[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Post ANY gun questions here about any future buys you might or are considering to make and get hopefully get "helpful" opinions from /k/ on your purchase.

I'll go first. Would a IWI GALIL ACE GEN 2 in 7.62x39 with a 8.3 inch barrel be a good choice for a Modern Rifle Platform, all my other rifles are milsurp and I have a cz-75b for a pistol. I'm not really an "AR-15" to put it into words nor an "AK" guy, but I love most battle rifles and non-standard "aka cookie cutter" rifle designs. I was wondering if it would be a good choice for me to get it as a jack of all trades rifle or should I say "pistol" with the short barrel length. I heard 7.62x39 out a short barrel preforms well. Thoughts?
>>
I am Ausfag.
Hoping that the cz600 trail makes it here despite our dumb laws.
Want to get one in 223rem
Am I stupid to want to get it ready chambered in 223 wylde for a lightweight cope rifle?
>>
>>51183604
>I heard 7.62x39 out a short barrel preforms well. Thoughts?
It's still going to be a meme blaster at 8.3" and the Gen 2 ACE is inferior to the Gen 1.
>>
>>51183622
Why is the Gen 2 inferior to Gen 1? I heard it was a upgrade due to being able to take AR stocks.
>>
Is pic related the best 5.56 piston driven rifle option under $2k at the moment? I can’t decide between this and another ar
>>
>>51183681
Gen 2 doesn't come with iron sights or a lightening cut receiver. It was obviously just a cost-saving measure. Yes it comes with Memelok and AR buffer tube, but the Gen 1 handguard and stock were fine. People just like the idea that they can customize any gun they buy, even though most people who buy it will keep the SB Tactical brace.
>>
File: 1103.jpg (27 KB, 825x195)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>51183604
How is the QC and overall quality on the newer Ruger 10/22s?
I've heard some say they're fine, and others who say that the older ones were far superior.
Mainly asking for the base model.
>>
>>51183621
OP here. If its a gun you just wanna get it for fun, then it really isn't a stupid idea, Do you plan on using it for anything else then rec? If hunting then depends on what you want to hunt, if for defense; there are probably much better options for Aussies, I don't know much about your gun laws however.
>>
File: PTR-32P-listing-view.jpg (1.29 MB, 5911x2208)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>51183604
>IWI GALIL ACE GEN 2 in 7.62x39 with a 8.3 inch barrel be a good choice for a Modern Rifle Platform
The ACE is okay. It's pretty much the best AKalike on the market these days, but it's pretty overpriced.
If you want a weird wacky non-AR rifle, I'd consider one of PTR's HK-clone intermediates. I think it offers a lot more for the money.
>>51183866
They're fine. I have a 2015 production model, and it's a 10/22 all right. The older ones have nicer fit/finish but that's really about all. They're still the gold standard for a .22 semiauto.
>>
>>51183885
Ok thanks for your input. Just making sure these are still worth buying because some of the stuff I read online makes me feel weary.
It also doesn't help that overall QC on all gun manufacturers appears to have decreased (in varying degrees, depending on the company) since 2020, and the last gun I purchased was in late 2019.
>>
>>51183885
Let me add to this that for shorty non-AK 7.62x39s you should NEVER consider the CZ Bren 2. I don’t even think CZ is currently selling them since they haven’t been able to fix them or support them with basic spare parts, but they basically totally fucked the pooch and sold a bunch of nonfunctional guns. Both the 2S and 2MS models can start stovepiping terribly no matter the ammo type at random round counts, CZ’s “support” has only been a Reddit post over a year ago (way after the issues were known about anyway) with no follow up or fix. I agree the PTR is the move.
>>
>>51183852
Gotcha, I'm going to do a little research on lighting cut receivers, I appreciate the info. Also the sight not being included doesn't bother me to much but I do think it sucks that it doesn't come with one.

>>51183866
I couldn't comment personally on Ruger 10/22s. My father owns a TAKEDOWN and it works pretty well, but that's all I can say. hopefully others will post their opinion.
>>
>>51183928
I'd imagine whatever is said about the base model in terms of QC and overall quality would apply to all of the models. If your dad's takedown model works well and it was manufactured recently, that makes me feel at ease.
>>
>>51183885
I actually love PTR's and want a 91 GIR eventually. I'll have to look into the other models they sell. Thanks for the input.
>>
>>51183901
>It also doesn't help that overall QC on all gun manufacturers appears to have decreased
Yeah, it's really unfortunate, but from the company's perspective it's a lot more profitable to handle an RMA on one in ten guns than it is to perform proper QC on all ten. That's why I'm willing to shill for PTR, you don't really hear about them shipping guns out of spec. I'll also vouch for >>51183925, the Bren 2 is a true pile of shit that doesn't work at a fundamental level.

