[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

/lit/ with this vibe?

The Witch is my favorite movie and recently I enjoyed The Wendigo which has some similar theme, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations involving spookiness, dark forest, and pre 1900 times

Thank you
>>
Satantango - 1985
>>
>>15744974
The Crucible by Arthur Miller
The Witch by Thomas Middleton
>>
>>15744974
It's not quite horror, but I think you would really appreciate "To a God Unknown" by Steinbeck. It's a more challenging read then it's length would suggest, and it contains some of the eeriest descriptions of trees I've ever read.
>>
I HATE that people reccomend shit like this and gretel and hansel to people as horror movies, as if a girl finding herself is supposed to be frightening
>>
>>15745161
rural American paganism
>>15745042
Can't speak for the Witch, but the Crucible isn't really similar at all. Its just a story about mob mentality, nothing about unknown dark forces.
>>
>>15745175
It's more terror than horror.
>>
>>15744974
Young Goodman Brown
>>
>>15745196
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>15745349
Was going to say this. Nathanial Hawthorne is peak New England moral/religious terror.
>>
>>15745186
>Its just a story about mob mentality
You have to be 18 to post here.
>>
>>15745175
You sound like a complete fucking faggot.
>>
I've been wanting to make a thread about this for a while but I don't like The Witch. It does a lot of things right but the actual story is dogshit as is the ending.

I just want occult horror shit with woods, witches, satanism, folklore, etc. Instead of making a new thread can anyone recommend me something along these lines?
>>
>>15744974
>>15745485
The Haunting of Hill House is a bit off spec for both of you but you'd both probably enjoy it.
>>
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Aradia by Charles Godfrey Leland
The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe
Macbeth by William Shakespeare
The Devils of Loudun by Aldous Huxley
The Witchcraft of Salem Village by Shirley Jackson
>>
>>15745175
Stories set in the horror genre are by far the ones most negatively affected by the expectations the genre schema creates.
>>
>>
>>15745414
Make me, faggot.
>>
>>15745485
>It does a lot of things right but the actual story is dogshit as is the ending.
The ending is cool as fuck. I have ecsastic memories of when I watched it at the cinema.
>>
Machen - The Great God Pan
>>
>>15745485
The Witch is divisive. I think it's a pleb filter but that's my opinion.
>>
>>15745502
The TV show didn't appeal to me so I gotta admit I'm apprehensive about reading the book it was based on. Though I'm sure it's very different.

>>15745567
I disagree. I thought Black Phillip was ridiculous. I'm sure I'd be called a pleb for wanting more devil, magic, coven stuff. I remember there being loud sighs, walk outs and booing at the end.

>>15745621
I mean the whole slow burn atmospheric horror thing is a cliche at this point. I got The Witch. It wasn't really about the magic and stuff but like most A24 movies they mislead the fuck out of you about what the movie actually is in their trailers. I didn't need magic and spectacle but it was wasn't really about a Witch and there was nothing remotely scay/terrifying in it. Just a bunch of drawn out scenes. But whatever. I'm blog posting. If you guys like that's cool.
>>
>>15744974
Viy by Gogol
The 1967 movie is also great, one of my faves
>>
File: krampus-2015.jpg (805 KB, 3240x2175)
805 KB
805 KB JPG
not that spooky but i still love this lil nigga for its practical effects
>>
>>15745485
The Willows
The Wendigo
Some Ambrose Bierce ghost/horror stories
Surprisingly some Lovecraft stories
>>
File: vampyr_180105_112806.jpg (52 KB, 839x535)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>15744974
check out Dracula's Guest: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Vampire Stories, or just old vampire folklore in general

>>15746021
Did Gogol write more folk horror stuff other than this?
>>
>>15745929
>The TV show didn't appeal to me
Most of the adaptions of it are shit. People think it would be spookier if you include more supernatural shit, when what makes the book so fucked up is that it's about people who believe in supernatural shit but the natural explanation to what they believe is magic is more horrific.
>>
>>15745175
>girl finding herself
>makes a deal with the devil and joins the group of child murdering women who have ruined her family
I guess it checks out
>>
The Dunwich Horror
The White People
>>
>>15745175
>girl finds herself by having her family killed and being hypnotized by occultists
Woah, so this is the power of third stage feminism...
>>
The Events at Porto’s Farm by T. E. D. Klein
>>
Kill list is the best horror movie of the decade
>>
>>15746406
Come on, it's current year. Satanic child sacrifice is the new femininity.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (49 KB, 359x499)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>15744974
Just go for occultism and esoterism like
The Lesser Key of Solomon and The Goetia of Dr Rudd
>>
>>15746734
Poroth’s Farm not Porto
Fucking autocorrect
>>
>>15746406
It was all her
The other witches doesn’t real
>>
>>15745175
>a girl finding herself
Congrats, she gets to burn in hell for eternity. She got some butter though I guess.
>>
>That scene where the witch kills the baby, then grinds it up into gore goo, then rubs it onto her broom and masturbates with it
Surprised there wasn't some kind of uproar about that given that it got a mainstream theatrical release.
>>
File: goya-witches-sabbath.jpg (235 KB, 800x1126)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>15744974
Here's a painting at least.
>>
The Great God Pan
>>
Stand looking for a friend
Someone I can rely on...
All the people laugh at me...
I hide in my room.

They don't understand me...
Think that I have gone insane.
These four walls are closing on me...
Can't they realize my pain?

Confused, confused, confused.
Can't you see that I'm confused?

The wild state of affairs gets worse and worse day by day.
Everybody seems to be confused.
No one ever knows the way.

But still life carries on...
And you live a day and you just wait...
You only get one chance, don't let it just slip away!

Confused!
Confused!
Confused!
Can't you see that I'm confused?
>>
>>15744974
The Witch was boring as fuck
I really dislike the current trend of “high-brow” horror that isn’t even remotely scary
>>
>>15747828
No horror is scary you stupid faggot. It's a genre that should be used for actual expression.
>>
File: Ring1-1280x720.png (1 MB, 1280x720)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>15747847
imblying the Ring was not scary
>>
>>15747847
*yawns*
>>
>>15747865
This was the last piece of horror media that scared me, and I saw it in a theater when I was 12.
>>15747871
Yes, yawn. That's what happens when I watch a horror movie and judge it by whether it scares me.
>>
>>15747828
>scared by literal 2-D images
anon, I ...
>>
>>15744974
The Witch’s Trinity by Erica Mailman

>>15745621
I don’t think it’s a pleb filter. I think it just got really popular in streaming and got “arthouse” points for being independent, so the praise looped all the way back around and hit itself in the ass with contrarianism.
I never see anyone on 4channel who literally just didn’t get it
>>
>>15744974
Nathaniel Hawthorne
>>
>>15745349
this
>>
File: image.jpg (1.31 MB, 1747x769)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
I saw your Lighthouse thread yesterday and know it must be the same person making this. Don't forget to follow the guide and all will be well. God bless Eggers
>>
>>15747828
Hereditary was scary
>>
>>15748903
I have to say, the lighthouse gets a lot less appealing when you realize the paint falling on Pattinson's face is supposed to symbolize a cumshot
>>
>>15748903
Hereditary is great, fuck you

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.