[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why do Asians value test scores more than critical thinking?

Their schools don't teach kids how to become mature humans capable of critical thinking. They just force kids to swallow information, and mindlessly memorize entire paragraphs and sentences without actually understanding what they mean, all because their ultimate goal is to pass a test, not make sure kids actually understand anything.

Why do they value test scores so much? Their entire lives are defined by a test score, that's why so many of them kill themselves if they don't get a good grade.
>>
>>155568694
>Why do they value test scores so much?
Look up Confucian imperial exams
>>
That's not exclusive to Asians. Literally everybody in the world has a "fake it until you make it" mentality. That's why a number on a piece of paper is ALWAYS more important to the human race than actual valuable skills. That's why every government in the world is filled with liars and virtue-signalers.
>>
>>155568779
That was like 1 million years ago. Plus, most of them are Buddhist, and the Japs have the Shinto religion, while China has a bunch of other religions. It can't be all attribute to Confucious.
>>
>>155568694
Hard skills > Soft skills
>>
>>155568694
Government which want you to "critical thinking' never ever existed in this world.
>>
how do i get into critical thinking?
>>
>>155568820
I would say most Western societies have recognized that critical thinking, creativity and innovation are more important than rote memorization.
>>
File: 3xx33x.png (338 KB, 605x738)
338 KB
338 KB PNG
>>155568996
Yeah, westoid def thinking in their own way.
>>
>>155568855
Um maybe like 80 years ago
>>
This difference between critical thinking/understanding and "memorize for exams" is literally made up. It's the same thing. All knowledge is memorization of what other people found out. When you do math you are applying what you memorized from the textbook. And this isn't even getting into stuff like history which is again literal memorization.
>>155568950
It's a meaningless meme.
>>
>>155568694
>Why do Asians value test scores more than critical thinking?
because my parents want it lol
i got beat a lot when i was still at school for having bad test results
>>
>>155568694
((((critical thinking))))

>>155568855
okay, you are stupid
>>
>>155568694
>test scores more than critical thinking
They aren't mutally exclusive to each other and I see many Asians who do well in critical thinking.
>>
>>155568694
I think test score value is not exclusive to Asians but I can say this about critical thinking. At least for Koreans, the hierarchy culture is so strong that the action of trying to question someone who is "higher" than you is frowned upon. Btw, "higher" can just mean having lived longer than you by just a year. This kind of brainwash starts from an early age of education so the crucial opportunity for learning critical thinking is totally missed. If you attend a Korean school (or even college) you can find that nobody questions the teacher unlike Western students. Obviously this is a problem being addressed here. Young Koreans are very critical of the current education system and aware how they differ from Western people in terms of critical thinking and debate skills. So it's not like we are blindly trusting the system or anything. It's just how we are brought up from a cultural standpoint that is fucked into our brain and society and we can't fucking get rid of it even we do know it's there.
>>
>>155569522
God you're retarded. Adaptable thinking allows you to recognize patterns from a set of data or similar regardless of the specifics of what it is and is much different than memorizing formulas and then knowing when to regurgitate that information.
>>
>>155568694
some do, pajeets protray themselves as victims of those kind of education system, and the lecturers are supposed to be mindless memorizing machine fools, but ive been lectured by indian lecturers and they actually understand the concept at incredible depth and they develop their own theory. based on chinese published scientific papers on international platform, i can very safely assume lots of chinese do too.
>>
>>155569786
It's much easier to teach kids with a firm foundation of the latter to developed the former than the reverse.
>>
And the asian system of doing the difficult university exam is far superior to the american extracurricular bullshit that rewards wasting your youth doing a million things you don't care about like playing 5 sports and being the band leader and leading the 4 clubs at school and vollunteering and playing the piano instead of actually spending your time studying the field you want to follow.
Around here all i had to worry about was actually studying the fucking science field i wanted to follow and math plus general education.
>>
>>155569775
Your entire post talks about it in a very negative light when such orientation of our education deserves more credit than you think. You are a pathetic self hating idiot who worships everything in west.

Friendly reminder that Japan has one of the most Nobel prizes in the world and their education is based on memorization and not critical thinking.

Another friendly reminder that "European education does not have a competition" is a terrible left wing lie. What are Grande Écoles in France then?
>>
>>155570109

>"European education does not have a competition"
I never said that. In fact I said valuing test score is not exclusive to Asians.

