[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Is .350 legend here to stay at this point? It kinda seems like the perfect round for what I want in an AR, but I don't like owning calibers that are too obscure. I see the ammo in stock all over the place for about the same price as 300 BLK so it seems to be fairly established, but I never see people talking about it, which worries me.
>>
I've never even heard of it before this post, so I would guess not.
>>
>>54151960
Its entirely predicated on “straight wall cartridges only for hunting” laws, which are complete bullshit and only in backwaters like Ohio. If you want a thumper theres .450 and .458, if you want a hunting AR .223 and .308 work fine. It only exists due to idiotic lawmakers. I would skip it entirely unless I lived i. ohio.
>>
>>54152001
This OP, I've never heard of it either. Stick with .308
>>
I'm reasonable sure there is one single amon constantly bringing up 350 Legend. Nobody cares about your compliance hunting cartridge.
>>
>>54152001
My issues are that it's significantly cheaper both to reload and buy factory than .450/.458 and it uses all 5.56 components except barrel and magazine which is very convenient.
>>54152031
I do intend to build an AR10 eventually, but this is for sort of a different purpose. I'm actually trying to decide between .350 and .300 blackout, but .350 seems superior for everything other than shooting suppressed out of ridiculously short barrels, which I don't intend to do.
>>
>>54151960
It's boomer fudd trash.
>>
>>54151960
>Is .350 legend here to stay at this point?
Are boomers here to stay at this point?
>>
its always at the walmart out here w/e i guess idk
>>
>>54151960
>be me
>live in peaceful suburban neighborhood
>bullet hits front of house
>tumbling keyhole entry
>penetrates siding, insulation, and drywall
>penetrates back of TV cabinet
>bounces off Nintendo with no damage
>recover bullet
>it's solid copper and pointed
>mic it
>it's consistent with .350 Legend
fucking boomers
>>
>>54152207
My nearest neighbor lives a mile away. Seethe harder, bugman.
>>
>>54152207
Nintendium stronk

>>54151960
It's reasonably popular in the states where it is legal for deer, and many people have made ARs with it. My buddy likes to hunt with his AR pistol in .350. Very lightweight, and it meets the 5" minimum pistol barrel length in Ohio handily. Sure it being lightweight also means it kicks quite a bit more than you'd expect, but for low volume deer shooting it's 100% fine. I don't see it going anywhere in those states but I doubt it'll take off terribly well elsewhere. At the least it's easy to reload for, its legal, and most importantly it's fairly cheap. even powerpoint ammo is (in current prices) 1.50 each, which is still cheaper than corelokt .30-30 that has been in production for darn near a century at this point. FMJ isn't terribly expensive either. And it performs admirably in its intended range too which is a nice bonus.

There's just not a lot of talk about it because
A: it's not about Ukraine or Russian equipment that few people here has meaningful experience with but loves to talk about anyway
B: It's not about ARs or AKs or other .223/7.62 Soviet rifles
C: It's not a glock
D: It's not about impending zogbot black people with faux covid staging a riot to vaccinate your kids with the gay gene.
E: Very few people on /k/ seem to hunt, and fewer shoot hunting bullets because hunting bullets cost a lot more than tula .223.

Same reason people on /k/ barely talk about over under shotguns. Few people own them because few people can afford them, and they aren't tactical. But OUs are certainly not going away.
>>
I'd say it's here to stay. the biggest possible bullet to fit in a .223 form factor. I'm surprised it took them so long to make it.
>>
>>54151960
innacurate pos round, might as well just buy an AK at that point
>>
>>54151960
I think it has found a nice niche. Its the mini-450 bushmaster. You lose like, one round of capacity on a magazine compared to 5.56, but you double muzzle energy, impact area, and still get enough velocity for the magic voodoo whatever happens around 2200fps that makes things deader gooder.
Also you can get those velocities with a reasonably short barrel ~12". Also you can do subsonics if you want.
