[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Idk what the usual OP contains for these edition

I'll start off with my two questions:

>1. Does anyone have experience with and opinions on the LBX Armatus II plate carrier?
I picked up one on the cheap when they were running a sale with the Banger back panel combo a while back but some of the reviews I've read from non-airshitters are making me wonder if it's worth keeping. It feels about as solid as the issued Eagle PC I used constantly during my ZOGbot days so idk.

>2. What's the best place to get affordable non-Chinesium non-AR500 plates these days?
Anything at least equivalent in protection and quality to current-issue SAPIs is fine.
>>
File: Iris_concept02.jpg (1.23 MB, 2508x1771)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>55288798
when do you get armor? is it just for larping or do you guys actually wear it?
>>
>>55289744
>when do you get armor?
Before you need it lol.
>>
>>55288798
it theoretically is good, just built with out-of-america labor/parts. at least i hope that lbt would keep their standards just minus the american labor/materials as necessary
>>
>>55290870
Inconsistent QC and problems stemming from it was one of the few cons I'd heard about the LBX line.

Seems like it's as solid as the mainline LBT stuff if you're lucky and get a good one though.

Only other con I see is the buckles for attaching the modular front and back panels aren't the industry standard so you're limited to LBT's panel options unless you make some modifications.
>>
>>55291321
is it possible to access the webbing the buckle is attached to? if so, cut off the old buckle and use some itw repair buckles
>>
>>55289744
It's usually 50% LARPers, 25% buying it as just-in-case protection for the Big Igloo or next chimpout and 25% serious military/LE/security professionals privately purchasing and actually need the quality stuff in these threads.
>>
>>55291374
Hey now, my LARP is supreme. I like LARPing that I am magically 15lbs heavier
>>
So I'm looking for some form of flak jacket/carrier combo like an IBA or IOTV or whatever. Where's the best place I can find one with some good soft armor that will last a long while? I've become increasingly paranoid about full body coverage and the idea of fragmentation. Your basic plate carrier won't be of great help for that.
If this carrier also has attachments for crotch, neck, and arm protection, that would be good too. Camo doesn't really matter, I'll probably just spray it OD green or something and be done with it if it's not some pattern already, such as one of those blue UN vests I used to see online but can't really find anymore. Was thinking I may do the same for my existing helmet cover anyways, it's a multicam arid one (all they had in stock) and I don't feel like ordering a different color from my local milsurp store. If anyone knows how to dye it I'd like to know, I have no idea how multicam interacts with dyes. I know UCP and its equally retarded cousins would turn all kinds of crazy colors when exposed to the wrong dye, like you try making it a shade of green and it turns bright purple.
Anyway, it has to take plates most importantly. I already have some plates and a basic carrier, but I want that flak coverage now just in case. The idea of a pistol round or random flak bit piercing my side even though I'm all armored up just makes me incredibly paranoid.
>>
>>55291631
idk, find a surplus IOTV (that has the soft armor). Parts for them are common and it wrote the book on full soft armor coverage.

Cons - mostly comes in UCP, but plenty of people have dyed UCP to look passable. Take out the soft armor before doing so, obviously. Lookup what others have experimented with color-wise to find what works for you.

