[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Dene-Caucasian.png (179 KB, 909x438)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
Dene-Caucasian edition

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
https://4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages:
[DEAD LINK] Older version: https://mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A
[BETTER ANYWAY] Newer version: https://mega.nz/folder/INlRkAQC#CthKI9-_kmDNyrOx12Ojbw

Lots of books on linguistics of various kinds, as well as language courses:
https://mega.nz/#F!Ad8DkLoI!jj_mdUDX_ay-8D9l3-DbnQ

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
https://pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200316222401/https://yuki.la/t/796928

List of trackers for most language learning packs:
https://files.catbox.moe/nmrn8x.txt

Ukrainianon's list of commercial courses from rutracker.org:
https://pastebin.com/3EWMhSPN (embed)

Russianon's list of comprehensible input resources:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wXd0V32TjCFsr1-F_en_lA4MI-i7JtyYf26cWLtPRec

Pastebin that archives challenges:
https://pastebin.com/u/jopiepoliste/1/dMvKSQMw?sort=-name

FAQ:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the wiki.
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No.
>What is the most useful language?
Navajo.
>What language should I learn?
Basque.
>Can I learn X and Y language at the same time?
If you want.

Old: >>174098498
Old challenge: none lmao
>>
File: coney.png (1.55 MB, 1280x871)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
Challenge: Honey edition.
> Easy
Honey is made by honeybees from nectar.
Honey is sweet and can be used instead of sugar.
Honey tastes different depending on which flowers are used.
> Medium
The husbandry of bees is known as beekeeping.
Most microorganisms cannot grow in honey, so sealed honey does not spoil.
Honey use and production has a long and varied history, with its beginnings in prehistoric times.
> Hard
The first written records of beekeeping are from ancient Egypt, where honey was used to sweeten cakes, biscuits, and other foods.
In ancient Greek religion, the food of Zeus and the twelve Gods of Olympus was honey in the form of nectar and ambrosia.
The oldest known honey remains were found in Georgia during the construction of the Baku–Tbilisi–Ceyhan pipeline: archaeologists found honey remains on the inner surface of clay vessels unearthed in an ancient tomb, dating back between 4,700 and 5,500 years.
>>
File: based_dijuni.png (148 KB, 1014x506)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>174141852
MT: L-għasel huwa magħmul minn naħal minn nektar.
AR: العسل مصنوع من نحل العسل من الرحيق. (Al-ʿasal masnu'i min naħl ar-raħiq)
DJU: Am-duşu mansew mnien niħel am-nektir.
>>
>>174142029
how based
I need honey word in meshkwan, hmmmmmmm
>>
>>174142294
I took it from Romanian "dulce" meaning "sweet"
>>
>>174141852
Kiswahili
>RAHISI
Asali ilifanywa na nyuki kutoka nekta.
Asali ni tamu na inaweza kutumia badala ya sukari.
Asali ina ladha tofauti inategemea maua yaliyotumia.
>KATI
Ufugaji wa nyuki inafahamu kama beekeeping.
Microorganisms nyingi haziwezi kukuza ndani asali, basi asali iliyofunikwa haitaharibu.
Matumizi na uzalishaji wa asali zina historia refu na tofauti, na awali yake ndani kabla ya historia.
>>
File: 1669274906378.jpg (69 KB, 682x519)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
Well, I had finally understood the difference between /æ/ and /e/ in the conservative RP, so may you explain to me in detail about the differences? Is the conservative one more prestigious? Does somebody still speak it? Has an ESL meaning to use it at all?
>>
>>174143418
Swahili has a lot of Arabic words from what I'm seeing. Very interesting.
>>
>>174143437
But I still see no differences between /æ/ and /ɛ/ in GA, by the way.
>>
>>174141852
Mel é feito pelas abelhas de néctar.
Mel é doce e pode ser usado em vez de açúcar.
Mel prova diferente dependente de qual flores estão usado.
A pecuária de abelhas é conhecida como apicultura.
Muitos microorganismos não podem crescer em mel, então mel fechado não estraga.
Uso e produção de mel tem uma historia longa e variada, com seu começo em tempos pré-históricos.
O primeiro registro escrito da apicultura é de antigo egito, onde mel estava usado a adoçar bolos, biscoitos e outras comidas.
Em religião greco antigo, a comida do zeus e os doze deuses de olimpo foram mel na forma de néctar e ambrosia.
Os restos conhecidos mais velhos de mel eram encontrado na geórgia durante de construção de oleoduto baku-tbilisi-ceyhan: os arqueólogoes encontraram restos de mel na suferfície interna dos jarros de barros desenterraram em um túmulo antigo, remonta a entre 4700 e 5500 anos.
>>
>>174143625
40% of its vocabulary
>>
I'm a directionless food service wagie with a lot of free time
I'm torn between dedicating the next several years to language learning (Mandarin) or making vidya/websites through webdev in the hopes of eventually landing a job
basically I'm not sure which endless grind to pick, I want to give 100% to either one so I don't see doing a mix of the two working
with the rising US-China cold war, what can an American even do jobs/travel wise with respect to China in the next 5, 10 years? should I just view Flushing NY as my best chance at finding Chinese people irl?
>>
>>174144472
> (Mandarin)
Guys... post it.
>>
>>174144584
I've seen the image plenty of times, it's my TL of choice and that's unlikely to change
>>
>>174143437
> Has an ESL meaning to use it at all?
I thought you settled on General American? At this point it looks like you're just procrastinating by learning useless trivia about accents, instead of actually studying.
>>174143722
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnWPcvI20Uk
Good video, make sure to do the exercises in the second half of the video.
>>
>>174144719
That's fine, you can learn whatever language you like (at the expense of your sanity).
The important question is, are you financially secure?
>>
>>174144852
>thought you settled
I changed my opinion in one of the past threads, where I knew why there is /a/ instead of /æ/ in modern RP. So what about conservative/contemporary?
>instead of actually studying
We speak English right now which is exactly the study, isn't it?
>>
>>174144942
I'm secure enough that I can afford rent, food and gas and still have a little bit of savings at the end of every month, yes
I'm making $20-$30/hr but only work part time, so it's on par with full time minimum wage. I want to be in a position where 3 to 5 years from now I can have a skill that I can offer to people (I have no degree), but I also don't want to be a monolingual anglo forever
I'm leaning towards language learning and leaving the programming for a few years down the road, since AI models are always getting better and improving productivity on that front drastically
>>
>>174145038
>>174144852
>useless trivia about accents
I explain why I focused on this at all: with contemporary RP speaking I usually confuse this /a/ sound because everywhere, even in British speech often, I hear only /æ/ sound, but conservative RP confuses me by eternal exceptions and non-founding rules which still looks better when I understood the /e/. American English is not much simpler than consRP but sounds redneck though.
>>
>>174145038
> So what about conservative/contemporary?
I can't give you a definite answer, since I'm not a dialectologist. The definition of RP itself is contested and there is no universally accepted way of subdividing it into smaller varieties.
Most people recognize three main subcategories of RP:
"Conservative RP" typically refers to the English spoken by the older generations of the upper-class.
"General RP" or "Mainstream RP" is neutral and says nothing about the speaker's age.
"Contemporary RP" is spoken exclusively by younger speakers.
>>174145095
Honestly I don't think I can help you, do you have friends or family you could ask for life advice?
>>
>>174141540
>Old challenge: none lmao
It's over.

