[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1_6fKCi-mrlM7HU8b2BgNaJg.png (1.5 MB, 3597x2581)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
Why was the Ottoman empire so powerful yet never produced anything noteworthy in science or arts?
>>
>>9174958
It lasted a very short amount of time
>>
>>9174958
Its heyday was too short, Sultans didnt care about expanding science/arts dramatically, I mean they owned Constantinople, wasnt that enough?
>>
>>9174993
It lasted for a few centuries.
>>
>>9174993
It lasted for over five centuries.
>>
Who says they never produced anything noteworthy in science or art? Are you an expert on the subject? I heard they built bridges across the danube which the serbs blew up and some pretty nice buildings in Istanbul. You must be another mutherfucking white piece of shit. 4chan is full of computer geek losers. So is quora but a little more pc now. You assholes computer geeks should stay away from history. You arent even at 12th grade level. I got banned yesterday for calling catholic priests pedophile buts okay to post this shit and say muhmmad is pedophile and other islamophobic crap every single day. I want to shit in your face and blow up western europe and America into a million pieces.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_and_technology_in_the_Ottoman_Empire
>>
>>9174958
1. Best culture ever. All the hipster bohos are stealing it cuz it’s so comfy.
2. Best food ever. All the successor Gayreeks and shit steal it because it’s so comfy and the West teaches it as ideal cuisine for health.
3. Origin of enlightenment liberal philosophy due to the enhanced understanding of steppe egalitarianism which was retained in ottoman legal code.
4. Origin of european scientific revolution through anti traditional sabbataeanism pushed by ottoman secret police.
5. Origin of Protestantism pushed by ottoman intelligence.
6. Enslaved white people and taught them about capital intensive processes like slavery and this is the origin of capitalism.
>>
>>9175289
this entire post
lmfao
>>
Turquoise comes from Turks.
>>
>>9175279
Muhammad was a pedophile, and few catholic priests are that.
>>
>>9175286
Absolute meme list holy shit
>>
Ottoman culture has influenced everything from North Africa to the Balkans, Turkish cuisine standardized by the Ottomans is some of the most popular in the world, they rebuilt Constantinople into a global city center, mosques and universities were build all around the empire with some of the best architecture in Islamic history. I really don’t know why you faggots push this meme that the Ottomans had no cultural or artistic influence, it’s just blatantly ahistorical and demonstrably untrue given how much they influenced the world for 600 years. Science is the only thing you got them at, but Western Europe was the only place in the world that harnessed the innovations of science and technology. The ottomans weren’t unique in not catching up to them
>>
>>9175379
>Turkish cuisine standardized by the Ottomans is some of the most popular in the world,
What are you even talking about?
>>
>>9174958
They had decent art. Science, philosophy and other intellectual pursuits were not very developped
>>
Ottoman classical music is good and so is there artwork/furniture/architecture.
>>
Actually that said, didn't some famous muslim author say that the turkish were unique for their lack of creativity in the arts?
I think he was comparing them to the arabs and persians.
>>
>>9175345
You would know. You were an alterboy and so was your dad and grandfather. Mum is the word after singing that hymm and going into that little room.
>>
>>9174958
I guess it really was the successor to Rome
>>
>>9175444
You’d have to be a poof to like ottoman furniture
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (137 KB, 1280x720)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>blocks your path
>>
>>9175379
>they rebuilt Constantinople into a global city center
After tearing it to the ground.
>>
>>9175428
Ever been to Germany or Switzerland? most students live on that shit
>>
>>9175379
I mean, as a Bulgarian I can tell you they've influenced next to nothing except a couple of loan words.
>Turkish cuisine standardized by the Ottomans is some of the most popular in the world,
Source on that?
>they rebuilt Constantinople into a global city center
No, they really didn't. All the former buildings were there, at most you can say they copied ERE architecture. But they didn't really built shit.
>mosques and universities were build all around the empire with some of the best architecture in Islamic history
Mosques? Yeah. But name one university or architectural marvel from the Ottomans.
>I really don’t know why you faggots push this meme that the Ottomans had no cultural or artistic influence
Because it literally didn't. They were more backwards than the Mongols even.
>given how much they influenced the world for 600 years.
through their military conquests, not through architecture, art, science or anything in that vein.
>Science is the only thing you got them at
kek.
>>
>>9175428
Kebabs
>>
>>9175118
and England and France have lasted more than a millennium
>>
>>9175935
>>9175997
But kebab is really just meat in bread. That's like saying the japanese cuisine is impressive because of sushi.
>>
>>9176028
As a dynastic polity, Ottoman Empire lasted longer than any other european power. Also as a state as such, it dates from 209BCE.
>>
>>9176044
Turkish cuisine is what everyone eats between Budapest and New Delhi and Rabat and Kazan.
>>
>>9176130
The Turks were not even in Anatolia in 209BCE
>>
>>9174993
The Athenian democracy lasted even less, but every intellectual of every age gives blowjobs to Aristotle or Plano, or the Sophists, or or or..
Consider, maybe, that Turks and turkified whatevers liked and still like pillaging, fucking,eating and other menial deeds.
>>
>>9174958
There is shitload of poetry, music and architecture from the ottoman empire though. The ottomans even used music to treat mental illnesses.
>>
>>9175289
can understand the KARA BOGA meme, turks are the original we wuzzers
>>
>>9176147
What is turkish cuisine (besides kebab)?
>>
>>9174958
because islam is utter and complete shit
>>
>>9174958
The Ottoman Empire was always struggling with funds once the Portuguese made it around Africa. The Ottomans had a huge empire that made no money and that they had to pay to defend. Between the military and the corruption of court life there was very little tax money left to spend on science or improving the arts.
>>
>>9176130
>As a dynastic polity, Ottoman Empire lasted longer than any other european power. Also as a state as such, it dates from 209BCE.
That's the most retarded statement I've ever seen. Xiongnu were proto-altaic. The first true turkic polity was the Gokturk khanate established in 552 A. D.
>>
Wikipedia is a bit strange, they aren't really giving any names or namedropping any inventions. The university of istanbul seem to have made some headway in optics, publishing "Book of the Light of the Pupil of Vision", which I am grateful of as a near-sighted untermench.
>>
>>9174958
The only thing I remember is that Ottomans had proto-vaccination methods back in the 1700s which some British noblewoman wrote about but I can't remember much more. They also recently discovered that the Ottomans had some fuckhuge trading ships to go to China when it was previously assumed that they didn't, so that's something.

