[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sword types.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Whats the best type of sword/non-gun weapon for home defense?
how would the law deal with me actually ending up using a sword for defense?
what would be considered excessive force? i dont think it would be exactly easy to just chop someones hand off it would likely be easier to impale or slash at their torso/throat.

if i did get a sword i would definitely train with it in some sort of school whether hema or kendo or something.

looking for PURELY effectiveness NOT interested in aesthetics of the sword
>>
>>50022178
Were you court ordered to the psych ward? If not you can probably still a buy a gun
>>
>>50022178
Get a rapier with a dagger, best combo. The rapier is arguably the most versatile melee weapon. Great range, protects your hand, decently effective. You might have concerns over its size, but youre gonna be stabbing mostly anyway.
>>
File: SwordTree.jpg (107 KB, 530x710)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>50022190
involuntarily committed 4 times B^)
>>
File: sword types.png (509 KB, 723x1027)
509 KB
509 KB PNG
>>50022287
i've been considering whether its worth it to me to have a home defense weapon at all but to land at a "no" decision there would be the equivalent of saying its not appropriate for me to own a kitchen knife or a hand with which i could make a fist. Many things can be used to commit harmful acts. if i have a mental state which persuades me to violence i can simply walk into the kitchen grab a knife and stab someone. (i have never harmed anyone while in a schizo state).
however if there is a serious threat to my life then i want some way to actively protect myself and my property. Simply telling an intruder "you cant do this im a schizo" isnt going to cut it. if i want to maintain primarily my life and secondarily my property then i believe atleast some sort of self defence tool/object/weapon to be necessary.
>>
>>50022203
>Get a rapier with a dagger, best combo. The rapier is arguably the most versatile melee weapon
Way too long for home defence, you're a retard.
>but you stab!
That's not how it works, brainlet.
>>
A cheap machete from a hardware store is a good choice. It's not sexy, but it's easy to get, effective, and has legitimate civilian uses (clearing bushes in the yard/hiking) which helps on the legal defense side of things.
>>
>>50022384
>way too long
>stabbing is impossible
Did you forget the dagger?
>>
>>50022462
>A cheap machete from a hardware store is a good choice.
No it isn't most store-bought machetes have super thin blades it would hurt like hell if you got hit by one but it would be difficult to kill or incapacitate someone with it.
>>
>>50022219
By a judge though? I've been involuntarily committed a few times as well still got guns and joined the army afterwards as well.
>>
>>50022219
Are you not legally not allowed to own a gun? Could you get recommitted if you tried to buy a gun? If not you might as well try to buy one the worst thing that can happen is you might be a little embarrassed from being rejected.

Also pro tip you can buy antique and black powder guns online without a FFL...pic related :D
>>
>>50022219
how does this possible?
i don't understand how person become involuntarily committed.
please just give short description, i am genuinely interested, no flame.
>>
>>50022539
There are a lot of dead Africans that would probably disagree with you. But if a machete seems nerfed to you, then another good hardware store choice is a 20oz framing hammer. Same pros as the machete, plus it takes less room to swing and hits harder. I recommend Estwing brand because they balance really nice.
>>
>>50022623
Voluntarily committed is checking yourself to a mental hospital because you need help

Involuntarily committed is when a physician or judges admits you.

A physician ordering you to a psych ward isn't an automatic DQ, the kicker is that a judge must order you to the hospital as the result of a criminal or civil trial and you must have been declared mentall unfit. It's basically for if you use an insanity plea as excuse in court.
>>
>>50022659
i mean i understand it in concept, the same way i can understand someone beating their wife into a bloody pulp.
but i don't like, comprehend the actual mindset of the person doing it.
i can't really imagine myself being in a position where i would be "involuntarily committed" to a mental hospital. i'm asking what OP did for that to happen.
>>
>>50022623
someone calls the cops on you for acting like a deranged schizo. if you're completely out of your mind they will take you (or atleast they did me) to a mental facility. i am however in canada

>>50022659
wait so are you saying that in the US if you've been diagnosed as schizo or having experienced psychosis you can still join the military?
>>
>>50022668
Not OP, but I have friends in the mental health system. Typically an involuntary schizophrenia commitment involves the patient being delusional to the point where they can't take care of themselves or cause some sort of public disturbance. For example. one of my friends was sent to the hospital because he was naked making snow angels and at risk of hypothermia.
>>
>>50022668
Sometimes people are just in a bad place in life then act out, or there in an unfamiliar situation and don't know how to react.