Other con - full soft armor is stifling in any weather hotter than a nice autumn day, or if you are moving much.
>>
>>55291818
>>55291631
there's shittons of IOTV gen 4s in OCP, get one of those. Alternatively just buy a plate carrier like a normal human being and add on bits of armor
>>
>>55291818
Where can I find them? I've looked around online but it seems like online surplus shops are pretty scarce these days.
I still plan to keep my existing carrier if I do get it also, I just want to have the option because I'd rather be mildly uncomfortable than be dead. I've seen too many vids of people in full plates catching a tiny pistol round to the side or leg and bleeding to death right where they fell or getting finished off as they fumbled for their medkit or tried to stop the bleeding with their hands in a panic. I don't want to die like that.
>>55291839
Again, where can I find them? Are there any sites that still sell this stuff, or anywhere IRL I should be going?
>just buy a plate carrier like a normal human being and add on bits of armor
How do I add soft armor to my carrier? I'm not even sure where to find good soft armor anymore. I spent too long looking for soft inserts to go in my IBA only to find that it was an impossible task as all sellers were on the other side of the country and refused to ship. I broke down and bought a cheap Condor carrier because the plates sag significantly in the IBA without the soft armor inserts.
>>
Where can I find a ach or any other helmet that isnt chinkshit?
>>
>>55291962
Probably not an option anymore, but I ordered my LWH from Fort Bragg a few years ago. If you like the PASGT I'd recommend looking for one, as it's just a direct upgrade of that design, including the little visor. Has the UCH straps and is Level IIIa protection rather than just Level II as the PASGT was. Other than that, looks the same. My only gripe was finding a cover that would fit it as the PASGT covers were too small. May just be the local selection though.
>>
>>55289744
I have a surplus police vest that I wear when shooting out on public land so I (hopefully) don't die to an out of battery discharge or a ND or something. It was cheap and I don't have a *ton* of trust in it. But I'm also not asking much of it.
>>
>>55288798
Who makes good soft armour?
I'm doing some collections work and I need something I can wear under a shirt.
>>
>>55292145
https://www.fortbraggsurplus.us/Kevlar--Marine-Lightweight-Helmet-LWH_p_3192.html
Looks okay?
>>
>>55292254
>$310 new
>$240 used
Jesus, 2020 and after really drove up prices didn't it? I paid like $135 for mine, don't remember if it was new or used, but I think it was new. Got it a year or two before the pandemic crap.
If you have the money and can't find any better then go ahead, it should do its job well enough. But I'd look around and see if you can't find better first. If you can't find a better price, then buy this one. Your life is worth any price, I say. May want to see what Prior Issued means, if it was just worn and hasn't been shot then I'd spring for that one as it's cheaper and will do the same thing. If it's sustained any damage from bullets or flak then don't, buy a new one.
>>
>>55288798
I have a Armatus 2 the qaulity is fine but there isn't much of a reason to get it over the Modular plate carrier for half the price
>>
>>55291374
My homeland shares a border with Russia. They're busy at the moment but I am now prepared accordingly. If the krauts can sperg out and start an unwinnable two-front war so can my mongoloid neighbors.
>>
File: 1663268916662005.png (27 KB, 752x947)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>55288798
>>55289744
>>55290848
Yeah
>>
>>55292441

know of any other places for legit helmets? they aint got any larges in stock. is ACH the best a poor civilian can get?
>>
>>55293923
I guess so unless you want to look at high cut autism. Mine's actually an extra large as well, maybe see if they have those in stock still?
Other than that I usually don't shop online much these days. I got banned from Ebay at least over petty autism, from what other anons tell me it doesn't sound I broke any actual rules and some faggot mod was trying to extort me.
Anyways, I usually shop around locally where I live. I realize it may not be very helpful depending on where you are, but if you can search around milsurp shops you should be able to find something every now and then. Every day, boomers who were hoarding surplus either need to sell it off to pay for alimony, a new truck, or some stupid debt or another. That or they die and their kids, who they failed to instill any of their values in, sell everything they had for pennies on the dollar because they just want to get rid of it. At the least you should be checking obituaries in the paper and making and note to quickly visit your local gun stores and milsurp shops to see what they left behind. Smaller trickles come from the former reason, they're forced to sell some off every now and then. I managed to get a Star Model 30 in nearly pristine condition because this boomer vet bought it back in the 80s, put two mags through it, and then oiled it and left it in the case until a few months ago, when he had to sell it to pay for a boat or something. Or maybe it was dealing with a divorce, I forget. Anyways, other than the sight being adjusted all the way to the left for some reason and the grips being a little warped at the edges, it's in great condition and shoots well enough. Groups were fine, but my aim was off because you need to use a flathead to adjust the sights. I'll be taking it back to the range next week.
>>
>>55294047
Thanks, new to shopping for a helmet so been trying to collect sources and info on whats best/works. appreciate the info

If anyone else knows good sources, please drop a link
>>
>>55291631
Buy a velocity lpaac and inserts or an overt cop vest that will take safariland balcs panels
>>
>>55293923
>>55294227

Unironically Sportsman's Guide. Shitty predatory MEMBER PRICING and shit, but their bare Italian SEPT2 shells are basically NIJ II for $25, and ACH pads/PASGT chinstraps work. Word of warning, they have no clue how helmet sizes work and will send them at random; you might get an XL, you might get an M, no one knows, not even Sportsman's Guide.