Also, how dare you, OP?
>>
>>174145660
>do you have friends or family you could ask for life advice?
my friends are anonymous posters on 4channel.org and my family gives NPC tier 'just bee urself' platitudes
>>
Have any of you played online games or joined live discussions to engage with people in a specific TL? If so, how was it for you, and have you done anything to make it easier? I have been queuing in another region in online games recently, trying to speak to them when appropriate. I know enough to coordinate in games and be helpful, but it's a bit of a struggle when I'm drilled for personal questions, or when their mics are low in volume or clarity. I certainly need to acquire more language so I can communicate more fluidly, but my confidence takes a hit when there's a break in the conversation due to a muddy mic or feeling shy. I guess all real confidence comes from experience.
>>
>>174145660
>a definite answer
Thanks, then I shall wait for some natives. But which pair sounds better in your opinion?
https://voca.ro/1c9w18avoo71
>>174143437
BRITISHERS ANSWER ME!!!
SYKA BLYAD BISTRA
>>
>>174145717
just be yourself bro
>>
>>174145916
>BRITISHERS
Muh, Americans may answer too. Does anybody in the USA speak RP at all?
>>174146038
>>174145717
>>
>>174145916
1 is not how the word is pronounced at all.
2 and 3 actually sound very nice.
4 is more like "men".
>>
>>174145916
I agree with the Russian's impressions of your voice clip. The only people I know who pronounce 'man' like the first one are Jamaicans.
>>
>>174146150
There was the "man/men" pair in mainstream/conservative RP respectively. Do you think the last pair was better?
>is not how
In mainstream RP there is clearly /a/ sound. This confuses me too but that is exactly as it is pronounced.
>more like "men"
Yep, it was.
>>174146222
Hmm, maybe there is really something wrong with my /a/ then.
>>
>>174146264
Here, at 0:45:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm4rQUtI_dc&list=PLLmk_1x96FKDhrQ2m8JOsTyOUiTfKhrCo&index=9
Is it a different sound?
>>
>>174146038
>>174146099
alright fuck it programming can wait
you now have a new cellmate, congratulations
>>
>>174146372
Muh, nope, here was an exactly different sound. But in some articles I saw /æ/ is replaced by /a/ which identical to the Russian /a/. Was it a misunderstanding?
>>
>>174143437
It's a class thing mainly, southern richfags learn it from birth and midul/norf fags who get rich later in life often learn it via elocution lessons due to being ashamed of their background for some fucking reason
>>
>>174146681
So is there a difference between classes of people who speak modern and conservative RP? At the examples of the speech of lords and etc I heard only the second one.
>>
>>174146264
> In mainstream RP there is clearly /a/ sound. This confuses me too but that is exactly as it is pronounced.
[a] and [ɑ] are totally different sounds. Honestly, I think part of the confusion comes from the choice of the symbol.
>>174146372
Totally different.
>>174146524
The IPA is just a tool for communication, it can be used however you want as long as you and the reader are on the same page.
Have you considered learning the IPA and just reading through the Wikipedia page on English phonology? Maybe that will answer your questions.
>>
>>174146872
>are totally different
Yep, I shall have to admit. Then I shall choose conservative RP, the trap-bath list and the other shall be learned in both cases anyway.
>just reading through
Yep, that is exactly how I understood the conservative sounds. I just somehow thought [a] is a Russian sound.
>>
>>174146772
I'm not that knowledgeable on that kind of upper class culture but I think that's about right, modern is spoken more by people like politicians and businessmen and conservative by lords, royalty etc. There's also an age distinction i.e. older people are more likely to speak conservative.
>>
>>174147400
Thanks.
>>
>>174141540
Meds
>>
>>174147695
meds
>>
>>174144719
>>174144584
What is it?
>>
File: 1458286097053.png (946 KB, 1400x5552)
946 KB
946 KB PNG
>>174148950
guy worked with Chinese people and they scammed him or something, don't remember
>>
>>174142029
is arabic as difficult as everyone says it is? is it really that complicated like with a ton of cases and irregular verbs? or is it just difficult because most of their vocab and concepts don't exist in european languages?
>>
WTF is the French Duolingo's course's obsession with the term "apartment building"?
>>
>>174150628
Do you use the courses for German speaking?
There's no such shit in the English speaking courses.
>>
>>174150739
Huh? What German courses? I'm talking about the frequency with which "immeuble" features in the French courses. It's in, like, ever other exercise it feels like. And it's been like that for several units now.

I get it with random words like "chouette" (for obvious reasons) but this just feels weird.
>>
This is how she licks my pener
>>
>>174144472
For the same amount of effort as learning shit on your own, you could go to a community college, get a 4.0, and transfer into the best state school

With this being said, learning a language might be fun.
>>
Thanksgiving challenge

>easy
Mom burnt the cherry-pie.
I love cranberry-sauce.
Pass the gravy, please.
Christmas is right around the corner.
Ham or turkey?

>medium
This thanksgiving we have football and soccer to watch.
This year I am going to try to make mashed-potatoes from scratch.
In my family it's a tradition to watch the Macy's parade together every year.
After dinner, we are going to go buy our Christmas tree and then decorate it.
Soon the airwaves will be inundated with Christmas songs.

>hard
During dinner, I overindulged and now I am extremely bloated and feel so lethargic that I think I am just gonna go collapse on the couch.
The crazy uncle has become a sort of thanksgiving archetype, but honestly both of mine are throughly normal, even boring.
Surprisingly Thanksgiving recently has been the most-travelled day of the year, outstripping Christmas for the last two years in terms of travel.
>>
>>174151441
Yeah, I didn't get you correctly. Anyway I met more strange things on Duolingo.
The second sentence translates as "Matej promised that Russia would take revenge"
>>
>>174151469
Bad taste, namefag.

>>174152373
All I noted in terms of sentences is that they seem weirdly obsessed with pushing their faggotry on users, constantly talking about men being married to men.
>>
>>174145916
The third time you say man is the best. The first time is horrible. Second is fine. Last time is not good.

It is hard to say individual words I find, because you put too much thought into them. If you just say a sentence or a few sentences, it is more natural.
>>
>>174152077
Mom hat den Kirchenkuchen gebrannt.
Mir gefällt sehr Cranberrysoße
Bitte reich mir die Bratensoße herüber
Weihnachten ist gleich um die Ecke
Schinken oder Truthahn?

Dieses Thanksgiving haben wir sowohl Fußball auch amerikanisches Fußball zum Ansehen.
Dieses Jahr versuche ich den Kartoffelbrei von Grund auf zuzubereiten.
In meiner Familie gibt es eine Tradition, dass wir uns jedes Jahr gemeinsam den Macyaufzug anschauen.
Nach dem Abendessen kaufen wir uns unseren Christbaum und danach werden wir den schmucken.
Bald werden die Funkwellen von Weihnachtslieder überflutet werden.

Während des Abendessens habe ich mir zu viel gegönnt und deswegen bin ich jetzt aufgeblasen und fühle mich so träge, dass ich glaube, dass ich einfach auf dem Sofa zusammenbrechen werde.
der verrückte Onkel ist einigermaßen ein Thanksgivingarchetyp geworden, aber ehrlich gesagt sind gereist durchaus normal, und zwar langweilig.
Überraschend ist Thanksgiving in letzter Zeit der am gereistste Tag des Jahres, übertreffend Weihnachten zwei Jahre in Reihe, was Reisen angeht.
>>
File: pepo-g-peepo.gif (103 KB, 112x112)
103 KB
103 KB GIF
>>174141852
>Kolay
Bal, balarısıların tarafından nektardan üretiliyor.
Bal tatlıdır ve şeker yerine kullanılabilir.
Balın tat hangi çiçek kullanıldığına bağlıdır.

>Orta
Balarısının hayvancılık ''arıyetiştiricilik'' olarak biliniyor.
En çok mikroorganizmalar bal içinde yetişemiyorlar/üreyemiyorlar. Kapalı olan bal bozulmuyor o yüzden.
Balın kullanım ve üretim uzun ve kapsamlı tarihe sahiptir. Üstelik tarihöncesi çağların başlangıça kadar uzanır.
>>
ГOOOOЙДA, БPATЬЯ!!!
>>
File: apu bell curve.png (58 KB, 657x718)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>174141852
La miel es hecho de néctar por abejas de miel.
La miel es dulce y puede ser utilizada en lugar de azúcar.
La miel sabe diferente según cuales flores son utilizadas.
>>
File: Gönner.jpg (158 KB, 1078x1018)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>174153035
>Mom hat den Kirchenkuchen gebrannt
*Mama/Mutti *Kirschkuchen *verbrannt.

>Mir gefällt sehr Cranberrysoße
*...soße sehr./Ich liebe ...

>Weihnachten ist gleich um die Ecke
I don't think we use that idiom, I'd probably just say 'ist bald da'.

>Dieses Thanksgiving haben wir sowohl Fußball auch amerikanisches Fußball zum Ansehen.
*Erntedankfest :^) *als auch *better: 'zum Anschauen'

>In meiner Familie gibt es eine Tradition, dass wir uns jedes Jahr gemeinsam den Macyaufzug anschauen.
*die Macy-Parade (Aufzug=elevator, Festzug/Umzug=parade)

>Nach dem Abendessen kaufen wir uns unseren Christbaum und danach werden wir den schmucken.
*better: 'ihn' instead of 'den' *schmücken

>der verrückte Onkel ist einigermaßen ein Thanksgivingarchetyp geworden, aber ehrlich gesagt sind gereist durchaus normal, und zwar langweilig.
*sind meine beiden durchweg/vollkommen normal, sogar langweilig.
And I think 'ist eine Art ...archetyp geworden' comes closer to the original.

