[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/jp/ - Otaku Culture

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • [sjis] tags are available. Install the Mona font to view SJIS art properly.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

This is a thread for niche mythology puns and references in Touhou games and literary works.

Previous Threads:
>>29998619
>>31563642
>>
>>33166957
Ringo looks a bit strange today.
>>
File: Tanuki Balls.png (2.19 MB, 1513x1090)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB PNG
In Japanese Folklore Tanuki have gigantic balls, which they can stretch to any size and shape. They can change their scrotum into fishnets, umbrellas or even mochi (pic rel).
>>
File: Ballsy Girl.png (2.02 MB, 1766x2027)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB PNG
>>33167194
It is said that, because Tanuki can make their own balls swoll like that, they can also make wallets swollen. This is why they are said to bring luck and fortune.
>>
>>33167194
>>33167217
>or even mochi
wtf? So Mamizou is immune to Yuuka's CBT?
>>
>Previous Threads:
Don't do that kudasai
>>
File: Nitori.jpg (58 KB, 500x500)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
In Japanese Mythology Kappa were said to dislike saliva, so Nitori probably doesn't like kissing. Sorry anons.
>>
File: Kappa Butt.png (602 KB, 850x1200)
602 KB
602 KB PNG
>>33167427
On the other hand, Kappa in mythology have three buttholes.
You know what to do with this information, anon!
>>
File: Shuten-dōji.jpg (547 KB, 1280x1988)
547 KB
547 KB JPG
Suika is based on (or even IS) Shuten-douji, a drunken demon from Mount Oe. According to the legend Shuten-douji, before becoming an oni, was a human boy who was trained to be a Shinto Priest. One day, during a festival, he got drunk and started scaring people while wearing an oni mask. At the end of the day he became a real Oni.
>>
>>33168283
After this he escaped on a Mount Oe. He started kidnapping girls to rape them, suck theri blood and eat their flesh.

You heard that right, Suika is canonically a rapist!
>>
.>>33167574
>Kappa in mythology have three buttholes.
What?
>>
>>33168304
I wish Suika would rape me
>>
>>33167217
It's the other way around. Their skin was used for wallets and the scrotum jokes seem to have come way later. There's little folklore related to their balls, seems like it was always a self-aware running gag in art
>>
Is anything here really niche anymore? It's the same stuff getting repeated again and again

Hurr tanuki balls

Hurr kappa ass

Hurr Shuten douji

Is this news to anybody? It feels like you're just going through the paces again
>>
>>33179742
niche isn't the right word to use there if you're talking about going through paces again.
I don't feel like tossing words into the void, so I generally find things to do if I'm not lurking.
>>
>>33179742
The Shuten douji is stuff I'm not familiar with and not as wildly referenced as tanuki balls and kappa ass.
There's way more to Touhou than just that, but I guess I was passed out for the previous threads.
>>
>>33179742
If you want new Touhou discussions, /jp/ ain't the place,
2chan is
>>
File: CoLASwordofKusanagi.jpg (15 KB, 275x255)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
This thread will die, but I was recently trying to find information on hihi'irokane. It was a mythical metal harder than diamond and could not rust. Marisa in Curiosities of Lotus Asia hoarded a bunch of scrap metal after fruitless attempts in finding it. Rinnosuke admits he has a few and agrees to repair the mini-hakkero with it in exchange for her collection, and ends up finding the sword of kusanagi in it without her knowing its value or that it's made out of hihi'irokane.
Anyways, this metal isn't from some ancient mythology but apparently stemmed from a cult from somewhere between 30's and 70's that claimed to have an ancient text called the Takenouchi Documents describing a global advanced civilization ruled by the Japanese emperor billions of years ago. I'm still in the middle of looking them up and can see they also talk about UFO's and Jesus in Japan.
>>
>>33191850
Every thread will die. After two (three?) long threads of niche lore and references, we run out of niche lore and references. And I'm not going to post about things already covered in previous threads.

Nice work finding a piece of trivia not covered in previous threads, tho.
>>
>>33191929
I saw this thread teetering off page 10, I knew it was bound to die after I posted, but it does not matter if I managed to say my piece and at least one other person read it.
And I'm reading those threads right now after feeling stupid that I somehow missed them. Mythology and lore interests me the most, it's why I like SMT and unsurprisingly is probably the same reason ZUN likes it. One day, when I'm finished reading everything, this thread or this thread's ancestor will live again. I feel like the comments on tanuki and kappa were cheeky jokes.
Anyways, if Runnosuke found the mirror and magatama, this could make him the rightful emperor of Japan.
>>
I didn't read the post right before clicking and thought maybe it was a thread about notable references to 2hu outside of 2hu which I think could have been interesting
>>
>>33192877
Did you know that Jojo vilain DIO is partially based on Sakuya and Remilia?
>>
>>33197167
>Volumes 13–28, 152 chapters. In 1989, Dio Brando
>>
File: file.png (6 KB, 247x249)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>33197242
:^)
>>
>>33197381
The manga, dude.
It's an old series.
>>
>>33166994
I can't see Ringo clearly, but she's definitely there.
>>
I haven't really been paying attention to these threads which is surprising cause I like mythology.