They also have surplus rectangular Italian poly level III plates for $40 a pop. No resistance to steel core, but they'll stop up to 7.62x51 NATO if it's lead FMJ, and only weight about 3 pounds each.
>>
>>55294549
>SEPT2

Agreed, for the time being it should be considered the go-to poorfag helmet. It's everything PASGT and the DDR M56 used to be, cheap, somewhat effective, and available.
>>
>>55294549
Any reliable EU sources for those lvl3 plates?
>>
>>55294267
This is a good option.
I have an old eagle industries lvac with safariland balls panels.
Got in New in bag, never used, for like 100 beans on ebay once everyone jumped ship for newer more trendy gear.
It is thick and heavy as shit, but I can still wear it under a sweatshirt and you can't tell.
It has provisions for plates in addition as well so whenever I get around to picking up level 4s I can just slide them in.
>>
>>55294881
in Europe you can't get yank plates because ITAR and you can't get Euro plates because producers won't sell to civilians. you can buy chink plates with Euro labels, or you can buy chink plates directly via alibaba for half the price.
>>
>>55289744
I don't know about everywhere, but here in Utah it's common to see people working out in them as diy weight vests, to the point that no one bats an eye. If you're fit, you can larp and then claim you're just a gym bro if anyone asks
>>
>>55291321
my esstac kwyi placard doesn't fit exactly in my 6049 (the carrier's clips are like half an inch wider) but it still clips in 100% and the velcro holds down so it works fine
dunno bout the other carriers but it's totally doable to run other placards
>>
>>55296041
I was talking about the Italian surplus plates. There are several sources for EU made plates and some US made ones too.
>>
>>55292214
I've seen Crye AVS, Coolmax, US Armor, and Safariland if you're loaded, all in use by guys working armored cars or rural Sheriffs deputies who bought their own shit because their issued vest was crap.

Shit ain't exactly cheap though.
>>
File: s-l1600(2).jpg (81 KB, 1155x1155)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>55291631
Surp iotv, or you could get one of those italian vests from sg when they go on sale for around $200.
>>
File: Condor LCS_.jpg (93 KB, 679x897)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
I´m from Finland and I have an empty plate carrier for our Reservist 3 gun competition and other larping. The question is what plates should I buy.

The use cases are competition, larping and an extremely unlikely Russian invasion. My position in the reserves is a supply officer, so if i´m being shot at with a rifle it means that everything has gone to shit anyway. Therefore I am way more worried about shrapnel.

So, Should I get a Hesco L210 Plates https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/hesco-l210-armor-plate-special-rifle-threat-stand-alone/64120

Pros: Will protect my most vital parts from rifle rounds.
Cons:
-Heavy
-Expensive
-Has a shelf life
-Somewhat uncomfortable to larp in.

Or should I go with just a Level IIIA soft "plates"
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/cpe-armour-panel-iiiaplus15j-20mm-/31926
Cons: Does not stop rifle rounds
Pros:
+Cheap
+Light
+Comfy
+Will protect from fragments.

Even in case of an invasion it is very unlikely that i would see actual combat, and the army will probably issue me a flack jacket anyway. Are level III+ Plates actually worth it for me?
>>
File: 1634688327262.jpg (1.32 MB, 1128x1200)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>55301183
Plates don't really have a shelf life, you just have to be careful about cracking them, and if there comes a time you really need armor you'd want rifle plates.
>>
>>55301183
Is standard Russian issue steel core? If not, I would look at a UHMWPE plate like Hesco m3800

If steel core is on the table, I've yet to find any SRT plate for less than $1000 that handles it and weighs under 4.5lbs. Seems like that's just the way it goes.

I'd also recommend a mutlicurve plate Hesco m210, Hoplite 19513 over a single curve like the l210, but YMMV.
>>
>>55291631
unless you find a flak jacket at a yard sale stupid cheap you will end up paying too much for one
I thought I wanted a Flak Jacket but after trying to find one, I ended up buying a plate carrier and ceramics
better protection and not much more money
>>
>>55293923
for helmets, a bump helmet is probably all you need.
you are not very likely to get shot in the head but are much more likely to have something fall on your head like a board or stick or rock
so you probably dont need a ballistic helmet
get something comfortable you are more likely to have on your head when you need it
>>
>>55289744
DIY weight vest, something to reload my rifle out of, just-in-case
>>
>>55303874