>You are a pathetic self hating idiot who worships everything in west.

Yep tell that to majority of Koreans who are memeing about dogshit Suneung English questions lol.

>Friendly reminder that Japan has one of the most Nobel prizes in the world and their education is based on memorization and not critical thinking.

What does this have to do with the Nobel Prize. I am talking about how we are brought up in terms of cultural affect.
>>
>>155569744
>I see many Asians who do well in critical thinking.
Yes, indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSzsA_JssoM
>>
>>155569775
Does this hierarchy come from Confucianism?
>>
>>155568694
you're prob bad at tests
>>
>>155569643
Only bug thinkers are redpilled
>>
>>155569913
>And the asian system of doing the difficult university exam
It's not a good system because it's REALLY easy to cheese the exams. The other system is about developing well rounded people because ANYONE and literally ANYONE can shut themselves in a room and study 4-6 hours a day. Even if fucking Japan they want kids to have "extracurricular bullshit" because that BS is what keep kids out of trouble.
>>
>>155568694

Because they don't want their kids turning into common core trannies like the Moids and their globohomo masters want, so the globohomo through their control of the media fills their airwaves up with Asian education bad headlines and talking points to condition their cattle livestock viewers and news consumers to repeat
>>
>>155570109
Most Jap Nobel prize winners have extensive research & development experience in US or Europe, which is where 90% of them have made their prize-worth winning contribution.
>>
>>155570751
Op is coping about his low IQ.
>>
>>155569180
I haven't read this article but it's clearly being intentionally misleading for clicks.
Read a few paragraphs later and you'll realize what's going on is probably actually very reasonable.
>>
>>155570628
This. Standardized tests exist because they work. And the good ones are pretty much IQ tests(GMAT, LSAT)
>>
>>155570751
globohomo homo lsot all meaning at this point. If I took your spot and replaced "gobohomo" with lizard or say bees it would make just as more sense.
>>
>>155570897
>Standardized tests exist because they work
They work as benchmarks based on how they are structred.

>And the good ones are pretty much IQ tests
They are explicitly not IQ tests. Especial since you can totally prepare for either tests. You can't for IQ tests
>>
>>155568694
better test scores than twerking and rapping.
>>
>>155570627
I think its a combination of things along with Confucianism. Certainly Asian countries respect "higher" people, but Korea is unique among them in that people are very sensitive to age difference. The language usage changes drastically when a person is just few years older than you. Not sure if any other countries have this.
>>
>>155570751
>critical thinking is globohomo
Retard
>>
critical thinking is bad because if forces you to question the foundations of your society, and that weakens it. a true aryan society would distill the required knowledge at all levels from a high-level government committee
>>
>>155570646
>ANYONE and literally ANYONE can shut themselves in a room and study 4-6 hours a day
Exactly. Good. Hard work and dedication is good. A system that encourages these values is good.
Personally I didn't need to study that much because I am high IQ.
>>155571002
"Critical thinking" to some people seems to mean always challening authority and conventions, look at >>155569775
That is erodes societal order and harmony.
>>
>>155570506
>there is one killer problem on our suneung designed in purpose to distinguish the top 1%
>"ohnonono our education is fucked"
>implying Japan is not culturally almost identical to Korea

I am afraid there is no hope for you, 대깨문
수능 무시하는거 보면 님 학력 알만함 ㅇㅇ

>>155570766
Tell that to Japanese Nobel laureates who do not speak a word in English lol
>>
>>155570897
Most inventions that changed the world have been made by people who didn't even finish high school, let alone pass a test, which is why all of them have always come from scientific outsiders, and faced great resistance throughout their life from the mainstream quackademia. It's only 100s of years of later when their inventions get re-discovered and recognized.
>>
>>155568996
there is no critical thinking in Western academia anymore, it's entirely indoctrination under the guise of critical analyses (ex social studies)

