[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 04494.jpg (30 KB, 800x800)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
What is the purported advantage of mounting the scope forward like that? Does any military use it?Are these things a meme?
>>
>>50019472
Bump. I kinda want one.
>>
>>50019472
>What am I in for?
Relax, you're just going to shoot a totally different kind of gun now
>>
>>50019472
Yeah they're a meme. No, there's not really a point anymore. But I still want a Steyr Scout anyway. It's cool.
>>
File: 1621481254674.jpg (1.48 MB, 3600x3600)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
>>50019499
What was the old point?
>>
>>50019472
It looks fucking cool now I want one
>>
>>50019472
You'll have fun and be disappointed at the same time.
>>
>>50019472
A thread died for this faggot shit OP
Fucking kys and just buy an enfield so you can larp as a real white
>>
>>50019508
It still has a point, it doesn't give you tunnel vision as badly. Still kind of a dumb idea
>>
File deleted.
>>50019519
Why are they so shit
>>
>>50019543
They're not shit. You're just not going to use it for it's intended purpose, you're gonna use it either as a range toy or as a larp or for a hunting rifle in NA or Europe. The scout rifle is made for safari, crawling through a jungle shooting tigers at 15m
>>
File: 1585885474337.jpg (152 KB, 1024x553)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>50019536
What's dumb about it?
>>
File: 1603360760724.jpg (285 KB, 1000x1000)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
i love that we're reverting to the 80's, chest rigs being dumped for lbe style war belts, scout rifles are cool again, people going nuts for wildcat cartridges, people making machine guns at home
>>
>>50019472
The purpose of mounting the scope forward was so that you could load using stripper clips, which is pretty much a moot point today given that interchangeable mags are so common, even for bolt-actions.

>Does any military use it?
No.
>>
>>50019508
Same as the current point. If you’re only gonna buy one gun for hunting deer at moderate distance like small acre crop fields out to 200 yards, need to punch through thick under brush at short range for hogs, and want a self defense rifle in case you run into a bear or an AK wielding Hmong Mud Duck in your tree stand it’s a pretty good choice. It is also Assault Weapons Ban proof from an era when fudds and were running the show.
>>
>>50019508
the original idea was thought up by jeff cooper, its a light bolt action larger caliber (usually .308) rifle for back country use, typically had detachable box mags or stripper clips and iron sights either for primary use or as a back up to the pistol scope chosen for its long eye relief and it gives a wider field of view as to not get tunnel vision. Most of this was thought up because he was an avid big game hunter and when viewed through this lense it is a practical rifle for it

https://youtu.be/qucXL7GzoVg
Ian McCum's video about the scout concept
>>
>>50019563
I think I spoke too broadly. They're dumb for me because you're making a lot of sacrifices for features that aren't practical for the vast majority of users. Everything is a compromise, a light weight, compact bolt action rifle that's meant for overwatch or scouting that trades off high amounts of vision for awkward optic use... I've got no reason to have any of that, I don't hunt and I'm not planning on doing any scouting.
>>
The Scout Rifle concept is dumb. It's a bunch of incongruous ideas that don't make sense for 99% of people.
If we take for granted that you really need to bring down a 1000 pound animal, do you really think you:
>Will be shooting rapidly with a bolt-action
>Be using a low-power scope to facilitate rapid follow-up shots
>Mounted forward to facilitate peripheral vision (for some reason)
>On a lightweight full-caliber rifle, using a short barrel (it's hard to think of a less suitable tool for the job of rapid precise fire)
>>
>>50019472

best roles I can think of are camping gun, guide gun , and shtf survival rifle
>>
if you aren't a literal adventurer, a scout rifle will not be useful to you.
>>
A bit outdated today with the weight of modern semi-autos, LPVO's, and price/weight of modern magazines.

If you're looking to build one in 5.56 then get a Kel-Tec (yeah I know) SU16CA - it's the closest to the scout concept in a semi auto. Lightweight, irons, mags in buttstock, bipod. Feels cheap since Kel-Tec but I haven't heard any complaints about the rifle other than that.

300 blackout or 7.62x39 then grab a Ruger American Ranch and slap a LPVO on it. Or build a AR if you can get lightweight enough parts.

.308 has a lot of options but they're quite weighty. Personally i'm getting myself a Savage Hog Hunter but there are other options like the Ruger Gunsite Scout or Savage Scout. The lightest .308 I think i've seen so far has been the Savage 110 Lightweight Storm but I haven't checked everywhere.
>>
I had a conventional LPVO on my RGS, but I'm switching to a red dot, specifically the HS503 with ACSS. I can see the little holdover marks unmagnified, so it might actually be useful. Plus it looks cool.
>>
>>50020895
>it's the closest to the scout concept in a semi auto
No, because a scout uses a full size cartridge like .308. This is exactly the reason why the old scoutgun execution (short .308 boltgun with LER scope) is outdated: you can build a lightweight, short AR-10 with an LPVO that meets every practical requirement of the scout rifle. You just have to look beyond Cooper's outdated fuddery.
>>
So if I understand correctly, newer technology like removable box mags and acog/red dot type optics have made scout rifles pointless.
>>
>>50022291
>reliable, lightweight, interchangable box magazines
>LPVO/red dot + magnifiers
>semi-auto actions that can fire full-sized rifle cartridge at a reasonable weight
>>
>>50022291
You've got it.
>>
>>50020895
>300 blk ruger American with an LPVO
This is what I did and it's a ball of fun
>>
>>50019472
A really handy, practical, rifle.
Not everything can be reduced to specs on a piece of paper, and if it could who cares. This is the stupid ass autismo min/max thinking. Do what you want and fuck anyone else. I sold all my tacticool shit and am much happier with my "obsolete fuddery". I couldn't give a fuck less, and I've yet to be killed in the street despite doing this for several years (carrying a 1911 or Revolver). ANTIFA/BLM/UN/Army/SWAT has yet to break down my door either. Warzone/PUBG/Tarkov/COD isn't real life, and you aren't a Operator.
>>50022389
Try a Marlin 45/70 with a Hybrid 46 or similar. or even a 30/30 with a .30 cal can or a 357/44 with an appropriately sized pistol can.
>>
>>50022363
Awesome. OP finally got an answer after hours of pulling fucking teeth getting people to explain what the fuck a scout rifle is and why they aren't used anymore.
>>
>>50022291
The idea of the scout rifle is still great. Cooper's original execution has aged rather poortly though.
>>
>>50022403
I've got a 336 I could get threaded. I've got an AAC 762 SD. It's a pretty big can so it would be interchangeable. Only issue is I prefer the irons and they're too low for my taste.
>>
>>50019472
It's full size rifle power in a relatively lightweight design. Fully loaded with an optic I think you're still looking at <8 lbs. Could be good for camping if you think you need a full sized rifle and don't want to lug something heavy around.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.