[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1605951086488.jpg (306 KB, 1353x1109)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
Why does Gen Z think the top is what Vikings looked like?
>>
>gen z
most people of every age believe in this stereotype
not everyone is educated on viking history
>>
ITT:

https://youtu.be/C5KjkwfYYBw
>>
File: D8tYkkSXoAAEfr1.jpg (133 KB, 900x1200)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>wow he looks just like me, take my money
>>
>retard doesn’t know why helmets don’t look heroic or cool in movies

What’s it like having autism?
>>
>>9867991
Literally entirely due to the Vikings TV show
It's damage to the normie historical perception is only comparable to all the early 2000s show spam about muh nazi secret wunderwaffen
>>
I'm especially interested about why the crewcut part. Even if it's because "Nordics kept one part of their head shaven", in reality they shaved the area over the nape and let the hair on the side grow long.
>>
File: lgfsk7m51g051.png (834 KB, 3620x1566)
834 KB
834 KB PNG
>>9867991
Pic related
>>
File: vikings-759.jpg (47 KB, 759x422)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>9868039
>>
>>9867991
They are fags
>>
File: Byzantine Varangian.jpg (234 KB, 784x1018)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>9867991
Christian Vikings > Pagan niggers
>>
>>9868052
>watched a few minutes of the new viking AC
>literally every character is sporting that fucking Ragnar haircut
>>
>>9868022
God this guy is so fucking hot. I'd let him destroy my ass anyday if i he didn't cringe me out a little with the white supremacy shit
>>
>>9868180
what is it with leftists and ass destruction
>>
>>9867991
History Channel's Vikings
Heavy Metal Subculture.

To be fair, popular depictions of vikings never ever have been accurate since the 19th Century.
>>
>>9867991
Zoomoid here, a lot of my generation are actually obsessed with historical accuracy, probably due to autism, I believe it's not a problem with generations, but just the fact that pop culture is always retarded.
>>
>valhöll
Va?
>>
>>9868180
He will throw you into the bog
>>
>>9868225
Va
>>
>>9868027
>implying
>>
>>9868039
It's because it's similar to a relatively popular haircut, nothing more. Allows normies to like their viking without their friends saying long hair is for girls.
>>
Is almost everybody on /his/ teenagers pretending to be oldfags?
"Vikings" have been portrait as as silly inaccurate caricatures since the 19th century.
You guys actually think this started with the Vikings show as if you're only familiar with post-2000 entertainment and assume it's a recent thing.
>>
>>9867991
Honestly the real ones look much cooler. Its a shame
>>
>>9867991
Because of shitty shows like:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_(2013_TV_series)
>>
>>9867991
>>9868044
You can wear those things in game anon. It's main character syndrome, not what people think vikings actually look like.
>>
>>9868220
>Zoomoid here, a lot of my generation are actually obsessed with historical accuracy
No, they aren't. Zoomies don't give a single shit about historical accuracy, unless they're one of those paradox gamer types.
>>
>>9868180
How exactly is Tom a white supremacist?
>>
If you want a good viking themed game I highly recommend playing Expeditions: Viking. You play as the new chieftain of a small and poor clan in mid Jutland in the 750s. First you have to defeat other people who are challenging you for clan leadership, then build a war band, go raiding in denmark to put together money and build a ship to go overseas. The areas you explore are northumbria, pictland, and the orkneys. Throughout the game you're constantly given the choice of being a rape and pillage viking raider, a mercenary, or even peaceful explorer and trader. The game's story culminates in a war between the picts and northumbrians which you can join either side of, or even play them against each other while you build up an army in the orkneys you use to backstab your "ally" and conquer them both.

All the while you use the wealth from raiding to expand your village and build up it's defenses, so you can then crush the neighboring clans in Jutland.

It's a really cool game, and had a lot more attention paid to historical accuracy than ass creed.
>>
>>9868355
His kind will gladly associate any reference to germanic cultures with white supremacism. It's no hindrance for them as, like you can see, they're not very above spreading their asses for the people they supposedly hate.
>>
>>9868358
Nah, the best Viking era game is by far Viking Conquest for Warband.
>>
>>9868358
Liked conquistador more, but viking was fun.
>>
>>9868354
No, he's right. The whole "historically accurate armors" fever on the internet is definitely a zoomer thing, It's a way for them to rebel against the older forms of entertainment. You're probably thinking about older generations.
>>
>>9868361
It's sad really. Having an interest in history, even your ancestry, doesn't make you a racist. Besides, Tom seems perfectly personable. The only way I can think you might think of him as a racist is because of his interact with some "fringe" political YouTubers, like the Golden One. But even the Golden One isn't a white supremacist, he's a civic nationalist, and a moderate pagan, which is exactly why we fell out with an actual white supremacist and hardliner "pagan" (*placenta cultist) Varg Vikernes.
>>
>>9868286
Autism

