[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 71nDBHiOzIL.jpg (215 KB, 1400x2264)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>
>>16844298
It's my favorite edition of the Bhagavad Gita
>>
I've read it, and I loved the commentaries and found the translation very enjoyable. Not that I can comment at all on the relation between it and the original sanskrit or anything.
>>
>>16844298
It's a great choice for a beginner, and then if you want to read a more intricate presentation of the same text later you can read editions with less paraphrasing and more of the important philosophical terms preserved in romanized sanskrit in the midst of the english verses. Most of the various medieval commentaries on it by Hindu philosophers have been translated and many of them are sublime reads, but it's better to just read an edition of the Gita first without extensive commentary before reading any of the traditional commentaries on it as they are usually the size of large novels.
>>
>>16844357
>and more of the important philosophical terms preserved in romanized sanskrit in the midst of the english verses.

which edition?
>>
>>16844298
Yes
>>
>>16845719
The Srimad Bhagavata Gita by Swami Swarupananda
>>
bump
>>
>>16844298
Sir Edwin Arnold gave the best translation

>Good is the steadfastness whereby a man
Masters his beats of heart, his very breath
Of life, the action of his senses; fixed
In never-shaken faith and piety:
That is of Sattwan, Prince! "soothfast" and fair!
Stained is the steadfastness whereby a man
Holds to his duty, purpose, effort, end,
For life's sake, and the love of goods to gain,
Arjuna! 'tis of Rajas, passion-stamped!
Sad is the steadfastness wherewith the fool
Cleaves to his sloth, his sorrow, and his fears,
His folly and despair. This--Pritha's Son!--
Is born of Tamas, "dark" and miserable!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.