[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

any of you guys have translations of the bible that have readable yet still poetic prose? i have recently became aware that the bible is really not a bad read if you ignore the kjv and have had a hard time deciding on which translation to pick

i don't care about accuracy i just want to read a cool story with pretty words
>>
>>18701691
Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition is along the lines of what your looking for. God bless you.
>>
>>18701691
I have an ESV and while nice, it doesn't have the same gravity as the KJV. Most of the newer translations were made on the grounds of accuracy or approachability, not style.
There are a million resources with a comparison of the same passage in the various translations so you can compare styles easily.
>>
>>18701691
I've always found the NIV to work best for me. I'm too much of a brainlet to ever really have a chance of getting too academic and rigorous in my study of scripture for the NIV to ever fail me. Though, when I argue online, I like to cite verses from the KJV because they sound neater.
>>
I just bought a 1611 KJV yesterday.
The leather facsimile version.
I’m looking forward to the archaic language and font forcing me to read slower and more thoughtfully.
>>
>>18701955
>I just bought a 1611 KJV yesterday.
post pics anon
>>
File: 51BD+TKgVjL.jpg (34 KB, 496x500)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Read this
>>
>>18701961
Sorry, should have said ordered.
Will be here next week.
>>
I'll remind you if one of those mail order threads comes up

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.