When you go to see a movie you aren’t gonna empathize with “masked warrior #10,000” instead of the heroes.
>>
>>9868368
Conquistador had better writing and was more challenging, but I enjoyed both a lot. In 2018 THQ bought the studio and the IP, and they said they were were starting development on a third game in the series, but no word on what it will be. They opened an office in Istanbul last year so I wonder if it will be byzantine or turk themed.
>>
File: EnAm1VgWMAABz1r.jpg (52 KB, 827x514)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>9867991
There are people who even believe that Vikings were some kind of pagan poster boys when they were already Christians by the time of their first accounts and their ancestors ended up being the Al Qaeda of Christianity.
>>
>>9868027
What's it like being unable to appreciate helmets like an autist ?
>>
>>9868388
>Duuuh I have see face without helmet, or no emotion have
Okay Grugg.
>>
>>9867991
Because the previous generation also through the same thing and they just added some blocks.
Don't come with exceptions from generality because you could do the same thing about their current depictions and end up in a circle.
>>
>>9868443
Autists hate seeing human faces, retard
>>
>>9868451
This is how normal people think, anon. I understand you haven’t socialized since high school.
>>
>>9868384
>>9868355
I remember he said in a video he used to be a literal skinhead in high school before going on shrooms
>>
>>9868044
Vikings wore makeup (kohl) IRL though.
>>
>>9867991
This retarded ass undercut hairstyle is probably what annoys me the most about vikings in series/movies from the 2010 onward (far more than shieldmaiden and shit)
>>
>>9868027
>NOO EVERYTHING HAS TO HAVE A FACE LIKE A CARTOON FOR TODDLERS
that's just retarded, and yes 99% of the population and tv/movie producers are wrong, a minority of patricians who actually have taste should dictate what everyone else watches
>>
>>9868783
Does it have any basis in history?
>>
File: 1575505241028.jpg (141 KB, 1023x789)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>9868066
Cringe
>>
>>9868853
No, or at least it's highly doubtful. I believe the depiction just started because the undercut + manbun became the haircut of choice for hipsters.
>>
>>9868027
>>retard doesn’t know why helmets don’t look heroic or cool in movies
Lord of the rings put all the main characters in helmets and that worked out well
>>
>>9868022
>your are ancestors watching
>>
>>9868027
Vader has a helmet and he is one of the most iconic movie character of all time.
>>
>>9868573
Past tense isn't present tense, you spastic.

>>9868493
Yes, and the majority of people have an average IQ.
>>
>>9868286
very doubtful that those types of helmets were ever used in battle
>>
>>9868027
Most popular TV show right now is about a guy who never takes off his helmet
>>
>>9867991
Hollywood does not like chainmail or helmets, simple as
>>
>>9869031
Average people do not identify with characters wearing masks on screen. There’s a reason people get paid to make this decision.
>>
>>9867991
>not wielding a spear

Ngmi
>>
>>9867991
Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings film adaptations brought CGI mythological creatures into popularity. Then you have Chronicles of Narnia film adaptation with dragons. Eragon. How to train your Dragon in 2010. Then Game of Thrones, nords and Dragons. Then Skyrim Nords and Dragons. Then Hobbit film adaptation, Dwarves and Dragons. Then Vikings TV show. Then Witcher 3. Then God of War which is just stereotypical nord bullshit
>>
>>9869555
Gimmick: the show
>>
>>9869597
Don't think this is true, masks make it easier to self-insert
>>
>>9868384

He's basically altright tier. He had a stream with Edward Dutton. Which is based, idc
>>
>>9868384
>Defending the golden kek
>>
top looks cooler and sells more games

i know you guys are unironically autistic but you can use that supposedly highly analytical mind of yours and realize how marketing works

i guess that doesn't apply if you're just looking for something to be mad about
>>
>>9868591
But it wasn't blue. Kohl is literally coal mixed with other pigments and using rare blue pigments would be a massive waste for them.
>>
because it looks cooler than reality u fat nerd. aesthetics matter.
>>
>>9868342
>You can wear those things in game anon
i have yet to found a single item that resembles chainmail
>>
>>9869786
>I have yet

Autism confirmed. Talk normal, Shakespeare.
>>
>>9869836
your mom likes it when i talk like that
>>
>>9869693
Bottom looks more realistic and appreciates the source material.

I know you guys unironically have Williams syndrome but you can use that supposedly highly empathetic mind of yours and respect how /his/ works.

I guess that doesn't apply if you're just looking for something to be pacified about.
>>
>>9869605
cope fag
it is full of fanservice feminist shite tho
>>
>>9869836
>Autism confirmed. Talk normal, Shakespeare.
Never impose your damned neurotypical standards on a brother in ASD. Go follow your routine, scratch your ass and eat a banana and when you get out, stay out.
An autistic life is rotten throughout as one always has need to release intellectual burden but never a loud mouth which might be apt to bout such a preponderant hurdle.
>>
File: file.png (1.44 MB, 1000x541)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
>>9867991
this is what gen z will think who vikings where.
>>
>>9867991
Because everyone hears the word "viking" or "barbarian" and immediately thinks of some Skyrim or Conan fantasy bullshit. I would have played the hell out of that game if it looked like the bottom, was hella disappointed to see goofy Hollywood shit in a game that's all about history.
>>
>>9868368
Was Conquistador the one where 50% of the Spanish were female?
>>
>>9868027
I want to see an action movie introduce a "main character" who refuses to wear a helmet in order to look cool for the camera who dies to an instakill headshot 5 minutes in, where they then introduce the non-retarded, actual main character who bothers to wear one
>>
>>9870167
Is this your first AC game, anon...
>>
>>9870176
Sounds like gay post-modern Tarantino shit
>>
>>9870184
based
>>
>>9870183
Okay okay I know, but it was fucking dope seeing people in period-accurate clothing, arms, and armor walking around real cities in AC1-3, so I was fine with the retarded Templar plot intermittent with seeing other key historical figures or random people in-universe being badass or just going about their day in the time period. Valhalla and Odyssey have both been wet dogshit in this regard.
>>
>>9870200
I hate both. But I enjoyed Origins. The historical inaccuracies like Caesar having hair were annoying, but Roman Egypt is one of the most interesting periods and just being able to walk around was a joy.
I don't feel anything like that for Valhalla. Just gives me Skyrim PTSD. I would've preferred it much more if you were a good and honorable English boy killing the viking invaders.
It's fucking incredible how we're past a decade of this franchise but they still haven't made a game set in the far east. India, China, Japan... Fuck, I'd even settle for like Russia during the 19th century, in fact that would be kino and would make perfect sense given the amount of revolutionaries.
>>
>>9868022
>you are playing vidya
>ancestor opens door
>"are you winning, descendant?"
>>
File: 1584104910313.webm (2.94 MB, 428x398)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
>>9867991
>Gen Z
Wrong, more whimsical and unrealistic entertainment existed in the late 80, 90s and early 2000s, so more in the "millennial" period
Conan, Xena, Hercules, Sindbad TV shows from the US are good examples.
Skimpy outfits, leather, unrealistic gear everywhere was the norm and few people complained.