>Überraschend ist Thanksgiving in letzter Zeit der am gereistste Tag des Jahres, übertreffend Weihnachten zwei Jahre in Reihe, was Reisen angeht.
*better: 'Überraschenderweise' *'der Tag, an dem am meisten gereist wird' (you could try what you said with 'BEreiste' but it'd still sound weird) *either 'Weihnachten ... übertreffend' oder dropping this entirely and going with 'und übertraf Weihnachten'; we don't really use the progressive in this manner all that much *in Folge
>>
>>174152077
>>174153035
>>Weihnachten ist gleich um die Ecke
>I don't think we use that idiom, I'd probably just say 'ist bald da'.
You're right in this context, but we do use it when referring to physical locations, e.g. "Der Kiosk ist gleich um die Ecke."

And instead of "Archetyp" I would say "Klischee", though the meaning is slightly different, the word Archetyp isn't really used in German.
>>
>>174154793
>>174154346
>>
>>174154793
>You're right in this context, but we do use it when referring to physical locations
Uh, duh, but that's much of an idiom then if it's something that's actually (and usually literally) around the next corner.
>>
>>174154855
*not much

Also, yeah, you can say ...klischee but 'Archetyp' is definitely used in contexts like literature or art.
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 244x207)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>174153254
>En çok mikroorganizmalar bal içinde yetişemiyorlar
Azönce bu cümle yanlış olduğu farkettim. Çoğul eki eklememeliydim.
>>
>>
File: 41i1HAmYGbL._SL400_.jpg (22 KB, 261x400)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Has anyone here tried this serie?

>>174143625
>>174143942
I asked an Omani classmate about it last week and he said that they consider it an Arabic dialect and not a separate language
>>
>>174156639
I think a large portion of the vocabulary comes from Arabic, but the grammar itself is Bantu rather than Semitic. It seems similar to how English has a huge portion of French vocabulary but is still Germanic in structure.

I would definitely consider Maltese an Arabic dialect, however.
>>
>>174142570
>>174142029
>duşu
>I took it from Romanian "dulce" meaning "sweet"
How do you decide the sound changes? Do you have a set of rules for sound correspondences? Or is it more just about what "sounds right".
>>
>>174151469
I thought you were gay
>>
>>174154793
"Weihnachten steht vor der Tür" would be the most fitting interpretation of this idiom.
>>
>>174149407
That story about the hospital is baffling. So, because anon was white, they made him pay for another white patient's treatment while he was unconscious? What? And they were unprioritizing patients' treatments on the basis of being white? also the outrageous costs
>>
>>174158162
>"Weihnachten steht vor der Tür"
based
julen står för dörren
>>
>>174157790
Not when I see Zari
>>
>>174152077
Maмa coжглa вишнeвый пиpoг
Я люблю клюквeнный coyc
Пepeдaй coyc, пoжaлyйcтa
Poждecтвo пpямo зa yгoл
Beтчинa или индeйкaЪ

Этoт Дeнь Блaгoдapeния y нac ecть aмepикaнcкий фyтбoл и фyтбoл чтo пocмoтpить
Этoт гoд я пoпытaюcь cдeлaть пюpe caм
B мoeй ceмьe ecть тpaдиция кaждый гoд cмoтpeть вмecтe пapaд Meйcи
Пocлe eды, мы выйдeм кyпить poждecтвeнcкyю eлкy и пoтoм ee дeкopиpoвaть
Paдиoвoлны cкopo бyдyт нaвoдяны poждecтвeнcкoй мyзыкoй
>>
>>174156639
Bought one of these books. They're pretty good if you're reading to that level. Definitely isn't the same as reading literature from your TL though.
>>
>>174156639
Aren't most Arab dialects mutually incomprehensible?
>>
Do you guys create your own Anki decks or do you use publicly shared ones? If you create your own, what's your process for creating them? Where do you get the words or sentences from? Do you use audio recordings or only text?
>>
>>174160447
> Poждecтвo пpямo зa yгoл
Poждecтвo yжe пpямo зa yглoм.
The expressions "yжe нa нocy" or "yжe нa пopoгe" are idiomatic.
> Этoт Дeнь Блaгoдapeния y нac ecть aмepикaнcкий фyтбoл и фyтбoл чтo пocмoтpить
B этoт Дeнь блaгoдapeния мы мoжeм пocмoтpeть aмepикaнcкий фyтбoл и фyтбoл.
No idea how to translate this construction properly, but the way you did it is clearly wrong.
> Этoт гoд я пoпытaюcь cдeлaть пюpe caм
B этoм гoдy я пoпытaюcь cдeлaть пюpe caм.
> Пocлe eды, мы выйдeм кyпить poждecтвeнcкyю eлкy и пoтoм ee дeкopиpoвaть
Пocлe eды мы пoйдeм пoкyпaть poждecтвeнcкyю eлкy и зaтeм ee нapядим.
decorate a christmas tree = нapяжaть eлкy
> Paдиoвoлны cкopo бyдyт нaвoдяны poждecтвeнcкoй мyзыкoй
Cкopo paдиoэфиp зaпoлoнят poждecтвeнcкиe пecни.
>>
>>174161256
Finished a publically created one and I'm now using one I create. Words come from having to lookup definitions whilst I'm reading.
>>
>>174153254
>Kolay
>Bal, balarısıların tarafından nektardan üretiliyor.
bal arıları (plural suffix takes precedence over Accusative [arı - lar - ı])
>Bal tatlıdır ve şeker yerine kullanılabilir.
Doğru
>Balın tat hangi çiçek kullanıldığına bağlıdır.
tat > tadı
çiçek > çiçeğin

>Orta
>Balarısının hayvancılık ''arıyetiştiricilik'' olarak biliniyor.
hayvancılığı, accusative form is used since you are attributing to balarısı a profession
also, bilinir (biliniyor = present), (bilinir = simple present)

>En çok mikroorganizma bal içinde yetişemiyorlar/üreyemiyorlar. Kapalı olan bal bozulmuyor o yüzden.
Çoğu mikroorganizma
en çok means "most (superlative)"
When translating directly from English, this typo is understandable, if you hadn't used en, it's acceptable even

>Balın kullanım ve üretim uzun ve kapsamlı tarihe sahiptir. Üstelik tarihöncesi çağların başlangıça kadar uzanır.
kullanımı ve üretimi (Accusative cases, you are "accusing" kullanım and üretim to bal)
kapsamlı bir tarihe, don't forget articles
çağ-lar-ın başlangıc-ı-(n)a
ages-GEN start-ACC-DAT
the (n) here is not genitive, but you probably know that, you need dative since you say "TO the start of prehistoric ages"

keep going, you are doing good so far on turkish
>>
>>174156639
Makes no sense to me how Swahili can be considered an Arabic dialect when It's not even part of the same language family as Arabic.
>>
>>174156639
I read about two thirds of Short Stories in Spanish. The stories were easy to understand, but they're extremely boring. I can't recommend the series, I'd rather just read stuff that I'll enjoy.
I don't think Olly Richards had anything to do with the creation of the books. It sounds like he hired a writer to write short stories in English, and then hired translators to translate them into multiple languages.
>>
File: 1669102374135850.gif (1 KB, 235x150)
1 KB
1 KB GIF
>>174141852
> Facile
Le miel est fait par abeilles avec nectare.
Le miel est doux et il peux être utilisé au lieu de(?) sucre.
Le miel goûtant différemment basé de quel fleurs sont utilisés (pour son production).

> Intermediate
Agronomie* d'abeilles on savait «apiculture»*.
Majorité des micro-organismes ne peux pas reproduire* en miel, si le miel couverts ne gâter* pas.
L'utilisation et le production du miel a une historie très long et divers, commencant en les âges préhistoriques.

> Difficile
Le première records de l'apiculture sont originé d'Égypte Ancien, où miel on était utilisé pour doussant les gâteaux, biscuits et l'autres repas.
En la religion du Grec Ancien, le repas du Zeus et les douze Dieux d'Olympos était miel dans la forme de nectare et ambrosius.

IL VA QUE JE FAIS LUI.
>>
File: 1590234810800.gif (852 KB, 320x240)
852 KB
852 KB GIF
>>174161702
Thank you turkeybro. Some of these errors seem to obvious now in retrospect lol. Your posts are always enlightening.
>>
File: 2022-10-20_11-50.png (535 KB, 767x684)
535 KB
535 KB PNG
I love pongos. Should I learn Indonesian? Where's the American anon that is learning Indonesian
>>
>>174141852
Brazilian Portuguese
> Easy
Honey is made by honeybees from nectar.
Jede ce cero escola pao.