>>50022673
>wait so are you saying that in the US if you've been diagnosed as schizo or having experienced psychosis you can still join the military?

Yea. If you break your arm and make a full recovery do you need to keep wearing the cast for the rest of your life? No, if the treatment and healing was successful than you move on and it's like nothing ever happened. We need to stop thinking of all mental illness as a permanent condition that sticks with you entire life. Sometimes people have symptoms and an illness for a period of time then it goes away with maturity
>>
>>50022673
>wait so are you saying that in the US if you've been diagnosed as schizo or having experienced psychosis you can still join the military?
They let trannies join, I don’t think mental illness is a disqualified any longer
>>
>>50022178
I mean I guess you could buy a black powder gun as long as you don't think its talking to you
>>
>>50022716
that's very unfortunate. one time i took a ton of acid and convinced myself that i was going to be killed by a lightning strike. i kept trying to curl myself up as small as possible so i wouldn't get struck, and it was freaking other people out.. i was definitely not in "direct control" and i can only imagine it's kind of similar to that.
>>
>>50022737
>I don’t think mental illness is a disqualified any longer

It never really was because they can't check
>>
>>50022178
Why are you set on a sword?
Black powder revolvers like ruger old army, or whatever steel (not brass) frame black powder revolvers are cheaper, also modern in-line hunting muskets, and there's bound to be black powder double-barrel shotguns available.
You can also go paintball marker and load it with paintballs, pepper balls, or marbles. Ball bearings are probably too heavy for the mechanism.
Bear spray with a way higher OC content than human-oriented pepper spray, anything that's a gel is far preferable than a spray indoors.
Taser products like x-26, x-18, or if you can't get those, c2.
Crossbow, repeating crossbows.
I guess you can get a machete or a large survival knife or bowie if you want too though. Or a boar spear. I wouldn't even bother with any blades I don't have an actual non-defensive use for.
Personally I'd probably start out with the paintball marker and load the bottom of the reservoir with a dozen paint or pepper balls, then the rest with marbles. If that doesn't work, go to black powder shotgun, if that doesn't work, go to black powder revolver, if that doesn't work God help you because you have a really determined attacker, but you also have a smoke screen so you can attempt to escape.
>>
>>50022178
If you still go with a blade after
>>50022600
>>50022743
>>50022794
Their suggestions, we'll know you're still crazy.
>>
>>50022178
boar spear
>>
>>50022794
im not. i considered historical firearms aswell but the one shot, lower accuracy, lower firepower etc make it difficult to see as a viable self defence weapon. could i even keep it loaded for long periods of time ready to grab use?
>>
>>50022623
Honestly it’s kind of fucked. Worked in the ER for years and seen it a lot. People come in cause they aren’t feeling well and they mention they don’t have a great outlook on life. Then asked to 201(voluntarily go) to the local mental place which they can leave at any time. But if they change their mind the ER doc will 302 (involuntarily sent) them and force them to the nut house. We tell them it’s a 24-48 hold while you get evaluated and then you can leave but that’s a lie. If the docs there feel unsure about you they can extend your stay for weeks.
>>
>>50022881
>i considered historical firearms aswell but the one shot, lower accuracy, lower firepower etc make it difficult to see as a viable self defence weapon