The whole obsession with "realism" in fantasy is recent post-2000 and especially post-2010 thing.. Gen Z would most likely like the bottom so I don't know why you are hating your allies on this issue. Your Z nerd is more likely to complain about unrealistic armors and actually write large detailed comments about why they aren't realistic as if other people don't know and how it is "wrong" to like that.
>>
>>9870216
>I would've preferred it much more if you were a good and honorable English boy killing the viking invaders.
Based. Gotta find a way to use those shit tier For Honor viking assets, though!
>>
>>9870216
>Russia during the 19th century
Oh god oh fuck no
They'd turn Alexander II into literally Satan to justify his assassination
>>
>>9867991
Because they haven't played Mount and Blade Viking Conquest, which is the superior version of this game.
>>
>>9867991
>Why does Gen Z think the top is what Vikings looked like?
Popular depictions =/= serious depictions. Might as well ask why all boomers and Gen Z though Vikings wore horns on their helmets.
>>
>>9867991
Classical viking fans:
>"He could stride across seas, had a fiery gaze that could kill a man, with a mighty fairy-forged blade in each hand: his left could cleave apart a score of men in a single blow and his right could raze mountains down to their foundation! He would bed seventy women a night, and slew dragons and giants with his bare hands! When he died, the skies wept blood for a thousand years and his wives all died of grief."

Modern viking fans:
>"Um, excuse me, xir, but that metallurgy technique used for your nipple piercings is not time period appropriate. I'm going to have to ask you to remove those or be banned from the trans-friendly homosexual orgy reenactment."

Whoever edited the OP image was clearly in the latter camp.
>>
>>9868027
This. Actual Viking helmets look hideous while fictional ones are badass.
>>
>>9870838
Viking legends:
>In the midst of battle, the rage and bloodlust would consume their greatest warrior and transmogrify their flesh, turning them into inhuman beasts enthralled with the fight.
Viking """history""":
>They did drugs, duuude, but it wasn't really that common or effective. Fucking D&D nerds ruined our proud history.
>>
>>9867991
Top one is way sexier and easier to sell than bottom
>>
>>9870148
we wuz vikangz n shiet
>>
>>9870934
Viking reality:
>they had some more wealthy (and thus better equipped), experienced warriors whom they employed as Medieval proto-shock troops, who may or may not have used drugs, who became renowned for their combat prowess. Legend and wild speculation ensued.
>>
File: 1589043406867.jpg (201 KB, 720x1280)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>9867991
Same way they think the gods are like this: Media
>>
>>9870171
Somewhat. Your player character can be female if you want. Your background was that you were like the 4th child of an important spanish lord, and you had been running the gendarmerie on your father's estate but begged him to give you backing to mount an expedition to the new world.

At the start you select your party based on 30 or so possible recruits. Every recruit is either a soldier, scout, hunter, doctor, or scholar. The scouts and hunters are mixed, there's one female doctor and one female scholar, both of whom are nuns. I think there's a couple of female soldiers too iirc. Yeah its a bit inaccurate but it didn't bother me too much.
>>
>>9868354
>No, they aren't. Zoomies don't give a single shit about historical accuracy, u
No he's right. They care more than previous generations though. Boomers and previous generations did not give a single flying fuck about historical accuracy.
>>
File: 1520813127343.jpg (53 KB, 750x737)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>9868180
>>
I can't stand the cringe "tough boy" accent of the soikings in this game, it pisses me off so much. It's as if you made common englishmen talk only in poems during the London parts
>>
>>9870148
And that's a good thing
>>
>>9867991
because it's romanticized ofc, no one wants to see the live of a Scandinavian raider skullfucking monks, womens and sometimes actual armies
>>
>vikings were in an ancient guild of international assassins fighting the illuminati
>UGH IS THAT A HORNED HELMET?!
Nigga...
>>
>>9872240
People on /his/ just want more historical accuracy in historical games
If fucking Spiderman went back to 1358 Prague to battle the dude made out of sand, I would still prefer to see proper churches and clothes and wheatfields and horses rather than whatever some Hollywood hack believes will look the coolest
>>
Gen Z? This is a decades-old hollywood trend. For whatever reason it is widely accepted to just make shit up for a "medieval" setting even though media set in the early-modern period is often quite accurate.
>>
File: file.png (1.87 MB, 1073x844)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB PNG
>>9868027
>
>>
>>9872253
No, people on /his/ want to sniff their own farts because they know what brigandine is.
>>
File: 1506443704850.jpg (140 KB, 940x627)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>9868891
>*Comes out of the bog*
>Ugh how ghastly....anyway
>>
>>9872253
>historical games
Fucking implying. Vikings are the stuff of legends. Give me flaming arrows and gigantic fucking axes. Throw some fucking trolls in there, too.
>>
>>9872283
Then go make Skyrim 2 and don't do the gay Ubisoft thing of claiming your games reflect history in any way
>>
>>9872283
This
>>
>>9871903
I want to stick my cock in this fag.
>>
>>9869873
Realistic isn’t cool