>t. making an HD gun in 350 legend.
>>
>>54152607
In the states that are its target audience do you think you can hunt deer with an AK?
>>
>>54152334
Bigger is not necessarily better. Especially with guns.
>>
File: deer posting.png (966 KB, 857x768)
966 KB
966 KB PNG
>>54152328
While I agree with you for the most part, plenty of people on /k/ do hunt, it's just the younger demographic controls the site pretty heavily, and the older users who do hunt don't bother trying to have a proper discussion on such an unfortunately degraded platform.
>>
>>54151960
it was created as a straight walled cartridge because some states have laws restricting hunting on necked cartridges
it's a very capable cartridge, but I don't live in a state where that is a concern, so I would choose 300blk
>>
>>54153131
I'm not saying it's better because it's big. it's just that it occupies a certain market spot it will never be kicked off of.
>>
>>54152001
Such stupid laws, I understand going no lead but straight wall is just stupid.
>>
>>54153600
Yeah, and we already established that bigger is not better. So, no, it is not guaranteed a stable niche.
>>
>>54153624
It dates from the early smokeless powder days when bottle neck high velocity cartridges were just becoming a big thing and people were concerned about stray bullets travelling much much further than the old straightwalled blackpowder loads of the time.
>>
>>54151960
It's a straight wall cartridge for states with retarded caliber restrictions. It's as dead as .450 bushmaster
>>
>>54153715
That actually makes more sense, thought it was some backwards implementation. Friendly fire during hunting used to be a problem, now with far less hunters and regulations plus hunter orange, not so much.
>>
There is no harm in owning a .350 upper; it mates right up to your standard AR-15 lower with no need for heavier triggers as with .450 BM or .458 socom. Magazines are readily modified (if needed) and lose no capacity, unlike the bigger straight walled calibers which are single stack.
When the coof got hot and Baltimore was burning you couldn't find .556 or .308, but .350 was in stock at most retailers.
>>
>>54153816
>Magazines are readily modified (if needed)
Wait is that true? What kind of modification is required?
>>
>>54152052
I am that anon. And the fact that I didn't start this thread makes me feel weird.
>>
>>54153832
Most AR mags have a rib that helps keep 5.56 from moving forward in the mag (helps prevent feeding issues). With a straight walled case there is no bottleneck for that rib to index on and so it'll just nudge the cartridge inward, creating it's own feeding issues.
If present, they would need to be ground down.
>>
>>54153832
You can turn a 30rd 556 pmag into a 30rd 350 legend by removing the vertical ridges within the mag that indent where the shoulder of a 556 would be. Tbh I'm lazy and just stick to the 20rd steel cmmg mags cuz they pretty.
>>
>>54153816
The harm is needing to buy an upper that you will rarely if ever use.
>>
>>54154584
There is no "need".
>Already have an AR in (whatever cal you want)
>'look at this, a cartridge that is compatible with my existing firearm's
>Buy another upper, can now shoot two very different cartridges from one platform by toolless conversion
There is no "harm" in letting an upper sit on a shelf/in a safe until you need it (kind of like any gun, but costs less and isn't regulated).
>>
>>54153948
You aren't the only one.
>>
File: IMG_20220623_192002.jpg (2.64 MB, 3000x4000)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
>>54154584
Depends on where you are and what guns you already have.
>>
>>54151960
I see it as a better alternative to .300 BLK that's got a better chance of sticking around than .30 Wilson Combat (I mean .300 HAM'R). I've got 12.5 inch 1:10 twist a barrel on order with McGowan and I'm gonna be loading as heavy as 280 grains.
>>
> .350 legend
> Straight wall, no case trimming required
> Works in the most common rifle in America
> Claims to launch a 180gr @ 2100fps, so 200gr at 2000fps is possible
> Optimized around fucking .357" magnum pistol bullets instead of .358" rifle bullets
God damn it, they were nearly so close to beinging back a modernized .35 Remington
>>
>>54152093
In what fucking way retard. defend your statement that .350 legend, a round designed for people to hunt using AR-15s that mandate straightwalled cartridges only, is somehow boomer fudd trash.
