[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: freedom.jpg (121 KB, 1200x675)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
Freedom Edition

previously on /meg/ >>48405894

Lieing about criminal history = bad
Lieing about medical history = good

>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.
https://discord.gg/RmrWxhf

Resources:
>Special Forces Fitness Guide
http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/sfart.htm#:~:text=PT%3A%20Every%20other%20day.,of%2040%20to%2050%20reps).

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of SOF units. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

>Should I go Navy Enlisted Nuke???
No.
http://i.imgur.com/FZ0Q9q4.png
tl;dr: Long hard school, to do shitty work, and the job prospects are a lie.

>https://bogidope.com/civilian-to-guard-or-reserve/the-ultimate-military-pilot-career-path-part-1/
Airforce Pilot guide

>Info on sf86
https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf

>Free ASVAB Study Books
https://archive.org/details/asvab0000unse_z2t4
https://archive.org/details/asvab00lear
https://archive.org/details/asvabpowerpracti0000unse
https://archive.org/details/normanhallsasvab0000hall

>Ft Jackson Basic Training 2020 Summary:
https://pastebin.com/yg972vRE
>>
just had a poo
>>
i think we should add the detailed ft jackson summary to the OP:
https://pastebin.com/53tsDj90
>>
File: vlasov.jpg (306 KB, 1202x1600)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
Is there a basic tl;dr on how to go officer from enlisted?

>E4 with no paperwork, nearly have a bachelors degree, 2 deployments and new to Hill AFB

It just seems like a hugely daunting task to start with the paperwork. I may go to the Career Advisor for some guidance, but I'd rather have some place to start first. My ex is going in as a personnelist soon, but I'd like to slide into OTS as soon as possible.
>>
>>48410274
You basically need to go to a career counselor cause it requires shit loads of paperwork
>>
Drop a 4187 to go to RASP
NOW
>>
File: Capture.png (1.08 MB, 842x885)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>48410236
is the secreteary of defense going to address the fact that postmodernism is the antithesis of the enlightenment values and epistemology that are the underlying foundation of the US constitution?
and that postmodernists have climbed all the way to congress?
and that postmodernists form some of the congressional promotion committees?
nope, hes just going to bitch about nazis and shit.
what a fucking joke.

i am disgusted by the fact that the us military is too stupid and too uneducated to understand the transition from enlightenment to counter-enlightenment the left has undergone over the last 30 years. and i am disgusted by the fact that they are too corrupt to stand up to the fuck faces in congress that hate everything america stands for.
>>
>>48410450
Democrats don't care about the country,people need to stop pretending they do
>>
>>48410450
He's too busy making sure Raytheon stonks go to the moon while kicking out anyone that may not be absolutely loyal to the regime
>>
>>48410482
>Democrats don't care about the country,people need to stop pretending they do
bro, it is so much deeper than that.
they are beginning to reject the entire enlightenment project that started in the 1700s.
the enlightenment is probably the greatest glory in the entire history of man, right up there with fire, the wheel, and fucking farming. the enlightenment gave us science, and technology, and democracy, and freedom, and prosperity, and individualism, and every single fucking thing that is good about modern life and good about the USA.

and postmodernism rejects the entire enlightenment project. it is the exact opposite of it. and the army is too fucking stupid and uneducated and corrupt to even know what is happening.

it is why i rejected their recruitment efforts and then rejected them again after college.
fucking disgusting.
>>
>>48410274
EZ way:
>Enlist
>Finish contract
>Go to college and do ROTC
>begom officer

Harder (see your career counselor and be prepared to do a ton of paperwork. Your entire chain of command up to the GO level will end up signing off on this):
>ALREADY have a college degree
>Apply for OCS
>See above about paperwork
>Get accepted
>Go
>You are now an O-1.

In the Army at least there's also the Green to Gold program.
>Have some college credit such that you can get at bachelor degree in no more than 2 years of study
>Apply to program
>apply to college
>Get accepted to college
>Go to college (major note: you are still on active duty. yes this includes getting paid)
>Finish degree
>Go to OCS
>You are now an O-1.

These are in approximately increasing order of difficulty.
>>
>>48410450
This problem is upstream of the military man. It's like complaining about how the Russian Army in 1925 isn't doing enough to fight the spread of Communism in its ranks.
>>
>>48410274
Dude just go to your career advisor now. That's how you "start first". It's a long and somewhat selective process, although a lot of that selection is just getting off your ass and getting the ball rolling and seeing the whole process through. Go now. Fuck, make an appointment TOMORROW nigga.
>>
>>48410531
>EZ way:

This is doable! I've got a pretty set path to a really good university. My only fear is that I've been told that it's really difficult to leave from an enlistment and re-join as an officer. I thought it was more work to do it your EZ way than it would be to do loads of paperwork.
>>
>>48410570
If you get honorably discharged then it really doesn't matter that much and may even be favorable since you already know the ins and outs
>>
>>48410570
It's easier because there's just less friction, not because there's "less work" per se. When you're trying to go E->O while active, you've still got to deal with having a job, you've got to get this that and the other signed off and approved, and while your career advisor may be more or less helpful the burden is still pretty much 100% on you to take initiative at every step of the process.

With the ROTC program, you've already done the work of getting into college, and then you basically just show up to the ROTC battalion and they pretty much just take you through everything -- I mean ROTC detachments are basically just units whose mission is to get college students commissioned. As opposed to the unit you're in now which has some other mission and oh yeah maybe you can work out some personal side hustle of going to OCS in your off time.
>>
>>48410570
I'll also add that if you can graduate in less than four years you may be able to commission in less than 4 years. Two years is possible. If you think this might be on the table then mention it to the ROTC cadre.
>>
>>48410598
To branch off this cause I actually did do something similar, your packet goes all the way up to a 2 star, possibly even a 3 star
What this means in practical terms is that it takes a SUPER long time for it to make its way through the bureaucracy
>>
>>48410526
Lol ok sargon
>>
>>48410674
I mean hes not entirely wrong though, but
>it is why i rejected their recruitment efforts and then rejected them again after college.
fucking disgusting.
>still browses /meg/
>>
>>48410674
you are dumber than dogshit if you think those ideas are from a youtuber. they have been repeatedly and independently articulated by multiple professors of philosophy.

here are 2 different books about it.
>>
>>48410610
>>48410598

What if I already have a Bachelor's degree? I'm nearly there, would I have to do ROTC as I work to a Master's degree? I know for sure that I have less than 2 years left in UofM
>>
>>48410849
What is "nearly there"
>>
>>48410857
Can complete college in a year, easily. I have 4 more CLEP tests and something like 5 classes.
>>
>>48410909
How much longer is on your contract
>>
>>48410916
I'm about to extend 12 months: Current DOS is January 2022, but I'll push it out until January 2023
>>
What's the best intelligence job in the Air Force if I want to work for a three-letter agency after I'm out?
>>
>>48410942
Yeah you'll need to seriously talk to a career counselor about this situation because you really don't want a break in service if you can manage it
>>
>wanting to be an officer
might as well just become a DoD civilian if you don't want the actual military experience and just want to be a paper pusher
>>
>>48410954
Thanks for the advice man, I'll meet with her tomorrow. My friend is telling me to meet with the local recruiter too, apparently he'll know more than the Career Advisor. I'll have a coffee and knock both out as soon as possible
>>
>>48411154
A recruiter isn't going to know anything about what you need for an inter service transfer
>>
why do ppl value 3 letter agencies? the salary? comfiness? the title? access to civilian jobs?
>>
>>48410450
America's dead bro. Most just haven't realized it yet. Everyone's primary concern should be their family. Fuck everything else and fuck these commies.
>>
>>48411365
your cum
my mouth
you do the math
>>
File: CgR81zhWcAAtxZS.jpg (29 KB, 583x616)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>48411048
>>
Do all officers need to get secret clearance? I have a feeling I wouldn't pass.
>>
>>48411436
how's the carpal tunnel, butterbar?
>>
>>48410450
this is all for show, stop looking so much into it
>>
>>48410526
>it is why i rejected their recruitment efforts and then rejected them again after college.
...and now you're here to help everyone else reject the military as well?
>>
>>48410531
green to gold O1-3E pay is tits, too
>>
>>48410946
linguist or geoint or satellite shit
>>
>>48411960
>the 20th most powerful country is the puppetmaster of the most powerful country
>>
>>48410450
lloyd austin is a good boy brainlet, he managed iraq after the casing of the colors. he is secdef because he doesn't think and doesn't argue with higher. exactly the copper relay the neocon/neolib uniparty wh wants.
>>
>>48411473
If you have no criminal record and a good enough credit score to get a retail ownedn credit card, you'll get one. It's not hard.
>>
>>48411337
Yes
>>
Does having a Secret clearance make getting a TS any easier or am I getting a deep anal cavity search regardless?
>>
>>48412482
secret is standard its basically a background check. TS is much more in depth
>>
File: 1562284147363m.jpg (55 KB, 1024x683)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Tryna summin Woft bro. Or anything woft related.
>>
>>48412482
Nope. Two totally different investigations. Even if you already had a T3 (secret) done, and got a T5 (TS/SCI) done a week later they still do the whole damn thing because its an initial T5 and no a reinvestigation.
>>
>>48411337
Prestige in name. Thats it. There are hundreds of other gov agencies that pay the same, have similar or the same work, and are equally comfy if not comfier.