The best explanation is that they simply didn't give a shit. There were several attempts to kickstart scientific progress in the Ottoman Empire back after they took Constantinople, like commissioning the building of the biggest observatory in the world and then tearing it down after the Sultan threw a temper tantrum, some Arab scientist writing a book on steam technology years before it really took off in Europe and LEONARDO MOTHERFUCKING DA VINCI offering to work for the Sultan at one point but never getting a response back so he went to work for some other wealthy Italian patron.

They had every opportunity to make their mark there but they were too obsessed with building useless mosques everywhere and focusing on their military too much.

>>9175899
Nah, it was a barely functional shithole for two centuries before the Ottomans blew its walls down.
>>
While it had some achievements during some specific intervals regarding architecture, weapons or culture, these were rather modest for an empire of that size and duration, and they fell behind the rest of Europe.
Like >>9177727 said the economic and geopolitical factors mattered. That's why much smaller nations in Western Europe, like the Netherlands had many more achievements relative to their size.
>>
File: 4376_1.jpg (53 KB, 436x631)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>9175289
best post on /his/
>>
>>9177649
>>9177649
Yeah, and the poles didnt invent anything. Neither did anybody else in eastern europe but they like to bash Turks. Why dont you go back to racist home school camo come up with something that makes sense?
>>
>>9175118
The Byzantines literally lasted 1000 yet no one cares about them, 500 years is nothing
>>
>>9177984
>Yeah, and the poles didnt invent anything
Copernicus and Marie Curie were polish. That's already better than everything the Ottomans accomplished.
>>
>>9175279
Why are Muslims so fragile? You are so soft the western states and jewtune has to censor shit to protect your feelings, is it an ingrained inferiority complex?
>>
>>9175289
Bad bait
>>
>>9178016
>Marie Curie
she literally stole the spotlight from her French husband
>>
>>9175379
Muh muh muh cuisine. I would expect this argument from a fucking Mexican holy shit, no one cares. Also why do roaches have to bring Greeks up every time they talk, we get it you are both subhumans, my Anglo ancestors had to a keep your shit and retrograde empire afloat from getting absolutely btfo’d by Russia. Subhuman
>>
>>9175488
Didn’t ottoman sultans fuck little Greek twinks? Mehmed II had a young Greek sex slave
>>
>>9174958
Scientists and artists produce to try to attract the attention of women so they can have sex. Ottomans were all gay, so there was no need to have artistic or scientific innovation.
>>
>>9174993
Germany is not even 200 year old but they have had lots of scientists and that kind of shit
>>
>>9176130
Holy shit, is this what Ergo teaches you at school? So you guys believe you have always lived in Anatolia. Ahahahahhahahahhahahahah. Holy shit Turks are fucking stupid, take a dna test
>>
>>9178073
Wasn't Vlad Tepes supposed to be/was one of his twink sex slaves?
>>
>>9177817
Lol 4 unis in my local state of Melbourne Victoria are ranked higher than instanbul uni, how embarrassing is that. My uni (uniMelb) is 40th, instanbul uni is 500th. a literal who the fuck cares uni
>>
>>9178016
>copernicus
>polish

