[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1631576853162.png (261 KB, 803x790)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
How many books are you going to read when anti-aging drugs have eliminated death and you're able to live for thousands of years?
>>
>>19055383
Not many. Reading is a juvenile habit that immortals would grow out of.
>>
Aubrey de Grey got me too'd and he's the leader of research on senescence so I think research got pushed back by 50 years anon
>>
i'd throw myself beneath the wheels of a passing truck before i'd live 1000 years.
i'll read lovecraft on repeat til then
>>
>>19055383
>when anti-aging drugs have eliminated death and you're able to live for thousands of years?
people would be an-heroing en masse
>>
>>19055423
Probably
I want to kill myself now but I also want to live forever
>>
>>19055383
An eternity on this planet would be hell. Resources are still limited.
>>
>>19055513
The answer to this for immortals would be the same as the answer for us. Stop having kids. Every person in the world could easily have a first world standard of living if there were only one billion of us.
>>
>>19055521
You know that isn't going to happen. People have sex because they enjoy how it feels, kids for a lot of people are just accidents. There's nothing to gain from a population that can live forever and is stuck in the general mindset that it's stuck in. Elevation of humanities conscious would be a much more practical and beneficial achievement.
>>
However many I like.
>>
>>19055538
Abortion, condoms, the pill, vasectomies. Sex without kids has already been solved technologically it's society that's lagging behind
>>
>>19055566
And yet despite these apparent achievements, kids are still being created by accident. Ergo, elevation of humanities conscious is much more practical and beneficial. But that'll never happen, because it's counterproductive to those in power, real power. A population that can't die has nothing left to fear.
>>
>>19055581
>accident
>whoops i accidentally had sex
hate when that happens desu
>>
>>19055513
>>19055538
I imagine a hypothetical immortal would spend the first hundred years learning and socializing, maybe having a small family around 80 and see them grow up in 20. Why have more?
Look at some of these people that post here? They can’t stand the idea of 50 years much less 500. I imagine the average immortal would get kind of tired of life and commit ceremonial suicide when he feels like it. I doubt this would be a huge problem on society. It aids space travel leaps and bounds.
Now if we could just grow past capitalism
>>
>>19055587
No, you accidentally gave in to your primal urges without consideration of the repercussions of not taking the proper measures to do it in a manner that prevents any accidents from occurring at all.
>>
>>19055594
>accidentally
you're having a lot of trouble with this word
i'd suggest consulting a dictionary
>>
>>19055597
And I'd suggest consulting common sense.
>>
>>19055587
If we solve aging we can solve unintentional fertility.
>>
>>19055592
immortality literally implies the incapacity of death. suicide is therefore not an option anymore. you're trapped on this planet, or some other planet, forever. no escape. that's hell.
>>
>>19055395
Damn that's a shame
why aren't billionaires investing in the research anyway?
>>
>>19055383
None
> All great books are inspired by the fear of death and the search for meaning in a finite life
> Suddenly that becomes irrelevant
I'll enjoy my eternity of exploring the universe while wireheading myself with futuristic drugs, thanks.
>>
>>19055395
Secret of immortality is screwing young chicks. The Taoists knew it.
>>
File: 1631728672299.jpg (1.51 MB, 1200x1743)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>19055383
Perhaps three books per year.
>you're able to live for thousands of years
I do not want to live for 50 years let alone a thousands of years.
>>
>>19055774
go back
>>
>>19055383
I'm gonna do something alot more interesting than reading if I can be healthy and relatively young for thousands of years
>>
>>19055383
However many books i need to read to find a way to either escape this material Realm or destroy it if the former is not an option
>>
>>19055607
Comic book/theological immortality isn’t real. C’mon man.
Drop a human body off building and he lives?
Fly into the sun, and you live through that?
How about a black hole? That shit isn’t ever going to happen. But maintaining life for a number of years, or indefinitely under some conditions, is absolutely possible. But their fragility also has to be admitted
>>
>>19058686
>theological immortality
I know for a fact it is. It is more than you think, and we are more than our physical bodies.
>>
>>19055383
How would my memory be affected by this cure? How am I going to remember the contents of books I read 400 years ago? If I'm going to have to rely on notes (which I can't remember either) why not skip reading in the first place and instead rely on sparknotes?
>>
>>19058696
>I know I have an immortal soul
>It was in the instruction manual
Or no, wait
>My imaginary stepdaddy told me so. —via an old poorly written book
We were talking about bodies in reality ITT, not yer ghosties
>>
>>19058732
Suit yourself. Enjoy your life while you still can.
>>
>>19058733
>>
>>19055395
Based women saving humanity from the curse of immortality
>>
>>19058738
Yes, keep laughing. You will see when your time is up and realize there's still more to experience.
>>
>>19055715
death will always exist and will always be a mistery and a reality.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.