[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 357_Uberti_replica.jpg (105 KB, 1500x820)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Is it possible to make a SAO revolving rifle chambering a rather potent cartridge (say around 30-40 krag ballistics) given the drawbacks that limit revolvers?
>>
>>50814679
Possible yes. Worth it? I hope so. I want a 36" barrelled 45-70 revolving rifle with a gas deflector, like the one on the circuit judge, so I can use the front handguard.
>>
>>50814704
Sounds like a not too tricky job with a BFR as the base. Might be tricky to make the stock, but it's not too much of a woodworking challenge. Get some nice welds on the gas deflector.
>>
>>50814679
I assume by SAO you strictly mean colt’s action. So to build your own first get a 30-30 bfr cylinder, shave it down a few millimeters at the front, get all 30-30 cartridges and wrap some brass around the bullet like a nagant bullet, and adapt a pieper gas seal action to a ruger vaquero action. Afterwards make your diagrams blueprints, etc, and start milling out your own coffin you fucking retard it’s impossible for what you imagine
>>
>>50814679
Yes with pistol calibers, I remember a .357 magnum revolver custom build someone had done once, was a beautiful thing.
>>
>>50814679
Sure, they existed back in the day. The Colt 1855 Root pattern was used to make rifles and shotguns as one example.

It just seems a bit pointless though. The revolver mechaism introduces several disadvantages. It doesn't play nice with bottlenecked cartridges because the cartridges tend to stretch and lock up the cylinder, there's power loss from the cylinder gap, and the cylinder gap also presents a hazard to the shooter requiring either an oddball hold or some kind of guard to prevent powder gases and lead spitting from hitting your support hand.
>>
>>50814758
>I assume by SAO you strictly mean colt’s action.
I assume he means any single action revolver.

He could just buy a .30-30 BFR, rebarrel and restock it.
>>
>>50814730
Doing a gas reflecttor, as long as it has a channel to click onto the front of the revolver with, could work. It'd be much better than trying to make the cylinder cam forward like a nagant or peeper, since 45-70 pressures could just make the case set back and/or break the revolver's internals.
>>
>>50814761
I have a hard on thanks to your photo.
>>
>>50814761
Colt root?
>>
>>50814846
I'll try find the custom build I mentioned
>>
Can't make a revolver action that will stand up anything but pistol round pressures and leverguns are better anyway, so no.
>>
>>50815014
>Can't make a revolver action that will stand up anything but pistol round pressures
.30-40 Krag is 47,000 psi.
Meanwhile modern pistol cartridges like .454 Casull and .500 S&W are over 55,000 psi. Pressure is not the problem.

Agreed about the levergats though.
>>
>>50815050
327 if max 45,000 psi, too.
>>
>>50814679
Yes, with cartridges.It will work and be safe. Old school cap and ball, yes it will work. But you got to be careful with chain firing. Wax the front of your chambers.
>>
>>50816248
>Chain fire meme
Explain how a spark enters the mouth of a nearby chamber when the bullet is sealing it.
>>
https://youtu.be/W5yZJugzGXM
>>
7.62x38mmR Naganat Action carbine. Loaded to a +p+.
>>
File: maxresdefault (8).jpg (336 KB, 1280x720)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
>>50815014
Pistol round pressures are a wide range. .308 runs around 62,000 psi. .500 magnum is 60,000 psi and .460 Magnum is 65,000 psi. Get a Magnum Research BFR with a 16 inch barrel in .45-70 and you're halfway there.
>>
>>50816567
Bullet doesn't have a tight fix and spark going around it. It can, sadly, happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CdQg25lECg
>>
>>50816567
>>50819081
Wrong link sorry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne4VgCdAy7Y
>>
Do you think Magnum Research would make me a custom BFR with a longer ass barrel, a gas shield, and a custom grip? I don't want the typical pistol grip, but a rifle stock and foregrip.
>>
Not exactly what you want OP but I have a circuit judge in 45lc and it's the fucking tits.
>>
Here's your revolving rifle bro
>>
>>50819920
I have messed around with their order system for custom BFRs. I've got a couple I want to order but I always end up finding something else I want more every time I get the cash saved up.
Anyway, they will make the longer barrel no problem, I believe they offer up to 26 inches. Demo Ranch and Kentucky Ballistics have both shown off absurdly long-barreled BFRs on youtube. I doubt they'll do the gas shield since that's an entirely one-off operation which is entirely different from anything they'd done before. And if they would, you'd be paying out the rear for it. I know they offer different grip options from their custom shop but I think it's just a list you can pick from, I don't think they have some guy who will carve a stock just for you. The whole "custom order" process is really just picking options from a form, it's "custom" in the sense that you get the options you pick, but it's not truly custom in that you can't order anything that's not on the form.

That said, I don't think it would be too hard to find someone who could make the forend or the stock, it's not particularly difficult woodworking. The frame of the pistol doesn't even have to be changed. Look at the Rossi Circuit Judge for example. It's a Taurus Judge with a longer barrel, gap shield added, and a stock that fits over the normal pistol butt.
>>
>>50823249
But the stock looks like ass.
>>
File: six12 suppressed.jpg (188 KB, 1260x840)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>50814679
Harass Crye into making pic related in a rifle caliber.
>>
>>50823351
So shape it differently if you don't like it. It's wood, it's easily cut the way you want it to.

>>50823396
Those fuckers aren't even making it in 12ga
>>
>>50814987
Is it this one?
>>
Taurus does a rifle version of their Judge revolver.
>>
>>50823569
The pistol grip doesn't leave many options. I'd rather have a straight wood stock.
>>
File: bmny2fh01kk71.jpg (523 KB, 1600x1186)
523 KB
523 KB JPG

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.