>GS11 Antiterrorism Officer for the Architect of the Capitol.
>>
>>48412079
I got a ts with a criminal record, but it took way longer and my commander had to put in for it after I was in the Army.
>>
>>48413423
did you have a poly exam
>>
>>48413423
Ya he had to get you an interim clearance so you could actually do shit while your clearance took forever. Also, 2017-2019 had super dealyed investigations in general. I had folks with super clean records and basic bitch lives take a year just for a secret.
>>
How often does MISO / PSYOP deploy? I imagine it depends on the language that you are assigned, but I would like to know specifics. What does a typical MISO / PSYOP deployment look like?
>>
File: what.png (81 KB, 1330x865)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
Did i miss something?
>>
>>48410257
If I have time I'll probably add some of the questions I've answered the last few threads
i.e Family Day, Covid restrictions and differences, maybe something on super lunch/warrior feast and red white and blue phase
>>
>>48413935
What did you think of tactical training? And were you lucky enough to shoot the live AT-4?
>>
>>48413917
Security Forces. They are to the Air Force what Marines are to the Navy. :^)
>>
asked this last thread but wanted to get more advice.
going for a TS clearance job with some unreported drug use. current gf (who i live with) knows about it. she won't rat but i'm afraid if we break up and i get my clearance renewed she will. she could probably also find other people to corroborate.
do i have to marry her and pray we don't break up in the next 5ish years? or can i tell my investigator that she's just vengeful and that the others are just lying for her?
>>
>>48414045
Yeah, say she is vengeful if it ever comes up. Once you have your TS and training, they aren't going to just throw all of that time and money away because some bitch is trying to rat you out.
>>
>>48414068
right on, thanks anon
>>
>>48413999
Are Security Forces as well trained as Infantry Marines?
>>
>>48412079
Even if I have to tell a few lies? Not about criminal history btw.
>>
>>48414142
secret clearances usually don't require interviews. if there is no record it didn't happen. TS clearances they will interview your references so pick wisely.
>>
>be civvie who hasnt even gone to MEPS yet
>wake up to "hi, did you want nitrogen or someothershit tire maintenance for your aircraft "alpha-charlie-wewuzkangos" done today?
>>
>>48413999
>>48414135
Holy shit if you guys think and believe security forces is anything close to marines. Security forces are cops that are trained up to about the level of what you would learn at Army BCT (NOT osut). Tye reason why they are always comparing themselves to infantry is because the air force literally has no infantry type jobs, and their security forces do a tiny bit more than normal MPs (they have very small special units that do air marshal type shit, and some other bullshit the other branches dont specifically have an MOS to do like antiterrorism force protection which are just assessments you come up with using a chart).

>t. former 31B now air NG sec fo phaggot. Did it to keep my LEOSA.
>>
>>48414161
Will they look at my medical records?
>>
>>48413570
>MISO
why did they do this bros
>miso hawny
>>
>>48414436
350F/security manager here.

They only look at medical records if you answer yes to having mental health history and sign the medical release. If you DO NOT sign the medical release they CANNOT pull your medical records. Even if they do pull your records, it is strictly for the purpose of mental health. Injuries and medical conditions are MEPS only bullshit, and they cant pull records for shit unless you tell them you have records and they force you to.
>>
>>48413917
Sort of related, but I was watching Family Feud last night and there was some Army dude there with his family and he was in his dress uniform. He was an E-5 and yet only had his marksman qualifications, rainbow ribbon, and mcdonald's ribbon. I cannot fathom how a dude can put in AT A MINIMUM 3 years and yet have nothing to show for it.
>>
>>48414248
>recognizing sarcasm
>>
>>48414909
There are many career fields where you can make secondary zone E5 for simply showing up.
>>
>>48414045
Why are you asking the same thing when you got a lot of responses last time? Again, don't be a retard and write your ex down as a reference. Pretty simple. If they interview her for whatever reason and she brings it up just say she's being vengeful. What other advice do you want
>>
>>48410257
half of this write-up is about some soiboi faggot trying to hookup with some spic whores.
>>
>>48415258
That's true, but that's what BCT is at Ft. Jackson, apparently. Take it for what it is.
>>
What kind of job can you get as a civilian after being an officer? Tempted to become one but not sure what I’d do when I’m out
>>
>>48415286
wdym by officer
that can mean infantry or pilot
>>
>>48415010
Secondary Zone is at the discretion of higher command, but this dude's lack of a rack demonstrates he didn't even deploy, so how in the fuck does a dude who's most prestigious award is the one he got at basic make it to E-5 at all?
>>
>>48413448
No, I don't think Army does poly exams. I have only heard of 3 letter agencies using them. Like cia and nsa. Heard they still used them as recently as 2017
>>
>>48413542
Ahh shit, that's when it got started was 2017.
>>
>>48415159
never hurts to get a second (or sixth) opinion. thanks tho, feel better about this.
>>
>>48415488
Either you're a neverserved or you've been detached for years: the new Army is here.
This is shaping up to be another generation whose biggest combat tour will be the size of Panama.

Or maybe not. Biden's old boss sent me to AFG twice.
>>
>>48415557
All the branches, including army still poly. It all depends on unit requirements. I can think of maybe 7 units in the entire army that actually require one, and half of them are NSA detachments.
>>
>>48414909
I signed a contract for the 03 field in the marines... did I make a bad decision

People said 03 contracts were hard to get but I got one no questions asked
>>
I kinda know what I want in the army So would a recruiter take offense if I just walk in and blurt out -Hello I want a contract like this and this with this option and this other this. Is this doable?-
Im asking because Im a bit of a social retard and dont want to sperg out and make myself look bad
>>
>>48415940
People are idiots. What logic is there that the lowest scoring and highest population job is the hardest to get into?
>>
>>48416064
Well, if you just blurt it out like that, sure.

However, if, once you get past the initial introductions, you mention that you've got a very specific job in mind, there's nothing wrong with that.
Let the guy know you've done your research, you know the requirements, you've taken the practice ASVABs, all of that.

The recruiting term is "job locked" (or "rate locked" for the Navy).

You might have to be flexible in terms of a MEPS/ship date, though.

If you're firm, but polite, the recruiter will appreciate not having to go through the song and dance of offering you every shitty MOS opening he's having trouble filling.
>>
>>48415646
I'm not Army, I'm Navy, where even push-button E-4's have something to show for it, often being their warfare pin(s)
>>
>>48416148
The logic is as follows

>Marines are badass
>training is hard, I saw it in a movie
>I would fail it, so other people would fail it too
>only people better than me could pass, but I think I'm above average so that means most people can't pass
>therefore, it must be hard to get into, because my ego cannot handle the possibility that I am below-average
>>
>>48416064
Pretty much, but be more professional about it. Say, Hi my name is anon, i would like to enlist in the army ASAP if you have the following jobs/options available. Then hand them a list. Btw you will need to do asvab and meps and some other BS before you can make the final decision for your job. So AFTER you get that shit done, and they still say none of that shit is available, then tell them I am ready to ship out tomorrow if you had any of the things on that list.

Fyi you also need to be realistic with your list. For example, asking for a 3 year contract 11x option 40 with student loan repayment and gi bill kicker bonis, isnt going to happen. Realistically there will be one bonus, if even, per type of job/contract length. Also, the better the bonus means the longer the contract. Pro tip, NEVER sign more than 4 years for ANY job, regardless of bonus. If they give you the option of 3 year 11x or a 5 year 11x opt 4, take the 3 year. Most shit can realistically be requested for one youre at your actual unit (airborne, ranger, etc). Worst case you finish 2 year of the 3 and its reenlistment time and you request that shit if you decide you actually want to stay in.
>>
>>48416235
a lot of projecting
>>
>>48415860
I see, why does the govt still use polys when they are proven to not be accurate? Or is it a myth they are not accurate?
>>
>>48416245
>Most shit can realistically be requested for one youre at your actual unit (airborne, ranger, etc).
This is especially the case with the Rangers. No sense waiting for an option 40 when the Rangers as for volunteers for RASP at every Infantry OSUT class. Per the Rangers, about half of all RASP slots go to volunteers from Infantry OSUT.

