[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: borges.jpg (60 KB, 1600x900)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
After reading Borges, I can't find joy in reading anything else in Spanish. Nothing comes even close to his genius.
>>
>>12187495
His style in Spanish is epic yet quite concise. Truly one of a kind.
>>
>not reading him in Spanish
Imagine being a Castellanolet lmao
laffin at amerigordos who can't into best language
>>
>>12187495
>>12187507
Totally agree, Borges in Spanish is fantastic. I tried to read his English translations but they all sound too clinical because of the latinate vocab
>>
>>12187495
I agree, he was a genius, but why don't you try Saramago? He writes in a simple Spanish too and can be quite humorous.
>>
>>12187531
If Spanish were really as good as you claim it to be, why did
the poet who wrote Beowulf
Chaucer
the Pearl Poet
Spenser
Shakespeare
Donne
Milton
Locke
motherfucking based Alexander Pope
Hume
the American Founding Fathers
Jane Austen
Wordsworth
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Coleridge
Whitman
Melville
Dickens
Hemingway
The author of My Diary Desu
all write in English instead of a "better" language like Spanish, if, according to you, it's significantly superior to the tongue of the Navy that set its nation's flag on the seven seas, that gave us many of the most important poets and prose writers who ever lived, and that made Man land on the moon?
>>
>>12187685
>excluding Joyce, Pound, and T.S. Eliot
>>
>>12187731
>putting those hacks on the same list as Pope
>>
>>12187546
Eh, he wrote in Portuguese, m8. Some of his translations in Spanish were done by his Spanish wife, though.
>>
>>12187731
Including Eliot would've been a mistake, though. He's nowhere near any of the other poets in the list.
>the American Founding Fathers
lol nobody cares about them amerifag. and it was german scientists the ones who put man on the moon.
>>
>>12187782
Oh yeah, sorry lol
>>
I once got called an elitist lit major for citing Borges in an essay.
>>
>>12188106
by who?
>>
>>12187495
Garcia Lorca is pretty great en mi opinión
>>
>>12188116
The profess of the class for which I wrote the essay.
>>
>>12188125
What subject? I assume not lit?
>>
>>12188131
Composition theory. So, yeah, no.
>>
>>12188150
Thats just sad that you had to learn composition from someone who dislikes people with interesting style. Sorry for your jealous professor friendo.
>>
The Virgin Communist Galeano vs. the Chad Elitist Borges
>>
>>12187546
>Borges
>Simple Spanish
I don't know if it is because I am a Mexican saltamuros, but for me Borges' Spanish is anything but simple. It is full of Argentinisms and philosophical/mathematical terms.
In most of the literary circles I've been Borges is considered a hard-to-read author.
Saramago is pretty accessible, tho.
>>
>>12188194
I'm Mexican, too. Borges writes in simple Spanish, are you from Mexico? Or are you some "Mexican"-American fag from the US? His language is pretty clear and concise, not a single thing missing, the fact the pseuds can't undertand his themes and such is a different matter.
>>
>>12188204
shit, I'm from Mexico, yo.
>>
>>12188106
Are you from latin america? It's really common for people here (i'm talking as an argentinian), to relegate Borges because he was an "elitist". I sincerely don't know where that comes from. Maybe because the people to whom he writes are well lectured, since he's full of allegories to the history of ideas and literature.
Overall your professor was probably jealous, because he could have never given classes in an uni without having a grad tittle. Like Borges did. He never graduated from uni, he didn't even go to uni, and gave lectures when he was an old man.
>>
>>12187685
lmao this deluded anglo.
Borges Cervantes and Vallejo singlehandle any of those faggots. Keep crying.
>>
>>12188177
Borges was incel tho. Galeano was a cool guy with friends everywhere, pretty sure he always had abundant and fresh pussy.
>>
>>12187685
because they were born in english speaking countries you retarded pigfuck
>>
>>12187495
I’m from spain. Here’s my short story.

>>441786601
A white liberal cuck found cheap property and moved his wife and her two mixed children there. He went off to work one morning at the cock sucking factory, and received an emergency call once there. Disappointed at not getting right down to sucking cock, he groaned and took the call. It was the cops. It turns out a nigger broke into his house, killed the two children, and raped his wife. The white liberal cuck said the man probably dindu nuffin, and that he would like to meet him and shake his hand, and apologize for all the institutionalized racism he must suffer from. He also requested his wife not do a rape kit, since they most likely won’t be pressing charges. He then rushed home and sucked the nigger cum out of his wife’s butthole.

