[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>4chan memes that .22lr is a meme round
>research crimes and serial killers
>turns out .22lr is used in quite a few murders over the years

So what's the truth? is .22LR a meme round, or is it actually a legit self defense round? I've also been told that .223 is literally the same thing as .22LR
>>
You can kill somebody with a lamp if you hit the right spot.
>>
.22LR will bounce around inside the head turning the brain to mush. .223 will explode yer head
>>
>>48908044
>works for homicide
>so is it a meme for or legit for self defense
by that metric random lamps and extension cords must be legit for self defense too
>I've also been told that .223 is literally the same thing as .22LR
((((you))))
>>
>>48908062
This. Murder often allows an advantageous shot that can be placed with care while a defense round must stop an energetic attacker.
>>
>>48908044
>murder is the same as home defence
a .22 into someones brain at point blank is obviously very lethal

but .22 when fired with only a split second to aim against an armed attacker is a different story
even if you aim for a vital, but then their arm, or a lucky piece of equipment in their clothes, gets in the way they wont die in time
you need a round with high penetration to ensure you can reach vitals even from bad angles
>>
>>48908044
.22 short behind the ear, no mess, no ballistics, but execution =/= self defense
>>
>>48908438
>(teleports behind u)
>>
>>48908044
shitty potmetal guns are chambered in .22 and .25, they tend to have more kills b/c of sheer volume of niggas getting blasted
>>
>>48908044
.22lr is bad for self defense because it's a rimfire cartridge and rimfires have a much higher defect rate than centerfire cartridges do. stopping power is a bullshit myth, if they're gonna keep charging after putting a hole in their organs, they're going to do it regardless of how big the hole is.
>>
>>48908044

.22lr is a great round for target shooting and small game. Everyone should have a .22; but for a defensive round its not a good choice and its nowhere close to being comparable to .223.
>>
>>48909140
22LRs unreliability is a myth too, only crap bulk pack is like that, buy good shit and you won't run into duds. But your correct that shot placement is really the only thing that matters besides reliability and deep enough penetration.
.22LR ain't nothing to fuck with, with good ammo.
>>
>>48909140

>stopping power is a bullshit myth
>if they're gonna keep charging after putting a hole in their organs, they're going to do it regardless of how big the hole is.

So I guess .25 ACP is as effective as .50 BMG. I mean they're both centerfire rounds.
>>
>>48909183
let me go grab my .50 BMG pistol you fucking Redditor
>>
>>48909183
If you shoot them in the eye with a .25 and the foot with a .50, yes the .25 is better.
>>
>>48908044
a big hole in your head and a small hole in your head are the same thing.
>>
File: Paul Harrell.jpg (119 KB, 499x482)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>48909199

Oh shit game on then faggot. .50 BMG was a joke but if you want to be serious then I say that you're a fucking retard who's talking out your ass for suggesting that "stopping power" is a myth and that .22lr is as viable a defensive round as 9mm.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 631x428)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>48908044
No OP, magdumping a .22 into the back of someone's head is not self defense.
>>
>>48909246
So your a 9MeMer, what makes your round the end all? You are aware that the exact things you say to support and defend 9 against larger calibers adherents applies equally to .22 .25 and .32 right?
You are also now aware that .22 out of a rifle is roughly equivalent to 9mm from a handgun or rifle (due to 9mm being optimized around a 4 inch barrel).
There is literally nothing wrong with a 10/22 or 15-22 with good mags and ammo for defensive use.
>>
File: 1617739541951.jpg (228 KB, 1200x1158)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>48909296
Looks fine to me
>>
>>48909210
>If you shoot them in the eye with a .25 and the foot with a .50, yes the .25 is better.
Hard to argue with that....lol!
>>
>>48909325
The point is that he's using murders to justify a round for self defense. Different scenarios entirely, in one you're being suddenly assaulted and have to put the guy down fast, not having the luxury of time to perfectly aim each shot to make sure you hit something vital. In the other, you creep up behind the mark and whack him when he's not looking and can't fight back, usually at point blank and with the intent to ditch the gun in a storm drain afterwards.
You will probably be attacked by a .22, but I wouldn't use it for self defense. Just buy a centerfire handgun, don't cope because .22s are cheaper. You get what you pay for, rectify your money situation and buy a gun not chambered for varmints. Pistol calibers are already not 100% guaranteed to put someone down, why would you increase that chance by using a beyond anemic caliber?
>>
>>48909199
They make em ya fuckin retard.
>>
>>48908044
>serial killers
who have time to plan a murder and wait for someone to be off guard
defense implies your shooting while already being attacked

>.223 is literally the same thing as .22LR
youre a fucking retard
>>
>>48910724
no, they fucking dont
>muh snowflake gun that put the creator in the hospital
no that one doesnt fucking count, it wasnt readily available even before covid
>>
>>48909246
Based and lung salad pilled
>>
>>48908044
Go to Paul Harrell's youtube channel, search for .22 and watch every video that strikes your fancy.