Critical thinking hasn't really been a thing in academia since at least the 1960's
>>
>>155571002
You mean (((critical thinking))). Yes it is.
>>
>>155571260
>Critical thinking hasn't really been a thing in academia since at least the 1960's
lmao the ear before that was rife with people saying that universities were all about "indoctrination"
>>
>>155571126
대깨문이 포챈을 하겠냐 생각좀 ㅇㅇ
>>
>>155571260
I didn't say quckademia, I said society.
>>
>>155568855
You’re actually retarded
>>
>>155571376
>people

the cultural revolution of the 1960's was entirely Jewish subversion

https://www.educate-yourself.org/cn/TheJewishRevolutionarySpiritAndItsImpactOnWorldHistory2009.pdf
>>
"muh critical thinking" is a special snowflake and retard cope used by people who were shit at school and can't properly prepare for an exam even if their life depended on it
nowadays it's talked about more because newer generations are growing up on the internet and smartphones which literally rot the brain
>>
>>155568694
No joke, a woman looking like that started working at our company and bitch is Mexican.
God I love my country.
>>
>>155571560
Exams don't really prepare people for real life scenarios or applications+theories that well.
>>
>>155571494
It's always the Jews with you lol.
>>
>>155571684
he's right though
some forms of information require immense discipline to master
a lot of coddled kids have this idea of immediate competence ('talent'/'genius')
>>
>>155570109
>You are a pathetic self hating idiot who worships everything in west.
wtf I love South Korea now

keep resisting westernization, and Jewish influence
>>
>>155571725
any phenomenon that requires research or nuanced examination => jews
>>
>>155568855
Yup I think this post pretty much shows that OP has no idea what he's talking about. Thinking about confucianism as if it was a religion like christianity or something. Not realizing its supreme impact across the sinic cultural sphere, and that china was run on it. Not realizing how the exams weren't phased out that long ago. This post takes the cake.
>>
>>155571725
Jews literally admit and celebrate that they were behind Marxism and the subsequent cultural revolutions around the world

https://www.anumuseum.org.il/blog-items/frankfurt-school-jewish-intellectuals-made-60s/
>>
>>155571819
Confucianism isn't the only major religion that China had. They also had the Daoism which was pretty much modern day Libertarianism. They also had Buddhism, and few others. It can't be all explained with Confucianism.
>>
>>155568694
Critical thinking isn't taught in Western schools. They just get told that critical thinkers don't like Nazis
>>
>>155568694
because critical thinking and creativity isn't something that can be easily measured or quantified. Because of this, EVERYONE, not just asians depend on standardized testing and scores to measure intellectual ability, and focus.
>>
>>155572426
I get that tests are needed to evaluate skills, but in Western societies it's recognized that critical thinking is more important than test scores. Scores are important, but being able to think critically is more important.

In Asia it seems that society itself does not put any value on the ability to think critically about the world, to be creative, and innovative. The highest value is getting the highest score.
>>
>>155571684
>Exams don't really prepare people for
Exams prepare people for the inevitability of having to actually do some work and prepare shit to get the results. Good luck getting in anywhere and and good luck with various "theories" without the knowledge needed for exams. If you did a social experiment with totally removing exams from the curriculum students won't learn shit.
The same faggots who talk about critical thinking and whatnot are the same people who completely miss the point of math and believe shit like "oh I'll never encounter this form of math in my life"
>>
>>155573060
What is wrong with bringing life to math?
>>
>>155571739
>>155573060
That's why you make use of your knowledge in the field. A fuckton of shit in university they teach you is never applied or used the way it does in the actual field. It's why my brother has to deal with so many interns who score did well in University yet are utterly incompetent because they have no idea how those skills are translated into the workplace or how the things they learned at school do not translate neatly into the field if at all.
>>
yeah yeha ok i will finish the critique of pure reason ok are you happy you yuropeons
>>
>>155573060
Exams can't teach you practical skills. You learn that with practice on the job. Stupid pomak.
>>
>>155572732
>Scores are important, but being able to think critically is more important.
Ok, but there is no way to measure it.
if you can't objectively measure something, all you really end up is guessing, and along with that comes a bunch of idiots failure students who COPE about having failed by claiming to be better critical thinkers, or "street smarts".

