[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1604432942869.jpg (36 KB, 720x765)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
For the people who keep a journal, what do you write in it? Do you just record the day's events? It seems a bit dull, logging your life like that.
>>
It is dull, but it's tremendously therapeutic
>>
Thoughts, events, reading notes, etc
>>
>>16844205
I kept one for most of my twenties. Drawings, quotes, mainly a shit load of adolescent complaints. See also: commonplace books
>>
dreams that i have about a girl that im infatuated with
>>
I don't keep a journal but I often blogpost on blog threads in other imageboards and screencap my posts + interaction with other anons and put them into a folder.
>>
bullshit nonsense and rambling, fever dreams, sperging out and obscure sketches and drawings of shapes within shapes within shapes within shapes.
>>
>>16844205
I use it to think out loud
>>
>>16844205
I used to and kind of still do keep a journal, but as time went on I feel like I need to get them on digitized.
Also writing on paper takes useless time where you focus on the drawing of letters where you can just type when you think immediately on keyboard. Even better if you can make recordings but that takes space.
>>
>>16844205
A text file in my phone; easy to access. i dont think i can exactly call it journal. I write dumb or cool one-liners, i write ideas, sometimes i write small rants.
but i always write down the dreams i remember and synchronicities which happened.
basically, anything i find barely or really cool, or weird, or heartfelt.

one of the nice thing is when u look at the entries from like months or even a year ago u might go "oh so i think like that in that period time" "oh i seemed so different" "oh hey this idea or line is cool im glad i wrote it down".

i dont think theres any downside to doing this. even if youre lazy, or the days too dull, u can just leave the days empty. youre free to write down anything u want, down to the darkest detail, its cool. no one knows. (unless googel managed to spy on your android)

even if u dont want to, just make a dream diary. ask jung why its good.
>>
>dull
Only if you live a boring life.
>>
>>16844723
I used to have a full-blown wiki where I logged a lot of stuff on top of my daily thoughts and activities, everything organized by tags and hyperlinks, and I attached audio recordings, photos, etc. It was as completely as a journal could be, but I switched a week ago to a paper journal (a ring organizer type) and I think I won't go back. I don't want to depend on a screen device in this era.
>>16844723
>but as time went on I feel like I need to get them on digitized
Try Joplin, TiddlyWiki or VimWiki. You should just start writing there right away and keep the old stuff on paper.
>>
More or less just a recollection of the day with occasional digressions. It's interesting to look back on past events and see how you thought at the time, both as entertainment and as a way to understand how I make choices and what kinds of things sway my thinking the most
>>
>>16844205
Not so much a journal as just a stream of consciousness on paper. Thoughts, ideas, topics, sometimes sketches. It isn't really a record as much as it is a way for me to practice committing my thinking to words
>>
I do random math problems intertwined with short comments on what I experienced though they day and what they taught me about myself
>>
>>16844668
Post pages

This sounds based
>>
>>16844205
I don't keep a daily log because then it would have filler if I struggle to come up with something for the day, but what I usually write about are my thoughts of myself and the world around me.
I hardly ever write about other people.
Also about dreams and what my interpretation about them are along with symbols I may see in them.
I never go back and read what I wrote.
>>
>>16846406
>I never go back and read what I wrote.
why not
>>
>>16844311
>adolescent complaints.
yeah this is why you journal