If you're at the head of the class, they'll let you go. If you're not, then you'd have washed out of RASP anyway.
>>
>>48416263
I am trying to understand the logic by putting myself in the shoes of a civilian with zero knowledge of the military and this is the best I can come up with. It ain't great, but I just can't fathom any other logic that would lead someone to believe infantry is competitive in a branch known for infantry warfare
>>
>>48415940
Yeah you did
>>
>>48416161
>>48416245
Very good shit, thanks for the advice. So on the financial side of enlisting... lets say the medically separate me because I had a training accident and broke a leg or some shit. I would be jobless and on the street. If Im a single guy with no family, how much $ would you advice me have saved before attempting to enlist
>>
>>48416320
It’s because there was a period of time where the marines wouldn’t guarantee infantry as an mos and made people sign open contracts
>>
>>48416337
(Amount you can live on per week)
times
(Number of weeks you think it would take you to find a job)
>>
>>48416320
>recruiters don’t have issues filling 0311 slots
>but are being told by higher to get more 06xx slots
>potential recruits show up to recruiting office
>recruiters tell them that 0311 is backlogged but 06xx series is a quick ship MOS and “every marine is a rifleman” so you’re still basically infantry
>recruits sign
Easy.
>>
>>48416367
Huh, I see. It sounds basic but I hadnt thought of it that way, makes sense. Thanks bro
>>
>>48416320
It isn't. I don't know where the original anon got the idea that infantry contracts are hard to come by. There are always, literally always, infantry contracts available. It's the biggest MOS group in the entire Marine Corps.
>>
>>48416343
>It’s because there was a period of time where the marines wouldn’t guarantee infantry as an mos and made people sign open contracts
imagine if they did that today,
how many bitter box kickers there would be.
>>
will I get raped in the usmc
>>
>>48413570
hardly ever unless you're in the .5% tactical companies
>you wont be
>>48414767
this. i had all kinds of shit from my childhood in tricare. when it came time to review my medical history i just put down my dodid number instead of my ssn and didn't release the info.
>>48415557
CI poly for some jobs, full scope for SMU
>>48416161
i did this just didn't blurt it out like a sperg. they may try to sway you into something else but you don't owe them anything and you can just walk out
>>
>>48416465
are you a woman (female)? If so, then yes, probably.
>>
>>48416298
they're not permissable in court but they're still accurate enough to get a lot of idiots to self admit.

>>48416302
also "exotic" ones like MI. if you go try to be 35P option 40 you might be waiting a while. or wait until AIT and just volunteer for airborne then at Benning volunteer for RASP.

>>48416465
maybe
>>
do officers who go to get masters degrees only major in memes or can i go for something like aerospace engineering if im in aviation
>>
Going into the navy soon as a CTT, what can I expect from it?
>>
>>48416495
>i did this just didn't blurt it out like a sperg. they may try to sway you into something else but you don't owe them anything and you can just walk out
Can you then just try with another recruiter? because I read in plebbit a while ago that they store your info in a database or something so its all the same, not depending on the recruiter
>>
>>48416765
let's say you're going in for 11X because that's an easy one. if they give you shit or try and push 19k or something say ok cool i guess I'm going to try out Marines 03xx thank you for your time. if you go in there with even a cursory knowledge of the MOS list they tend to not try and bullshit you. I tried it at the Air Force recruiter and they were trying to push a completely different bullshit job so I said cool where's the Army recruiter office?
I ended up going to Army with my top 3 i was interested in and they worked with me. Air Force called me for like a week trying to get me to come back, that my job magically appeared, maybe I'd be interested in such and such etc.

>just go in somewhat informed and dont let them bully you
>>
>>48416809
Got it, thanks a lot. I hope the bluff works if it comes to that lmao, but the AF is my backup.
>>
>>48416612
I have seen a lot of O4 and up major in international studies or international policies if they don't go to a war college. The hardest masters iv seen an O3 working on was a masters and William and Mary in accounting and he said along with his commander duties it was stressful bc the courses actually required work and not meme reading and writing.
>>
>>48415275
the army once again proving itself the poverty branch
>>
>>48416875
>I hope the bluff works if it comes to that lmao, but the AF is my backup.
You don't have to bluff. You hold all the keys, you guard all the locks.
The recruiter NEEDS you to enlist with him.

You say what MOS you want, what contract options, bonuses, etc, that you want, then tell him to call you when he finds one. Simple as that.

Remember, the only time you ever have complete control over your military career is before you sign your contract.
>>
>>48416702
6 years of skating and then 14 years with the FBI making 6 figures as a linguist
>>
File: 1599733515201.jpg (91 KB, 642x637)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>48416465
>will I get raped in the usmc
Hopefully. And by the time they're done, you'll love it and ask for moar.
>>
>>48416337
Well, you do get paid while at basic, and if you break shit DO NOT LEAVE until you are good, fixed, and ready. They WILL try and get you to sign out on your own accord, try and peer pressure you, or flat out lie about your rights. YOU DO NOT LEAVE until you are fixed. Once you sign the dotted line and are injured while in training theu are OBLIGATED to take care of you until you release yourself from duty. My friend shattered his femur in OSUT and his peers and leadership keot trying to peer pressure him out. I had to keep telling my friend that no matter how much they guilt trip him, he MUST stay in until he is better. It took my friend about 8 months total to fully recover, but at the end of it all he ended up deciding to stay in after he was all healed up, and has had a successful 5 years career so far as a 11B.
>>
>>48417009
Show me your PD. I think youre full of shit.
>>
>>48416970
It makes sense yea, you are absolutely correct. AF is backup since they take until 39 and Ill be enlisting a bit older so my options might not be as good as my younger counterparts
>>48417041
Good thing that man had a based friend to reassure him, broken femur sounds like a bitch. I was kinda wondering about the healthcare bills if they separated me haha, but yea it makes sense. Its awesome he actually got to stay in then, I was under the impression they kicked you the fuck out for any of that and you were powerless. Thanks a lot for the advice
>>
>>48416809
>just go in somewhat informed

This is very important, I think. If you're dead set on a specific rate and you're an ignorant idiot your recruiter will blow you off as being un-serious.

My own experience bears this out. I told my recruiter I wanted an EOD contract and he tried to interest me in every single rate the Navy had. I kept saying 'no' and he got fed up until I told him that I had been doing my research up to and including speaking with current and former EOD techs about how best to prepare for the pipeline.

It took close to 6 months for a contract to become available, but I could wait patiently.

Sure, he probably thought I was being selfish, but fuck him. It's my life, not his.
>>
I’m 28 and have a bachelor’s degree from a decent school but I don’t want to commission because I don’t want a professional-type office job. I know I’m not technically too old to enlist but practically, speaking am I too old to enlist?
>>
>>48417270
Nope, go for it.
>>
>>48417270
You can enlist, but you'll regret not being an officer.
>>
>>48417098
Nope, like i said, once youre in, youre in and their responsibility. They will most definitely try and feed you shit to make you feel guilty and sign yourself out so that you are no longer their responsibility. Just to give some examples of what my friend went through. His peers tried to guilt him by saying it sucks he has to watch them all graduate so he should avoid that by going home and getting better. His leadership tried to push him out by saying mil healthcare sucks and that he would be able to recover on the outside faster and can reenlist in a year. But because he kept saying no, fix me, i want to stay in, they couldnt do shit. They basically just had him do paperwork at the unit in between appts and phys therapy. He even got 2 months of convalescent leave to go home and rest. Which he took my advice and got daily phys therapy and chiropractor sessions all covered by mil healthcare.
>>
>>48417067
oh no, an anon is doubting me! let me just ignore you lol
>>
>>48417319
Well, I’m pretty sure I’ll regret being an officer too. I have zero interest in doing a spreadsheets, email, and networking job so.
>>
>>48417368
you can try to fight it but as soon as you hit e-4 that is what you'll be doing, just because youre in the military doesnt mean you can avoid it forever, its like being a supervisor at walmart, they do work but they also push fucking paper a LOT
>>
>>48417391
Two questions then: Is the environment similar at all to a normal corporate office job for either commissioned or non-commissioned? Is it not true that non-commissioned spend more time doing physical stuff than commissioned?
>>
>>48417448
These are way too specific and can vary greatly depending on your unit, just enlist ASAP. Time in service is really important so it's better to consider your options after enlisting.
>>
>>48417365
Show me a GS(or equivalent) linguist job with paygrade that pays six figures. Im a GS11 ATO for the architect of the capitol and only make 76k a year, and will max out at 89k after 15 years.
>>
What's your favorite color?
>>
>>48417448
As an officer you can do all the physical bullshit enlisted do at any point in time. Youre the boss. Go paint rocks and cut grass with scissors with the enlisted if you really want to have the same exp they get hahaha.
>>
>>48417534
My officers are always complaining about how they have too much paperwork to be able to do Army shit and they miss it
>>
File: confused miku.gif (1.54 MB, 230x230)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB GIF
Its an "airman tries to look hardcore in a joint environment" episode
>>
>>48417448
E-4 is a skate paygrade. You're going to be fine and just dealing with any of the shit the E-5 couldn't get around to, when you hit E-5, yes, it's like a corporate environment except the added leverage that you have a bunch of 18 year old's you have to take care of and if they do dumb shit (like get a DUI) it's your ass that gets handed to you. It's difficult. Officer is kind of similar but after O-3 you're never really going to interact with anyone that is lower than E-7. They both have the corporate toxic office politics that you want to avoid.

Also it depends. Your O-1's and O-2's will organize PT every morning and most definitely are hands on, you're going to experience that the most as a junior officer though because you're working with the gunny to learn the trade and to become a good leader. I don't know other than that.