Do you wanna play a FPS where you mop in the rain, have a grown man inspect your bedroom, get yelled at for buying a brand new car at 40% interest, fap in porta shitters, argue about which celebrity you’d fuck, wear a retard helmet on a treadmill, and maybe hear a mortar go off once in several months a few miles away?
>>
>>9868388
This is a far more autistic (if autistic = bad, inhuman, robotic) opinion, in my opinion. Nobody empathizes with these 'heroes' because they are so commercial and contrived.
>>
>>9868493
no its not, its how retarded film students erroneously believe normal people think.
>>
>>9872387
Yeah keep coping because everyone lives a mediocre life right? truth is far stranger than fiction, and these fictitious stories already emphasize a cool character with a 'cool story', they always happen to be the exact same, soulless, uncreative character made by dull losers. All of those things sound good anyway.
>>
>>9868286
It looks pretty cool.
>>
Realismfags would probably try to shout down Homer for his description of Bronze Age Greece
>>
>>9872468
I’m terribly sorry I don’t wanna play “3rd world boat merchant simulator”. Not all of us can have such thrilling ideas like you.
>>
>>9872702
I can't understand how anyone can love the classics and epics, then somehow become autistically obsessed with "muh realism". It's almost as bad as those faggots who come here asking for recommended reading and then scoff at suggestions like the Illiad or the Bible because "hurr, I said 'history books' not 'fiction'."

On the one hand, it feels like a reactionary trend against extreme hollywood-style dramatizations watering down history. One the other hand, I grew up on dime-store narrative-style historical fiction and love the stuff of legends.
>>
>>9872702
haha yeah most of them do but they're actually retarded

that is because the oral sagas that became Homer's Iliad and Odyssey actually come from the Baltic, not the Aegean

https://www.athensjournals.gr/mediterranean/2017-3-2-4-Vinci.pdf
>>
>>9867991
>taking asscreed seriously
>>
>>9872881
>the oral sagas that became Homer's Iliad and Odyssey actually come from the Baltic
MĒS BIJĀM
>>
Obviously there are inaccuracies, but is the game fun and is there still some respect to the era? The locations look beautiful and thinking of getting it.
>>
>>9872713
A somali pirate game would be pretty cool though
>>
>>9867991
>Why does Gen Z think the top is what Vikings looked like?

because they don't read books or go to museums and only know what they see on tv
>>
>>9868891
Cope. The Varangian guard looked cool as fuck.
>>
>>9869693
>top looks cooler
Nah.
>>
>>9873538
>obligatory "them white boys be the real piratez n sheeeit" scene
>8 hours of nigger gameplay
Based ubisoft.
>>
>>9868022
My ancestors are smiling on me Imperial...can you say the same?
>>
>>9867991
>>9868052
>>9873553

I'm very tired of seeing Vikings, and even Romans wearing too much leather armor, and black, grey, or brown clothing, when their armor incorporated mail, and their clothing was usually more colorful and intricate than modern series give Ancient and Medieval people of Europe credit for.
>>
>>9872240
i will never understand people like you. people can be okay with an outrageous story but still want historical accurate clothing, thats in no way a contradiction.
besides, there are people who would also prefer that the game drops this whole assassin-bullshit and the dumb present story, to just play an interesting period piece.
>>
>>9871903
Well, Þór really wasn't blonde, he was a redhead.

And the Norse pantheon is made out of two separate groups, the Æsir and the Vanir, theorized to have been originally two separate pantheons of two separate peoples before the Æsir-worshippers invaded the Vanir-worshippers and eventually integrated their gods into the Æsir-pantheon as gods who came from Vanaheimr to Ásheimr as hostages to ensure peace between the two factions, so you could argue the 'immigrants' angle.
>>
>>9873553
because the people who make the media for vikings do everything to make it look cool and budget friendly
>>
>>9871903
>has never read the rigsthula
>>
>>9874186
>so you could argue the 'immigrants' angle.
you know damn well what kind of narrative is getting pushed by these claims, and it is fucking ridiculous to compare gods given as hostages to modern day third world immigration.
>>
>>9867991
Gen Z doesn't think. They consoom. And top pic is basically Vikings tv series cosplay.
>>9867994
I've never believed in the fur-leather-makeup vikings. The most stereotypical viking thing I remember from childhood is horned spangenhelm.
>>
>>9868358
people still had too mucv modern morality and were waaay to ready to send their women into battle.

