[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 81g0zW30I9L.jpg (275 KB, 1069x1648)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>People lived on in it and there were hospitals and cafés and artillery up side streets and two bawdy houses, one for troops and one for officers, and with the end of the summer, the cool nights, the fighting in the mountains beyond the town, the shell-marked iron of the railway bridge, the smashed tunnel by the river where the fighting had been, the trees around the square and the long avenue of trees that led to the square; these with there being girls in the town, the King passing in his motor car, sometimes now seeing his face and little long necked body and gray beard like a goat’s chin tuft; all these with the sudden interiors of houses that had lost a wall through shelling, with plaster and rubble in their gardens and sometimes in the street, and the whole thing going well on the Carso made the fall very different from the last fall when we had been in the country.
What the fuck is this shit? Why does Hemmingway write like this? How did he become an acclaimed author when he writes like a 10 year-old? DROPPED
>>
>>16844179
I got this book the other day and just couldn't get through it. THIS is the motherfucker that's so celebrated? For what? Who the fuck reads this and goes hmmm, what a great novel.
>>
>>16844179
Read it in Sam Elliots voice and you'll get by
>>
Looks good to me
>>
I was vibing with it and then you wrote

>WHat the fuck is this shit

And it really made me wonder ... what the fuck is this.... shit,
>>
>>16844225
I know right? Makes me wonder how many of the "greats" are just hacks.
>>
>>16844275
>Sam Elliots
Don't know who that is and don't care enough to google.
>>
and what exactly is the problem?
>>
Overhyped by his (probably jewish) publisher
An early experiment in aggressive marketing
>>
>>16844179
I'm not a fan of this and I find it pretty tiresome, but it's stylistic, not poorly-written. At the time, this style of writing was new and exciting. We just have higher standards today.
>>
I've only read The Sun Also Rises, and I gotta say, the dialogues and character development are out of this earth
>>
Because of America's media propagating propaganda disguised as American exceptionalism worldwide. It's the reason why people think Kubrick is the greatest director of all time when he wouldn't crack the top 10
>>
Yea I only liked the old man and the sea, which was basically a YA story about perseverance etc, nothing special.

He was lucky the americans flooded the world with him and his output to try to convince the world that free and capitalist america was more cultured than the soviet union.
>>
>>16844179
>a farewell to arms
NOOOOOOO NOT THE ARMERINOS NOT THE HECKIN FECKIN BICEPERINOS AND TRICEPERINOS AND MY FOREARMERINOS AND BRACCHIALERINOS MINORINOS AND MAJORINOS I DID ALL MY FRICKIN CURLERINOS AND NOW I HAVE TO SAY FAREWELLERINO TO MY ARMERINOS THIS IS SO HECKIN MESSED UP NOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>16845466
kek
>>
>>16845405
trash pleb
>i only liked his plebbest work so umm let me explain something to you...
>>
You people really got filtered by Hemingway... fucking Hemingway?
>>
>>16846242
>filtered

yea no, he's just shit.
>>
>>16846242
>filtered by one of the most overrated modern authors
Yeah no.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.