>>51183944
You won't regret it. I think an AR10 build can be a superior BR with the right parts (and my next big purchase will probably be an LMT), but nothing beats PTR for a thousand bucks flat.
>>
>>51183972
I realize that due to covid and the sudden all-time high demand for guns and gun accessories, all of the well-known, mass production manufacturers were kind of forced to pump out products at rapid speeds with relatively little regard for QC.
It's why I held off on buying any guns or gun accessories over 3 figures for all of 2020 and most of 2021.
I'd imagine the small-scale manufacturers who don't mass produce popular gun models for the general public+fulfil military contracts have an easier time tending to QC these days.
>>
>>51183972
>>51184001
*meant to say military/LEO contracts, but you understand me
>>
>>51183604
i need a scope recommendation with a good rangefinding reticle, something 10-15x
>>
>>51183604
Don't care what kind of guy you are. AK is better. AK with zenitco if you want rails n sheeit. Yes 7.62x39 performs well out of short barrels. Most of the trash ammo doesn't gain much after 12" except some slightly better results when it's windy anyway. It's loud and flashy though so use a strela or bulgarian 4 piece.
>>
File: 653clone.jpg (1.07 MB, 1280x1280)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>51183604
Afternoon gents, I've been eying this upper for a while but I'm unsure if it's good for a first AR
>Chrome lined
>14.7 pinned to 16"
>Pencil barrel
In all regards it seems like a solid, retro m4gery (a M4A-2 if you would, if you consider the 723 the M4A-1). Is there a good reason why I shouldn't go for it? If so, where should I start for a first AR?
>>
>>51183972
I have a question, Would you recommend the 32k in 7.62x39 or the 91 variants in .308. Also would the short 8.5 barrel 91 in .308 be a good idea or a meme, I know the recoil would be bad and Idk if most of a .308 ballistics are wasted on a shorter barrel. Not to mention I'm kinda a poorfag so the price of .308 would be something to consider.
>>
File: download (11).jpg (11 KB, 264x191)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
ARs are gay
>>
>>51184086
That SKS is gross, using anything but the stock mag is a crime
>>
>>51184033
Just in terms of practicality, I think nothing beats an 18" .308. If you're just looking for a rifle that can do pretty much anything, that's what you need. Short-barrel .308s are a really bad idea, they're not pleasant at all to shoot (recoil is the same, but muzzle flash and concussion become extremely nasty) and neuter the primary advantage of .308 which is its superior range. If you're poor, the cost of ammo isn't too bad; it's more than 5.56 which scares people but it's not really going to make a huge difference in your shooting habits. A PTR91 was my first rifle when I was a poverty-ridden collegefag, and I was able to get out at least once a month and ring steel at 100m, which was enough.

If you're looking for a compact rifle, I think a PCC makes more sense for the average /k/ommando than an x39 or .300BO. They offer better shootability in more or less the same range profile, and ammo is much, much more affordable, even in weird calibers like 5.7x28. CMMG's Banshees are really good for a rifle-format gun, and for something even cheaper I've been shocked by how much I like a Glock in a Flux brace.

basically tl;dr get a PTR-GI and a Flux brace for maximum return on investment for the budding /k/ommando. Your goal after that should be optics and a concealable handgun or a shotgun if you want it.
>>
>>51183833
You also have the nu and classic galils to consider. I can say from personal experience that an ARM clone will attract all eyes on the range, it's hard to argue that they aren't good looking rifles
>>
>>51184124
Thank you for the detailed input, I'm leaning more towards PTR first now, I have wanted one for years before the Galil so I should get it first. Might I ask, do you think the PSA AK-V 9MM is a good PCC. I looked at the CMMG Banshee, but I gotta say the look of it is definitely not for me.
>>
>>51183604
basically a more expensive mini-draco. 8in. is where you see performance drops but 12 (I think) inches is where it's relatively the same as a 16"
>>
>>51183604
>>51184086
what's a good mount for an sks bros? I do not care much for the iron sights
>>
>>51184265
>PSA AK-V 9MM
I know there were significant QC problems with the BCGs in the first iteration. PSA says they've fixed them, and all reports seem to be that the new version is pretty flawless. I'll certainly give them points for aesthetics, but my main consideration is the blowback operation. It's by no means a dealbreaker, but you might be surprised at the recoil they generate, especially with +P or +P+ ammo. The CZ mag compatibility is a bonus, they are very good magazines.