>inb4
yeah, a couple of unique female fighters I am down with. having several on a raid i am not
>>
File: Germanic Warriors-38.jpg (375 KB, 1125x1565)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
Vikings have NEVER been portrayed accurately by pop culture.

This is largely because it is impossible to communicate the cultural differences between Vikings and Christian Europe without highlighting the Pagan "Barbarity" of the Vikings.

If we go the accurate route, your average Viking/Norseman is no materially no different from any Spangenhelmed Byrnie-wearing cunt in Western Europe during the Dark-Age period.
>>
>>9874186
pro choice here means "feed subpar babies and girls to the wolves"
>>
>>9870865
Is the loss of peripheral vision worth it? I'd rather have a slit around where my eyes are.
>>
File: 1600710500453.gif (1.97 MB, 400x170)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB GIF
>>9870229
>>
>>9874453
>Not realizing abortion and infanticide both reach the same goal

This isn't my fight, I'm a Hellenic pagan and we put our unwanted kids on cliffs, but infanticide would be perfectly acceptable. Abortion is just slightly more efficient and less messy.
>>
>>9874405
Go back to bed GrandPa.
>>
>>9870236
This
>>
File: Gambeson.png (1.61 MB, 1158x1473)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
>>9873665
>>9867991
>>9870236
>>9874405
>leather

*Blocks your path*
>>
>>9867991
most people don't give a shit about historical accuracy, the events this game is set on happened a thousand years ago on the other side of the planet for most of the audience. besides there's hardly any written evidence from the time period and most of their artifacts have gone to dust already.
>>
>>9874405
>I've never believed in the fur-leather-makeup vikings

Vikings literally did wear fur and "makeup" (face paint) though, that's historical fact.
>>
>>9875346
Source on the face paint?
>>
File: 1586882436497.png (535 KB, 550x550)
535 KB
535 KB PNG
It's slowly getting closer to what they actually looked like though. Vikangz used to be portrayed as super muscular barbarians wearing horned helmets when in reality they were prettyboy twinks who wore flashy colorful clothing, combed their hair, used makeup, dyed their hair, etc:

>The faces of men and women in the Viking Age were more alike than they are today. The women’s faces were more masculine than women’s today, with prominent brow ridges. On the other hand, the Viking man’s appearance was more feminine than that of men today, with a less prominent jaw and brow ridges.
>These ambiguous facial features mean that it is difficult to decide upon a Viking skeleton’s sex based on the skull alone. Therefore, other traits need to be studied in order to identify the sex of skeletons.
>A Spanish Arab who visited Hedeby around the year 1000 described how both men and women in the town wore make-up to look younger and more attractive.
>>
>>9876333
This is a history board, not a board for gay fantasies
>>
>>9875346
It's hard to say who wouldn't wear fur back in the days, because wool and fur were the main winter clothing materials
>>
>>9876408
I'm literally posting quotes from studies done on viking skeletons.
>>
>>9876333
2025 will have movies featuring femboy vikings
>>
>>9876533
it is what pagan LARPers want
>>
>>9875278
Fuck that looks comfy and warm
>>
>>9868324
this
>>
>>9876460
sure you do
>>
>>9868390
shitty take.
>>
>>9868482
Are you one of those people unable not to take photos of themselves in front of beautiful places while in vacation ?
>>
Wow a shitty game does not properly represent history
>>
File: Aurelian.jpg (59 KB, 750x726)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>9868027
>why helmets don’t look heroic or cool in movies
You just have to go further
>>
>>9876333
cute
>>
>>9867991
>Gen Z
Gen Z is filled with 4chan users like you, who autistically obsess over historic accuracy and insist on saying "uh actually..." all the time
>>
File: 1605461153242.jpg (35 KB, 512x314)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>9876333
Straight up facts.
>>
>>9868354
Keep up with the times, grandpa
Every zoomer wants to try and be smarter than the "normies", they're all tripping over each other to look smarter and correct everyone on the most minute details. People in the 1980s didnt give a shit about absurd armor and weapons designs in their comics and DnD, but Zoomers in 2020 get outright triggered over "unrealistic Bikini armor" and "dumb anime swords"
>>
>>9868390
Yeah, everyone forgets that 90% of what we "know" about Norse mythology is literally just a Christian Icelandic Boomer trying to collect the fairytale stories from his locality.
>>
>>9870216
Russia would be Kino as fuck. I wanna meet Dostoevsky in the Gulag
>>
>>9869938
time to close the thesaurus and go outside
>>
>>9868022
Why does he cause so much seethe here?
>>
>>9877126
>I wanna meet Dostoevsky in the Gulag
He would be wearing fur coat with a bowler hat and hunting tigers with a Fedorov automatic rifle.
>>9870216
>Fuck, I'd even settle for like Russia during the 19th century, in fact that would be kino and would make perfect sense given the amount of revolutionaries.
Actually, late 19th century Europe would be great, Russia and France in particular. But this would get too controversial, companies don't have the guts to paint people like Lenin or Bonnot, or maybe some of the Archangel Michael Society as the good guys
>>
>>9873665
watch Barbarians
>>
File: cjzio9xff8d41.jpg (172 KB, 1100x549)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>9873569
get in
>>
>>9870216
>It's fucking incredible how we're past a decade of this franchise but they still haven't made a game set in the far east. India, China, Japan...