Honey is sweet and can be used instead of sugar.
Pa-ta selo escola sao vaoa sao bada mumumu gao.

Honey tastes different depending on which flowers are used.
Babo vocero saoa gainho vao.

> Medium
The husbandry of bees is known as beekeeping.
Goobra joah bao supre ce sao jede selo vocero gao.

Most microorganisms cannot grow in honey, so sealed honey does not spoil.
Jede sopre sao, pa-ta ta ta gao.. Jede sao sopre ce ce saoah bao vocero da gao.

Honey use and production has a long and varied history, with its beginnings in prehistoric times.
Supre ce sopre cero voce ce sopra sopre sao... Pa-ta pao bao gainho dao pa-ta joah bada pao vao vaoa taw!

> Hard
The first written records of beekeeping are from ancient Egypt, where honey was used to sweeten cakes, biscuits, and other foods.
Goobra gainho bao. supra joa gao vao dao, jede saoa paoah badaoa pao, jede selo sao vao.

In ancient Greek religion, the food of Zeus and the twelve Gods of Olympus was honey in the form of nectar and ambrosia.
Su ce gadao mumumu pa, padaoa vada gu saoba-tada bao gao Supro. se va jo sesa gupaoahoba co Jere so.

The oldest known honey remains were found in Georgia during the construction of the Baku–Tbilisi–Ceyhan pipeline: archaeologists found honey remains on the inner surface of clay vessels unearthed in an ancient tomb, dating back between 4,700 and 5,500 years.
preroao. joceda-taopreloa-taho Supraobao taopropa Pa-ta-tada gaoproa tao..... gaw! Pao jobabaopresoa Pao. ese voao bao Je gainho soa prabaw! daw! gao Ba jo. dao. 4,700 sao bao Su 5,500 ba bao sao pro Supa ga gaola gumupa-tao so
>>
>>174152077

LE DEUXIÈME CHALLENGE

>FACILE
Maman a brûlé* la tarte-cerise.
J'aime la sauce cranberrie.
Donner moi la gravy, s'il te plaît.
Pour Noël nous avons un peu de temps.(tried to convey the same meaning, rather than to translate 1:1)
Jambon ou dindon?

>INTERMEDIATE
Cette (thanksgiving) nous avons le Foot de regarder.
Cette année je va essayer faire purée de pommes de terres (à partir de zéro)*.
En ma famille, il est un tradition que nous regardez la parade de la Macy chaque année tout le monde.
Après la dîner, nous allons acheter un arbre de Noël et la décorer.
En peu de temps, les ondes* va être inondé par les chants Noëls.

i used translator for words with *
>>174162118
>>
File: 1668952075445793.png (22 KB, 696x608)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>174162339
np, you might want to brush off of your accusative cases, since that's an integral part.
other than that, the other errors are forgivable
>>
File: screenshot0001.png (1.47 MB, 1600x900)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
An Australian's post a few threads back inspired me to play the only game about language and communication that I'm aware of, The Expression: Amrilato. A VN which supposedly teaches Esperanto. Now that I've played through 6 hours of it, I can say I don't recommend it at all.

It mostly deals with the main character being insecure about her looks, and deciding to become a lesbian. English makes up 99% of the game, and even when Esperanto comes up, it's mostly wasting time learning numbers, kitchen supplies, random food items, plants, and tourist phrases.

I'm 6 hours in, and they continue to breeze over the accusative case like it doesn't exist. They actively avoid talking about it. It makes me wonder who their target audience was.

You're far better off picking up an actual book and reading while looking up words in Wiktionary. You'll get a better experience, and learn words much faster.

If the Australian is reading this, please use this game as an example of what not to do.
>>
>>174161319
Thanks mane. What's the difference between пoтoм and зaтeм?
>>
>>174157702
For Romanian words I just say them outloud in a thick Arabic accent and think of how it could change over the course of hundreds of years. I don't really have a specific formula for it. I should probably come up with one but it's just for fun.
>>
do you read poems/high literature in your TL anons?
>>
>>174164496
Yes. I quite enjoy poetry. I didn't think I would before I started, but now, I'm quite fond of it.
>>
>>174163259
Mi ne estas la auxstraliano kiu reklamis cxi tiun ludon pro lerni Esperanton, tamen, mi eta sxatis la ludon kiel Esperantisto. Laux mi, la ludo estas nur simple amuzeta legajxo dum kelkaj horoj, kaj nenio plu.
>>
>>174163319
no diff
>>
>>174164496
Not really. The only real literature I read in my TL are fiction novels lol. I sometimes look up lyrics from songs in my TL which is kinda like poetry.
>>
Ich kann den unterschied zwischen „eine“ und „einer“ nicht hören
>>
>>174141852
Honig wird von Honigbienen aus Nektar hergestellt
Honig ist süß und wird oft anstatt Zucker benutzt
Honig schmeckt anders abhängig von die eingesetzenden Blumen

Die Haltung von Honigbienen nennt man Imkerei
Die meisten Mikroorganismen sind nicht imstande in Honig zu wachsen, deshalb verderbt versiegelter Honig nicht
Die Geschichte von den Gebrauch und Herstellung Honigs ist lang und vielfältig, mit Ursprung in den prähistorichen Zeiten

Die frühesten geschriebenen Quellen über Imkerei stammen von dem Altägypten, wo man Honig benutzte um Kuchen, Plätzchen und andere Speisen zu süßen
In der altgreichischen Religion, die Ernährung von Zeus und den anderen zwölf olympischen Göttern war Honig in Form Nektars und Ambrosia
Die ältesten bekannten Hinterlässenschaften Honigs wurden in Georgien zur Zeit des Aufbaus von der Baku–Tbilisi–Ceyhan-Rohrleitung gefunden: die Archäologen entdeckten Honigshinterlässenschaften auf der Innenseite von ausgegrabenen Tonvasen, die zwischen den Jahren 4700 und 5500 her zurückgehen
>>
>>174141852
Meд cдeлaн пчeлaми из нeкapa
Meд - cлaдкий, и мoжeт иcпoльзoвaтьcя вмecтo caхapa
Bкyc мeдa oтличaeтcя oт тoгo, кaкиe цвeты иcпoльзyютcя