How old are you? If you're mid-20s, just wait until theres a war if you want to fight in a war. If you're early 20s, most definitely wait. No use joining the peace time corps or the Army and pulling weeds hoping to go to Afghanistan to reenact Jarhead when they're nutting over the same picture for 8 months cause nothing is happening.
>>
>>48417552
Wouldnt you say the same thing to get out of peasant work on a weekend FTX the CO is making you attend, while you watch onlyfans in the TOC and jack off in the shitter?
>>
>>48417498
>just enlist ASAP
I’m about to sign away 4+ years in my late 20s. I’d like to know what I’m signing off for first and if enlisting isn’t what I’m looking for, I’m not going to do it.

>>48417534
It would be great if you guys could give some context you know? I lurk these threads lately and I think I can count the number of posters responding to questions which are actually helpful on one hand. It might come as a surprise to you guys but most of us civilians have absolutely no fucking clue what anyone in the military does in a day to day basis. In fact, the only sources of information we have tell us that we’re going to be at the range and doing training exercises 24/7 if we just go infantry so it would be great if you guys could actually be helpful. For example, do as much as the enlisted? On top of your normal duties? What kind of duties? How much? I realize you’re actually just trolling but I’m using you to illustrate just how much a waste of time these threads are for a lot of us. I don’t know why you guys come here if you don’t want to help people.
>>
>>48417576
Pffffft, E-5 is a skate paygrade too and by the looks of most E-6s the same rule applies.
>>
File: file.png (13 KB, 128x107)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>be tanker
>have been driver for past year and a half sicne i've gotten to the unit
>working in arms room today when 1sg walks in and tell me im going to be a gunner now
>gunnery is in less than 2 months and the company has no time slotted for crews to go to the simulator

fuck bros what do I do, I've only ever been to AGTS 3 times
>>
>>48417576
Thanks for the help.

I’m 28 so I’m getting up there. I’m starting to lean towards the wait to see if there’s a war because honestly the job just sounds like something I’m not interested in but there’s my age to consider and I was hoping it would be different I guess. I never really thought “paper pusher” when I thought of the military.
>>
>>48417333
>His peers tried to guilt him by saying it sucks he has to watch them all graduate so he should avoid that by going home and getting better.
What did they get out of it, did the DSs told them to pressure your mate or were they just being assholes
>>
>>48417604
That depends on your MOS and branch though. USMC Sgts deal with so much shit its insane, when you get a call at 2am telling you that a Marine crashed his car outside the neighborhood walmart and is drunk as fuck and now YOU have to pick him up, then come back and get chewed out the following day, yeah.
>>
>>48417622
I thought they trained you guys on all the roles at armor school from the jump. Seems kinda dumb to have 4 guys in the tank if they can't all swap at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>48417510
wow that's trash dude you must not have a good language
>>
>>48417581
shut up
>>
>>48417579
No
>>
>>48417643
when i was in tank school after basic (summer 2019) they gave us very cursory lessons in the gunners station and TC station, they might as well have been nothing desu
granted that was the 17 week cycle, I dont know what they teach now with the 22 week cycles.

I'm nervous because I've only driven/loaded at gunneries before, which was very straightforward.
>>
>>48417581
>>48417635
Stop talking about your age, no one gives a fuck. Both of my roommates in AIT were in their early 30's.
>>
>>48417635
I used walmart as a metaphor because no one thinks paper pusher when someone applies at Walmart but anyone who isn't an associate or some shit is exactly that.

My advice? National Guard. Go get a job with your degree, make good money. You can be an 11B on your own time. They also deploy regularly if you find a good unit and they deploy especially during war-time. Don't consider the USMC reserve, you won't deploy. They don't need you, I've met USMC Reservists who never deployed between 2008-2014, that's during a troop surge so... yeah.
>>
>>48417705
You have autism he's talking about his age because he literally has until he's 35 to join if he wants to be an infantry man, you have to chew crayons or some shit because its so easy to see context
>>
>>48417581
Okay ill give you a detailed explanation.

Daily life of a POG enlistee
>physical training at 5am or 5pm for an hour, 40 minutes of warm ups and cooldowns, 20 min of workout.
>go to office/motor pool/classroom around 8am and shuffle paperwork, inventory, dick around on computer. Lunch for an hour. Back to office for more dicking around until 4 or 5pm.
>if there is no afternoon PT or random powerpoint briefing about sexual assault or safe driving, its 5 or 6pm and you are on your own free time to hang out, get dinner, dick around in room, etc.
>if you dont actualky have a job, replace work time duties with picking up trash or cleaning shit up around the base/unit.
>weekends are normally free, but at least once in a while you check out gear and get bussed out to a training area to do field training which is either rifle range time or basic soldier skill shit.
>While all this happens you are either an e4 or below who is constantly overseen by an NCO who tells you what bullshit to do and is constantly having you report to them about your shit, and will shit on you for not constantly being squared away if they are a hardass. If youre e5 or above you are constantly micromanaging teenagers amd 20 year olds to prevent them from doing the dumbest shit. You vent your frustration by assigning your kids menial tasks to occupy their time with so they dont fuck you over.

Cont part 2 for officers.
>>
>>48417639
Both, actually. Apparently the DS were making comments about how depressing it must be for friend to watch his battle buddys graduate withiut him.
>>
>>48417663
ATO is Antiterrorism Officer. Go on usajobs and find a 6 figure linguist job. Pro tip, you cant.
>>
>>48417804
>wishes they were an infantryman when they see the prestige, respect, training, and fast promotions they get.
fuck. that's not how it is in the marines at all.
>>
>>48417804
I'm an USMC 03 and I just worded it wrong. I meant he could be an 11B when he goes to drill then when he deploys he can do 11 bang bang shit.

Also what respect and prestige? Sure maybe in 2005, but not in 2021 lol. I just reenlisted and all I've done is "deploy" to Okinawa and Bahrain is probably in my future, that's literally it. My brother is a 13F and it's the same for him except Kuwait. If OP wants to go to Kuwait for 12 months, more on him I guess lmao
>>
>>48417706
I’m not really interested in the NG but thanks. I’m thinking maybe this whole military thing just isn’t the right choice for me.
>>
>>48417823
right? lmao. i guess in the army maybe where you get an achievement medal for cleaning out a toilet you TECHNICALLY have "prestige"
>>
>>48415258
>>48415275
Highly relevant for all young males
>>
Hey guys I'm about to enlist in the Airforce Reserves. What job should I pick if I want to get a high killcount? Also thank you all for your service <o
>>
>>48417843
Not that anon but Bro I feel you, we are almost the same age. Look, for me if the US enlisting doesnt work out for some reason, you can join the French Foreign Legion. They take up to 39 and you are basically more or less disposable but they do shit sometimes. Its not pretty and its definitely not for everybody but its an option you have.
>>
>>48417852
this post was typed by manlet hands
>>
>>48410526
>>48410450
Nice buzzwords go back to pol civvie
>>
>>48417784
nobody forced you to apply for a shit job, sorry dude
>>
>>48417749
Cont part 2 officers
>Wake up to text message from NCO and show up at PT. Usually arrive mid workout. Go to gym, sit in sauna, and take a shower.
>Go to work at 8am or 9am depending on when you finish breakfast. Answer emails, edit powerpoint slides, email NCOs corrections. Receive tasks from higher command, distribute deadlines to NCOs. Take a lap around the unit to talk with junior enlisted about their goals to build up their loyalty. Shit on NCOs for the comments the junior enlisted tell you in regards to the unreasonable task deadlines their NCOs give them. Take 2 hour lunch off base. Come back to work, check emails, and leave at 2pm to workout at the gym.
>Remember that one quarterly safety brief is due in 2 weeks, recall your unit for a 3 hour sexual assault brief at 7pm on a friday. Task the NCOs to cover for you because you locked yourself off of the network and cant log in. Tell them good job after calling the room to attention, then head home for dinner and drinks out on the town.
>schedule an FTX on the weekend for 4am, show up mid day in personal vehicle to check progress, leave by 3pm, get back home just in time for happy hour.

Thats honestly how it goes.
>>
So ive received mixed answers. Is the aviation contract for the USMC 6 years or 8 years after you've got your wings? I have heard some people saying it runs 8 to 11 years total including training. Also, has anyone gone as an officer for a career? How is it?
>>
>>48417974
>ATO
>Shit job
Okay friend, your linguist propaganda bait is fun.

But in all seriousness google my job if you dont actually know what it is. Its actually one of the few career fields on the civilian side that you can only get exp in on the mil side without having to do 15 years as an LEO.
>>
>>48418023
The clock starts once you get your wings. 8 years if you're flying fixed wing, 6 years for anything else.
>>
Posting the patron saint of linguists
>>
File: rwdodge-photo-01.jpg (71 KB, 732x968)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>Foreign Legion mentioned pnly once

Welp lads, the USAF is only accepting 5% of applicants to become officers as prior enlisted. Just PCS'd, I decided fuck it, I'll start training in cardio and pull-ups. I have 2 years.