There are a game set in dynastic China and another in British India, although they are boh minor spinoffs for PSVita and not full-budget epiodes. Along the same lines, there's also a third one set during the Russian Revolution.
>>
File: 20201015010649_1.jpg (1.29 MB, 2560x1440)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>9874452
There's a few differences they could still have, Christians would have cross patterned shields, they could make these uniform for the sake of the show. They could take the historical helmets and just divide them and say these ones are used by christians and these by pagans. They could also give pagans one set of colours more common to them and another set of colours to the Christians. Perhaps give the pagans a blue/white/black theme throughout all their apparal and give the christians a red/yellow/black theme. Not overt and bright just subtle. The viewer will pick it up after an episode or two.

I mod historical video games and i do this kind of shit to keep it 90% historical but also have differentiation. These are Ptolemaic pikemen fighting Seleucid pikemen, historically they probably looked very similar but we also know the Ptolemies liked red and the Seleucids liked blue so i exagerated those colours while still having variety. These are more uniformed than it would be with Vikings because these are a professional military but you get my point.
>>
>>9870216
>but Roman Egypt is one of the most interesting periods and just being able to walk around was a joy.
But it was about as wrong as it could possibly be.
>>
>>9868022
>it's real
why can't he just act normal and not autistic for once, maybe it's to appeal to other lost autists looking for meaning
>>
>>9868212
I'm a nationalist

>>9868355
He talks about how we should brag about our ancestors were conquerers and how we have military supremacy but seems to forget we had the shit kicked out of us for centuries. I don't think he is anti other races btw, I just think he thinks there's something special about European people when the last few centuries have just been our turn in the sun
>>
File: 512593.1.jpg (151 KB, 900x600)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>9873553
what the FUCK kind of gloves!?!?!?
>>
KURVA BLYET
>>
>>9876964
Why is the mask associated with aurelian again?
>>
>>9867991
Ubisoft admitted it was "viking fantasy"
>>
>>9868022
Thas an Anglo-Saxon helmet?
>>
>>9872144
>And that's a good thing

How? Why? The loss of accurate history of one on the greatest and most accomplished European cultures while their memory is replaced by chimps is a good thing? Are you a complete haemorrhoid?
>>
>>9876333
>using greentext despite not actually quoting anything (or at least citing it)
>>
>>9877649
>Are you a complete haemorrhoid?
fukin lel clearly you are
>>
>>9869836
That's normal English, open a book zoomer.
>>
>>9874186
>And the Norse pantheon is made out of two separate groups, the Æsir and the Vanir
That's a point of contention I believe. There's no first hand sources that spell out a difference between those referred to as Æsir and those referred to as Vanir and they may just be synonyms used to fit better into poetic stanzas.
The difference may be that one is a "god" and the other is a "deity"
>>
>>9874452
See I would prefer to see something like this.
why is there no wriest guard in the shield? Must have felt heavier to hold it entirely by the hand
>>
>>9868384
The minute you bring up your ancestor larp, you immediately out yourself as some kind of counter culture far right extremist.
>>
>>9876333
>These ambiguous facial features mean that it is difficult to decide upon a Viking skeleton’s sex based on the skull alone. Therefore, other traits need to be studied in order to identify the sex of skeletons.
you mean they don't study the hip bones as well?
>>
>>9877374
Where's that from?
>>
>>9877771
braveheart
>>
>>9877236
>Ptolemies liked Red and Seleucids liked blue
Can I get a source for that? I'm fascinated by historical interpretation of colors.
>>
>>9877208
Make like your ancestors and convert to a superior religion you dumb fucking larper
>>
>>9877786
I researched it so long ago that i cant remember the specific sources but basically when you find artwork from both and especially art of a military nature theres a lot of red in ptolemaic sources and blue/silver in seleucid ones. Seleucids were also pretty big on their silve shield soldiers.
>>
>>9877771
Druzhina
>>
>>9877452
It's a cavalry officer mask (most likely ceremonial only) and Aurelian was a cavalry officer for most of his career.
>>
>>9877452
There's something about it's shape that gives a familiar WARM feeling. I bet more people think like me and we could start a following of some kind.
>>
>>9867991
was assassins creed ever accurate with its portrayal of history though?
>>
>>9868390
There are people who even believe that Finland is Scandinavian
>>
>>9868022
>Anglo saxon pride
>Legio Gloria, language of Latin Conquerors
>>
>>9872278
NOOOOOOO, MUH TREEE. NOW THE SKY WILL FALL CHRISTKEK!!
>>
File: 1590047931322.png (601 KB, 1104x1116)
601 KB
601 KB PNG
>>9868066
Fuck outta here, kikesucker
>>
>>9877887
outfit wise the first game kinda nailed the crusaders and saracens look as far as i know, and you can't really fuck up red/bluecoats like the ones in AC3, although if you can i would love to see it
>>
>>9870865
What are you talking about? That helmet looks pretty cool
>>
>>9867991
on the topic of vikings, how accurate is the idea of berserkers, we know berserk meant less going ape mode and more Bear-serk meaning bear shirt, is there any historical account of vikings going ape mode essentially or any other historical accounts of people taking drugs before battle, i know that during the philipinnes invasion by the US there were guys who took stuff and bandaged themselves up before battle so they'd bleed less and could keep charging but going insane like that in the middle of your allies seems like a shitty idea
>>
>>9877939
Vikangz converted to Christianity within a century, find better idols next time larper
>>
>>9875345
I don't think even Constantinople had such finely preserved roman architecture.
>>9876333
That show is stupid innacurate. Welsh=Romans (I think we literally saw Julius Caesar), Sweyn forkbeard being unremittant pagan, Cnut the great being a semi buddhist atheist after rejecting chrisitanity (even though he probably gave a massive boost to the christianization of denmark), also femboy, most vikings in the show were pagan danes,
>>
>>9875345
>besides there's hardly any written evidence from the time period and most of their artifacts have gone to dust already.
Not true for both
>>
>>9876964
>heroic
Nah, looks like a Boss
>>
>>9877206
Probably the better show out there, together with HBO Rome in terms of historical accuracy. Still dislike the modern german.
>>
>>9872278
Christcucks where literally the blm sjw woke left of the antiquity and your pic is a good example of it.
Fucking hate you faggots so much
>>
>>9877972
Really only in sagas. Roman described a furor teutonicus, but it was related to the whole population, not specific units. (Also the celts had similar traits but no units are ever mentioned in any of the sources).