Scores are a better measure of long-term success. So, realistically, scores matter more. Critical thinking is valued, just pointless to try and gauge.
Ultimately, Asian societies are rapidly innovating, so it's not like they don't have plenty of thinkers and creative people.
>>
>>155573158
integrals and differentiation do involve real math, the former used in finding areas under graphs, graph based volumes, areas between graphs, and the latter used in optimization and rate of change problems
>>
>Critical thinking
>>
>>155573201
That has more to do with how students get involved with the fields of their respective degrees. The OP is basically crying "why school hard reee"
>>155573331
>practical skills
you won't even get the chance to be in a situation where you gain practical skills unless you learn work discipline and how to process information through exams you retard
>>
>>155573399
Yes, but that is college math. I'm talking about shit they teach at schools. What is the point of teaching things at a shallow depth if people can't use anything that isn't basic arithmetic in a real world setting?
Don't get me wrong, I love math, I used to study Physics, and I'm currently enrolled in a computer science course, but it is just stupid seeing that most of my old classmates had to learn the same shit I did.
>>
>>155573488
Exams don't teach you how to process information you stupid monkey. Exams also don't teach you discipline. You learn discipline on the job.
>>
>>155573615
in that case a stats course for math might make sense for the average person, but I understanding calc is a very enlightening experience imho
>>
>>155573358
>Scores are a better measure of long-term success.
Are you nuts?

There's also no need to "measure" critical thinking. The idea is not to test and grade critical thinking, but just to teach kids to have it by engaging in class debates, discussion, writing essays criticizing whatever. I am sure there're various ways to teach someone to think critically about the world, how to reason, engage in civil debates, express arguments, etc. Not just a mindless monkey who can't think for themselves like most Asians do, that's why the moment you disagree with them they snap and start stabbing people.
>>
>>155573696
Yes, it definitely is. Learning differential equations and statistics dramatically change the worldview of anyone, but you have to understand it. It doesn't matter learning how to solve a second degree polynomial if you can't do anything with it. Specially considering that people are able to learn almost anything on the internet, I think that people should learn how to model reality in a robust fashion. Actual mathematical thinking, something like Plato would put it, but it doesn't even have to be with complicated concepts, simple things would do, and whenever they need something else, they can just look it up and whatever.
>>
>>155573860
Or even better, something that is on every single first chapter of most contemporary college physics books. Scientific thinking and that how to estimate the magnitude of whatever.
>>
>>155568694
Reading this thread I'm seeing people treating score measurement based on memorization and incentive for critical thinking as two opposite and mutually exclusive concepts, but I don't think this is true.

The ability to use concepts from different fields applied on an unpredictable real world situation is capable of being measured. We use this idea on the Brazilian national entrance exam. I know, Brazilian education is bad but hear me out, most students fail on this exam and it isn't easy. Our problem are the public schools.

Yes, there are some political bullshit in questions about social science but most of the test legitimally avaliates your capability of using learned tools to solve a heavly contextualized problem that usually needs thinking outside the box. You need to memorize core concepts, but you'll depend way more on understanding the different factors and implications on Brazilian independence than remembering the year it happened, for example.

The name of this exam is Enem and it's inspired on the chinese GaoKao, but I don't know if the chinese exam uses the same approach as ours. The tests are applied on two consecutive sundays every year, 45 questions for languages, 45 for humanities, 1 redaction during 5h30min the first day. 45 questions for natural sciences and 45 questions for mathematics during 5h the second day.

Everybody is avaliated the same way and you use your score to compete for public universities entrance in all the country. Only your score is needed and you dont need interview or extracurricular bullshit. Before the introduction of quotas everybody competed equally, but the test itself is still pretty good on my opinion.
>>
>>155568820
According to what? Here teachers get to decide whether they want to hold exams at all and even if they do end up doing so, they still pull course grades out of their arse since a test score can't be considered a 1:1 measure of a student's skill and understanding
>>
File: easy history question.png (211 KB, 870x484)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
>>155574871
my poorly translated example of an easy history question, this was last sunday
>>
>>155576181
other question, probably easy-medium level
>>
File: hard history question.png (171 KB, 796x342)
171 KB
171 KB PNG
>>155576815
hard question
>>
>>155577503
example of natural science question from the last year
>>
File: physics question.png (87 KB, 697x583)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>155577990
natural science from the last year, could you solve it?
>>
File: math question.png (86 KB, 798x500)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
>>155578309
mathematics question. Probably considered hard or medium-hard, because logarithm is one of our last subjects taught on high school
>>
how do history questions look like in your country? Are they like these >>155576181 >>155576815 >>155577503 ? Or do they ask for you to remember when specific events happened? Do universities require a history test at all?
>>
>>155579111
There is definitely a retreat from standardized testing in the US. For example, the SAT II subject tests (which included US History and World History) were axed because of overlap with Advanced Placement exams, and certain universities like UC are no longer even looking at SAT I exam scores for the admissions process.