I suspect you won't be a fan of the aesthetics of the Grand Power SP9A3 (pic related), which would have been my next recommendation, but I think it warrants consideration. It's a well-regarded RDB pistol with a comfortable aftermarket that plays on the AK9 formula.
>>
>>51184456
I realized I should expand on this a little: magazines are in my opinion the most important aspect of PCCs. A gun with poor reliability typically suffers from poor-quality magazines. As a rule of thumb, everything that uses CZ Skorpion Evo or MP5 magazines (ex. the PSAK9 and Stribog) is g2g; everything that uses Glock magazines varies wildly between extremely good to extremely bad and requires specific research.
>>
>>51184028
Just get a flat-top with a 16" mid if you want a good starter AR. Clones are cool but ideally you want your first to be utilitarian. Then again as a clone carbine upper it looks fine, I see no functional reason why that wouldn't work well enough at putting holes in paper or people (assuming that's what you want out of it)
>>
>>51183621
Not really, any intermediate caliber bolt action is a good time. If you think it's a cope gun then so be it, anything is a cope gun if you do enough mental gymnastics to convince yourself you're coping
>>
Hey guys

So what would like for the platform how would you consider accuracy between ar15, galil 308 and ar10? Thx strongly considering galil
>>
Gonna be getting one of these for my truck by Christmas. Also a tacticool stock for my howa 1500.
Then, next year, I'm gonna binge buy a bunch of AR15 uppers in 7.62x39 and Tangfolio Witness slide in 9mm, and other parts for both so I can 3d print lowers and frames for them all and build a cheap enough arsenal. I hate going to the gun store.
>>
>>51184456
Thank you for all of the info. Sorry for the long response. You helped me narrow it down to PTR or PCC.
>>
>>51184978
Galil sucks because only $4k+ custom piston semi autos have sub MOA capability.
AR10/15s are usually 1MOA avg out of the box. Only difference is do you want a shorter range gun with lighter gun and ammo or a longer range gun with heavier gun and ammo.
>>
File: AUGARComparison.jpg (50 KB, 415x639)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>51183604
AUG
FOREVER AND ALWAYS
>>
Do I get a Perst-3 or a BT low profile mount, ACSS micro dot and foregrip for my SP5? I have an NV setup already.
>>
Hello /k/, I'm a retard that wants to buy a lever action rife without spending about a grand on it (looking directly at winchesters site, though).

Anyone got any good places I can do some research or that's willing to redpill me?
>>
I want baby's first 7.62 NATO. I plan to get an AR10, a PTR 91, and a DSA FAL at some point in the future, but the question is which do I get first?
AR10s seem to be pretty accessible, PTRs even moreso on top of being cheaper. FALs however, are more expensive and seem to be the hardest to find.
>>
>>51183833
5.56 CZ Bren 2 PISTOL variant (14” barrel), not the CARBINE variant, is a better choice and keeps you under 2k as well
>>
>>51185457
It depends on what you want. PTRs are undoubtedly cooler but are worse by just about every metric. If you want a utilitarian autoloading 308 for everything, AR-10. If you want a cool gun that encourages you to slap it, PTR
>>
>>51183604
Unless you put a can on it, a 8.3 inch 7.62x39 galil is a pretty loud fireball maker.