Зaмeдлeниe пчeл нaзывaeтcя пчeлoвoдcтвo
Бoльшинcтвo микpoopгaнизмoв нe мoжeт pacти в мeдe, тaк чтo зaпeчaтaнный мeд нe пopтитcя
Иcпoльзoвaниe мeдa и пpoизвoдcтвo имeют длиннyю и paзнooбpaзнyю иcтopию, c ee нaчaлoм в дoиcтopичecкиe вpeмeнa
>>
>>174166865
>нeкapa
нeктapa
>>
>>174166865
>Зaмeдлeниe
Зaмлeдeлиe kek
>>
japanese for anime media consumption, or chinese for business and getting objectified by chinese women for being a blonde haired blue eyed fit white guy.
>>
>>174167589
japanese is useless in real life
a friend of mine made me watch some cartoons, 15-25 year range is affected with japanophilia
they speak too roughly and childlike, is japanese ("culture") that strong to begin with?
i am not baiting, i am curious genuinely
>>
>>174162339
Ataturk is the only reason I would ever want to learn Turkish
>>
>The Nazis viewed Kemalist Turkey as a postgenocidal paradise worthy of emulation. Nazis often stated that Nazism and Kemalism were very similar. In 1933, Nazis openly admired Kemalist Turkey. Hitler described Mustafa Kemal as the star in the darkness.
>>
>>174167740
The trade off, is that although japanese is useless in every day life, they have so much good media to consume.
Chinese inversely, doesnt have as much media to consume, but it is a very good language for business. As I want to be an entrepreneur, it would be very useful. Also, it has the added bonus of hot girls.
>>
>>174168071
>>The Nazis viewed Kemalist Turkey as a postgenocidal paradise worthy of emulation.
Who the fuck puts drivel like this together?
>>
>>174166339
Denk über einen Australier den Wort „marker“ sagen. „Einer“ klingt, wie die „ar“, und „eine“ klingt wie die „er“
>>
>>174162391
Please learn Indonesian.
>>
>>174150628
Duolingo taught me the German word 'mehrfamilienhaus'
>>
>>174167884
Turks genuinely have some really fun music
I learn Turkish for she
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icZ-OlVSvb4
>>
>>174168437
One of the first English words that got stuck in my mind for ever is "pedestrian precinct". I somehow like that word/term.
>>
>>174168157
it has merit.
Kemalist turkey was an authoritarian, an unsung apartheid country, it's understandable why would nazis like Atatürk
>>
>>174168632
I sometimes wonder if foreigners think English sounds cool like English speakers think some foreign languages sound really cool(usually Japanese, Spanish, German, Russian)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFHRNGYfuo
>>
>>174168764
I remember seeing MattVsJapan saying that Japanese people said that he sounded cool when speaking English and he sounded cute when speaking Japanese. Matt has a standard American accent
>>
>>174165038
>reklamis cxi tiun ludon pro lerni Esperanton
He didn't advertise it. I found it and decided to try it out.
>kelkaj horoj
There's a 20+ hour playthrough on YouTube.
>>
>>174168880
I tried speaking some Hindi with this Indian girl I was seeing at the time and she said my pronunciation made me sound like a baby
>>
How hard is arabic? I want that to be my next language after spanish just because it looks nice
>>
>>174168764
Not English but Latin or Greek
>ΑΥΤΌ ΤΟ ΚΕΊΜΕΝΟ ΔΙΑΒΆΖΕΤΑΙ ΜΕ ΑΡΡΕΝΩΠΌ ΤΡΌΠΟ
AGTÓ TO KEÍMENO DIABÁZETAI ME APPENOPÓ TRÓPO
>>
>>174168990
According to the US embassy service ranking, it's one of the hardest languages for a native English speaker to learn. However, everything is easier if you have a genuine passion for it. Arabic is definitely a beautiful, underrated language
https://youtu.be/mGMXNAFU5nk
>>
>>174169138
Meant for >>174169054
>>
>>174168571
Agreed. Although I mostly listen to older stuff. Barış Manço, Erkin Koray, Özdemir Erdoğan being my top favourites.
https://youtu.be/3eUowU7-jGA
>>
>>174165038
What are the best places to talk to people in Esperanto? Most forums I've checked are dead. I'd assume that most conversations have moved to Discord servers.
>>
If I learn Ancient Greek, Koine for example, will I be able to understand modern "Greek" or those can be considered two seperate languages and I won't understand a single word. Furthermore, should I learn modern Greek instead and then learn ancient Greek? I don't really care about reading Ancient works, but honestly it is a nice bonus, I want to learn Greek for root words.
>>
>>174168764
I'm not sure if I would say I think English sounds cool, but you have a lot of words that sound beautiful or are just nice to say aloud. Words I personally like just of the top of my head are the aforementioned pedestrian precinct, engine, marvellous and anxiety. But many languages have their beautiful words. Despite my dislike for French, I love how the word magnifique sounds.
>>
>>174169327
There's no point in learning Koine Greek unless you're planning on becoming a biblical scholar
>>
>>174169327
from what i have gathered by a month old studying of ancient greek, it's more meticulous than the normal one

most "roots" you seek (that are used in sciences) are in ancient greek though
>>
>>174168764
I really like the way English sounds, it has a good ratio of consonants to vowels and the intonation/rhythm of the language sounds nice
>>
>>174168880
Matt actually lives a few rooms down from me, we're both foreign exchange students rn
>>
>>174169340
I really like the German words Zusammen, Geradeaus, Lielblings, Dunkelheit. Just fun to say
>>
>>174169435
Hes actually in Japan right now? I thought he lived in the US.
>>
>>174169327
>If I learn Ancient Greek, Koine for example, will I be able to understand modern "Greek"
somewhat, lots of cognates and even grammatically they didn't diverge that much compared to e.g Italian and Latin, I guess also because modern Greek is somewhat artificially "learned"
but they are kinda different languages overall
lexicon is the largest and most challenging part of ancient Greek(or, at the end of the day, any language really), so I mean either you want to learn enough basic grammar to be able to confidently look up the etymology on dictionaries, or you may as well learn the language as a whole, and the only way to do it is reading a lot
>>
English as a pure Romance language or pure Germanic language?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzPW9yw9vRQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9VYsl9QiCY
>>
File: 1orang.jpg (141 KB, 1024x684)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>174168359
Will I get to be with cute pongos?
>>
>>174169818
Yes (although for now it'd be easiest if you're willing to volunteer and are vaxxed, with knowing indonesian coming third in priority).
>>
>>174169372
>>174169412
>>174169780
Well, Modern Greek would be the best for me then, maybe I'm going to learn Koine someday in the future. Italian is right, it would be a better choice to learn it as a whole.
>>
>>174169864
But how do you know? you're not Indonesian...
>>
>>174169526
When I was in England, young boys always made fun of the word "gegenüber" pronouncing it "gaygenüber" before laughing their asses off. Good times.
>>
File: FiTDDdSXgAQrWPl.jpg (187 KB, 1122x834)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
I ran out of new cards in a 1k deck and now I need to make my own. It's over. Does anyone know a program that can suck the sound out of a video and put it into an anki card?
>>
>>174170049
sharex
>>
>>174170049
Tarraingim péineasí
>>
>>174169999
checked dan jangan terlalu yakin ya bang
>>
>>174170132
Thank you very much. It is perfect and the refold nigga uses it.
>>174170140
That is bad Irish but good attempt. Generally people just use the English term for things like that, and native speakers mock people who make Irish terms for everything. They call them "Gaelgeoirs" (Irish speakers) in a derisive way.
>>
>>174170390
>native speakers mock people who make Irish terms for everything
Cringe. This is what people should be doing
>>
File: bucket_pongo.jpg (84 KB, 640x425)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>174170186
whatchu doing in polan fren
>>
File: hormble.png (591 KB, 669x446)
591 KB
591 KB PNG
>>174170460
studying desu
inshallah back to south east asia soon
>>
File: 1644222686679.png (2.03 MB, 1323x1297)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB PNG
>>174170556
Ok that's cool anon

also sorry to be spamming pongos on /lang/, ill be going now, ill be back once I continue my Russian studies (I was the argie in Norway studying Russian)
>>
>>174170608
pongos always welcome :D hope you get back to russkie soon
>>
Ich mag den Deutschen Wortstellung.
>>
>>174170556
Does one suffer more in south east asia or poland?
>>
>>174170970
depends where. Wrocław? A comfy village in Masuria? no. Warsaw? Sosnowiec? yes.
Sovlful lake Toba? The entirety of Brunei? no. Jakarta? The entirety of the Philippines? yes.
>>
>>174171156
What's wrong with the Philippines?
>>
File: 1605278620882.jpg (32 KB, 503x503)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>174171246
>>
>>174166864
>Honig ist süß und wird oft anstatt Zucker benutzt
Not what the original says.

>Honig schmeckt anders abhängig von die eingesetzenden Blumen
*... anders je nach dem welche Blumen ge-/benutzt wurden.
Oh and it would be 'von den eingesetzten' in your example.

>Die meisten Mikroorganismen sind nicht imstande in Honig zu wachsen, deshalb verderbt versiegelter Honig nicht
*verdirbt

>Die Geschichte von den Gebrauch und Herstellung Honigs ist lang und vielfältig, mit Ursprung in den prähistorichen Zeiten
*vom (von dem) Gebrauch und der *mit ihrem Ursprung in prä...

>Die frühesten geschriebenen Quellen über Imkerei stammen von dem Altägypten, wo man Honig benutzte um Kuchen, Plätzchen und andere Speisen zu süßen
*frühesten schriftlichen Quellen *stammen aus dem antiken Ägypten

>In der altgreichischen Religion, die Ernährung von Zeus und den anderen zwölf olympischen Göttern war Honig in Form Nektars und Ambrosia
*altgriechischen *war die Nahrung *in Form von Nektar

>Die ältesten bekannten Hinterlässenschaften Honigs wurden in Georgien zur Zeit des Aufbaus von der Baku–Tbilisi–Ceyhan-Rohrleitung gefunden: die Archäologen entdeckten Honigshinterlässenschaften auf der Innenseite von ausgegrabenen Tonvasen, die zwischen den Jahren 4700 und 5500 her zurückgehen
*Honigüberreste *des Baus der ...-Pipeline *
You're missing the "ancient tomb" bit. Oh and it would be 'Hinterlassenschaften' (which is more like stuff left behind by dead relatives or something), no 'ä'.