Short version: It will cause damage, and since it's .22LR it means you've most likely got a 10-20 round mag for your hyper-plinker.
>>
>>48908044
If the PMR30 was good enough to remove nog from premise with a single round, the round is good enough for self defense
>>
22lr is great for killing, bad for stopping a threat.
>>
>>48909183
A walther 25 acp has the highest kill count thanks to a soviet executioner.
>>
>So what's the truth?
You're a fucking moron.
>>
>>48908044
The guy who shot Reagan used a .22.
Reagan didn't die.
Therefore .22 is a meme round.
>>
>>48910798
Only quality post in this thread
>>
>>48909183
.50 BMG doesn't kill people because of stoppan powah!!1!!11! but because the bullet's mechanism of transferring energy to tissue actually extends the damage caused.
Most pistol caliber hollow points crush the tissue immediately in front of the relevant surface area, while the rest of the energy is spent on pushing the tissue away. It's like those videos of people getting punched in slow motion, you see their skin being pulled off the bone and waving as the energy disperses. But all the tissue is under elastic deformation and springs back. Rifle rounds are like if you were able to punch so hard, you'd leave a face and scalp in the ground as it fell off the skull.
The problem with pistols is that designing a bullet that maximizes these effects requires it to lose penetration. And we've seen in the real world that penetration of vitals is more important than "energy dump" theories and focusing on remote wounding effects.
>>
>>48908044
>>48908084
>I've also been told that .223 is literally the same thing as .22LR
I mostly here this coming from AR-15 owners talking to gungrabbers. I'm pretty sure they're just taking advantage of the fact that gungrabbers don't know anything about guns to convince them that AR-15 is basically just a varmint gun. Part of me wants to step in and correct them but part of me also wants to see if gungrabbers believe it.
>>
>>48908044
...and x1000 times that number of people were killed with kitchen knives, claw hammers and bare fucking hands in the same period of time. By your underaged logic, that makes those "weapons" even more effective than a .22. So you should throw even the .22 away and carry a fucking hammer instead, because hammers killed 50000 people worldwide last year. See where this is going?
The reason serial killers often used .22 was the same one it is still popular in the ghetto, along with .38 revolvers despite being obsolete as a combat weapon back when it was made. It's cheap and ubiquitous, especially back in 1970's when most of the famous spree killings happened. A .22 revolver was probably the cheapest type of handgun you could buy. And because it was so cheap it was also very common - it's only now that it's relegated to fudds and ghettos. This ubiquity made them be stolen and/or appear on black market more often, making 22's even more attractive for criminals.
Most violent criminals are fucking retarded, they know less about guns than the dumbest fudd and they are broke as well. So that's why they buy 22's.
Of course it can still kill. So can an air rifle. Or a knife. Or a chair. Or a rock. Or a fucking Aluminum tea spoon. But that doesn't make them a good weapon when so many better ones are available.
And no, .22 has literally nothing in common with .223. 223 hits like a freight train, piecing 3A body armor and blowing chunks of meat out of people at 100 yards. It's a rifle round. Google Kyle Rittenhouse shooting, that's one of the recent good ones.
>>
>>48908044
>crimes and serial killers
well there you go.
>sneak up behind somebody
>shoot them point blank in the back of the head with a .22
>they die
vs
>getting attacked by a man/men on amphetamine and no grounding in reality
not so much

but something's better than nothing
>>
>>48910849
With exploding bullets no less.
>>
>Jamal has 400 dollars, he could buy
>one half decent 9 and maybe a box of ammo
Or
>a shit .22, 400 rounds, and a 40 at the liquor store up the street
It's just law of averages
>>
https://youtu.be/MZJxXCis_Ko
>>
>>48915042
Jamal is not fucking around he keeps a jam in his .22 AR just to make you think he doesn’t know what the fuck he’s doing.
>>
>>48909313
Not him but holy shit you’re a gay faggot (wrong too)
>>
>>48908044
>.22lr used in quite a few murders
>legit self defense round?

Shooting someone in the back of the head with a .22lr while they're tied to a chair is not the same as facing a 300 pound rapist with a knife and having to eliminate that threat as swiftly as possible to preserve your own life.
>>
>>48908044
>4chan memes that .22lr is a meme round
When has 4chan ever been right about anything?
Remember the same people who call .22 guns "not real guns" are the same people who shoot 5.56 and wish they were women.
>>
https://youtu.be/K9L1Is8MUMQ
>>
>>48909212
People already have like 5 intermediate sized holes in the head
>>
>>48908044
No point using .22lr as a self defense round, when there is much better rounds easily available. Just use .22lr like everyone else plink at targets/cans or to shoot varmints. Its great because of how dirt cheap it is to buy or to teach children how to safely operate firearms.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.