If that's your thing go for it but I'd hate to be near one being shot without hearing protection. You also are sacrificing some ballistics of 7.62x39 with a barrel that short. Not nearly as much as similar length 5.56 guns though.
>>
>>51185106
Oh I want to talk about this a little more now because I'm having like one of those sort of "sell your draco, ar15, and c308 because this gun effectively replaces all three" moments
>>
>>51186823
I like to imagine I don't shoot. I like the idea that I don't know how to shoot. I want something compact I can have on me at the time. I don't shoot. Fact is, I always hit anything I aim at. I probably could totally rock an ar10. My dad was a felon and I don't really shoot because I don't have anywhere to shoot but I always do slowly align the sights and pull the trigger. But hey. So 600 yards? Am I outraging an ar15 with a pistol? If I get a galil 308.
>>
>>51185236
Hey man I'm going to need some hard ass red pill on that aug when I say I'm really liking the way 308 comes in a compact platform
>>
>>51187232
Like wtf is that weird looking gun doing firing little ass cartridges yo what is that gun doing what is that gun what does that gun do
>>
File: R1vAL1y.jpg (1004 KB, 2822x2117)
1004 KB
1004 KB JPG
Was going to make a thread but stumbled upon this. Why not a BRN-180? Does anyone have one of these, and does it have a chrome lined barrel? Didn't see anything about the barrel lining on Brownells website.
>>
>backstory, i've never shot long range precision before

I'm wanting to pick up something to get into longer range shooting. I like the idea of 338 memepua but I feel like it's not a great decision for me because

>I dont have the time/space/desire to reload
>Even the best 308 is much, much cheaper than the worst 338
>338 barrels are only only good for 1500ish shots whereas 308 barrels are good for what, 10,000?
>The "nearby" range to me has a 1000 yard range with steel, and I don't know where to go in my state for longer ranges than that

So, would I be correct in thinking I should start with 308 for the time being, instead of basically any other caliber?
>>
ooo la la.
I don(t) know if 300 BLK or 9mm is in my future for home defense. I don't want to get a supressor, but need the powa of 300 supers. I feel like it would be loud af and overpenetrate. Should I just settle for 9mm or some other pistol caliber and call it a day? sub 300 basically has the same ft. lbs as 45 anyway.
>>
>>51187471
You just answered your own question. Get a 9mm or .45 pcc or just use a basic AR-15 for home defense with frangible ammo.
>>
Hey guys

So what would like for the platform how would you consider accuracy between ar15, galil 30norhm8 and ar10? Thx strongly considering galil
>>
>>51187929
That was left in my chat box so I figured hey free spam yo so considering an ar10 I figured a galil would supplement an ar15 draco and cetme/c308 in a single package for defense and hunting.

I strongly respect the guy's personal opinion that the galil is not accurate. What do more people got?
>>
>>51184611
It'll be fairly utilitarian, basically a Larry Snickers Delta 723 lookalike/ Sandbox leftovers AR with an Aimpoint and either FAG defense rails or FSB rails with the stock handguard
>>
>>51187956
I really like the idea that if I'm ever going to defend myself I'm gonna use a small package. Heck. That's what a handgun is for, right? If someone ever decides you're a threat to their livelihood nothings really going to defend yourself against an ar15 at 200 yards pointed in your direction really. If you're given advance, like in the case of a political adhurrbence such as a luaia party like so how does a galil feel like that?
>>
>>51187956
...would you really say say a PSA ar10 is good for 800-1000 yards? And would you say a galil is goo df for 600?
>>
>>51188018
Actually I already sold my cetme to buy an ar10 and as a theoreticist I'd rather shoot a deer with a shotgun slug than a 5.56 because there are many less vital points otherwise and I was wondering as not an avid hunter neither really as actually either consider not a booger but rather do you think I should really hunt with an ar10 and really b00g with an ar15 or just hunt and boog galil
>>
>>51183604
Want
>>
>>51183604
I think you should buy some fuckin training not that plastic POS.
>>
>>51183885
was looking for one of these for quite a while, and I have been calling PTR and they told me they are producing mainly the mp5 clones and ptr91, not the 32
>>
>>51183833
Beryl is an objectively better rifle.
>>
>>51185483
Yeah not if you like spare parts and a company that stands by it’s product, retard
>>
Going to post this a general question here due to I want the opinion of a lot of different people to cross compare. What do you guys consider the minimum barrel length for 5.56/.223? I understand the when it comes to the caliber that speed=stopping/killing power as the round fragment and "does more damage" to flesh at a higher speed. I know that a 10.5 inch barrel can lose over 450 fps over a 20 inch barrel while a 16 inch only loses 130-200 fps. Which do you prefer as a all situation type of barrel vs a CQB type of barrel but not losing power at closer ranges? Consider this a question for a possible future buy.
>>
>>51184028
Those round handguards are comfortable as fuck but I prefer quad rails and I'd also recommend an upper that has a rail on top instead of the carry handle
>>
No 22TCM9R MPX chads in this thread...

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.