[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Books on why 80s nostalgia is especially prevalent in our society compared to other eras?
>>
>>17280619
Because 80s kids are main group making media. Soon it will be 90s nostalgia. you dont need a book for this
>>
>>17280619
Why do you think that movies like Grease were made?
>>
>>17280619
Idk but it's fucking cringe. Fuck boomers
>>
>>17280672
80s nostolgia from gen-x and early millenials not boomers, 60s glamorization shit is from boomers
>>
>>17280619
Huge innovations in film and video game technology. TVs were at their peak ubiquity in the west.

new young directors (Spielberg, Lucas) made iconic films. Generally the peak of the new Hollywood era of cinema. I was going to say there was a lot of material wealth back then too, but I remembered that there was that whole opec crisis
>>
>>17280695
Everyone over 20 is a boomer
>>
>>17280619
Teenagers are rebelling against their parents by adopting qualities of what their parents rebelled against. Pretty simple and a normal part of modern life.
>>
>>17280703
In this type of multi-generational discussion, it's important to chuck meme usages in favor of the real terms. Boomer means baby boomer, which refers to people born between 1946 and 1964. Generation X is effectively 1965-1980, older millenials are effectively 1981-2000, and generation Z (zoomers) are 2001-present. The fact that the late 70s/80s straddles the periods of youth for the middle two cohorts explains the enduring meme nostalgia for the 80s.
>>
>>17280619
The Medium is the Massage, Understanding Media

>We look at the present through a rear view mirror. We march backwards into the future.
>>
>>17280757
Gen Z is 97-2012
>>
>>17280799

Sure, that's fine, I was only spitballing anyway. Between the two younger gens, the big splits are: living memory before the internet, and 9/11.
>>
>>17280619
Mark fisher's Capitalist realism specifically discusses this
>>
>>17280619
Probably with all the new films or tv series having an 80s aesthetic
>>
>>17280763
if we're marchin backwards why are we looking in the rear view at our past? wouldnt we be looking at it through the windshield?
why do we have a rear view mirror if we're marching btw. kind of a confused metaphor. bullshit desu.
>>
>>17280695
Pretty much.
>>17280757
It should be emphasized that not only are the boundaries hazier than that, some of the demarcations to the classic list of age brackets are off-target culturally. When I think of typical boomers I always imagine someone who was in their late teens/early 20s when Woodstock and all that hippie shit peaked, or entered college or the work force before the economy took a dump just before the start of the 80s, prison population commenced its steep climb, and the rust of the rust belt began to set in. I picture the classic mid-boomer more like someone who listened to "Smoke On The Water" or "Radar Love" on the radio while drag-racing a late 50s Chevy they souped up after their dad was done with it. A classic early gen-Xer is someone who slacked their way to community college in their dad's as-is '72 Buick Electra to a cassette compilation including The Art Of Noise's "Close To The Edit" and Mann Parrish's "Hip-Hop Bee-Bop". At least this is my experience.
>>
>>17282626

Sounds more like your imagination desu, all that hyper-specific music stuff. You're right that the boundaries are soft though, and shouldn't be taken as hard-and-fast except when convenient for demographic discussion.
>>
File: velvet goldmine (2).png (186 KB, 544x400)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
it is all cyclical. for example all the based 70s nostalgia in the 90s

uwu why is he so cute
>>
File: 1469829185618.jpg (33 KB, 268x265)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>17280703
Do you actually mean this unironically?

You do know that the term has been twisted by the internet over the past 5 years right?

A boomer is anyone who was born just in time to take advantage of the economic boom created by their parents after ww2.

So a boomer is usually someone who is 60+ who was born in the 50/60s and got shit like houses, education and other necessities ten times cheaper than they are today (also accounting for inflation).
>>
>>17280625
It's been 80s nostalgia since 2000, and 90s nostalgia already took place in the 2010s, they're already feeling 2000s nostalgia, but still barely, the point with OP's observation is that 80s nostalgia actually continued alongside 90s nostalgia and ended up lasting 20 years and is still going.
>>17280619
Probably Fisher or something on hauntology.
>>
Authentic life essentially ended after the internet.
>>
>>17283212
This actually. Culture is dead.
>>
>>17283212
yeah, because passing information among humans is unnatural and inauthentic and all
>>
>>17280695
60s music + man on the moon is a powerful combo

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.