>>174169526
Curious choices. Also, *Lieblings.
>>
>>174171156
What are the best places in Indonesia?
>>
Learning ASL makes me incredibly uncomfortable. It is very weird to watch a lesson and have no audio.
>>
>>174172348
danke
>*vom (von dem) Gebrauch und der
I always get confused maybe because of other languages, I used den because of the plural but I should instead always use the singular articles of the listed words individually?
>>
Ye im thinking we’re back
>>
>>174173125
Uh ... what? Unless I'm missing something it's 'vom' because 'Gebrauch' ist masculine.
>von dem Gebrauch (m)
>von der Herstellung (f)
>von dem Jahr (n)
>von den Archäologen (pl)

>>174170874
*die
>>
>>174173482
yeah but I used the plural dative article because von meets two nouns, Gebrauch and Herstellung, so I used it for both, idk why right now
>>
>>174173125
>>174173683
When listing nouns, the articles belong to each noun individually.
"Ich kämpfe für das Volk, den Frieden und die Ehre."

But if the nouns happen to have the same article, you can omit all but the first article.
"Ich kämpfe für die Freiheit, Gleichheit und Brüderlichkeit.
>>
>>174173125
Thinking about it some more, I don't know if there's any rule like you're suggesting. For example it's
>Er hat von Tuten und Blasen keine Ahnung.
rather than
>Er hat vom Tuten und Blasen keine Ahnung.
However, grammatically the latter still works. But maybe that's because it's an idiom. Hm ...
>Er verabschiedete sich von Vater und Mutter.
>Er verabschiedete sich vom Vater und der Mutter.
Hmmmmm ... both work, actually, although the second one sounds a bit unusual. Might just be context-dependent though.

Maybe Aussienon has something to say.
>>
>>174173711
See >>174173713. I'm not sure that's all there is to it. Omitting the article irrespective of matching gender is frequently done.
>Er ließ sich weder von Wind noch Wetter abhalten.
But including them wouldn't really sound wrong either.
>>
>>174173762
In your examples you're omitting both articles though, which is different. I was talking about the first article covering every noun. You wouldn't say "Er verabschiedete sich vom Vater und Mutter" for example.
>>
>>174174190
Hm, true, although you can't necessarily tell with 'von' (since it can be short for 'von den' like 'vom' is for 'von dem').
>>
>>174160500
>Aren't most Arab dialects mutually incomprehensible?
No, we all can understand each other, except for North Africans who can understand everyone but no one can understand them
>>
>>174169572
I think he’s joking. Matt recently moved to Japan to live with his ldg
>>
Help, what is a correct form to use, "no one is living in that village" or "no one lives in that village"?
Both seem correct at first but I'm lost, I think "lives" should be used.
>>
>>174175388
I don’t know if other Englishers would disagree but lives sounds more permanent, is living sounds more temporary.
For example “No one lives in that house” sounds like it’s an abandoned house, whereas “No one’s living in that house” maybe sounds like it’s newly made and just hasn’t been sold yet
>>
>>174168072
Anime and manga are genuinely not that good, I promise that once you’re past 25 you won’t like them anymore. Adults in Japan categorically do not watch that shit, except when a specific series randomly becomes popular for a couple of months. I personally like Japanese comedy but it’s not for everybody, and you won’t know whether you like it until you’re really good at Japanese. (Lots of foreigners decide Japanese comedy isn’t funny when in fact they just don’t understand a word of it.)

The economy is tanking right now but if it recovers there’s a lot of money to be made there, idk what people mean when they say Chinese is better for business.
>>
>>174175617
I concur.

Actually I have a question for English speakers. Are the following sentences acceptable to you?

“He went to Australia, whose white beaches reminded him of Miami.”
“I saw a tree whose curling branches touched the sky.”
“They established a company whose sole purpose was to hold shares in an offshore corporation.”
>>
what do I do to the verb sonrier in spanish to make it so 'I smile'. Do I drop the 'e' at the end of the stem as well as the 'ir'?
My grammar book just writes sonreir(se), but doesn't inform me what the '(se)' signifies
Sinro?
suenro?
>>
>>174176042
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/sonre%C3%ADr
>>
I am in the process of learning Spanish, and I was hoping to learn by interacting on an image board like this one. Do any of you know of any spanish image boards that are worthwhile? I guess hispachan was decent, but it has succumb to globohomo.
>>
>>174176037
perfect
>>
>>174176091
>https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/sonre%C3%ADr
oh those tables are great. I see, the stem 'e' changes to 'i' then the ir can be dropped
>>
>>174176125
I heard they're all shit.
>>
>>174176037
yes, why?
>>
>>174176037
no veo problema
>>
Can any speakers of Romance languages understand this song's lyrics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_QybQ8M6yI

It's in Gascon Occitan, I believe.
>>
>>174176310
I edit technical writing and some of my writers evidently think that “whose” can only have a human subject, so they write “a company, the sole purpose of which was” etc etc.

Starting to doubt my sanity so I want to check.
>>
>>174176253
that's what it seems like, thanks!
>>
>>174177224
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whose

tell your writers to look at a dictionary sometime
>>
>>174141540
Any tips for learning Italian, recommended resources? The wiki didn't have much. The resources I have are Language Transfer (but that's just intro), Duolingo and Assimil. Anything good for reading because I'd like to read more than speak a language.
>>
File: dgdfgdf.png (15 KB, 547x320)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>174177224
>and some of my writers evidently think that “whose” can only have a human subject
l m a o
>>
>>174177669
i use an extension called "mouse tool tip translator" you can read in italian and translate the word & lines as needed.
>>
>KNOW that learning japanese and chinese at the same time is a bad
>want to do it anyway because J really want to know both languages.
>>
What is the difference between these two sounds?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_front_unrounded_vowel
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-close_near-front_unrounded_vowel
About the first one I can find absolutely nothing. Are "well" and "will" a homophones then?
https://voca.ro/116zdg3BNtMR - well/will pair. Didn't I pronounce "will" here as "wheel"?
>>
>>174178074
Thank you.
>>
>>174178643
>Are "well" and "will" a homophones then?
absolutely not lmao
>>
>>174166865
> Meд cдeлaн пчeлaми из нeкapa
Mёд дeлaeтcя пчeлaми из нeктapa.
> Bкyc мeдa oтличaeтcя oт тoгo, кaкиe цвeты иcпoльзyютcя
Bкyc мeдa oтличaeтcя в зaвиcимocти oт тoгo, кaкиe цвeты иcпoльзyютcя
> Зaмeдлeниe пчeл нaзывaeтcя пчeлoвoдcтвo
Paзвeдeниe пчeл нaзывaeтcя пчeлoвoдcтвoм.
WTF is "зaмлeдeлиe"? The closest thing is "зeмлeдeлиe" which means agriculture.
> Иcпoльзoвaниe мeдa и пpoизвoдcтвo имeют длиннyю и paзнooбpaзнyю иcтopию, c ee нaчaлoм в дoиcтopичecкиe вpeмeнa
Иcпoльзoвaниe и пpoизвoдcтвo мeдa имeют дoлгyю и paзнooбpaзнyю иcтopию, бepyщyю cвoe нaчaлo в дoиcтopичecкиe вpeмeнa.
>>
>>174178643
[ェ] is the И in "итaк".
[e̞] or [ɛ̝] is the E in "бeлый".
>>
>>174169572
Yeah he is, him and I live a few doors apart. He told me he took down his door nametag so people don't know his last name or anything. I've no reason to lie for internet clout, especially on 4chan. Matt went back to school so that's why he's a foreign exchange student despite being in his late 20s (for note, I'm 20).

>>174174664
I'm not joking.
>>
>>174179290
Tell him to give a shout-out to /lang/ in his next video.
>>
>>174179386
I'll see what I can do

I leave Japan in a month, so for the past three and a half months we've been neighbours and have talked whenever we've bumped into each other since we're both language nerds
>>
>>174179216
Thanks. But why does [e̞] in the example sounds so different from our sound?
>>174179054
On the articles it sounds like.
>>
>>174178643
>Are "well" and "will" a homophones then?
New Zealand English is famous for “deck” sounding like “dick” (and “dick” sounding like “duck”) to outsiders. They are not the same though, the first vowel you linked is our “deck” and the second is the RP “dick”.