Russian issue 5.45 has always had a steel core, so all-poly armor is generally no go. I don't know if anon can get Botach/Battle Steel in Benisland, but it's "diverted" PLA issue production in III+ and IV flavors, and will at least stop M855 steel tip out of standard barrels at the NIJ testing distance of 45 feet. Figure M855 is about equal to 5.45mm 7N6 in terms of anti-armor performance since 7N6 was officially replaced (but not really because lol corruption we can't even issue soldiers with non-moldy bandages and food that didn't expire in 2015) with proper AP loads.
>>
Anybody done any tests on these poly plates?

https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-gear-level-iii-pe-polyethylene-body-armor-10x12-plate.html
>>
>>55288798
>Anything at least equivalent in protection and quality to current-issue SAPIs is fine.
you are looking at top-tier civvie plates than, as current esapis will stop multiple hits of m2ap, m80a1, m995, etc.
>>55303874
possibly not standard, but very common, mostly just m855 equivalents. so all-poly is inadvisable.
>>55307373
as much as I still cant forgive rma for their past shit, their 1092v2 seems quite good for small caliber steel core threats, and large caliber ball.
>>
>>55288798
Should I get a slick PC with nipple hooks for clipping on a chest rig (e.g., Mayflower LEPC + Pusher chest rig), or just kit out a PC with all my mags and shit and not trouble myself with the decision of whether to armor up or not?
>>
Does anybody have the /bag/ armor purchasing guide infographics and are they still considered good?
>>
>>55291374
I got it just because the deigo plates from sportsman's guide were so cheap
>>
>>55304044
I don't understand why every other anon here just doesn't read the post before replying.
I have plates already. I want a combo flak-carrier like an IOTV or IBA for them because I feel naked on my exposed sides. I am paranoid about flak or a stray pistol bullet piercing my side or groin, I already have a front and back plate as well as a carrier.
I do have an IBA already, the issue is that I have no soft inserts for it and it sags with plates in it. I just bought a shitty Condor carrier as cope.
I also already have an expired Vietnam flak vest, but that's nearly useless besides larping and collector purposes and I'd rather not fuck with it as it couldn't even stop a 9mm now, maybe not even .22 or shotgun pellets anymore.
>>
File: RMA 1192 Weight lol.png (800 KB, 1209x797)
800 KB
800 KB PNG
>>55308054
>1092v2
As usual for RMA, it's laughably overweight for a "Level III+/RF2" plate. 5.6 pounds on the spec-sheet, probably over 6 pounds in reality.
That's heavier than the ESAPI (size M = 5.5 pounds) and not much lighter than top-tier M993/Swiss P rated plates.
They're probably still using fiberglass, lol.
>>
>>55310249

Jesus, you can get 10x12" Botach IVs for like $150 and just over 5.5 lbs each. Very sad.
>>
i'm still waiting for nextdayarmor to restock side plates
hoplite is a faget
>>
>>55289744
Because it will increase your chances of surviving should you ever have the misfortune of someone shooting at you. Civil distress, natural disasters, food shortages, power outages, etc. All things which can strain unprepared people's resources and make them hostile towards others.

We had Antifa threaten to come burn down my side of town during the Peaceful Gatherings of 2020 and my friends and I staged our plate carriers, guns, and comms just in case. Feels good to have some protection and capability in an emergency instead of just hoping nothing bad happens.
>>
File: 718427_ts.jpg (61 KB, 1155x1155)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>55307807
>NIJ Rated for up to six hits from 7.62 Nato bullets (.308 Winchester) with velocities up to 2780 fps/ 7.62 x 51mm ( MSC,PS Ball)
>Tested with XM193 at 45 ft with recorded velocities in excess of 3400fps from a 20" barrel

They don't say anything about it stopping steel core rounds, + is made up and whatever the manufacturer feels like. Get $40 plates from sg if you want pe armor.
>>
File: 68105u1591.png (2.97 MB, 1440x1421)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB PNG
/no-armor/ here. What's the best plate carrier or setup for .308? All the plate carriers I see are using 5.56. There doesn't seem to be many. 308 mag pouches for plate carriers

What is the advantage / disadvantage of carrying mag pouches on your plater carriers as opposed to having a plate carrier with a chest rig?
>>
>>55307807