AP exams are relevant only if you're applying to more competitive universities that expect students to have taken those kinds of courses. It's a mix of remembering specifics and making inferences. For example, this is a sample AP European History test:
https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-european-history-ced-practice-exam.pdf
>>
>>155579111
Mostly similar. There are no questions about specific dates, but you do have to know what was going on in the different periods of Chilean history. The history test is not required in general, it's up to the universities to set their own weights for each test.

https://demre.cl/publicaciones/pdf/2022-21-07-15-modelo-historia.pdf
>>
>>155579599
>>155579960
Interesting. A difference from our Enem that I noticed is that here each question has a text, sometimes very lengthy (the test of languages is full of walltexts). Also these questions seem to be quite direct about what is being asked, here they are more interpretative, like you can answer without knowing the subject if you have a good world understanding and sharp mind.

>>155579599
>only if you're applying to more competitive universities that expect students to have taken those kinds of courses
other universities don't require humanities evaluation? Here no matter your intended field, everybody is evaluated on Math, Languages, Text, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, History, Geography, Sociology and Philosophy. Its cool for giving you the chances of choosing between totally different courses according to your points, but I think requiring Physics and Chemistry for everyone is kind of unfair. Humanities should be required for everyone, to produce decent citizens though.

>>155579960
our universities also use different weights too, but not all of them.
>>
>>155578309
c)28 s, 42 s and 53s.
>>
>>155580804
>our universities also use different weights too, but not all of them
Some universities pick the best score from the optional science and history tests. There are also two factors calculated from your high school grades that can be a real pain in the ass for some people.
>>
>>155581232
>calculated from your high school grades
A great thing that we don't have that. Must be very harsh loosing your opportunities because of a bad high school, even if you was later capable of bettering yourself. No matter how much you fail you can always study harder and try the next year.
>>
>>155580804
An "evaluation" consists of meeting minimum breadth requirements in the courses you take, with the practical expectation that you will do more than the minimum and perform well in those if you want to get into the more prestigious universities. There is no required exam for specialized subjects. The SAT and ACT act as de facto entrance exams, but as I mentioned, there is a movement away from them to further emphasize course grades, rigor and selection of those courses, extracurriculars (participation in sports, art, volunteering, student government, jobs/internships, leadership positions, etc), admissions essays, and, for the most selective private institutions, maybe recommendation letters or interviews. This so-called "holistic" admissions process is standard for American universities.

For example, these are minimum requirements for UC, but if you only actually take two years of science or two years of history, or if you took the regular/basic level of courses instead of honors/AP, you sure aren't getting into anything but the bottom tier of campuses:
https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/subject-requirement-a-g.html
>>
>>155581141
wrong !
>>
>>155578627
i'm not smart enough to do that
>>
>>155568694
School being about muh critical thinking is a commie thing
Traditional schooling was about memorising information
>>
>>155581687
I see. Do you think the holistic admission process is better than the entrance by score on the unified entrance exam?
>>
>>155581421
At first it was just a single factor calculated with a single scale, so if you came from a high school known for having very demanding tests you were at a disadvantage against people from schools where getting a perfect score is easier. They tried to fix this by adding a second factor that uses a scale calculated using the grades from previous generations and this led to people tricking the system by changing schools the last year, so they had to change it again to make it consider each year by separate instead of averaging everything and comparing against your current school. It's a fucking mess, thank god it wasn't a problem for me.
>>
>>155572067
Holy shit was a retarded post
Are you a american on vacation?
>>
>>155582154
Kek, here we have some retardations too. For example, since public educated students perform so bad they came up with the solution of designating half of the places for who had high school in public institutions. This is intended to help the poor, but private schools are very cheap in Brazil and even poor people put their kids in private institutions because the government education is chaos. Cutting by half the places for private educated students makes the competition very hard and end up favoring rich kids from elite schools.