You're retarded. There are plenty of black powder revolvers, and they only have lower power and accuracy compared to modern firearms (which you claim to be allowed to own). Before that they were still killing people just fine. Them being obsolete doesn't make them ineffective. Human bodies haven't evolved kevlar coating in the last 150 years.
>>
>>50022903
that's really fucked. i understand that some people just aren't doing so good, like struggling with drugs or a divorce or something, but that's imprisonment.
>>
>>50022903
Might be a dumb question but what happens if the person in that situation gets angry and start lashing out, breaking things and assaulting people? Would they kick him out or would that guarantee a month or two inside a mental ward?
>>
File: Gustav-M4D-Messer.jpg (9 KB, 292x585)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>50022178
Something short that can cut and also stab would be good, make sure it's really sharp, as in shaving sharp if possible, you'd be surprised at how good regular clothing is at stopping a cut.
>>
>>50022903
This happened to a buddy of mine. He went in because his mother wanted him to stop smoking weed and they agreed on him staying two weeks to sober up. They didnt let him out for three months and only because his mother thought its time for him to go back to school now that the summer holidays were over.
>>
>>50022944
For the time youre locked up against your will you are still being billed so its in their interest to prolong your stay as long as they can.
>>
>>50023021
>be confined unwillingly
>have to also pay for it
Shit, and then they wonder why people don't come get help for their mental issues.
>>
>>50022668
I almost an hero'd a decade ago and got sent "voluntarily." After the cops talked me down, they took me to a regular hospital, then a few hours later I get put in an ambulance and taken to the mental hospital. The next day, a guy comes in with some forms and says that if I sign these, I'll be there "voluntarily," otherwise they'll get a judge to keep me there involuntarily. I signed them. Stayed a week, like most of the people in my unit. Afterward got a blowjob from a girl I met there. Good times.

>>50022944
The place I was at had three wings. Two were for long-term cases and one was for short terms: suicidal people, drug addicts, bipolar/etc. At least for the short-term unit, I got the impression that anyone that didn't "play ball" (attend daily sessions, join in in activities) would be there for weeks.
>>
File: op.jpg (65 KB, 557x600)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>50022178
>im a schizo and cant buy guns
>>
File: do it.jpg (336 KB, 1000x1500)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
>>50022881
smoothbore muskets can reach out to 100 yards easily and hits are very replicatable
Hell blackpowder sharps and the likes are known to have been taken out to a mile even back in the days during battle. Accuracy is more a question of consistency with black powder firearms and as long as you dont store them in a moist environment i dont see a reason a load would go bad in the breach
>>50022905
150 years ago meth wasnt a thing yet