>>
>>54151960
The only reason to buy .350 is that you live in ohio, bought an ar in 350, and will never be able to afford another gun in your life.
>>
>>54151960
It is popular in southern michigan and (((ohio)))
>>
Won't lie, I am liking what I'm reading here. Never hated the round, I like middle fingers to stupid laws. But now I'm thinking of a brush rifle for deer.
Anyone got experience shooting theirs through light foliage? I know that 7.62x39mm fmj will turn 12 inch aspens into concealment.
>>
>>54155627
I get that it's a hunting thing, but I'd love to see 125 grain pistol bullets being lobbed at 2700 fps. You'd get awesome disintegration and a fucking nasty wound. Great predator round.
>>
File: bonnie-clyde-death-car.jpg (176 KB, 1033x689)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>54155852
>I get that it's a hunting thing
Your words, not mine.
>>
>>54154584
Well the good thing about straight wall cartridges is they don't grow when fired. So you can typically reload them indefinitely, as long as you anneal them every 5 or so firings.
>>
>>54151960
if you're buying it for hunting compliance or sheer "want" of a wyldecat cartridge, that's absolutely fine. if you're specifically targeting 350 legend in terms of ammo availability/"staying-force" of the round, you would be better suited with 308 or a "standard" cartridge that won't disappear in 20 years and force you to order from boutique factory loaders or hand-load at home.
all cartridges have their pros/cons for a specific application, and you know your circumstances better than anyone
>>
>>54155750
Probably OK through brush. You can load any .357 magnum bullet into it, and the normal rounds are pretty short for weight. I think that's the main thing for getting through foliage.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (204 KB, 1280x720)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>54151960
Make sure to pair it with a Magnum Research BFR
>>
>>54155980
Do you think? .300 BLK will still be going strong jn 20 years?
>>
>>54155980
>wyldecat cartridge
Bruh. It was developed by fucking Winchester and is available in every big box sporting goods store and Wal-Mart I've been in lately. It is, by definition, not a wildcat cartridge.
>>
350 legend is only good for cutting the brass down to 19mm for ez 9×19 cases. Repurpose the powder and bullets for something else.
>>
>>54157463
Are you shooting 9mm with rifle primers anon
>>
>>54152001
Ohio alone with its arbitrary law seals .350 Legend forever. Everyone there is like some #juggalyfe fork lift operator who already owns a rifle in that and hunts.
>>
>>54153624
some states require a straight wall cartridge for hunting.
>>
>>54157547
how else are you going to push it to 55k psi without blowing primers?
>>
>>54157547
Not him, but I used to reload 9x23 using cut down .223 brass with magnum small rifle primers. Then they reduced major power factor and 9x19 major became the new hotness.
>>
>>54155852
90 grain Hornady XTPs at 3000 fps. It'd probably not exit on a Coyote.
>>
.350 Legend is a modern gunsmithing wildcat turned standardized cartridge that only exists because someone looked at a one off AR15 barrel manufacturer's side project and decided it was cool enough to tweak it for better feeding and commercialize it. Hes a great guy too.
http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/357rm.shtml
It is true that the round has a set niche in the odd state with laws against bottleneck rifle cartridges for durr hunting, but lets be real, that isn't why it was brought to market. Its just cool.
>>
>>54152069
350 over 300 every day of the week
>>
>>54155627
I hate Winchester so fucking much for not using .358 bullets, and shitting on .30-30 in the initial marketing.
>>
File: chef.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>54151960
>.350 Legend
Me and the little lady was out at the gun store, when suddenly this HUGE crustacean from the paleolithic era came out of the water and walked in
>>
>>54151960
Who makes that tiny mag?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.