i prefer to just go for walks in the forest and talk to myself

writing is for plebes
>>
>>16846474
Based and peripatetic-pilled
>>
File: sheep7.jpg (86 KB, 660x660)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>16844205
I tried keeping a journal during my first few days of University—I only wrote a handful of entries before getting bored. It's a mix of me complaining in a very pretentious way, recalling noteworthy occurrences, rambling about things like pride and consciousness. Multiple entries are about me starving to death in my room and one is about me going to the beach at 6am in the rain to smoke and consider suicide. It's all pretty embarrassing. I didn't write in it everyday so entries included occurrences of a few days. It makes me come off like a schizo sperg (especially one of the starving to death ones because I wrote it when I was pretty delirious from starving and sleep deprivation). Frankly I should be journaling my dreams—my dreams are always hyperviolent and insane beyond normal. Well, maybe I shouldn't, dreams mean little but I'd rather not record all the necrophilic/cannibalism/murder dreams I have. One dream I've been having a lot recently has been weirdly interesting: I'm on a really tranquil Irish meadow that's surrounded by trees, the meadow has calm sheep grazing, short old stone walls and a stone church on hill in the distance. I walk around the field and start killing the sheep with a knife, sometimes I'm talking, like I'm instructing a person on how to effectively kill the sheep, I aim for the nape, trying to behead the sheep, but the knife is too blunt so it only exposes the vertebrae and blood sprays everywhere. There's a large grey wolf stalking the tree line, sometimes it accompanies me when I exist the brush to reach the meadow. The last time I had the dream I saw the wolf enter the church and when he exited his mouth and chest was covered in blood—like he had killed something inside the church. The dream is very strange because of the contrast between the tranquility of the field (it's cool, a lot of moonlight, the sheep make little noise) and the goriness of the killing (it's really graphic and bloody); when I wake up I always feel strangely relaxed. I don't normally kill animals in my dream, it's usually humans.
>>
>>16846797
Nice schizopost, there are some things in there I can definitely relate to. Starving and violent dreams being the main ones, but my dream-violence is always focused on me, I never actually hurt anyone or fight back (as far as I remember). I am either being chased already or I'm minding my business and then suddenly, something attacks, in the end, just when I get caught (and I always get caught), and killed in various ways (I always get killed), I wake up.
>>
>>16846797
wow, you're really cool anon :)
>>
File: 1590492536296.png (101 KB, 242x241)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>16847542
I have never had a dream where I was the victim of the violence. Violence dreams (assume it doesn't lead into a necrophilia dream) are usually me killing randos for little reason. The first murder dream I had was in a zombie apocalypse and I was hiding in my house with my brother and a woman I had never seen before (she looked like an action hero lara croft type) broke in and offered to help us. For some reason, when she looked away, I hit her in the back of the head and then proceed to drown her in the kitchen sink. The following night I had a dream where I embedded a shovel into a night janitor's skull from behind. The violent dreams were more prevalent in my teens—I would get them almost every other night. The last one I had was me running around with a large knife slashing at people. This dream there was at least a reason behind the violence (if I recall they were an enemy crime faction). Some of my violence dreams are very actiony like that where I move very quickly and gracefully as if it were a movie or videogame. Those dreams are a little more fun. Dreams that are less fun are the ones I've been having recently: It's usually an uncomfortably social interaction with weird shit thrown in. Example: I'm at a massive table that's covered in expensive food, the other people are anxious as to why we're here. I taste some of the food and instinctually know it's human flesh, I think to myself "I've just lost so of my humanity". I sit back down and the restaurant fills up with people—the place looks really expensive, red carpet chandeliers, on the 20th floor. I feel out of place so I keep my head down and start scarfing down food as to prevent people from talking to me. A giant demon walks up behind me and starts speaking to person next to me, I don't want my face to be seen because it's covered in food (I think I'm eating crab?) but then they ask me something and I answer without looking up. I forget the rest but you get the idea. I honestly do not what causes these dreams, because apparently you're not meant to have dreams where you kill and copulate with a dismembered corpse so it's always bothered me what these dreams may mean. Another anon suggested getting an MRI.
>>16847719
I know you're being facetious because you think I'm just being edgy. But I don't know why me rambling about my "weird dreams" bothers you. It's not like I think these things are cool.
>>
>>16847784
Are you sure you don't have homicidal urges IRL
>>
>>16847915
No more than average I guess. It used to be worse when I was kid/teenager.
>>
>>16847915
Don't ask him that dumbass, it's what he wants so he can LARP out his "epic sekret serial killer!" dream.
>>16847784
>I know you're being facetious because you think I'm just being edgy. But I don't know why me rambling about my "weird dreams" bothers you. It's not like I think these things are cool.
You do think they're cool, that's why you're posting paragraphs about them in a just barely related thread.
>>
>>16848068
I'm not the other anon, but have you considered seeing a therapist? If you have, what did they say? Also if you want post more dreams because they are fascinating in their detail.
>>
I write in one regularly but it's never really dull. I don't try to make a complete narrative of the day though.
I write about ideas I had or scenarios I was in that I found entertaining or strange things that happen to me. Those are mostly mental problems or sociopathic observations.
My dreams are always wacky so that's fun to write as well.
>>
>>16844205
Personal eflections, catharsis to prevent destructive actions towards others and broader social and philosophical observations. I try to write aphoristically but it's likely quite shit. Though, the attempt still feels good for me. No one else is going to read it anyway.
>>
>>16848927
I think you're projecting. I'm just rambling about my dreams because I felt like that sheep one was worth journaling. Maybe you have NPC tier dreams and that's why you think it's an edgy larp.
>>16849062
I think I mentioned it to a childhood psychiatrist once but they just said something along the lines of as long as it doesn't manifest itself in action it should be fine. I dream about every night or every two nights and the dreams are usually quite a few hours long, and I usually have multiple dreams a night that are broken up by the narrative/story.

I had a pretty interesting dream last night but it wasn't violent but it was pretty soulful. I was on a raft with the grim reaper and we were just sailing across the ocean. I think we mainly sat in silence but we did talk about mundane shit. He was controlling the raft so I just sat up front looking for landmasses and relaxing. Eventually we came across a small island (like 5x5 meters) with Dracula (or a classic looking vampire?) biting the neck of the blonde woman and the Grim reaper yelled at him and then slashed at the sand of the island causing it to sink. I asked him why he did it and he told me that if he didn't drown them himself they would never enter heaven or hell. After sailing a while our raft began getting sucked into a whirlpool and then I woke up. I don't remember it very well so I omitted a lot of details; like I'm pretty sure there was a whole plot point about why I was on the raft and even something about a third person on it but I don't recall it in any clarity. I think a giant purple squid showed up but I'm not sure.
>>
>>16844645
That's actually a pretty good idea. I have a place where I copy and paste some of my posts onto: they're usually long articulate posts on a topic so when I gets brought up I again I can just post my pasta without having to type it all up again

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.