Any experience? How much French do they expect you to know? Literally every person I've heard who's been through it says they don't expect any language skills from Day 1 - I've heard different here, but nothing from first-hand knowledge.
>>
>>48418023
Its 8. The 11 year thing is if you have the worst luck having to wait for training dates or a class spot, or not meeting flight hours because of 3 months straight of shit weather or maintanence delays.
>>
>>48418030
https://apply.intelligencecareers.gov/job-description/1155386

this entire argument could have been avoided if he had actually read the guy's post. CTT isn't linguist
>>
>>48417561
The virgin wannabe hardcore airmen Vs. The Chad cushy chairforce job accept-er
>>
>>48418060
>Any experience?
This is the only non-autistic write-up I found from someone who got in and knew what he was getting into aka no whineposting
https://www.reddit.com/r/FrenchForeignLegion/comments/ibchlf/i_joined_the_legion_and_recently_finished_fts/
>How much French do they expect you to know?
Officially speaking you are not required to know french, but another anon says it definitely helps specially if want to move up the ranks and be an officer.
Again, for me if the US thing doesnt work out -t. eventual green card here- I will go to france and try my luck
>>
>>48418060
r/frenchforeignlegion

its not glamorous and you'll whine a lot, barely deploy anywhere dangerous, going to mali is the equivalent of going to somalia right now, the military is no where near the epicenter of the conflict
>>
>>48418106
>Again, for me if the US thing doesnt work out -t. eventual green card here- I will go to france and try my luck

I'm a green card holding service member, holla at me if you need to know anything. If you're from a third world country, no one gives a fuck about you, if you're from somewhere nice like Australia or France, its a lot harder or easier depending on where you go cause you're more noticed.
>>
>>48418051
Wrong. This guy is.

>Be qualified in all ME languages
>Have thyroid issue that requires medication
>Deploy, and are forced to go without meds for months and get fat
>Due to language skills, deemed mission critical asset and they stop loss him even though not meeting fitness standards, weight standards, and has medical condition.
>finally gets sent home after 16 months in country, medboards and gets medical retirement
>>
>>48417784
You're a moron. All the three letters have their own separate recruiting websites. Literally google them right now.
>>
>>48418139
South america here. Basically the previous administrations policies fucked me over because I wanted to get in through the MAVNI program and it was suspended. Im going to H1b -code monkey here- I just want to know if you think its possible that the current administration will overturn the restrictions placed on green card holders like having to wait 1 year for the background check or the delayed citizenship
>>
>>48417749
>Daily life of a POG enlistee
>>>>weekends are normally free, but at least once in a while you check out gear and get bussed out to a training area to do field training which is either rifle range time or basic soldier skill shit.

No, not as a POG, that's shitty combat arms.
>if you dont actualky have a job, replace work time duties with picking up trash or cleaning shit up around the base/unit.
This is also only the case in AIT and if you're combat arms. If you pick a decent job you're not leaving the keys/wire to cut grass or pick up trash ever, you're actually useful and doing shit even in peacetime

>>48417991
This whole thing is scarily accurate though. Officers can do literally nothing with no repercussions. Once a month maybe a higher ranking officer will come in and you glue to their sides until they leave and tell every NCO in big capital letters the day before they get there everyone has to pull triple shifts to sweep the parking lots and pick up leaves to make sure the full bird or stars above are satsified
>>
>>48418140
Bro do you know how to find what current languages are in demand? I googled a bit and downloaded some documents from the DoD that listed some spreadsheets or something but I didnt really understand it too much
>>
>>48417991
to some this may sound like a joke but i swear to christ this is exactly how my last 3 commanders have been
>>
File: gonnamakeit.jpg (49 KB, 1024x488)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
As an Army ROTC Cadet what are the chances of getting Army Aviation branch if I am top 5 in my class? Also can cadets go to airborne/ AMWS/Sapper school? Thanks to anyone who has useful information
>>
>>48417721
>I know I’m not technically too old to enlist but practically, speaking am I too old to enlist?
He asked if he was too old to enlist at 28 even knowing he isn't near the limit. Slow down on the glue sniffing, retard, it's starting to show.
>>
Enlistedfags, lock down what goes into your refrigerators. And trick your wives into running.

The world is tired of seeing the stereotypical fit enlisted/fat wife combo
>>
>>48418155
Hey dumbass, yes you apply on the individual websites, but usajobs still has all the job post links. For example look up any cia job post on usajobs and the link you click to apply forwards you to the cia website to apply. Same with fbi, dia, etc.
>>
File: F1.large.jpg (141 KB, 1280x976)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>48418217
It can't be helped.
Obesity in this country is directly correlated with income/educational attainment.

Poor, white trash enlistedfags marry their poor, white trash stripperwives and everyone gets fat.
>>
>>48418210
I may be wrong but I believe that only CWO and LDOs can be pilots in the army. That said I'm not in the army and I only understand Marine Aviation. I would say that if you really want to be a rotorcraft pilot, your best chance is Navy or Marine Corps but again, I don't know.

>Also can cadets go to airborne/ AMWS/Sapper school?
I wouldn't count on getting a slot if they do. You would be competing against just about every other ROTC Nazi in the country to go. Of all those you would probably most likely to get into MWS and least likely to go to sapper school
>>
>>48418175
>>48418201
This sounds so real because I am an O1 11A, and my peers talk about this type of shit over drinks all the time. Only one or two of those bullets are personal to me.
>>
>>48418184
I don't believe they are publicly listed but what seems to be in demand is Chinese, Korean, Russian, Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew (not as much lately), I think maybe Urdu, and then any dialects within the Middle Eastern languages
>>
>>48418282
awesome I'm glad Infantry officers are just as shitty as POG officers
>>
>>48418292
Gotcha, thanks a bunch!
>>
>>48410236
Are military baptisms sprinkling or full immersion?
>>
>>48418336
The Biden Administration is basically pulling us out of Middle Eastern affairs, I expect the demand for Chinese, Korean, and Russian to become greater.
>>
Is Marine Combat Training actually good training, or is it mostly bs? A friend of mine recently graduated and he told me they didn’t do a whole lot. He’s a IT Marine though
>>
>>48418292
You forgot French. That is also a high demand language
>>
>>48418184
>>48418292
Here are the in demand language codes. You will need to google it since there are too many languages for me to look up. And no, the chart isnt public, but I have the list on my phone from when my friend was planning to reclass in december.

35M
ae, ap, cm, dg, jn, kp, pf, pg, ru, ta

35P
ae, ap, cm, dg, fr, jn, kp, pf, qb, ru
>>
>>48418374
Its not as comprehensive as SOI, but you do learn the basics. You just dont actually get to do cool shit like manuevers with vehicles or shoot rockets.
>>
>>48418374
MCT is like a month long. It's enough to do and learn the basics but not enough to be proficient in them to any degree. MCT is for all non-infantry enlisted Marines. Infantry enlisted Marines get to go to ITB which is at the same location as MCT but a different POI, even then ITB Marines are still boots who really only know the basics of their job and how to get bullied less by their NCOs and SNCOs. The only entry level school which provides a semblance of proficiency for any Marines would be TBS and IOC.
>>
>>48418402
Very helpful, actually. So thats why I couldnt find anything, I see yea. I was going to go to some arabic course nearby until the memevirus happened, but I will focus on a few of that list too, thanks!
>>
>>48417991
i dont know if im enough of a dick to become an officer
>>
>>48418162
>I just want to know if you think its possible that the current administration will overturn the restrictions placed on green card holders like having to wait 1 year for the background check or the delayed citizenship

That was changed in 2018, supreme court shot down the background check. I went into the Navy office January 2019, shipped March 2019. Yeah.

Also delayed citizenship isn't an issue, if you want to know, the DOD is currently fighting a federal judge who said that anyone who served a single day active duty (including basic training) is considered eligible to naturalize.

But... if that falls through and the DOD wins. You will be eligible to apply for citizenship basically the day you finish boot camp as active duty. I was naturalized just after A-school cause the process is long but there's no rush lol.
>>
>>48418421
>>48418422
My friends told me they just did a 1 day familiarization fire with the machine guns and that was it for crew served weapons. He didn’t actually get a lot of experience with them. He also said urban operations was like 2 days. He told me that most of MCT was in a classroom
>>
>>48418458
That is correct. Welcome to being a POG. The whole warrior chest pounding bullshit gets set aside real fast when you have another job to do
>>
>>48418402
>>48418184
Sorry I forgot you said you couldnt read the codes.

AE Arabic Egyptian
AP Arabic Syrian
CM Chinese Mandarin
DG Arabic Gulf
FR French
JN Indonesian
KP Korean
PF Persian Farsi
PG Dari
RU Russian
QB Spanish
RU Russian
TA Tagalog
>>
>>48418184
It's completely pointless to try to guess what language you're going to get. It's completely dependent on luck and when you get there.