OP desu if you do have to defend from a home invasion the offender will likely have a gun and youre going to be outgunned. If you dont have at least a black powder revolver youre fucked. Id say get a bow but i wouldnt want to knock an arrow on an adrenaline rush like a spastic so there is really no other option unless you want to charge into gunfire or can remain as calm as a psychopath.
If its any constellation most gunfights end in 2 shots so a single action would do the trick but you can of course have dozens as an avid collector plus of course you can always have a knife or so at hand should the lynchmob brave your volleys and climb over their dead comrades to fuck your corpse because you said something mean online.
>>
>>50023083
Well since lobotomization was illegalized it became apparent that it might actually cost money to lock up people against their will so they started opening up the assylums. They are only now making a comeback because chemical lobotomization is feasible and socially accepted.
>>
>>50022178
Just buy a reproduction 1858 Remington black powder revolver and then get a cartridge conversation cylinder for it. No background check, sent right to your door. Easy peasy
>>
>>50022178
Okay schizo friend, I’ve developed a hone defense plan just for you
>take your meds
You need to focus your schizo energy into the plan, not into buying police scanners and decoding numbers stations
>get /fit/
travis bickle yourself
>club
Get creative! Use your psycho imagination and craft a wieldy blunt-force weapon, short enough to use one-handed but long enough to get two hands on if the opportunity presents itself
>take pictures
Share your /fit/ transformation, your clubs, and the gang stalkers you’ve murdered right here on /k/
>>
>>50022178
Get a couple black powder 6 shooter pistols.
>>
File: trench club.jpg (2.33 MB, 5184x3456)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>50023440
>Share your /fit/ transformation, your clubs, and the gang stalkers you’ve murdered right here on /k/
He has a point OP. A fit guy with a trenchclub is one hell of a deturrent.
>>
>>50022881
>one shot
5-6 shots for revolvers,
2 for shotguns
> Lower accuracy
You're not shooting someone a football field away
Plus you totally ignored the rest of what I suggested.
>>
>>50023525
dang i somehow didnt read your full post, there was some good stuff in there. thanks for the suggestions. And yeah i just found out about black shot revolvers within the past hour those sound extremely promising, shotguns too. The paintball gun in addition to the black powder guns seems like a really good move i can empty a clip of paintballs into em first to deter them and if that doesnt work i can atleast say i tried non-lethal means
>>
>>50022944
>what happens if the person in that situation gets angry and start lashing out, breaking things and assaulting people?
You would be moved to the high-risk area of the ward where there is nothing you can physically break and sedated until you were no longer a threat to fellow patients or staff.
>>
>>50022623
>be good boy
>take meds
>yay im all better now!
>stop taking meds
>become ninja turtle
>go outside to fight crime
>get arrested for jerking off in a bush after a night of fighting crime
>judge says youre a bad boy
>no 'get out of jail' card
>>
File: 20210610_204406.jpg (2.51 MB, 4032x3024)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
>>50022178
You can buy guns
Black powder guns
BP REVOLVERS and rifles
>>
File: happy.jpg (58 KB, 307x405)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>50022749
>tried to become airomedical evacuation tech at 21in reserves
>88 on ASVAB, best shape of my life, always wanted to fly in a big plane and help people who are injured
>Get through meps, all clear
>Get call from recruiter
>"Gosh hey Tsgt, everything cool?"
>"NO EVERYTHING IS NOT COOL. YOU HAVE A PERMANENT DISQUALIFICATION ON YOUR RECORD."
>Turns out that using your father's tricare to see a psychiatrist about suicidal ideation after he walked out on your family when you were 13 disqualifies you from flying forever
Now i just sit, I volunteer when I can get away from my dead end job, and I wait to die.
>>
>blackpowder
Black powder colt navy/army
Black powder Remington 1858
Double barrel shotgun
Single shot rifles
>3d printed
Hipoint
hipower
Mp sheild
Glock gen 3's
Fn tactical
Vz61
Ar15
A bunch other semiauto pistols
>80%
Glock
Ar15
Ar10
Sten
Sig p320
1911?
Maybe a few others aswell
>>
File: IMG_20210722_093914.png (73 KB, 1440x1440)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>50024067
Mac 10/11 also for 3dp and 80%
>>
>>50022178
Steel pipe with end caps and some grip stuff.
>>
>>50023966
I would ask "how the fuck would they find out" but tricare. Fucking rats dude

