[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: t9PmzbV.jpg (77 KB, 720x368)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Is he right ?
>>
>>13984534
Nah. What he considers "heroes" were people who go around killing and stealing shits. Literal subhuman behavior
>>
>>13984534
wasn't beowulf written by christian monks?
>>
>>13984547
Its implied that it was a Pagan myth in the origin but was reworked by christian monks
>>13984541
He is more talking about dragon slayers and warriors
>>
>>13984547
The legend itself is older than the christianization of Scandinavia. However the one who avtually bothered to write it down was a Christian
>>
>>13984534
>>13984547
>>13984554

This quote wasn’t in the actual Beowulf. The quote in OP’s pic comes from the animated Beowulf film, which was written by Neil Gaiman.

No Christian monk would have written something like that obviously.

OP has obviously never read Beowulf.
>>
>>13984584
I know thats only from the movie you retard
>>
>>13984554
That’s not necessarily true. Scholars have actually concluded that the epic poem Beowulf is written in such a way that to remove the Christian elements from the story would completely ruin it, so the Christian elements are intrinsic to the poem. They’re not merely later added on or something.
>>
>>13984553
Vikangs weren’t dragon slayers. They just liked to steal and beat up unarmed monks and run away.

In fact reading Christian sources on the real contemporary Vikings and you would be hard pressed to find any admiration for them. King Alfred’s brother had a descendant named Æthelweard who become a historian and he constantly calls Vikings dishonourable, not heroic or brave.
>>
>>13984594
Maybe it was just shit in the OG version
>>
>>13984594
Which Christian elements that are so intrinsic to be completely unremovable? The only christian element that comes to my mind is about Grendel and his mother being Cain's descendants, something that could easily be tacked on later
>>
>>13984614
Again the reddit contrarian meme
Vikings werent invicible demi gods like all people think but they werent retards who couldnt fight either
They founded Normandy and Russia, they were great fighters like the varangian guard, they raided all over Europe, some parts of persia and north africa, destroyed the khazar khanate and destroying armies in persia during their raids from the caspian sea
Their descendants, the normans were known to be great fighters too

I dont know why people overeact in the opposite direction when they find something is not true

Also this thread is even about vikings you retarded faggot
Beowulf is about geats and danes, not every scandinavian is a viking
>>
>>13984626
Isnt even about vikings*
>>
>>13984614
Beowulf wasn't a Viking, this story predates Vikings. This shitty script was written by a jew who hates Europe, Christianity and expresses it by perverting pre-Christian mythology.
>>
>>13984626
> They founded Normandy

They were just Christian lapdogs
>>
>>13984637
I think the guy who wrote beowulf was more trying to praise Goths and associates Geats with being the original Goths.
>>
>>13984643
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mortemer
>>
>>13984637.
Surprised you didn't say (((writer))) or (((merchant))) or what have you. It is quicker to just type Jew, though. Guy's just trying to write stuff that he thinks sells well. Vikings and poking fun at Christians sold well in the 00s. Not everything is about trying to destroy the West.
Also, the story doesn't predate the Viking age. It fits right in with them But it was written by a Saxon, not a Scandinavian.
>>
>>13984646
I’ve also wondered why did the original Beowulf author focus on early Geats out of all people? I’m guessing it’s because the Goths had a heroic and almost romantic reputation among Germanic people because of the migration era.

> Shami Ghosh remarks that Germanic heroic legend is unique in that it is not preserved among the peoples who originated it (mainly Burgundians and Goths)
>>
>>13984658
A sizable part of western european noblity if not the major part had ties to the goths, so probably that
>>
>>13984655
No retard. The Viking Age started in 790's AD, the story of Beowulf takes place in the 6th or 7th century depending on which school of thought you subscribe to. Even the film got this much right.
>hurr durr he didn't mean nothin
Gaiman (gay man) is a hack you dolt. Don't misinterpret what I said as lowly antisemitism. My antisemitism is quite refined. He not only misunderstood the point of the story and shoehorned a misplaced sense of continuity into his script, but he botched the genuinely pagan elements of the story. One jew, I forget his name, published a great translation of Beowulf so I'm not saying it's beyond you as a people. Just Gaiman.
>>
>>13984688
The story was written down during the same era as Viking activity. It was most likely always a Christian story, possibly adapted from earlier Dane legends. It's what people do quite often; they adapt stories. Gaiman just did another adaptation. Even translations into modern English are adaptations. Some are more out there than others. Beowulf was adapted into a sci fi epic in the 90s. Is that also an attack on Western values? What about a translation that changes the meter but attempts to keep the meaning of the words? What about one that keeps the meter at the expense of the exact meaning? Are any of those an attack on Western values?
Regardless of what you think about Gaiman, he's still a successful author. Lots of people gobble up his work. Most of them aren't Jews. Is every person who buys his works attacking Western values? I'm sure the Jews appreciate that you think your antisemitism is sophisticated. I'm sure they'd accept whatever you want to do to them because you think it's high brow.
>>
>>13984688
Yeah the animated Beowulf was just odd. Why was their a monk and people talking about Christians in 6th century Götaland? The original Beowulf merely portrays the Geats as believing in some kind of monotheistic God, but Christ or Christians are never actually mentioned by the Geats.
>>
>>13984738
I think it’s more the fact that they have increasingly found evidence that Beowulf was very likely the work of a single author instead of multiple authors, which would have implied it was taken from pagan poets if that was the case.

> In the 19th century, the prevailing view among academics was that the poem must be the work of multiple authors. It wasn’t until the early 20th century that another author — one whose name is all but synonymous with epic storytelling — began to challenge that idea. His name? J.R.R. Tolkien.

> “Tolkien was one of the greatest champions of single authorship,” Krieger said. “He was a very prominent ‘Beowulf’ scholar, and in 1936 he wrote a landmark piece, ‘Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics,’ that really revived the idea that it was the work of a single person.” At the heart of Tolkien’s argument, Krieger said, is the way in which Christianity is reflected in the text.

> “The Christianization of ‘Beowulf’ is very interesting, because every single character in it is a pagan, even in these odd digressions,” Krieger said. “Beowulf is from southern Sweden and goes to Denmark to help other pagan Germanic peoples fight monsters … but it’s overlaid throughout with a Christian perspective and infused with Christian language.” Computational evidence from the study supports Tolkien’s view from a new perspective. “Arguments based on the poem’s content or its author’s supposed belief system are vital, of course, but equally important are arguments based on the nitty-gritty of stylistic details. The latter also have the merit of being testable, measurable.”

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.