[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

What is the most prestigious language?
>>
Chinese
>>
>>13984586
Hindi or Cantonese
>>
>>13984586
Classical Arabic
>>
Well these days if you don't speak English you are not able to get a good job. End of story.

It's your native language (increasingly useless), English (for anything relevant). Any 3rd language is always a hobby - rarely used because the person you practise with can speak English anyway like anyone with an education can.

I suppose speaking a language other than English will be useful for another 20 years or so as people over the age of 50 can struggle with English, but they will be dead soon.
>>
>>13984586
Java
Pythonbabies need not to speak
>>
>>13984608
t. Angloid that never went to a foreign country

In most of Western Europe and East Asia English is practically useless, you can do whatever job you want in your native language. English is only necessary in thirdoids countries because they didn't bother reforming and using their own languages after colonization.
>>
>>13984696
>Western Europe
uh... its not 1990 anymore. Everyone under 30 in France and Spain can speak English pretty well now. Hits 90%+ can speak it in Germany, 95%+ in Netherlands/Nordics. So what are you on about?

> East Asia
Everyone in China must pass a pretty hard English test to even enter university. They have no other language requirements, ONLY english.
>>
>>13984586
Dutch
Beter onthoud je dat
>>
>>13984586
Romanian.
>>
>>13984700
I didn't say that people don't speak English, I said they don't need it. I was answering to this:
>Well these days if you don't speak English you are not able to get a good job. End of story.
Which is completely false in Western Europe and East Asia. You can practically do any job you want without knowing English or by knowing a little English for specific fields.

>Everyone in China must pass a pretty hard English test to even enter university. They have no other language requirements, ONLY english.

They don't actually need English in their future work, it's just a way among others to filter students and I'm pretty sure they won't be rejected because of a bad mark in English. In Western Europe (France/Belgium to be precise, but I know it's very similar in neighboring countries) English is also a subject in final secondary exams but it doesn't matter because universities will only look at your marks in relevant subjects (like math/physics/chemistry if you're getting into engineering) or they will hold their own entry exams that don't include English at all.
>>
Sanskrit
>>
>>13984726
>Which is completely false in Western Europe and East Asia.

Good luck getting a job in any tech/software/marketing, well, any field at all, without speaking English. All conferences are in English. All industry events will be in English. The idea that someone could be successful in any high-paying field these days without speaking English is frankly laughable.

Look at NetworkX, look at Fyuz, look at MWC. They are all hosted in non-native English areas of Europe and are ALL IN ENGLISH.
>>
>>13984586
Fusha Arabic for sure.
>>
>>13984696
English is even more necessary now.
>>
File: english.jpg (78 KB, 499x499)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>13984586
English
>>
>>13984586
russian
>>
>>13984586
latin
>>
>>13984586
Sanskrit or Latin

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.