[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Are the Chinese fucking retarded or something? Literally invent the fork, but they are like "nah, noodles are easier to eat with fucking sticks"
>>
They genuinely are. Anyone that knows how to use chopsticks know how comfortable they are overall
>>
>>14235124
I don't have a remotely hard time eating with chopsticks. I'm sorry that your barebones deregulated educational system has left you with the motor skills of a 5 year old
>>
>>14235126
>>14235129
whats with the midwits on this board purposely being obtuse to deny forks are easier for a noodle/rice diet than chop sticks? No other culture in the world adopted sticks for eating
>>
>>14235135
chopsticks are cheaper to manufacture, easier to distribute, and require minimal training to use for a naturally high IQ society like east asia
>>
>>14235135
Chopsticks are very practical once you learn how to use it, you may have shitty fine motor skills tbqh, i mean they take a bit to learn to use but are very practical and good to manipulate food once you do
>>
Chopsticks have some actual benefits but a big reason that east Asians use them is just for the sake of identity.
>>
>>14235124
sticks are easier to make than forks
>>
>>14235141
well thats for a real and plausible answer after I had to pull some teeth to get it out of you.
>>
Rice based cultures generally relied on chopsticks
Easier to pick up clumps of rice and stray rice kernals
More civilized than hand eaters
>>
During one of the early dynasties (iirc ~ 860 or so) the rise of artistically lacquered vessels in China meant that serving ware often held a pride of place as a sign of wealth for households. However, as the finish was still relatively soft as opposed to the modern fired ceramics we serve food on, they abandoned utensils that could scratch the surface and adopted chopsticks instead which were less likely to damage the intricate and delicate bowls. When the rich adopted these measures the middle class followed and eventually became the cultural standard.

There's your answer, now stop making these threads.
>>
>>14235153
You eat with right hand because you wipe with the left, but 20% of the population is probably left handed... I wonder how they handle this info.
>>
>>14235168
>I wonder how they handle this info
They're expected to just deal with it
>>
>>14235153
North India uses bread as well, though that's technically hand-eating.
>>
>>14235153
tajikistan and kyrgyztsan use chopsticks?
>>
>>14235248
Tajik, Kazakhs and Kyrgyz don't. Only Hui people in Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan use it.
>>
>>14235124
One of the most important functions of chopsticks is that they can hold things in a way that a fork cannot. Try eating tofu with a fork. Of course, as far as I know, chopsticks were not very popular in classical China, and people before the Zhou Dynasty usually used hands/knives and forks.
>>
>>14235141
so china is poor.
>>
Idiots.
We decided to use chopsticks because we believed it's more sophisticated and civilized.
Something barbarians won't get
>>
>>14235135
>placing metal on your tongue
"Wow this is so much easier guise"
>>
Clearly you're meant to move beyond the fork. But barbaniggers forgot the memo it seems.
>>
>>14235326
As of the last three centuries or so, yes. Other than that, it’s always been more convenient for noodles.
>>
>>14235163
That's actually an interesting answer, good job anon.
>>
>>14235153
india is a rice based culture, it's even easier to pick up stray kernels with god's fork when you don't eat revolting sticky rice varieties
>>
>>14235163

Hmm interesting anon I'll have to look this up. Thank you for sharing this with us.
>>
>>14235124
Chopsticks are like eating with hands but not needing to touch the food.

>>14235146
>you may have shitty fine motor skills tbqh
My friend's grandma has the shakes she STILL can use them well.
>>
>>14235163
thanks
>>
>>14235372
>touching your mouth with your eating utensils
I never thought it could be hard to eat with silverware, but now I understand why Panjeets make these weird, loud metal-on-tooth noises when trying to eat like people
>>
>>14235141
I wonder how the cumulative cost saved on manufacturing billions of chopsticks vs forks works out, especially as forms are usually made from stainless steel, and chopsticks from bamboo.
>>14235326
Imagine the economy of scale difference, they could be far far poorer if they used forks.
>>
>>14235163
From there you could also imply levels of society and education from how someone used their chopstick. A little like how if someone holds their fork like a scoop and don't use a knife they're typically low class.
>>
>>14235153
>Rice based cultures generally relied on chopsticks

Southeast Asia never used chopsticks. Bengal never used chopsticks. The same is true for other parts of Asia (outside of East Asia and Vietnam) with long histories of rice consumption.

Any use of chopsticks in SEA today is due to modern Chinese emigration (and late medieval and early modern Viet expansion). You can't even use chopsticks properly for all varieties of rice, only the sticky ones.

>>14235168
>>14235172
More often then not, they'll do most work with their left hand but eating food is when they use their right hand. That's pretty common in societies where direct hand eating is the norm.
>>
>>14235372
You even admitted using chopsticks required some motor skills here >>14235129
>>14235146
But now youre just being obtuse and pretending forks arent easier to use now? Which is it?
>>
>>14235163
Thats absolutely retardee. Chopsticks as mentioned before are easier to make so how would that be a sign of wealth? I get china was always a poor dumphole but good god get it together if that was their standards for wealth
>>
>>14235129
The educated system is too regulated if anything at least in favor of lgbtq propaganda
>>
>>14235141
>asia
>high iq
Pick one and only one
>>
>>14235129
I dont eat chink shit like rats and bats so theres no reason for me to have much less use chopsticks
>>
>>14235135
I've never seen anyone eat rice with a fork before, though if I do I'd call them a retard.
>>
>>14235752
>Chopsticks as mentioned before are easier
Materials can vary. There are ones out of materials like ivory if you want to pay up for it.
>>
>>14235752
It's also a sign of sophistication. Any idiot can stab their food with a fork, but can they manipulate it with two wooden sticks held in one hand?
>>
File: 1664305890014308.jpg (221 KB, 750x565)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
>non-white person: eats food
>cracker: breaks down into seething rage
>>
>>14235135
It’s just usual ethnic cope
>>
>>14235882
Is the "cracker" in the room with us right now?
>>
>>14235135
oriental fetishization
muh chinese cartoons, etc.
>>
>>14235924
Well seeing how it’s 4chan? Probably not
>>
>>14235752