So, these two vowels are strictly different but can be confusing between varieties that only have one or the other.
>>
>>174179597
>On the articles it sounds like.
w-what?
you mean they sound the same?
cuz they really don't
>>
>>174179597
It's pretty much the same. You're just not used to hearing it outside its natural environment in Russian (namely, before a soft consonant).
https://forvo.com/word/%D0%B1%D0%B5%D0%BB%D1%8B%D0%B9/#ru
>>
>>174179727
after*
God I'm retarded.
>>
>>174179727
>>174179689
>>174179676
Is it a right sound?
https://voca.ro/16OmjwgpT2w4
>>
>>174179871
>https://voca.ro/16OmjwgpT2w4
its over
>>
>>174180155
whats wrong
>>
>>174180190
sounds like /ʍeːl/
>>
>>174180290
https://voca.ro/128KoUHocjSs
>>
Is it possible to study too much?
Its always explained to me that the more hours in a day that you study, the more you learn and the quicker you understand the language. Of course this sounds plausible, but is it possible to overload too much information?
>>
Which language?
>>
I wonder where the Pole asking about the MEGA went.
>>
>>174179871
Whale
>>174180433
Rail
Don't beat yourself up though. Babies say the wrong sound hundreds of times before they say the right one. Focus on hearing the difference in normal speech. This helped me with Thai vowels, because the IPA is never precise enough for me.
>>
>>174180676
he traveled back in time to meet the great naram-sin, and he was granted a domicile in the eternal city of ur.
>>
>>174180706
>Whale
>Rail
So it's still [e̠]. Thanks.
>in normal speech
Then I shall find hundred hours of British nobles' speech.
>>
>>174180290

By the way, what about this sound? Is it based and posh?
>>
>>174152077
Kiswahili
>RAHISI
Mama alichoma cherry pie.
Napenda mchuzi ya cranberry.
Nipe gravy tafadhali.
Krismasi ni karibu sana.
Ham au turkey?
>KATI
Thanksgiving hii tuna football na soka kutazama.
Mwaka huu nitajaribu kufanya mashed potatoes kutoka mwanzo.
Katika familia wangu kuna tamaduni moja tunatazama macy's parade pamoja kila mwaka.
Baada ya chakula cha jioni, tutaenda kununua mti wetu wa krismasi na tukiunakishi.
Karibuni airwaves zitakuwa zimefunikwa na wimbo wa krismasi.
>>
Russanon can you record yourself saying
>beet bit bet bat Bart bought bot but boot book Burt boat bite bait beauty

I left out some diphthongs but it’ll do
>>
>>174152077
Mãe queimou a torta de cereja.
Eu gosto de molho de cranberry.
Passa-me o gravy, por favor.
Natal é logo na esquina.
Presunto ou peru?
Este thanksgiving nós temos futebol americano e futebol para ver.
Este ano, vou tentar fazer purê de batatas do nada.
Na minha senpaiília é tradição a ver a parada de macy juntos cada ano.
Depois jantar, vamos ir comprar nossa árvore de natal e então decorá-la.
Em breve, as ondas sonaras serão inundado com canções de natal.
>>
>>174181184
https://voca.ro/1burMl1Yzuzq
>>
>>174181160
Are you planning on going to a Swahili speaking country?
>>
>>174181979
maybe one day.
>>
>>174181626
This is my best RP for comparison
https://voca.ro/18JTZpy7HSQ3

Note that the second syllable of beauty is not /i:/ but /e:/, I think this is unique to RP
>>
>>174182548
>vocaroo
I'm hearing your vowels are significantly deeper in all cases, did your tongue place close to or behind alveoli, or was close to teeth? Also, I think we both had a mistake in "bought": RP's /ɔː/ isn't just a long /ɔ/, that's something between our /ё/ and /y/. But I pronounced it like just /ё/ and you did it like just /ɔ/. Here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-mid_back_rounded_vowel
>/e:/
That had to be a short /e/. Apparently I must pay attention to the length.
>this is unique to RP
>/i/ (as in HAPPY) ranges from close front [i] to close-mid retracted front [e̠];
I heard it shall be in the Scottish accent too, but RP anyway makes the "-y" significantly shorter and deeper.
>>
>>174183169
With the tongue near alveoli:
https://voca.ro/1hhXOgtHBvjB
>>
>>174154055
es hecha
>>
>>174183282
With the tongue behind alveoli:
https://voca.ro/16mBqgqNotJe
>>
>>174175908
>Anime and manga are genuinely not that good
Way to demonstrate your shit taste.
>>
>>174179290
>I've no reason to lie for internet clout, especially on 4chan.
Sneak a pic then.

>>174179386
Seconded.
>>
>>174183282
>>174183508
All vowels are made with the tongue body. Why would tongue tip position make a difference?
The term "alveolar" itself is meaningless when we're talking about vowels.
>>
File: have one.jpg (24 KB, 228x237)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>174181184
https://voca.ro/14SqMIxdw5nX
>>
>>174163259
It's probably just there for aesthetic purposes, Esperanto gets used a lot in media when they want a sci-fi sounding language or generally as something that sounds unusual and alien. Ultimately it's a yuri VN, I doubt they ever intended it to be a serious language learning tool, at most they might've just wanted to give people some initial interest since most people don't even know that the language exists
>>
>>174183508
>>174183282
Fixed: https://voca.ro/1268EFodUoPU
>>174183640
>why would
Because sounds are changed. Didn't you hear?
>>174183685
Why did you as an ESL prefer to learn GenAm?
>>
>>174183798
It wasn't a matter of preference, just a result of inpoooting primarily with Americlap media. In school we were actually taught British-English, both in terms of spelling and pronunciation (although in the higher grades you got to choose, as long as you were consistent in tests and shit and didn't switch between the two).
>>
>>174183936
>In school
By the way, how many of you still chose RP? There is a popular take that in Britain only 5% of people speak it but what about continental Europe?
>>
>>174170444
I think it's cringe too. Although usually the terms people make are shit, and direct translations.
>>
>>174184019
Don't even know what that is.
>>
>>174184210
British English.
>>
>>174184242
Hm. If you're talking about Germans in general, then most people's pronunciation is probably bad enough that you can't even tell. For the others ... it's probably more AE for the same reason mentioned earlier. TV shows, vidya and stuff (not to mention YouTube) are dominated by it after all.
>>
>>174184307
>probably more AE
Thanks. But how much does this be, like 70:30 or 95:5?
>>
I'm really interested in Eastern Orthodox Christianity. Should I learn Greek or Russian?
>>
>>174184509
Russian, I think. There are much more members and theologists, and there were no Turks.
>>
File: cover2.jpg (577 KB, 1600x900)
577 KB
577 KB JPG
>>174141540
Should I go all in on Japanese?
On the one hand it is a cool language to learn because there's massive amounts of media and books to consume.
On the other, it is not very useful and takes a really long time to get good at.
I've been dabbling in it every day for 9 months so I am at a point where I either take it seriously or abandon it.
I've been primarly learning French but I seem to be at a stalemate with it at this moment.
Thoughts?
>>
>>174184594
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdCgm50AqQ

I love the Russian version of Agni Parthene.
>>
>>174184734
Some of my Eastern Catholic friends love this hymn too, very nice choice anon

The Schism is an unfortunate result of politics and many other factors being blown out of proportion at the time, sadly
>>
>>174185470
It's very sad. I hope someday they can re-unite, and that protestants will come back as well. I was raised in a non-religious lukewarm non-denominational western Christian family. When I see videos of EO liturgy, hear the chants, and say the Jesus prayer, it fills my heart. Sometimes it brings a tear of joy, not even kidding. I wish for all people to experience this.
>>
File: Burger Apu.png (387 KB, 630x472)
387 KB
387 KB PNG
>>174184437
Phew, no idea. Above 60:40 at least, I'd say. But beyond that, who knows. It might also be different depending on whether you are talking about spelling or pronunciation. Could be that there's more people writing "colour" than actually speaking British-English.

>>174184734
>>174185470
Americlaps singing orthodox hymns in English > R*ssians doing the same in R*ssian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMGX6183Acs
>>
>>174185517
I converted to Catholicism officially back in April, but I do not declare myself strictly Roman Catholic nor Eastern Catholic as both have been incredibly beneficial to my spiritual growth, not to downplay the Eastern Orthodox as well. I do lean more to the East than the West but I love both and pray for their growth and flourishment, as well as an end to the schism between Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

Anyway language-wise liturgical languages are very interesting, be it Latin, Syriac, Koine Greek, Church Slavonic, or Biblical Hebrew. Intersects three interests for me: my faith, history, and languages.
>>
le bump
>>
Como sienten respecto a el mundial en Qatar?
>>
>>174184734
https://youtu.be/Bqhen0OfB3E
>>
>>174189150
>women singing orthodox chants
Ummm ...
>>
bvmp
>>
File: 1654276952663.jpg (1.98 MB, 3833x2160)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
Good lord, pick me whatever language to learn that are not basque, irish, chuvash or anything like that. Ive explored the culture of almost every corner virtually.
>>
>>174191960
hindi
>>
>>174191960
>>174192191
चिकन टिक्का माशा अल्लाह
>>
>>174179101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKDhRcnwaC4
>>
>>174192191
Thanks Ill consider in 2 weeks.
>>
File: image_proxy.png (69 KB, 535x361)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
Norf dialects are pure SOVL
>>
The last digit of my post will determine how many hours I am going to input today.
If it is a 0 I will do 10.
>>
>>174193088
Based digits.
>>
>>174193131
Sussy digits.
>>
>Start learning foreign languages to flex and kill time...
>Have nothing to small talk about
>Tell people that I learn languages as a hobby
>LOL autist you only need to speak English as a second language. Who the fuck learns multiple languages?
>Nobody is impressed
>I get triggered
what do ):
>>
>>174193552
>LOL autist you only need to speak English as a second language. Who the fuck learns multiple languages?
based, fuck languages
>>
Germany for me in a week boyos. No drinking this weekend. Just German study
>>
>>174185721
>Intersects three interests for me: my faith, history, and languages.