Has anyone bothered to archive all of the findings and such?
>>
File: zuntata.png (50 KB, 747x777)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
Kaku Seiga's design is similar to the girl in the Zuntata logo (Taito's in-house band; ZUN's nickname is a coincidence, but he was employed at Taito from 1998-2007), which is in turn based on mythological depictions of celestial beings from various cultures. E.g. Chinese mythological beings known as 飞天, often translated as 'harpies' or 'fairies', and Kinnara from Hindu/Buddhist mythology, who can pass between realms.
>>
File: file.png (1.66 MB, 1200x1200)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
>>33166957
Hecate is a greek goddess depicted in triple form. Lampads are Hecate's companions, being nymphs of the underworld, and sometimes being depicted with torches that can drive people to madness.

They are represented in Touhou via Hecatia and Clownpiece.
>>
>>33202731
You would need to look through the warsou archive. OP posted digits of two of them, but there definitely was more.
>>
>>33197439
troled xd
>>
>>33207844
Working at Taito also inspired a lot of UFO
>>
>>33210848
Yeah, Taito made "Space Invaders" after all.
>>
File: cute jomon girls.png (635 KB, 945x537)
635 KB
635 KB PNG
>>33191850
http://www.takenouchi-documents.com/
They have a site in English, lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvWLonzHtH4
It's basically just Theosophy's Atlantis, root races, etc but with a Japanese focus, some Nazis had their own version. But the typical educational anime look of it makes so much more bizarre, at least it's better than the more creepy and gaudy paintings cults end to adore.
Japan was at the center of an ancient global utopia, we now live in a dystopia because the gods punished the rest of a world for disobeying Japan, and to return to this utopia Japan should become the center of a one-world government.
Jesus, Muhammad, Moses, Confucius, Buddha, and all that were all originally Japanese. And something something aliens.
And this is all related to metal used in Marisa's mini-hakkero.
>>
>>33211180
https://youtu.be/Hd73Mu51iwQ
8:50, there it is.
These are wild
>>
File: Touhou Ebola.png (254 KB, 855x346)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
Kosuzu wondering, what sort of youkai Ebola is in Forbidden Scrollery (pic rel), actually makes some sense. In Japanese mythology there was a Smallpox Youkai – Hōsōshin, who was said to cause smallpox (hence the name).
>>
File: Greedy.png (83 KB, 249x275)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
>>33191850
>and ends up finding the sword of kusanagi in it without her knowing its value or that it's made out of hihi'irokane.
Aside from that, I'll look into it once I get the time since it sounds interesting.
>>
>>33210823
You only managed to confuse me more than troll
>>
Do doujins add to the lore?
>>
>>33191850
Man, Japanese cults are weird.
>>
File: tewi gensokyo.png (645 KB, 621x1480)
645 KB
645 KB PNG
>>33237444
>Do doujins add to the lore?
Not really? They give a different take since it's up to the author to interpret what is already there. I haven't found everything, but it varies person to person. It all comes down to everyone having a personal interpretation of Gensokyo, led by what is commonly acceptable or accepted by the fanbase.
>>
>>33237444
One example of non-canon having an effect would be Cirno on the subject of her wings.
>>
>>33237444
>>33238062
In a sense, I'd say they do, on the grounds that actual folklore has far more in common with collective fanon than with the canon imposed upon high to which we usually apply the term "lore".
>>
File: Join NASA.png (334 KB, 937x1207)
334 KB
334 KB PNG
>>33238424
Every fan can add to the lore… except moonie-lovers. Any doujin that shows lunarians in a positive light is not lore-friendly by default.
>>
>>33238070
>One example of non-canon having an effect would be Cirno on the subject of her wings.
Explain.
>>
>>33216827
If memes like the seal can end up in Gensokyo, then maybe one day Ebola-chan will make her debut.
>>
>>33192185
>it's why I like SMT and unsurprisingly is probably the same reason ZUN likes it.
ZUN like SMT too? I bet he is actually might be chaofag
>>
>>33241067
The games are basically /2hu/ - SMT/Jojo References
>>
File: Th16Cirno.png (582 KB, 1002x360)
582 KB
582 KB PNG
>>33240321
>Explain.
Not >>33238070, but ZUN started drawing Cirno's wings as detached ice shards instead of pointy fairy wings. Look at her appearance throughout various games. https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Cirno

On the subject of Cirno, some characters mentioned that her tan wasn't just a tan and was a sign of something happening, but it was never explained what: https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Strange_Creators_of_Outer_World/Who's_Who_of_Humans_%26_Youkai_in_Gensokyo/Tanned_Cirno
According to that article, tanned Cirno is a parody of tanned Sakura in MvC, who herself is a parody of dark Ryu. Thus the thing that's happening to Cirno was likely her becoming corrupted by power/losing her fairyity to madness. https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Satsui_no_Hado
Incidentally, it doesn't mention it, but it's likely her sunflower is a reference to evil Ryu directly, see image.
>>
>>33243718
>wasn't just a tan and was a sign of something happening
tan = corruption
https://mangadex.org/chapter/698489/1
>>
>>33241275
How boring.
>>
>>33241275
>The games are basically /2hu/ - SMT/Jojo References
are they now.
I never played through SMT, but I might reconsider.
>>
>>33241067
>I bet he is actually might be chaofag
A thing that annoys me about SMT is how Oni are always portrayed as being chaos-aligned when they're actually lawful torturers of sinners in hell.
>>
>>33263225
Don't whitewash the part where they kidnap and eat people.
>>
>>33263338
Lawful doesn't mean that they're morally good. The SMT setting repeatedly brings this up. Overall they seem subservient to the judges of hell who probably tolerate their terror-mongering on Earth so that humans retain a fear of judgement in the afterlife.