>machine-made bamboo chopsticks created by the billion via the modern economy of scale

Vs

>Handmade individual sets made of bone, ivory or wood and created by craftsmen in an art still in practice today in modern China

Historical bruh moment
>>
>>14235326
Yes
>cultivation of rice results in a massive population
>large population growth means resources used for energy becomes expensive
>food is chop up in advanced to save on cooking time
>no knives are needed at the table, only chop sticks.
>>
>>14235129
>>14235141
Then explain why Koreans adopted spoons for rice immediately upon prolonged contact with Americans (civilized society)?
>>
>>14235368
ohrrr orrkay me so showwy
>>
File: japan food.jpg (320 KB, 1200x1200)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>14235767
Japan had a mass culture purge in the meiji period.

https://desuarchive.org/his/thread/12220486/#q12222933

Meat from domesticated animals was banned in Japan (except for sea foods and wild meat like wild dogs).

Meat began to promoted during the Meiji period because the government believed that it would give soldiers big and robust bodies like the Westerners. It was during this period that many iconic Japanese dishes like Tonkatsu were created. Tonkatsu was created because beef was made special priority for Meiji soldiers, so commoners had to use pork to make the dish.

Over half of Han Chinese don't cremate and blatantly violate communist party laws against burial because Chinese culture is against cremation.

99% of South Koreans and Japanese cremate their dead which violates Confucianism.

Japanese eating dog, cat and monkey meat before the 1800s.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ppll3L_9fAsC&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q&f=false
Koreans and Vietnamese roast dogs.

>>12325759
>>12325764
>>12325773
>>12325779
>>12325785
>>12325798
>>12325804

>>12325846
>>12325853
>>12325860

Vietnamese are the ones who eat rats and bats as part of their national dishes.

The only people in China who eat cats, rats and bats are far southern provinces bordering Vietnam like Guangxi and Guangdong.

Meanwhile ALL Koreans and Vietnamese eat cat and dogs and ALL Vietnamese eat rats and bats.

Mongols and Kazakhs eat raw marmot which is how they spread bubonic plague. a Kazakh couple in Mongolia died of black death after eating raw marmot organs.

Japanese before the 1800s ate cats and dogs.
>>
What set off chinkspammer today
>>
File: chopsticks.jpg (11 KB, 350x250)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>14235124
Why do chopsticks trigger westroons so much? This topic triggers seetheposts on /int/ as well.

Its as silly as getting mad with people using a fork. What do you care?
>>
>>14235141
Live leak disagree
>>
File: chairs.png (76 KB, 507x235)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>14235153
Chopstick chads and fork frens must unite against the floor-sitting hand eaters.
>>
>>14238751
The only ones i see triggered are the midwits itt gloating about using a pair of sticks as if it means anything.
>>
>China destroyed its culture
>Why do they use chopsticks
>Why don't they adopt latin characters
It really do be like that
>>
>>14238967
Wrong, dumb weeb.

Japan lost ALL of its culture after the Meiji restoration, except its culture of prostituting their own girls to foreigners.

https://desuarchive.org/his/thread/13974786/#q13977995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_castle#Meiji_Restoration

>All castles, along with the feudal domains themselves, were turned over to the Meiji government in the 1871 abolition of the han system. During the Meiji Restoration, these castles were viewed as symbols of the previous ruling elite, and nearly 2,000 castles were dismantled or destroyed. Others were simply abandoned and eventually fell into disrepair.[14]

>By the 1920s, nationalism was on the rise, and a new pride was found in the castles, which became symbols of Japan's warrior traditions.[19] With new advances in construction, some of the previously destroyed castles were re-built quickly and cheaply with steel-reinforced concrete, such as the main tower of Osaka Castle, which was first re-built in 1928.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinbutsu_bunri

>This order triggered the haibutsu kishaku, a violent anti-Buddhist movement that caused the forcible closure of thousands of temples, the confiscation of their land, the forced return of many monks to lay life or their transformation into Shinto priests, and the destruction of numerous books, statues and other Buddhist artefacts.[2][4] Even bronze bells were melted down to make cannons.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hait%C5%8D_Edict
https://theskepticalsamurai.wordpress.com/tag/dampatsurei-edict/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_tax_riots
>>
File: file.png (3.11 MB, 1920x1193)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB PNG
This is their """"pillows"""" back then. I'm not kidding they actually sleep on these and consider it a sign of status to sleep on these.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillow#Ancient_China
European peasants sleeping on straws pillows sleep better than their aristocrats
>>
>>14238936
>Bitch about chopsticks.
>"Why are you too dumb to use them?"
>NO DEY GLOATING!
>>
Chinkspammer tranny is dilating rn
>>
>>14235124
that's a lie, the fork was invented by the germanics

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.