Uneven performance, will not stop M80A1 or similar 7.62x51 steel-core AP equivalent. It will stop 5.56 M855A1 though. Compare to the $140 Botach III+, which stops M80A1 but not M855A1. Last I heard the former is more common than the latter due to foreign surplus.
>>
>>55314921
Who says it stops m855a1?
>>
closest thing to a gear queer thread, just bought an opscore fast SF and looking for electronic ear pro that mounts to the rails, what's decent?
>>
>>55314921
>https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tactical-scorpion-gear-level-iii-pe-polyethylene-body-armor-10x12-plate.html
You're thinking of the wrong plate, mate. The one at the link is a 3.3 pound all-poly plate. It won't even stop regular M855. It sure as shit won't stop either A1.
>>
>>55316977

You're right, I got the wrong link. Still, Botach and Italian surplus poly IIIs both mog it for the price and weight.

Tactical Scorpion is basically the overpriced Ebay scalper of body armor. Some of their stuff works nicely, but is ridiculously overpriced and/or overweight compared to other offerings that do about the same or even better.
>>
What's a good setup / plate carrier that'll hold 6 mags, radio, some other small essentials, and a pouch?
>>
>>55316548

I got the link mixed up with their III+ one, which is still a worse deal than Botach/Battle Steel. Tactical Scorpion is overweight, overpriced, or both for the protection it grants, which to be fair is acceptable.

Wish the $70 Italian ceramic III+/IV plates were still available. Weird size and grab bag whether the ceramic was cracked or not, but testing showed remarkable results for 6 lbs if you got one that passed the torque test. I managed to snag one before they ran out.
>>
Anons, thoughts on SafeLife FRAS? Eyeing this hard, but don't know anyone who has bought.
>>
>>55314082
chest rigs are stupid. you carry as much as you can on a belt because its the most comfortable thing you can wear and puts the least strain on your body. anything else gets put on the plate carrier.

example:
belt: canteen, ifak, 1-3 rifle mags, whatever else you wanna stuff on there like zip cuffs or chem lights or whatever else you need for larp.
PC: the rest of the mags you want to carry, admin pouch, more water like camel back, comms etc.

i cant imagine a hot situation where you'll want to bring more than 3 mags but wont want physical protection.
>>
>>55317373
Stealth Armor Systems Hexar is better. It's also the original. SafeLife FRAS is the knock-off clone version.
>>
>>55317423
Thanks for the heads up. Are any of their rifle armor systems fiber based and full coverage, or all ceramics with partial coverage?
>>
>>55317625
Hexar is exactly like FRAS -- it's polyethylene fiber based with ceramic hexagons on top. SAS can probably make custom sizes/cuts.
>>
>>55314082
Huh? Molle compatible means you can put any molle pouch on any molle vest, just get some 308 pouches and attach them.
https://infidelbodyarmor.com/308-magazine-pouch-4-mags.html
>>
>>55317729
Thanks, nigga.
>>
how good is hesco 3810 for a non-burger
>>
>>55318091
That's one of the best Level III+ plates that money can buy, in America or outside it.
>>
>>55291962
Can't you buy ECH's off tacswap or ebay?
>>
>>55308070
Former if you can afford, latter if not
Options are always nice
>>
>>55317383
Why not Ork yourself into not getting shot through sheer conviction (and ceramic)?
>>
>>55288798
Get whatever you think is comfortable and whatever plate you trust, if it's not NIJ certified ask for testing reports and make sure it's multishot rated....

Alos body armor doesn't make you invincible, you're still pretty vunerable wearing one and if your getting it for SHTF you'll probably die anyways if you get shot and don't have access to a doctor and an operating room
>>
>>55319674
Who was that soldier with the Swedish K who took a couple bullets to the lung and lived?
>>
>>55310249
must admit this is the first Ive heartd about overweight plates from RMA, 1192 is listed as 5.9lb, and admitedly thats still an unnacceptable overage, and it wouldnt really surprise me,
the v2 is still not officially specd, buy *alegedly* would only be marginally heavier than the v1 @ 4.5lb
>>
>>55321419
The v2 is already on their website, listed at 5.6 pounds for a medium, which is bad:
https://rmadefense.com/store/body-armor/level-iii-plus-body-armor/multi-curve-nij-07-tested/
RMA are a shit-tier company.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.