Here's the DLI language list:
Arabic
Chinese
Mandarin
French
German
Hebrew
Hindi
Indonesian
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Kurmanji/Behdini
Pashto
Persian Afghan
Persian Farsi
Portuguese
Russian
Serbian/Croatian
Spanish
Sorani
Tagalog
Thai
Turkish
Urdu
Uzbek
https://www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/being-a-soldier/ongoing-training/specialized-schools/defense-language-institute.html

Which are you likely to get?
Russian, Chinese, Korean, Arabic
Some cycles they make 100% Arabic. The very next batch that comes is all East Asian. Next is a grab bag. It's completely fucking random and pointless to try and guess, you're going to get one and you're going to learn it. If you don't like your language just fail out on purpose OR kick up such a massive stink they let you switch. You have to be pretty good at fanangling shit like that to get it to work out though.

>>48418210
High
>Also can cadets go to airborne/ AMWS/Sapper school
Cadets no but you'll be able to go there once you're actually a soldier like everyone else
>>
>>48418140
This pic makes me sad.
>>
>>48418486
cadets absolutely can go to airborne and all those officer schools. i forget the name but its basically summer school or summer internship
>>
>>48418255
thanks for the info about schools, what you said about AMWS being the most likely corresponds with the internet because it is such a short course too. I looked into Marines but my school only has Army ROTC and I don't want to do PLC.
>>
>>48418359
So I'll never get my combat patch? Maybe I won't do 20 years after all
>>
>>48418497
I've maybe heard one person doing it
You get absolute dead last priority
They'll send some supply e5 with a failing PT score before some max PT score cadet
>>
>>48418489
The story is even more depressing. I remember when I went through DLI as a 35P back in 2009 they told us about this dude because he was actually one of the MLI (military language instructors) in the arabic schoolhouse I think...and they didnt want us to talk shit about him for being a famous meme without knowing the backstory.
>>
>>48417622
Talk to your TC and tell him you need to get into the AGTS or you're going to Q2 (or worse).

Worse case scenario do chair drills.
>>
>>48418467
He told me it was really disappointing because they made it seem like he was going to really be a rifleman. But in reality he doesn’t feel like he learned much there.
>>
>>48418503
>combat patch
You mean deployment patch. You get that shit for korea, kuwait, etc. Dont cry anon, you will be special.
>>
>>48418484
>>48418486
Thank you very much for taking the time to write that, its very helpful. If a person happens to already be proficient in one or more of the languages in the list before the DLI, would they receive any sort of bonus or other benefits?
>>
>>48418522
Of course they have to hype it up for the POGs, its the USMC. They sell themselves on the grunt image. No one would do a POG job with them if they didnt hype it up.
>>
>>48417643
Being a tank gunner is roughly equivalent to being a team leader in a rifle platoon. Like yeah, a high speed guy can read the manual, look to his left and right, and take a pretty good crack at it, but realistically you're probably not going to do a good job at it if you're a private.

Keep in mine that being a gunner involves more than just literally putting the reticle on target and pulling the trigger, you're primarily responsible for dealing, mostly unsupervised, with all of the tank's fire control systems which are uh, pretty complex.
>>
>>48418529
You can test out and go straight to Goodfellow
>>
>>48418486
>>48418497
Well either way I just want some classes to put on my records, don't care for cool guy tabs or patches. I heard once your commissioned it can be hard to get schools, depending on branch.
>>
>>48418502
>my school only has Army ROTC and I don't want to do PLC
USMC does scholarship through NROTC. you can also do PLC combined, which is all ten weeks of OCS at once instead of being split between two summers. You can also direct commission out of OCS if you do PLC combined (called OCC) after you graduate.

>>48418522
You don't. If you wanted to be an 0311 he should have been an 0311. The entire "provisional infantry" thing is great when we're at war like Iraq where it's all hands on deck and everyone from cooks, to supply to motor-t are getting CARs but it's peacetime Marine Corps. If you enlist as anything other than infantry you're going to do your POG job and nothing else.
>>
>>48418456
>Also delayed citizenship isn't an issue, if you want to know, the DOD is currently fighting a federal judge who said that anyone who served a single day active duty (including basic training) is considered eligible to naturalize.
Oh, that is very good news actually, including the removal of the 1 year wait time. So if the DOD loses then they might re-open the naturalization centers in basic. I was mainly asking because I have a better shot with the MAVNI program than green card, jobs are scarce down here, but its very useful info still. Thanks
>>
>>48418210
>As an Army ROTC Cadet what are the chances of getting Army Aviation branch if I am top 5 in my class?
Decent but make sure you take the SIFT test before you put in your branch preferences. Your cadre should be tracking all of this; you can also talk to the senior cadets.

>I may be wrong but I believe that only CWO and LDOs can be pilots in the army.
You're wrong, there are commissioned pilots in the Army. It is a very difficult job to get.

>Also can cadets go to airborne/ AMWS/Sapper school?
Yes, it's not super common but it's doable.
>>
>>48418529
From what I've heard, if you're already fluent in a language like Chinese, chances are they'll give you a different language.

Depending on how good you are, you can get paid more monthly if you pass a proficiency test and the language is in demand. For example, you could get paid more for Farsi and then even more for some specific dialect of Farsi.
>>
>>48418503
the chances are probably low that you'll do 20 years and not see combat. If you enlisted the last year of Vietnam (1974-1975), and you served your 20, you'd see the Gulf War atleast.
>>
>>48418522
>But in reality he doesn’t feel like he learned much there
That's pretty accurate. They don't intend for POGs to fight, they intend for them to support grunts.

I know females that were underwhelmed by MCT. I can't imagine how it must have been for someone who actually thought he was going to be a "warrior".
>>
>>48418529
Yes, you get to skip DLI. Thats the incentive. FYI DLI is considered a career ending school. If you fail, youre done. You wasted 1-2 years of your career for no reasons. If you ever read 350F posts about his career, he wasted the first 2 years of his career getting dicked around with korean and passing the course, but failing the test with a score of something stupid like a 3/2/0+ without getting the option to retake it, then reclassed his ass to 35N before he obtained a secondary mos a few years later as a 35F.
>>
>>48418582
usually if you're fluent or a native speaker, like other anon said, you test out and go straight to goodfellow if its one of the target languages. i know several people who did this. they would not make someone from Belarus who is a 4/4 in RU learn Urdu
>>
>>48418516
Nah, a certain amount of slots are set aside at those schools for cadets, you're not really competing against E5 schmuck (not that a fucking cadet should get prioritized over an E5 going to an actual jump unit).
>>
>>48418572
It's not a one year waiting time cause we're still technically classified as being in a time of war due to the GWOT. It's something like 180 days. I don't know the exact time but as soon as you get to A-School they'll talk to you about it, another guy from Mexico went through the same shit as me.

I don't know if MAVNI is still going but if you become a H1B, it'll take like two years for you to get your green card. Check out visajourney.com, it looks like a stupid forum full of old people (it is) but they're really helpful. There's a section just for h1b's.
>>
>>48418527
No I mean combat patch. I'm in Korea right now, you don't get one unless it's a combat deployment.
>>
>>48418566
Thanks for that info, I just never want to have a chance on being stuck on a boat.
>>48418566
Do you have any knowledge about the branches?my order is right now, as a 1st year:
Aviation
Engi
MI
Finance
Transportation.
are these decent branches? I would be happy in any of these.
>>
>>48418566
>The entire "provisional infantry" thing is great when we're at war like Iraq where it's all hands on deck and everyone from cooks, to supply to motor-t are getting CARs but it's peacetime Marine Corps

Is this true? I'm a current 0311 LCPL and the whole meme around the CAR is that you can get a purple heart before you get a CAR. That might be just to make it seem cooler than the Army's version though.
>>
>>48418549
>>48418582
>>48418602
>For example, you could get paid more for Farsi and then even more for some specific dialect of Farsi.

I see I see, because spanish is my first language, I guess its not that uncommon at all though, which is why I am going to learn arabic for now, maybe others down the road.

>FYI DLI is considered a career ending school. If you fail, youre done
Well thats reassuring lmao but some other anons said the DLI is -like a long paid vacation with some studying- and that its something very sought after
>>
>>48418651
I gotta add to this that in the Air Force you get your citizenship as soon as you can get an appointment with immigrations. I work at a medical unit and we get green card phase 2 or 3 students still in training who occassionally pick up their naturalization certs as quick as 6 months all dependent on appointment scheduling.
>>
>>48418661
>He hasnt deployed to iraq with 2ID as a korean linguist for no logical reason
Plenty of units deploy to iraq or afg from korea anon.
>>
>>48418651
>I don't know if MAVNI is still going
Unfortunately no, if it were I would get a visa and fly to USA tomorrow lmfao
>if you become a H1B, it'll take like two years for you to get your green card
My only worry is the amount of -scam- companies that promise green cards and they fire you when the 6 years are up and get replaced by another dude, it seems to happen to a lot of dudes lately. Ill be checking that website then, thanks for the info
>>
If I change my name to something incomprehensible, will I be forced to change it back? Like, what if I changed it to ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>>
>>48418774
The commander won't sign off on it
>>
>>48418048
Thanks for the answer. Fixed wing is my first choice but well see if I still feel that way when if I get there and if I'm still ok with two more years. Otherwise, tiltrotor would be cool.
>>
>>48418670
>That might be just to make it seem cooler than the Army's version though.
Can confirm. Was 0341 in Iraq and I had friends in the Army who got CIB/CABs for simply being in a convoy near where an IED went off. Meanwhile, I had been repeatedly shot at and fired my weapon in anger and got nothing until one of us was actually wounded.
>>
>>48418670
Yes sort of, go read the criteria for a purple heart and a CAR.