Considering that they are only mentioned in the sagas, and how incompatible they would be with regular warfare, it makes no sense.

In a way, the only thing that can be closely related is if they were a sort of retinue for viking chiefs that would morf for example in the Rus as the Druzhina and bogatyr
>>
>>9878002
Well they dont know what ancient German was like, not enough to reconstruct the entire language anyway.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (117 KB, 1280x720)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>9878038
I mean shit they could have at least used Old High German. I mean in Italy they reconstructed proto latin to make this film about romulus and remus
>>
>>9875278
Usually the diamonds or squares in each quilt was hard packed with scrap wool or cotton, the same way that coif for under a helmet and modern Russian tanks helmet liner are made. Some coats of jack had disk of bone or horn inside each quilt. Greeks also used cloth armor impregnated with resins and a cross latched layers so it was like fiberglass the same as Jap paper and wood armor
>>
>>9878171
Im no kraut but wouldnt old high german make them all sound like noblemen or something.

Since i dont speak german i think it was fine.
>>
>>9868390
You forgot the map key for the smaller ones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_cross_flag
>>
>>9878183
But it would be like the romans speaking italian. MY IMMERSION. They sound like drunken hobos from the gas station in Bolzano.
>>
>>9878258
They dubbed them in a few other languages
>>
>>9868022
>dumbass tattoos all over his dyel body
>>
File: Harald.jpg (2.35 MB, 2560x1920)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
>>9868066
This desu
>Normans
>Varangian Guard
>Leif Erikson
>Harald Hardrada
>Rollo
>Harald Bluetooth
>Sweyn Forkbeard
>Cnut the Great
>Sigurd the Crusader
>Olaf Tryggvason
>Haakon the Good
>etc.
>>
>>9873064
>respect for the era
I’ll still play the game but there is literally none of that besides the environments
The writing is utter ass and an embarrassment
>>
>>9878005
cope
>>
>>9878689
Wrong
>>
>>9878861
Cope, p*gan.
>>
>>9878882
I'm a fundamentalist catholic but youre wrong and dumb, and also gay.
>>
>>9878912
What exactly is "wrong" about his list?
>>
>>9878932
Disproven by the Bible
>>
>>9868022
Why do nordcels look so soft? Is it because they’re adapted to cold weather so their bodies hold on to body fat more?
>>
>>9878974
.....Elaborate please?
>>
File: varg_kungfu.gif (3.7 MB, 480x267)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB GIF
>>9871903
we have not inherited Thulean from our ancestors.
We have borrowed it from our children.
>>
>>9868324
As far as I’m aware, this specific depiction of Vikings is a recent phenomenon spurred by Game of Thrones and then explicitly associated with vikings in tv shows like Vikings and The Last Kingdom. Yes, the exaggeration of the vikings’ barbaric appearance has existed for a long time, but this specific appearance with the edgy hairstyle, war paint, and mish mashed fur clothes is fairly new and everywhere at the moment
>>
File: 1600620456343[1].jpg (98 KB, 858x904)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>9876333
>its real
>>
>>9879035
I could kill this boy with one punch, pagans are pathetic.
>>
>>9867991
It's completely inaccurate but also understandable. The historical Vikings wouldn't be suitable as protagonists. They were vicious, barbarous savages who did nothing but loot, murder, enslave, and rape civilians who couldn't fight back. They rarely fought armies because they preferred hit-and-run tactics, so they fled to their ships at the first sight of an army. No one wants to play as immoral sea thieves.
>>
>>9877649
stop being anti-semitic please
>>
>>9868027
>helmets don’t look heroic or cool in movies
People with shitty taste like you are reason why heroic character dont wear helmets. But maybe it will change with how popular Mandalorian is
>>
>>9867991
Every day I wake up and realize larping as a pagan only brought actual fucking pagans to this site. Im sorry.
>>
>>9877915
this lmao