LMAO.
>>
>>9174958
Because of Islam. Once Turks threw off that cancerous religion, we started getting innovators and notable contributors in fields of medicine, neuroscience, physics, music, literature, etc. Granted, they all immigrated to USA because Turkey barely hangs on as is with the country's shit economy but they do have brains.
>>
>>9177984
>Turk calling someone else racists.
This is why I hate you cringe cunts. You are like niggers, as soon as anyone criticises you, you play the race card or Islam card. But it’s ok for you to genocide Armenians and mock Slavs/Greeks for shit you were not even alive to do. you fill every historical discussion with your turkoid fragility, where even a slight criticism of your backwards culture and retarded religion, muh muh racisms muh islamaphobia

Attaturk himself knew how behind and pathetic the ottomans were and how retrograde Islam is, he literally changed your language banned the caliphate and made Hagia Sophia into a Museum. He tried to westernise you scum. How embarrassing is that knowing a historical figure you venerate tried to westernise himself, because deep down he knew the ottomans were inferior to the west, “dead man of Europe”

> 350 years in constant decline
>>
File: 1484688271788s.jpg (4 KB, 125x116)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>9178160
>How embarrassing is that knowing a historical figure you venerate tried to westernise himself, because deep down he knew the ottomans were inferior to the west, “dead man of Europe”
ouch anon, no need to kick the literal dead body of the Osmanslaves
>>
>>9175510
>I guess it really was the successor to Rome

This, the Byzantines didn’t accomplish much in the way of novelty either. The Eastern Mediterranean was spent.
>>
>>9178189
Read a book
>>
>>9178160
Sweet fucking based
>>
>>9174958
Shit culture.
>>
>>9178189
>This, the Byzantines didn’t accomplish much in the way of novelty either
kek
>>
>>9178428
>"Solomon, I have outdone you" - Justinian the First
>>
>>9174958
They did though. For a time there a was a rich Persianate culture stretching from Bengal to Adrianople where science and literature flourished
>>
>>9178428
>ruins Italy
>blames it on Goths against all reason
>gets cucked by Germanics, ones that actually hate Rome and Roman culture unlike Goths
>loses Italy
>loses the Balkans, Greece and Anatolia
Truly impressive. The shining light of the West I reckon.
>>
>>9178540
Italy became a shithole the moment it depended on North Africa for food.
It was just asking for total demographic collapse then.
>>
>>9178559
>Italy became a shithole the moment it depended on North Africa for food.
So basically Republican Rome?
>>
>>9178540
Annddddd still more culturally impressive than Turks

>Inb4 Muh Cuisine (meat wrapped with a carbohydrate)
>>
>>9178189
We can all thank gibbon for so many brainlets having this absolutely retarded take, don’t you find it funny how the “Islamic golden age” started as soon as the arabs got their hands on bzayntine manuscripts and translations

Hmmm I really wonder why? Massive Mystery to me
>>
>>9178616
Well, that's a given anon.
>>
>>9178540
>losses the Balkans Greece and Anatolia

They lasted for 1000 years...... the ottomans only lasted for what? 600.