You'll get a CAR before you get a purple heart but if you get a purple heart you will get a CAR as well. Provided your platoon commander and company staff aren't fucking assholes about it. The only instance I could not think of being awarded a purple heart and a CAR at the same time for being wounded would be something similar to being on the USS Liberty or Pearl Harbor
>>
So exactly why is it rare to wear full-sized medals in the Army and USAF? In the Marines, we wear them whenever there is anything ceremonial, same with the Navy, or at least theres an effort with mini-medals.

Same with the belt for the ASU's, just looks lazy to see soldiers at memorial day services with ribbons on their chest and no belt, makes the ASU look oversized. The old guard has proven it looks nice too.
>>
>>48418670
You know what the criteria is for getting a CAR/CIB/CAB? That an O-6 approves it. That's it. I've known guys that got a CIB because they were on the same map sheet as some mortar fire, and I've known people that didn't get shit who by all rights should have.

This might sound kind of gay but that's why campaign ribbons/deployment patches still mean something, and why you should always trust a guy's rep and performance over what his commander at some point in the past signed off on letting him wear on his shirt.
>>
>>48418827
>So exactly why is it rare to wear full-sized medals in the Army and USAF?
Safety. The Army and Air Force award so many medals that you could not wear your uniform jacket for more than an hour before risking nerve damage in your left shoulder from the weight.
>>
>>48418671
I wish it was vacation anon. I was in korean and it was hell. I had already been through university and this was the hardest shit I ever went through. This was my schedule for over a year.
>wake up 0430, get on bus to go to PT formation at 0515, PT until 0650
>get back to barracks at 0700, shower and go to class at 0800
>class 0800 to 1600, daily vocab quiz, weekly listening and speaking quiz
>random army bullshit 1700 to sometimes 1900
>crazy amount of asian style cram school homework that would take 4 hours to complete every night as a team with my classmates
>if you get lower than a B+ you get reported to your unit as failing and you have to attend an extra hour of class usually at 2000.
>every night you have to learn 50 new vocab words for daily quiz
>every month you have some kind of military training on a weekend
>every week someone fucks up in your unit or barracks that causes everyone to give up a few hours of their weekend or night to clean the hallways or do inspections
>you have class every monday through friday for over a year with only 1 week off halfway through
>If you "fail" more than twice in a row you either get recycled or restarted to an earlier class, put in another language, or reclassed to a needs of the army MOS if your luck is completely shit. What determines that choice is how good you are at PT (at least in 2008/09 that was the case). Out of the class of 20, only 4 graduated including me. 3 of my peers got reclassed into infantry, medic, and mechanic, which sucked because they had 6 year contracts.

And at the end of it all, I find out the whole automatic 6 figure job on the civilian side is bullshit. Especially for korean, since every korean already speaks fluent english. Do I recommend it? Only in certain circumstances. If you grew up with the language you are learning, you will do great and the teachers will love you. If you have a photographic memory or have an actual talent to learn languages fluently, you will do great.
>>
>>48418827
>mini-medals

Oh lord, I just looked this up and I am dying of laughter. How could you guys let them do this to you?
>>
>>48418852
cont

I forgot to add that current DLI is even worse because of covid. They are having a ridiculous failure rate because of zoom learning.
>>
>>48418865
Yeah I hate wearing them too. The only time it looks good is on evening dress which is only the only time it is mandatory. The full sized medals look nice, especially if you polish them and take care of them like you're supposed to.
>>
>>48418852
Do you have discord? I need someone to translate this korean candy I bought
>>
>>48418827
In the Army, full-sized medals are just kind of an optional use for blues. And that option is rarely used. I've never seen it.

You wear mini-medals on mess dress, but typically only career officers wear mess dress even though it's an authorized uniform for all ranks.

>Same with the belt for the ASU's, just looks lazy to see soldiers at memorial day services with ribbons on their chest and no belt, makes the ASU look oversized.
The Army pretty much got rid of Sam Browne belts after WW2. I suspect that they were too associated with the pre-war Army and so weren't included in the Cold War makeover. This is common in the Army.

ASU jackets look fine if they're properly tailored but junior soldiers don't wear tailored ASUs, they wear shit off the rack from the PX. The material looks cheap too.

The good news is that you don't have to worry about ASUs anymore because we're all going to cosplay as Soldiers from DUBYA DUBYA TWO, aka THE GOOD WAR AGAINST FASCISM.
>>
File: 091102-F-5306T-002.jpg (1.64 MB, 2832x4256)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>48418851
>>
>>48418911
Those hats...are they supposed to be that tall?
>>
>>48417525
Big fan of the color green
>>
>>48418892
No joke, if you check korean study forums 80% are current or former DLI students. I forget the website, but they used to tell us to enroll to get a pen pal to study with.

Serious talk. My one biggest problem with the korean schoolhouse is that the teachers DO NOT fucking teach using the government established lesson plans. They use the workbooks, but make their own custom homework based on native korean learning style (cram school) which doesnt work with american students.
>>
File: AGSU26[1].jpg (35 KB, 373x373)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>48418927
Yes.
>>
>>48418852
At least you can understand kpop now lol
sorry, 8 to 16 had to be a nightmare. I went to trade school for plumbing with the same schedule with only one 15 mins break and I quit, it got to a point my mind could no longer listen to the guy talk anymore, which he did for most of the class, and its obv the same in lang school. I was 18 at the time but still.
I have a much clearer picture of the DLI experience, glad I didnt fall for the -vacation- meme, thank you for taking the time to write this.
>>
>>48418927
It keeps their hair looking stylish when they remove their cover
>>
>>48418927
They're fixing them soon
>>
File: widehat.jpg (56 KB, 864x486)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>48418927
Check out this russian guys hat then lol
>>
>>48418947
I feel you, my second month, the entire class had a shared mental break down. Our teacher said something funny, and we just could not stop laughing the entire day (my class was an AF maj, AF capt, SSG Army, 2 LCPL usmc, and 1 PFC army). So much that a couple of teachers were like we cant teach them and made a complaint to the MLI lol. One of my buddys got corrected by our teacher on an ENGLISH word, mortar, saying that my friend was mispronouncing it (teacher was adamant that it was pronounced MORE TAR instead of more ter) and friend had a breakdown, flipped his desk and walked out.
>>
>>48418995
I like it, it makes their heads look ginormous and makes them look taller
>>
>>48419000
sounds like hell
>>
>>48410236
bros....

i keep clicking on this thread because of that burger picture. It looks too good
>>
>>48418995
>this guy walks into the club and slaps your girlfriend's ass

What do you do?
>>
>>48418911
>Army uniforms.
What the fuck is it with the Army? The Marines never change, even the Navy's uniform, while archaic, is iconic. The Air Force hasn't been around that long, but they're fine with their blue business suit (and it's also distinctive.)

Why does the Army need to change ever couple years, and why does each uniform set look worse than the last?
These Pinks and Greens would be fine, but the tailoring is atrocious. And these are supposed to be the models! Imagine what it will look like on SGT Shaniqua down in HR.
>>
File: 21.jpg (149 KB, 1200x641)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>48418912
>>48418851
Those are rookie numbers anon, check out the NK generals awards, a classic
>>
>>48419082
they marines have changed a few times actually.
>>
>>48419047
Heres my famous hamburger recipe.

>Buy cheap wagyu burger meat, stick of butter, and a small cast iron pan with grill indentations from walmart
>heat pan to low medium heat on stove top
>rub butter stick on grill indentations on pan
>form patty into quarter inch thick pattys, and put on pan
>cook one side until red juice starts coming out the top
>flip patty and flatten a bit
>when red juice comes out of top, raise heat to med high, cook for 30 seconds, flip, throw cheese on top, and cook other side 30 seconds
>take patty off pan and place on cutting board
>toast buns
>put patty in buns and eat.
>>
>>48419082
Because the department of the Navy is all based around tradition, while the Army is such a big branch you'll always see some new leader attempt to create his mark and it'll end up fucking shit up. The new greens are definitely a step in the right direction but I don't know why they can't just recreate the uniform without attempting to "modernize it", they did that to the ASU's and it looks horrible.