In order to avoid the harsh competition I had to face, my sibling is going to do the high school in a federal vocational institute. This will give right to compete easily and even will have elite education because it's a federal school instead of the most common kind of public school that is managed with fewer money from the states or municipalities.
>>
Because east-asians, despite being high iq, are essentially a bug people, that is why they will never innovate as much as yuropoors
>>
>>155582123
I'm not sure, really. The holistic process makes university admissions similar to applying for a job, where your grades and extracurriculars are basically like a resume, so you could argue that it better approximates real-world processes than a simple national exam score evaluation. The process basically filters "book smart" people who are very intelligent but don't do anything outside of getting good grades or test scores into "good but not top" universities. All the top ones are looking for the well-rounded, excels at everything meme.

On the other hand, the retreat from standardized tests for supposed discriminatory qualities feels like a mistake, and the holistic process also has issues in emphasizing the importance of irrelevant activities. I think the US is really the only country that has this kind of system, for better or worse.
>>
>>155568820
>actual valuable skills
Math is more valuable than lawn mowing Jaun
>>
>>155582575
>elite education because it's a federal school
Nice, here the public system is all municipal and sucks in most cases, the voucher system isn't much better and the fully-private options are really expensive. As expected, this has a considerable effect in the results of the university admission tests and has led to people demanding a "new type of test" or reserved places even though it's obvious that none of that would work without fixing the education system in general. At least you can get free university if you're in the 60% of lower income.
>>
>>155583011
There are plenty of ways to circumvent it, here in the US. Money, for instance.
Also, I got invitations to apply to a lot of elite universities when I was in a community college and joined some honors societies.
>>
>>155583952
Honor societies are scams that only dumbasses fall for. Anything that requires payment for membership clearly isn't merit based
>>
File: 1598766923705.jpg (65 KB, 1015x1024)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>critical thinking
lmao
what's next? They lack "emotional intelligence"?
>>
File: 11328.jpg (190 KB, 960x684)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>155570109
reminder
>>
>>155570109
>Friendly reminder that Japan has one of the most Nobel prizes in the world and their education is based on memorization and not critical thinking.
Bug cope, per capita japan has as many nobel prize winners as taiwan, compared to european countries Japan is really not that impressive (still massively better than other non-whites however).
>>
File: 1637871502594.png (159 KB, 728x786)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>155583011
when the questions are highly interpretative, with few time to answer and more dependent on world comprehension than memorization of subjects, you end up with an exam that is basically an IQ test mixed with wisdom evaluation. It filters the nerds and selects the most smart people to occupy the academic upper social stratus.
>>
>>155569522
The difference is best put into example by two different exam paradigms.

The first kind being exams which are several hundred questions of multiple choice questions, with extremely limited resources.

The second kind being an exam which consists of only a few open-ended questions, in which your professor allows you unlimited access to your textbook.

Memorization does not teach you how to identify problem domains and compose solutions from basic principles.
>>
>>155584175
>"emotional intelligence"
they should educate kids on that too
>>
>>155585189
Based
>>
>>155568855
No it wasn't. It was only abolished in the 20th century but it just moved on to other exams. Even worse than before. In fact, Chinese have this myth from the 20th century of a style of apparently regurgitative essay having stifled their technological invention and development. And that was the reason, the justification, they used to reconcile the irrelevance (in terms of Western values of technological progress) of China at the time. Is this actually true? I don't think it's that simple. The exam itself doesn't have to be bad, it's just that it is so deterministic, a practice ingrained for over a thousand years (just as cheating on it is), that the exam is distorted and becomes bad for education.

>>155568694
The reason is strictly because the exams, specifically university entrance exams, determine how their life turns out. So the school system and culture has optimised to this end. It doesn't matter if it doesn't actually educate because it's so important and because your performance is relative to other students, the better their performance, the better your performance has to be. So school can't aim to educate more generally, it has to focus on passing exams. If it doesn't, it will ruin lives.