I could literally use your logic against you. The ottomans lost the Middle East, Greece the Balkans, North Africa the Caucasus, Hungary

In less than 600 years. So using your logic the Byzantines performed better than them on a macro level. KEK
>>
>>9174958
Why you show that bait map? This is true map of turk greatness
>>
You don't have a wide-spanning empire for more than 600 years and not foster science and tech. The Ottomans were the first-rank in adapting and streamlining gunpowder (particularly siege cannons). Ottoman science from the 15th centuries to arguably the mid-17th century was what allowed them to face multiple rivals on all fronts whether Safavid, Hapsburg, Bulgarian, Hungarian, etc. AND command an empire that straddled the trade routes on 3 continents.

I get the Ottomans get a lot of hate here, but you can't deny that a band of herdsmen conquered the remnants of the Byzantine Empire and became the Muslim power that terrified Central Europe because of its conquests and raids in the Balkans.
>>
>>9177647
Nougat?
>>
File: 1587792590672.jpg (40 KB, 434x393)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>cariye
>>
>>9175286
wow
that article is bad even by Wiki standards lol
>>
>>9175279
Instead of crying like the turkish bitch you are, post some noteworthy ottoman intellectual to shut us up. Until then spread your cheeks and take it
>>
>>9174958
This entire thread will be turkroaches with the following answers:
1. Kara boga
2. We had gud food
3. Word "x" has turkish origins
>>
most of the best leaders/generals/viziers/sultans in ottoman history were of Europid genetic stock. The "true" turkic populations (normadic populations in anatolia) were held in disdain for the most part
>>
>>9175279
yikes.
this faggot got FILTERED hard lol
>>
>>9177984
"Poland" is a recent thing, dumb roach.
It used to be Prussia, which was a center of human development.
>>
>>9174958
they were the most advanced people on the planet throughout their whole existence, it's just all their knowledge got burned while the turks fucked each other in the ass in a giant circle around the burning wreckage
>>
>>9178885
The Seljuks conquered parts of the byzantine empire after fighting arabs for 400 plus years and holding them off. And you only took Constantinople because the crusaders sacked the Byzantines in 1204 and for ever put them on life support.
>>
>>9178885
You also only beat a bunch of shitty Slavs and Greeks who were already on their last legs and backward Muslim states, for the first 200 years you were good but as soon as your conquests stoped when white man btfo’d you at Vienna you were in a constant decline, during that time your provided literally nothing to the world except make Bosnia and Albanians Muslims lol. You were also only kept alive because the British and the French wanted a bulwark against tsarist Russia, very similar to how America uses you today against the prior soviets and the Russians, cope
>>
>>9175279
>blow up western europe and America into a million pieces.
You're living up to the stereotype, you subhuman.
>>
>>9179835
How is it bad?
>>
File: Levni_mehter.jpg (450 KB, 751x569)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
t. didn't study music.

Ottomans were quite influential in 14th and 16th century Instrumental Music considering they fucking invented the idea of a military marching band. Before them, although musical instruments were used in warfare they were only used to play signals. Like "3 toots = advance, one long toot = charge", shit like that.

What the Ottomans did far differently was to create fullblown musical compositions as battlefield signals and other military maneuvers such as parades, executions, entrance to a captured city, and even retreats. To increase the esprit de corps of the military, they even created musical themes to announce the arrival on the field of either an elite troop, a famous commander, or the Sultan himself. Finally, because these compositions are important in signalling & morale purposes, they needed an organized group of musicians to play them, and with military backgrounds to boot. As such, the signal corps of the
Ottoman Army contained the Mehter Band, who played all these marching compositions via a standardized repertoire. As they are a standing military formation dedicated to play musical marching compositions, they are the first military marching bands in history.

In fact, in the 15th century, the concept of playing compositions in battle was particularly terrifying to Europeans because it seemed that the Ottomans weren't taking them seriously as they brought musicians on the battlefield. Nevertheless European artists were entranced with Ottoman Mehter Marches that by the late 16th century the Europeans were influenced by these developments and founded military bands themselves: their ottoman influences evident in the use of kettledrums and certain marching melodies lifted from Mehter music. Basically the genesis of European marching music and marching music as a genre in general.
>>
>>9177647
Why are people so retarded and ignorant on this board?
>>
>>9181734
Sorry, no one really care about Turkish "cuisine".
>>
>>9174993
Underrated

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.