Also, despite their actions against humanity they do have a moral code and claim to despise humans being for being liars and tricksters in contrast to their own brutal honesty and upfrontness.
>>
>>33263609
>upfrontness
What if they purposefully avoid questions
>>
>>33237444
If it's not made by ZUN then no they are not, unless they are related to folklore.
>>
Alice's doll Hourai is the Japanese name for Mount Penglai, a winterless mountain island in Chinese legend existing far off into the east, populated by the eight xian, with fruit that grant immortality.
I feel like most people interested in mythology might have already known this. I just want to mention that according to legend Chinese explorer, Xu Fu, claimed that he found the island but told Emperor Qin he needed reinforcements, and asking for 6000 virgin girls and boys in particular.
He sailed off and never came back.
>>
File: Based Caroll.png (97 KB, 978x417)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
Lewis Carroll was a pedophile. This probably explains why Alice is such a fucking weirdo and why nobody likes her.
>>
>>33288933
I don't know who that dude is quoting but I thought Lewis Carroll was respected among his peers. The girls' families still requested the photos burned after his death
>>
>>33288933
It can easily be interpreted that way with our modern views but honestly I don't think he actually was, he was just slightly autistic man with a few strange hobbies and a troubled love life.
>>
File: .jpg (40 KB, 412x550)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>33288933
As someone who has looked into this

Calling Carroll a pedophile for the naked kid paintings he had would be like calling a modern day old lady with naked cherub paintings in her house a pedophile. TECHNICALLY those look like naked babies but the painting is meant to represent purity instead of lewdness. Many contemporaries among his time had similar paintings, and nobody from back then would've found them out of the ordinary.

Someone who has lived with very young children will know that they're naked a large amount of the time. Paintings back then often tried to reflect that period of youthful innocence.

This shit is basically a clickbait tier rumor, it sounds scandalous for the creator of alice in wonderland to be a pedo so that's what people say. But if you look into this shit you'll find it was a norm to have paintings like that and saying they were lewd back then would be seen as absurd and just indicative of your own issues.
>>
>>33297779
>saying they were lewd back then would be seen as absurd
An exaggeration
>>
>>33297779
I didn't even know that was the story.
Didn't those painting get famous?
>>
>>33303395
>Didn't those painting get famous?
Didn't those paintings get famous years later? Nobody talks about Carroll as much, let alone what you mentioned.
>>
>>33240302
>Join NASA
I really need to get around to writing that fucking pasta.
>>
>>33247900
Ironically, it was just a tan in the case being parodied.
>>
File: Nitogineer.jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>33167427
Kappas were also said to hate metal and the sound of firearms, so mythologically accurate Kappas wouldn't be engineers.
>>
Dogu when?
>>
>>33237772
Meh, it was classic "muh we wuz advanced kingdom and shiet". Scientology still has the most unique cult lore of all time
>>
>>33237772
Cults don't really need to make sense.
>>
>>33347519
This image is now impossible as it seems.
It's either this image or another one where she builds a thruster (rocket).
>>
>>33372609
>this one
No, nevermind. It reminds me of something else.
>>
>>33167194
I forgot you were talking about folklore for a second.
>>
>>33167194
>They can change their scrotum into fishnets, umbrellas or even moch
trufax, everything in this image is a Tanuki's scrotum.
>>
>>33166957
Touhou-chan looks very cute here.
>>
>>33183854
Where then
There's shitposting everywhere, no matter where you look.
>>
>>33419281
Truth
>>
Nice, I will contribute!
>>
>>33167574
Please name their locations kudasai
>>
File: Nukekubi.jpg (144 KB, 850x1451)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
Sekibanki is not actually a Rokurokubi, but a Nukekubi – chinese and japanese monster, who had detachable head (unlike rokurokubi, who had long necks), and wore scarfs to hide lines between their heads and necks.
>>
File: poor banki.jpg (130 KB, 616x1012)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>33437808
Also in the mythos Nukekubi (as well as rokurokubi) were lived like normal humans, and their their youkai powers activated only during their sleep. When they were asleep their heads would go on a hunt to eat some bugs and drink human blood (yes, nukekubi were japanese vampires).
>>
>>33437925
>nukekubi were japanese vampires
This is a first, but aren't there others that drink blood or is it exclusive to the nukekubi?
>>
>>33444380
There were others, nukekubi are one of a couple of kinds of youkai that can be called 'japanese vampires'.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.