Like Saying aztec pride and Santiago a ellos!
>>
>>9879035
Varg is a complete pseud, he alternates between saying that the Greeks and Pagans are blond and blue-eyed, then saying they're filthy shitskins. Never ever evidences anything he says, that people take him seriously is embarassing.
>>
>>9879692
>Greeks and Pagans
*Greeks and Romans
>>
>>9869555
What show is that?
>>
>>9872155
Why not? Sounds like a better game.
>>
>>9879699
Memedalorian.
>>
>>9868022
>larping as both Saxons and Romans
Based
>>
>>9877345
You should watch Ryan Faulk's video 'The European Revolution'
>>
>>9873665
Imagine that you were a television producer. You could blow 3/5ths of the budget on expensive ass metal costumes and leave very little financial room for things like good actors and period accurate sets, or you could go down to the leatherworkers guild right there in Hollywood who will get you good enough costumes for 1/5th the price, and the actors like them a lot better because they’re significantly less heavy, and much easier to pull off stunts in
>>
>>9869555
The helmet literally is the character, and has always been
>>
>>9878689
normans are not vikings
Sigurd was a Crusader king not a viking
not all of the varangian guard were christian
>>
>>9873626
At least mine wont see me with a chopped off head goober
>>
>>9880465
bruh they were in Constantinople they had to at least pretend to be Christian on Easter (payday)
>>
>>9872278
>>9877935
>"I am a huge fucking retard and if what I am doing is wrong, then let the OLD GODS STRIKE ME DOWN!", Bonerface said and shook up his arms.
>Nothing happened, so he turned to the armed forces he had brought with him and shrugged and began to hack into the inanimate object.
>He felt so good about hacking down something that didn't fight back that his faggotry reached new heights, and soon he went to see the frisians.
>"Okay, show me your local things that can't fight back and .. wait, I don't have an army with me. S-Surely g-gg-g-g-god will protect me, r-right?"
>A 3 meters tall white-blonde frisian stepped forward, a single step made Boogerface's entire party scatter and run.
>The frisian raised his weapon and Bonerfuck's last words were...
>">754
>still worshipping tre-"
>>
File: 1606098243493.jpg (84 KB, 600x600)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>9878999
Nothing soft about /ourlad/
>>
>>9867991
Dungeons and dragons
>>
>>9881610
Boniface was murdered by bandits, it had nothing to do with him cutting the larp tree
>>
>>9868918
Imagine being such a retard that not only do you spend your time correcting other people's grammar but you do so incorrectly.
>>
File: 1604423871303.jpg (49 KB, 345x749)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>9877939
Fuck yo trees vikang
>>
File: laugh12.gif (3.6 MB, 376x376)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB GIF
>>9881610
>>
>>9870229
kek
>>
>>9874405
>The most stereotypical viking thing I remember from childhood is horned spangenhelm.
Genuine question here, what piece of entertainment media (not primarily educational media, entertainment) had vikings as you describe them? Sensibly armoured etc.
Most people are poorly informed and base their perception off pop culture which has always been furs and leather to my understanding.
>>
>>9878689
rollo straight up reverted to paganism on his death bed and had people sacrificed
>>
>>9877345
>we had the shit kicked out of us for centuries
never happened
>>
>>9877915
>>9879676
anglo saxons werent conquered by rome you historical illiterates, get off this board
>>
File: 9bvri.jpg (1.07 MB, 1280x1600)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>9876333
is this how the average viking looked?
>>
>>9877939
Cringe
>>
>>9877721
Almost all shields from the Ancient and Early Medieval period are boss gripped shields. The shields weren't that heavy and were likely relatively thin. During duels for example each man could bring three shields.
>>
>>9877863
I've always liked it, looks like the Sun God.
>>
>>9879692
I honestly am starting to suspect that it's not him that is running that Twitter account. It seemed weird to me that he even started using it in the first place. The last video he made kind of hinted at the fact that something was going on.
>>
>>9884072
He has posted verification so it has to be him unless someone killed him and took over the account
>>
>>9884098
What kind of verification?
>>
>>9877858
it is possible they saw some use in combat, since they found one in the Kalkriese battlefield
>>
File: Nord.png (1.02 MB, 533x791)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
You just need to stick to more historically accurate games, like Skyrim.
>>
>>9884140
Skyrim takes place on another planet.
>>
File: 220px-TutuCOP17.jpg (13 KB, 220x235)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>9870229
>>
>>9883272
wiki calls it a dubious anecdote. a claim made by one guy over a century after rollo's death
>>
File: large[2].jpg (681 KB, 2048x2048)
681 KB
681 KB JPG
>>9877915
>legio gloria
its the golden one's brand, its just about being proud of being european no specifically who conquered who
>>
File: 1596249275005.gif (442 KB, 157x300)
442 KB
442 KB GIF
>>9881610
>dis nigga worshipping some fucking timber
Boniface was based, look at those great ''''warriors''' cowering in fear at the sight of a monk with an axe
>>
>>9884613
see that's a cool shirt since i love byzantine stuff (even if that eagle's more associated with the orthodox church these days), but i feel like the black sun in the middle would get me some odd looks/bans from places after someone inevitably tells the manager what it means
>>
>>9868022
Nice beard, dude.
>>
>>9878999
because they take SS+GOMAD seriously for some reason and apparently going on a cut ''kills your gains bro, im lifting for strenght not looks''
>>
>>9884613
ah ok.
>>
>>9884626
>Noooo, Charlemagne brother!!!! Don't Cut Down Irminsul!!! PLEASE! THOR IS GOING TO BE MAD PLEASE!!!!

Why doesn't thor help his warrior beat the christian but allows the Badass Franks To conquer EVROPA

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.