Actually I think there have been attempts at reforming it so so it's not so deterministic, the population, at least in China, wants it to be less deterministic or more balanced. But it hasn't come about yet.
>>
>>155569522
Writing down the 'right answer' and selecting the correct option does not involve any thinking at all and selects for pure memorisation and regurgitation. It's not about exams, it's about the degree and style, and the ranking. It promotes thoughtlessness and a very narrow idea of what reasoning and problem-solving is.
>>
Critical thinking is such a buzzword meme term

What you need is logical problem solving skills and pattern recognition. Those are DETERMINED AT BIRTH

School should only exist to separate the useful people from the tards, end of story.
>>
>>155568694
True
>>
>>155570978
>You can't for IQ tests
you can, just study math for a few years and you'll score higher
at least that's what happened to me
>>
>>155586642
>Those are DETERMINED AT BIRTH
This is not true. You are born with genetic factors making it easier or more difficult to achieve high IQ, but the outcome depends on nutricion and education during the first years.
>>
I remember when I did my masters degree in engineering and many Chinese and Indian had such a hard time because they couldn't handle assignments where you had to develop your own methods and search for data.
These people weren't dumb they were just trained to copy paste everything they learned.
This was also a huge problem for them when writing reports and essays. They would just copy large sections of text from litterature and saw no issues with it. The university even had special classes for these people to teach them what was considered plagiarism.
>>
>>155568694
Sounds like cope to me
>they're good at tests because uhhhh because they don't have critical thinking ok?
>>
File: catgirl.jpg (202 KB, 1280x853)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>155568694
What the fuck is "critical thinking" at this point, other than "conforming to my own political opinions"?
>>
>>155568694
Cope
>>
File: Enem 2020 humanities.png (105 KB, 676x464)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>>155587725
example of critical thinking
>>
File: m1000x1000.jpg (226 KB, 1000x1000)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>155581901
ok I actually tried doing the math and see I was horribly wrong.
[spoiler]it's a) right?[/spoiler]
>>
>>155588880
>it's a) right?
sorry bro, still incorrect
>>
>>155570860
Lol you are wrong though. An SJW teacher here got woke math into the curriculum. Some woke teachers here actually got SJW into the curriculum that said math was Eurocentric, Subjective and Racist.

This is actually the first thing you read in our new math textbooks:

“Mathematics has been used to normalize racism and marginalization of non-Eurocentric mathematical knowledges.”

A sample question would be: 'you have a white, a black and a brown cup. How many marbles do each get' and they would go on to teach about why waippl are racist.

Its pretty fucking dumb and I say this as a nonwhite who hates white people for ruining the country with social justice wokism.
>>
>>155589579
sounds too absurd to be real
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 461x600)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>155589732
Its real. But its been reversed by our conservative gov (Rob Ford the crackhead mayor's brother Doug). All the people pushing it who are SJWs with a humanities or social science background keep shilling that everything is eurocentric and racist. All of them are now in the Ministry of Education so this will probably return in the next government.

This shit has infected every single discipline. It was not there when I graduated highschool and university 5 years ago.

https://www.tvo.org/article/what-does-an-anti-racist-math-class-look-like?amp
>>
>>155576181
>>155576815
>>155577503
What level is this? This seems too advanced for highschool but college level history and politics were all essay and writing based.

High school history is less advance than generic youtube videos that are poorly researched and designed for clicks.
>>
>>155568694

To be honest, I wish my school had been more focused on maths.
>>
>>155568694
>implying our schools teach critical thinking
>>
>>155590281
mine too
>>
>>155590263
It's high school level here. Enem means National High School Exam, every senior student needs to apply and you need your Enem score to enter federal universities and most of state universities.

I didn't realize this was considered advanced, we have lots of geography and history classes here and they always talk about these kind of subjects all the time. But in maths we are probably less advanced than your education system, we only go up until pre-calculus and basic statistics, while in the first world people learn derivatives and integrals.
>>
>>155591209
Most people don't do calculus in HS. Maybe 20% and those are for people intending to do business or science or engineering in university. I did not take it and had to do summer courses in uni.
>>
>>155591361
oh yes, I wasn't considering that in other countries people study based on their interests. Here we all have the same classes, all obligatory. The time to chose your field is after the Enem results came out and Unified Selection System starts.

Even if you want engineering you won't be able to learn about advanced math until college.
>>
>>155584228
based
>>
>>155568694
>critical thinking
lol. stfu faggot cunt.
>>
>>155569522
Knowing what the right answer is, is not the same thing as knowing WHY it's the right answer.
>>
>>155584228
>Swedish organisation gives swedes prizes
Wow
>>
k

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.