like the e Norton one. It’s edited by Herschel Parker who is probably the best Melville scholar. I will say the lit edition is very funny and do recommend.
>>
>>19224848
Some editions have illustrations such as UoC Press, Folio Society, Easton Press
>>
There's an old out-of-print Penguin version with a billion useful footnotes.
The Everyman's Library version is beautiful

Those are the two I use.
>>
>>19225758
Rockwell Kent is such a great artist.
>>
>>19224661
Lol guincel
>>
>I had my copy from high school and I bought another one, I can't remember why. There was an interesting illustrated one, so I bought that. Then somebody gave me one, and someone else gave me two more. When I had about 7, a friend or one of my kids said, "Why do you have so many Moby Dick books?" I said: because I can.

http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2011/03/14/bill-pettit-and-the-moby-dick-collection

Is this OK?
>>
>>19225758
Based
>>
>>19226379
>>19226379
>“I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it.”
>“His flesh being hard as a twice-baked biscuit.”
>“He now has to…seize his harpoon from the crotch.”
>“I was never served so before without giving a hard blow for it.”
>“Nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness.”

bros i think this book is extremely gay
>>
>>19226392
Nah you're just projecting
>>
File: 1622675807648.jpg (65 KB, 698x526)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>19226398
actually you are gay
>>
>>19223924
awful book about boats and sperm whales.
If you enjoy this YOU ARE A PSEUD
>>
>>19224073
He never said it was a translation. Just reread his OP.
>>
>>19226437
Seethe harder retard
>>
>>19226437
a sailor like me could really get down and teach some things to an effete judgemental fancy boy like you
>>
>>19223924
This specific penguin edition has hundreds of pages of good explanatory notes and a reasonably good intro.
It’s not the copy I use to reread the book because it’s a little large (I like the Macmillan edition because I can put it in my pocket and read it while travelling) but it was the edition I first read when I borrowed it from my mothers bookshelf.
>>
>>19226506
>a sailor like me
lol fag
>>
>>19223924
I finished the Norton Critical Edition a couple days ago and would definitely recommend, it has great footnotes (rather than the annoying endnotes you have to flip back to in the Penguin Classics Edition) and hundreds of pages of commentary and analysis ordered chronologically since Moby Dick’s publication. It also has diagrams of the typical ship and whaleboat to help you visualise all the obscure whaling jargon Merville uses. Only downside is the font is a bit small if you have bad eyesight, or if your eyes get strained easily.
>>
>>19224661
Agreed, that's the one I read and I don't regret it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.