The end.
>>
>>12188106
I was called out for being "too european" for citing Borges (I'm brazilian btw)
>>
>>12187531
Most Americans are Mexican. We can read Borges in Spanish just fine.
>>
>>12187753
>thinking pope is good
jejejeje
>>
>>12188504
>Borges was incel
This is true. Yet his very few stories and poems dealing with love are exceptional. Fills me with feels, as I've always wanted to experience love but never have and like Borges I'm too much of an autist to make women see me as a potential love partner rather than a boring nerd.
>>
>>12188473
Peronia represents. We both know there is a strong political influence as to why he's considered Elite.
>>
>>12188492
Rulfo is god like, probably the best piece of writing ever put on paper, easily the best latin based text, but him alone could bitch slap the majority of faggy Anglo list
>>
>>12187495
Anyone have any recs for writers similar to Borges? I know he's very unique but anything with flashes of similiarity might do desu. I've already read all of his fictions and essays that have been translated to English, should I bother with looking at his (translated) poetry too?
>>
>>12189302
umm hard to think about it.

If you liked the fictional biographics try

Marcel Shwab - Imaginary lives
Roberto Bolano - la literatura nazi en america.

I think Machado de Asis has something like that too, but I dont really know about him.
>>
>>12187546
>Borges
>Bummed that he can't take up the mantle of his grandfather's martial glory
>Writes hyper-masculine stories about knife fights, fraternal love, and murder.

>Saramago
>Literal communist
>Novels filled with passive aggressive fuck men, women are the superior gender
>Blindness: lol man bad, woman good
>Death with Interruptions: randomly throws in line about male doctors looking at female nurses with "predatory stares". Doesn't add anything to the plot.
>Too effete to use punctuation

Borges
>>
>>12188504
>incel
>married twice

I want this meme to end.
>>
>>12189023
Lmaoing at your taste beaner. Rulfo was inspired by Faulkner and was assblasted everytime someone compared him to Faulkner.
>>
>>12189859
his first marriage was in 1967, when he was blind and close to the 80 years old.
>>
>>12189302
I’ve always found Calvino to be similar in some ways, an interest in the mystical and mathematical, many stories that are almost like a narrative construction of a mathematical theorem.
>>
>>12189876
He was 68 then. Besides, he probably frequented prostitutes for most of his adult life. You know that used to be a pretty normal thing for men to do?
>>
>>12189302
Read Thomas de Quincy. Borges himself said that he was just a poor imitation of him or something like that. Not true, but i think is the "closest" thing you will ever find to Borges, nothing really comes anywhere close, maybe very ancient mythology.
>>
>>12189816
>>12189879
>>12190032
Thanks a lot amigos. Will check em out.
>>
>>12188117
Underrated post
>>
>>12189937
Isn't Borges sexual life hotly debated? I've heard he died a virgin even.
>>
>>12190032
Not that guy but what exactly would you recommend from Quincey, to start with at least?
>>
>>12189937
His father sent him to a prostitute at early age
He never mention sex on his tales (except that weird ass reverse rape woman story)

Yeah just a weird nerd dude
>>
>>12190032
Typical argentine humbleness
>>
>>12187753
>>12187808
kys my friends. please return to nonfiction asap.
>>
>>12187495
Rulfo
García Márquez
Sábato
Cortázar
Bioy Casares

None of those ever reached peak Borges level but they got close enough at some point that they should be checked out
>>
>>12188716
No good brazil literature whatsoever and they dare to call out anyone for anything.
>>
>>12190098
>>12190098
dunno, anything. just pick something up form him and read it. if you dig it, go for more. if not, then at least you gave it a shot
>>
>>12187495
>t. hasn't read Asturias
>>
>>12189302
Umberto Eco. If Borges were a novelist he'd be sort of like this.
>>
>>12187543
The only English translations that are okay are his collaborative translations with Norman Thomas Di Giovanni, which Borges said "surpassed his own works in Spanish"

God, he's such a fucking troll, I love Borges

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.