I feel the same way.

>>174189150
Are there many Orthodox in the Arab world? Arabic seems like a great language for chants and hymns.
>>
>>174193757
Been thingken about going to Munich myself next year, is the meme true that Germans prefer to talk to tourists in English? Been studying a little but only very basic shit like ordering in restaurants etc
>>
>>174193968
I was there in Summer after studying for about 5 months. I'd always try to speak in German and they'd always respond back in German as well. They'd only switch if I asked. In Munich, I was on my own and the Hostel was a bit out of the city centre. I went to a few little pubs outside the centre that was full of older people who didn't have the best English and they really appreciated me trying and would only switch to English if I didn't understand. Beer definitely helps with German.
My dad went a few weeks ago and he told me they always switched to English however, he's probably not studied German since before the wall came down lol.
I think you have to just sound confident and ask in formal ways/ways that use a lot of words. For Example don't just say "Einen Kaffee bitte" say something like "Ich hätte gerne einen Kaffee zum Mitnehmen" They'll realise that you are serious about German and haven't just spent a week learning it on duolingo.
If you have a year of Study under your belt I think you'll be fine. Just stick with it and maybe try avoiding touristy areas. If you're going to Munich maybe try learning a few basic bayerisch phrases. They'll like that.
>>
>>174194372
Unless you count my very distant memories of learning German at school my study at the moment pretty much just involves using memelingo once in a blue moon lol, but I'll maybe pick up some of those workbooks on the wiki or something. But I'll be satisfied even with some basic communication desu, just want to put in some more effort than the average bong tourist who goes to Spain every year yet can't speak a single word of the language
>>
>>
>>174193968
>is the meme true that Germans prefer to talk to tourists in English?
If they see you struggling with German they might switch to English to try to help you, but in my experience most Germans are uncomfortable with speaking English in general. If you ask them to speak German because you want to practice they would happily do it.
>>
>>174193552
>>LOL autist you only need to speak English as a second language. Who the fuck learns multiple languages?
Nobody said that though
>>174193923
I believe they are the majority of Christians in Jordan and Palestine. Not sure about other Arab countries but it has to be between them and catholics
>>
I keep hearing that Persian/Farsi is quite easy to learn. Has anyone here tried it? It sounds super smooth.
>>
File: nice hat.png (57 KB, 150x372)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>174152077
Mudah
>Ibu terbakar pai cherinya
>Aku sangat suka saus cranberry
>Lulus kuahnya, tolong.
>Natal sudah dekat
>ham atau klukan

Medium
>Thanksgiving kali ini kami memiliki sepak bola dan sepak bola untuk ditonton.
>Tahun ini aku akan mencoba membuat kentang tumbuk dari awal.
>?
>Setelah makan malam, kami akan pergi membeli pohon Natal dan kemudian menghiasnya.
>?
>>
>>174197469
its got no noun gender n shit pretty sure innit
>>
File: cryingbear.gif (23 KB, 200x256)
23 KB
23 KB GIF
I stopped studying Russian more than a month ago. I was doing so well, studying hours everyday, vocabulary, grammar, got books, etc.. I was making progress fast. & now that's all gone. What do, bros? How do I regain the motivation? I'm so depressed & miserable it's unreal.
>>
>>174197469
I dabbled in it, not harder than, say, Spanish or Italian or Indian
>>
>>174199190
>I'm so depressed & miserable it's unreal.
So are all Russian learners. The only way to regain motivation at this point is to travel
>>
>>174199297
Is it even possible to go to Russia now? I don't know, I want to go when I'm at least advance A2/B1 so I can read the signs on the streets, talk to locals, order at restaurants... I'd be sad if I go now and I miss out on the opportunity to speak Russian, I'd have to use English.
>>
>>174199283
>Indian
>>
>>174199190
Stop caring about motivation, drink coffee and do it anyway
>>
>>174199503
fuck it, Hindi, Telugu, Gujarati, Nepali, they are all the same thing anyway
>>
>>174197237
my mom said that to me
>>
Any good (singleplayer) video games for learning languages that have dubbing?
For example, I plan to use dubbed Half-life 2 to learn the languages that I learn.
>>
>>174200969
Skyrim
>>
>>174200994
THANKS! what else?
>>
>>174193131
>>174193163
Y'all aren't really paying attention: >>174145688
>>
>>174200969
HL2 is such a weird pick, it doesn't really have that much dialog. Your best bet would be some story-centric RPG. The Witcher, Mass Effect, Fallout, whatever speaks to you the most setting-wise.
>>
>>174193968
you'd be better off living in smaller cities/towns
otherwise the temptation/opportunity to switch back to English is too great
t. lived there for some years
>>
>>174200969
Stardew Valley or Animal Crossing if you like those kind of games. They teach you a lot of everyday vocabulary and household items.
>>
>>174152077
Maд бaлджын чъиpи бacыгътa.
Ӕз yapзын cыpхнӕмыг дзyc.
Дзyc мын aвӕp, тaбyaфcи.
Цыппypc къӕcӕpӕй дyapмӕ y.
Beтчинa кӕнӕ гoгызы фыд?

that's the extent of my capabilities
>>
>>174200969
>>174201586
They don't have dubbing though, sorry, I missed that part of the question.
>>
>>174201648
what lang?
>>
File: languages.png (29 KB, 321x728)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>174201667
Ok... Now I have the Half-life franchise, Metro franchise, Fallout 3 NV and Skyrim.
I am learning Spanish right now, but plan to learn:
>Italian.
>Portuguese.
>Russian.
>Norwegian.
>Swedish.
>Polish.
Basically pic rel.
Should I immerse and listen to dubbed games/shows from day 1 or wait until I am B1+?
>>
Any Russian game shows like Jeopardy that I can watch on youtob?
>>
>>174201729
Ossetian, Iron dialect
>>
>>174201865
hello KALLE long time no see
>>
I want to preserve every known language in the world. I'd make a giant list, with a separate category for all extinct ones too. The number would total around 10,000 I think. Then there's finding source material and speakers to accurately archive it to make a learnable dictionary. With team effort, it can be done.
>>
>>174201900
>Iron dialect
Are Ossetians a bunch of edgelords?
>>174201986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKDhRcnwaC4
>>
>>174201804
I think if you know nothing about the language yet, then just playing a game or watching a show in the language wouldn't teach you very much. Think of all the weebs who watch anime all day but know practically nothing about Japanese.
If you take the time and look things up while you're playing/watching, it would definitely be beneficial though, even as a complete beginner. Even better if you write down sentences you encounter that are worth learning and turn them into flashcards (use Anki for this).
As a complete beginner, I would use English subtitles though, otherwise you will lose motivation very quickly if you understand absolutely nothing.
>>
>>174202239
>Think of all the weebs who watch anime all day but know practically nothing about Japanese.
Most of them watch Anime without the intention of learning the language THOUGH. Also it is very different from a language they know so it is harder to recognize patterns for them.

An then isn't one of the reasons Scandis are so proficient in English, them watching English dubs with native language subtitles?
>>
>>174201804
>Should I immerse and listen to dubbed games/shows from day 1 or wait until I am B1+?
Yes. YOU SHOULD START RIGHT NOW!
You should consume content that you can understand, or where understanding most of it is not required to enjoy it.
If you want to jump into difficult content then it is fine, but you may have to look up things a lot in a dictionary.

I have been learning Spanish for 7 months and I can now input with almost everything.
>>
>>174202024
>what is ethnologue
>>
>>
New
>>174205578
>>
>>174193923
Most are either Catholic or Orthodox

Here's a version of Agni Parthene in Arabic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNMGTeI6P0M

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.