[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I've decided on a 6-24x50 optic for my .30-06. I can afford up to a thousandish dollars, but I can only responsibly afford maybe 700 street price. I found a nice deal on an Athlon BTR, but I've heard the glass could be better. Is it bearable or detrimental in dawn/dusk conditions?
>>
whats it for? precision/long-range?
or hunting?
if it's the latter you really don't need 24x.
>>
Glass Quality is a meme, so you can pay for their perceived quality. Trust me Chinks make the same quality of glass a fucking swede.
>>
>>51192784
Because I like it and would like to shoot 500+ yards recreationally. I know all I *need* is 3-9 but I want 6-24
>>
>>51192791
This is cope
>>
>>51191142
leupold VX series are pretty fresh. I was able to get a VX-6 for about 900 new a while back. The glass quality and durability of their stuff is great. you can find one of their longer zooms for around 1000 if you look. they specifically advertise better dusk performance in the VX HD series stuff too, but mine is fantastic
>>
>>51192802
24x is grossly excessive for even 1k yd, you're better off saving weight on a lower magnification optic. Weight/magnification/glass quality/price are all compromises, so you should figure out what will really suit your use-case best, especially since you're a poorfag.
>>
>>51192791
No, I've looked through good and bad scopes. Glass quality is a huge issue since I hunt (fuck you I think bigger scopes look nicer) mostly at dawn and dusk. I know this much, but I can't find this specific Athlon to hold in store
>>
>>51192825
But I want one
>>
>>51192819
i'd like to add for glass quality the contrast is great, there is no distortion, or any chromatic aberrations. the field of view is incredible. its like looking through a window, on par with my acog
>>
>>51192835
Then you're going to get a shitty heavy one with bad glass in order to have magnification that you will quite literally never use in a practical way. 10-16x top end is already more than you need, and I'd suggest you look at that range. You'll also have a lower low-end for when you're blasting baby bucks at 25yd. Leupold gold rings would be a good place to start.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.