OP you might not be barred from buying a gun, you should just buy one off the street anyway.
>>
>>50024170
if i used it for self defence though then im definitely going to jail
>>
>>50022219
Thanks for the image, based Schizo poster.
Have you considered a mace or an ax?
>>
>>50024177
Then ditch it or say it was his.
>yes sir this is in fact the third time that during an armed robbery i disarmed the suspect and was forced to shoot him after he brandished yet another firearm
>>
>>50024177
Anon, if you're crazy and been involuntarily committed 4x you shouldn't buy a gun
For self defense, I imagine you are limited to BP, pepper spray and a tazer, and melee weapons
>effective
Some lunatics on this board claim a mace is fantastic.
Check your state laws.
>>
not OP, but I can't own a WEAPON for 2 years as a condition of my deal.
>>
>>50024290
baseball bat for you then
>>
be a man and get a zweihander
>>
>>50022219
Print them. Buy an ender 3, some filament, and a parts kit. Should be sub $1000 for a glock and maybe a little less for a rifle. Check out the gatalog or ctrlpew.
>>
>>50023966
Sadly if you ask for help you get punished. If you grin and take it, leading to psychopathy, spousal abuse, pediatric abuse you are A-ok and can own firearms. This world is fucked. Time to go on strike.
>>
>>50022903
yes but a 302 does not permanently revoke your firearms rights, except I think in CA
>>
>>50024347
That being said, never ask for help unless it is physically obvious what is wrong. Broken bone. Yes. Depression. No. Scurvy. Yes. Autism. No. Rash/fungus yes. Scars from self harm. No. Anything mental/psychological: No. It will fuck you over untill the cows gone home. Never believe ads or counselors if you seek freedom. Depression passes or you die. Facts. Never ask for help because when the depression passes you will be fucked out of every freedom that makes life worth living. T. 36 y/o that asked for help. Never seek help. Listen to your elders.
>>
>>50024311
first thing I bought. next is move to different state and do a private deal because fuck Adult Probation and New England
>>
>>50024347
If I had known it would stop me from being a useful man that I could be proud of, I would have just shut the fuck up and played xbox when I was a boy. I still hope that one day I can do something lowly like hand out towels to people that aren't undesirables in the rec center or something. I'd disinfect army toilet brushes if they would just give me a chance. But I'm not the person the department of defense needs, or wants. I do still get out there and volunteer whenever I can but it is not the same. Hell, I'd do 2 years in any branch, any career field, for zero pay or benefits if the option magically appeared.

That isn't to say that my life is bad; but at one point in time you must come to terms with the fact that you will never be the person you dreamed you would be when you grew up. There are stronger men than me doing a job that I am not legally allowed to do. Those people are my heroes, and every time I see a C130 in the sky I like to imagine that the people up there know that we're thankful for them down here.
>>
When you aren't intentionally swinging them, blunt weapons won't hurt yourself or others much, so those are probably the best weapons for crazies.
>>
>>50024489
there are other ways you can help the world. why are you so focused on helping the military. you could even work for a company that supplies military shit.
>>
>>50024489
Bigger nonsense I've never did hear. I'd trust you with my life because of your previous statements, brother. You are fit to serve. I know the systeem fucked you out of the army. But if this pandemic leads to shtf. You are always welcome in my spiderhole.
>>
File: USAF-Security-Forces-5.jpg (414 KB, 1086x610)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
>>50024547
I've deployed internationally as a volunteer EMT twice and six times domestically. I've slept in humvees and shit in MRE coffee bags. It's the life I want. It's the life I always wanted. Politics are fatiguing and I've outgrown hope. I just want to be there when some 19 year old mulatto kid who got roped into projecting US foreign policy has a mental breakdown or gets hurt so I can be between him or her and the US military's mental and physical healthcare systems. I care very deeply for our volunteer military. I don't care so much for our senators or our president, but I recognize that the DoD is the only chance a lot of our people have at ever living a middle class life.
>>50024571
Thank you for putting it on the table and saying something uplifting. I'm thankful that people like you are out there living their lives and I hope that nobody gives you any bullshit today
>>
>>50024489
>>50024965
Have you ever tried to reapply for a different branch with a waiver?
>>
>>50025046
>have you ever attempted begging to be sent off to die for another country with another branch?
>>
>>50026055
I'm considering trying my luck with a neighboring state's Army National Guard until I can fall into any medical job, God willing.
>>
>>50027488
>>50025046
sorry anon, didn't mean to staple my reply onto your post there. and yeah, from a personal perspective I have a huge problem with the way our volunteers are sent to protect interests of allies I wish we didn't have. But I'm not smart enough or wealthy enough to do anything about that, I do have a working body that can do messy work on civilians and troopers who are having an especially bad time

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.