>even the Navy's uniform, while archaic, is iconic

Hey anon.... if you brave it out for 20 years you get to wear some nice uniforms, that's if youre not overweight by the time you make Chief.
>>
>>48419000
>I feel you, my second month, the entire class had a shared mental break down.
Yea I can imagine. Also with the added stress that all of you were already all adults in high ranks so the expectations were terribly high, and its not like you could quit any moment like I did. It got to a point where I wanted to move but my body refused, I couldnt walk a single step further and I turned back and took a bus home, never went again. The schedules were shit, wednesday and saturdays, and the guy kept saying with pride how missing the weekend its a good thing because you are learning etc -keep in mind I was the youngest there, all other guys were like you guys, in their 40s with families and jobs-
>>
>>48419095
Here's 1898 enlisted dress uniform, and while it's definitely different, the general principle of the design has been retained (minus the pickelhaube, no fucking clue how that got there)
>>
>>48419142
>all other guys were like you guys, in their 40s with families and jobs-
PS - meant to say in the sense that they had all other responsibilities, not that all of you were in your 40s
>>
>>48419095
They've evolved, yes. But the fundamentals haven't changed.
>>
>>48419140
I like my Crackerjacks and I feel pride when wearing them, but anyone with eyes can see they're clothing from the 19th century.
>>
>>48419097
protip - Dijon mustard and a pinch of sweet papkira powder in the meat before forming the patties. Trust me
>>
>>48419195
Yeah they're not the most visibly pleasing but they have history and there's a culture around them. There's no Army uniform with that, same with the Air Force, Coast Guard and whatever the Space Force creates. That's whats nice about them.

The new ones look nice too, the changes to the cuffs was definitely for the best, now they don't look like oversized pajamas.
>>
>>48419161
Age range was, 40 year old AF major, 36 year old AF captain, 26 year old Army SSg, and everyone else was under 22.

I forgot to mention that the top student was a american born korean who knew the language fluently, and all the teachers would give us shit for not being as good as her. Everytime we told them she was basically a native speaker, they pulled some korean racism and were like, no thats not true shes only a half blood.

Another fun memory was when one of our teachers in our third semester was getting pissy at us because we couldnt remember this one word he taught us on day one that wasnt part of the vocab list, and he was like I TAUGHT YOU ALL THIS. And we had to raise our voices to him that we didnt know that word. It was the word for refrigerator. Another one was when he marked all of us wrong for the word bag. He said it was purse, but the vocab book said it was bag. We had to get the dean involved because that word was in 10 transcription questions, so we all failed the exam. There was alot of bullshit like that going on where we would have to show the teachers that they are teaching us shit that wasnt in the books and grading off of their shit instead of the mandated coursework.
>>
>>48419206
Ive been doing hungarian praprika, dijon mustard, and sour cream, and spicy honey as my sauce. Hungarian praprika is amazing.
>>
>>48418912
I understand the Army have a shit ton of medals but why in the fuck does an airman have that much?

He isn't even AFSOC
>>
>>48419140
This might be a dumb question, but what is the difference between the two uniforms in your pic? Are they worn by different ranks? Designators? What determines if you wear one and not the other?
>>
>>48419260
There is no difference aside from the shoulder boards. As soon as you advance to the rank of Chief (E-7), you're eligible to wear all the uniforms an officer is eligible to wear.
>>
>>48419260
Navy dress uniforms have a cold weather (blue) and warm weather (white) version.
Guy on the left is a Chief, the one on the right is an officer.
>>
To the OP of this threads: I see the thread is at 280. This is the updated Ft. Jackson Anon write-up of his BCT experience
https://pastebin.com/53tsDj90
>>
>>48419150
After the prussians beat the french in 1871 they sent advisors to the US to modernize the military. Marines adopted the pickelhaube for a decade or so.
>>
350F/GS12 Security Manager here. AMA next hour or so.
>>
>>48419260
The man on the left is a Master Chief, also known as E-9, which is the highest enlisted rank. What makes his uniform look especially dapper are the gold stripes on his arms, which he earns through many, many years of service with no issues or troubles. The man on the right is a LCDR a.k.a. Lieutenant Commander, also known as O-4, who is anywhere between his 8th and perhaps 15th year as a commissioned officer (as there is a limit of 7 years as LCDR before you either move up or move out). He is wearing summer whites, which are authorized to be worn only during warmer weather months. He has dress blues that he wears during colder weather months, though he can choose to wear dress blues at any time of the year, but nobody in their right mind would disregard the opportunity to wear summer whites while they can.
>>
>>48419279
>>48419291
Thanks. If chiefs/officers are eligible to wear any dress uniform, are there situations where you're expected to wear one over the other, or does it not matter?
>>
>>48419246

>I forgot to mention that the top student was a american born korean who knew the language fluently, and all the teachers would give us shit for not being as good as her. Everytime we told them she was basically a native speaker, they pulled some korean racism and were like, no thats not true shes only a half blood.
That is like tutorial mode lmao, maybe the -vacation- meme was true for her, its like if I was sent to DLI for spanish when that is my mother tongue.
Were your teachers all from Korea? did they speak fluent english as well? one of the complains some of my friends have who are learning french or japanese etc in private academies is that some teachers barely speak spanish or english and if they do its with a heavy-ass accent so you cant understand shit either way
>>
>>48419326
Not him, but you will know ahead of time what uniform to wear for special events.
>>
>>48419326
>are there situations where you're expected to wear one over the other, or does it not matter?
there's Uniform of the Day which prescribes what color you wear and in what situation.
>>
>>48419321
can I go from 35N3 to 170E without actually being EW?
>>
>>48419323
>but nobody in their right mind would disregard the opportunity to wear summer whites while they can.

Except if you want to be clean / are fat. My dad was a fatbody in the Navy (sorry dad) and he never bought his whites because he knew he'd look bad in them.
>>
>>48419333
Yes, all the teachers were native. Only the MLIs were prior mil linguists. No joke, half of them got hired from bulletin board posters at the local international college and universities in the bay area. The requirement is just having a Green card and 3 years of residency. There are also, at least when I went, 2 native speaking north korean teachers for 3rd semester. Super old guys in their 90s.
>>
>>48419387
>Except if you want to be clean / are fat.

This is true. You could wear your whites in one of those clean rooms where NASA polishes satellite mirrors and somehow still get a grease smudge on your white trousers.
>>
>>48419246
lol I know exactly what word you're talking about. 가방 doesn't quite mean purse, but it's not as general as a "bag" either. It really refers to what in English we'd probably call a "courier bag". I've heard younger Koreans use it for school backpacks. But you would never use the word to refer to a trash bag or anything that in English would be called a "sack".
>>
>>48419347
>>48419353
Got it, thanks anons
>>
>>48419366
Yes. Just look at the list anon. https://recruiting.army.mil/ISO/AWOR/ARMY_FEEDER/
>>
>>48419387
Oh jeez, I'm sorry he felt so self-conscious about it.
>>
>>48419417
follow on question, if i get accepted and get WO1, is there a minimum contract time? like if i go to WOCS with 2 years left do you have to extend for a certain amount of time?
>>
>>48419419
It's easy to gain weight when you're in an engineering rate like him, especially if your metabolism isn't naturally fast anyway. You're working 16 hour days, theres no time to PT, even more so when your PO's aren't organizing PT because they are also working for 16 hours.

People don't really understand that's the difference between fatbodies in the Navy and other branches, if you're in the USAF, unless you're working on the aircraft itself, you will have time to take care of yourself, they just don't, most rates in the Navy just don't.
>>
>>48419405
Yup. Now im remembering exactly what happened. In our workbook it specifically said backpack, and he was like im disappointed in all of you for failing, I will be reporting this to all of your units, and he scheduled us all for counseling forms to take back to our units. We then grabbed our MLI and showed them the book and our graded tests, then we took it all the way up to the dean because the MLI argued with the teacher and gave up.
>>
>>48419323
Thanks!
>>
>>48419450
>most rates in the Navy just don't.

*just don't have the time, fixed.
>>
>>48419436
You have to extend for at least 3 years from entrance to WOCS. The standard timeframe for most stuff.
>>
>>48419419
Shame is good. Most of the world is without shame.
>>
Will the military ever be able to find my 4chan(nel) posts?
>>
>>48419450
Hasn't the Navy abandoned its fitness test?
>>
>>48419483
Yup
>>
>>48419450
and there are few places to PT aboard a ship.
>>
>>48419492
shieeeeet
>>
>>48419485
You only test if you want to promote
>>
>>48419469
That list had 35S but not N, that really sucks. I don't want cyber I want EW. thanks for the responses
>>
New thread, guys.
Updated Ft. Jackson summary included, many thanks to the author.

>>48419503
>>
>>48419507
Woops, thought you said 170A.

Anyhow, you can realistically get secondary MOS qualified as a 35S, as a 35N. Thats how i learned about it when i got secondary qualified as a 35F when I was originally a 35N.
>>
>>48419538
I'm qualified as a 35S and 17C and i can do 99.9% of what 29E/17E can do, I think it's insane that 35S is on there but not 35N/P with tactical backgrounds
>>
>>48419321
how is branching MI after ROTC? Any words of wisdom to up my chances of getting a spoopy/cool guy gig? Would I be eligible for ranger school or at the very least airborne school?
>>
>>48419246
I would've tried to fuck her in exchange for her helping with my homework
>>
>>48419483
>>48419492
>>48419498
no
>>48419485
yes
>>
>>48410236
Everyone should enlist so they can understand what it feels like to regain their rights and freedom when they're handed their DD214.
>>
what % of active duty guys did drugs and lied about it on their enlistment forms? what about officers?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.