[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Y’all scared of death like I am? I’m up almost every night wracked by anxiety about my eventual certain demise. I’ve heard all the arguments (you won’t experience it really, you don’t know what happens so it might not be the end, you can’t change it so just don’t think about it) and nothing seems to help. I don’t want to die. The void is the most terrifying thing I can possibly imagine, I would much rather go to hell than just die. I feel like I’ve been thinking about it since I could first think, I remember being maybe 5 years or even younger just staring at the ceiling contemplating where I was before I was born. The immensity of it is soul crushing and I don’t think I even have a soul. We’re just meat computers forced to realize what we are. Sorry for rambling but idk where else to vent. I’m sure I’m not alone. Does anyone else want to talk about it?
>>
File: Saudi combined e.png (335 KB, 2033x1433)
335 KB
335 KB PNG
>>13984377
It can't be stopped.
>>
>>13984381
What
>>
>>13984377
>I don’t think I even have a soul
There is an inner you which is non-physical. You can't touch it or see it, it has no mass, spatial dimensions or physical characteristics whatsoever, a scientist can't measure it or observe it, but you know the inner you exists with more certainty than anything else. That is your soul. You most certainly have one. Given your preoccupation with death, I doubt you're an NPC. Now that you know you have a soul, maybe those religion people are onto something. Find God.
>>
>>13984396
I think the idea of god and an afterlife is just wishful thinking. It’s my perspective that we live in a depressingly mundane world and that any other alternative is just a fancy to escape from that hard truth in our minds. Also I don’t think anyone’s an NPC. We’re all experiencing this thing from our own little viewports. As per the soul I suppose I mean more of a consciousness. I believe a consciousness can exist with any sort of metaphysical element, a purely physical phenomenon.
>>
>>13984377
I used to, but I got over it when I was, like, 17 because I got sick of worrying about it. Just decided, "well, there's no avoiding it, might as well not give a shit," and so I just stopped caring.
Life has been better since that moment. Whether it comes sooner or later, whether you are aware or not, whether you go to hell, or get reincarnated, or just lights out; no matter what you can't avoid it, so why does it matter other than to make the life you do have worse?
As for me, now I have a kid and I occasionally worry, but my worries are much different. They're more selfless and so they doesn't feel as pointless and can have an end goal (have things in order so my kid is taken care of whether I'm around or not). Though the moments every so often that come unannounced, those moments when I worry about outliving my own child? Those thoughts are truly terrifying. Until you experience that all this worry about death is kiddy shit.
>>
>>13984419
I think the idea that consciousness (the soul) is a purely physical phenomemon is just wishful thinking.
>>
>>13984431
How is it wishful thinking?
>>
>>13984430
No hate but it sounds like you’re saying just go reproduce lol
>>
>>13984377
[Hell] is closed
>>
>>13984431
The "soul" isn't physical, it's ethereal
>>
>>13984447
I’m not worried about hell. If there is a god and it is good then I shouldn’t have to worry about such a prospect. If there is a god that would do such a thing then it is not good and I am not aligned with such an evil.
>>
Terror management theory
The best thing you can do is create something that will immortalise you, something that will outlive you (art, music, children etc.)
"When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not." - Epicurus
>>
>>13984444
Now that I think about it? Maybe a little. Maybe you just need more important things to worry about.
But my main message is just stop giving a shit. No argument from logic will help you get over it, you have to decide to stop giving a shit because there's no way to logic yourself out of death (should that come to be, it is still many, many years away).
>>
>>13984461
Julius Caesar will be forgotten eventually. Even humanity will one day cease in one way or another. We’ve only been as we are for 10,000 years(probably more idk, but regardless), we won’t endure billions.
>>
>>13984472
>Julius Caesar will be forgotten eventually
Yep, nothing ever stays the same. The ancient Chinese said we should flow with things instead of pushing against the current. One day everything will be forgotten so just do your bit to make a legacy, or don't, just be comfortable with what you do end up doing.
>>
>>13984455
Not how it works, why do you think the ruling elite are obsessed with the Kabbalah, Talmud etc.? We live more than one life, and the fabric of "reality" IS MIND! The elite designed a 'middle reality' in the [16th Century CE] based upon Kabbalistic writings, woven into English and "reality" itself! You don't get to just 'opt out,' but through deep knowledge, and the perfection of will, you can develop a superior argument. Thusly, absorbing the inferior form of [Hell] in your reality
>>
>>13984488
Esoteric knowledge is as worthless and mainstream theology, it's all bullshit. Just do your best, consult the philosophers if you need guidance.
>>
>>13984499
True knowledge isn't bullshit, this website is. To say true knowledge (oft hidden) is worthless, is to say the law, itself, is worthless; why do you thin0T40R4k this a tenable position, by any stretch of the imagination?
>>
>>13984499
*think
>>
Same shit. I've been thinking about it literally every second and can't rid of this thought, just distract myself for a little while when working or entertaining. I'd prefer to be believer, get into some religion, but i can't. Seems like nothing can help me, except... death, lol
>>
>>13984531
Use aesthetics to escape yourself
Listen to great music or look at a beautiful sunset, get lost in the world
>>
>>13984544
Problem is it only last for the moment, like they were saying distractions are great when they’re there but the in between is the kicker
>>
>>13984548
Well that's the dilemma
Look into Schopenhauer, he will help you
>>
>>13984377
Me too anon, not as extreme aa tour case but is surreal to think omce we die we would never exist again and maybe just after the next big bang and we won't be the same after that
>>
>>13984377
nigga this is /his/ not /x/
we want threads on the peloponnesian war and operation barbarossa not gay existential dread shit
>>
>>13984612
/x/ is for the paranormal and I don’t believe in the paranormal. This board is for the humanities including philosophy. Dreading our mortality is the most universal human experience there ever was.
>>
>>13984377
Odd question: If someone somehow removed every cell from your body and replaced it with a different but functionally identical cell would you consider that dying?
>>
>>13984377
People like you are pathetic scum. I embrace it every day.
>>
>>13984389
You'll die of peak oil.
>>
>>13984450
Then prove it, without contradicting yourself in the process.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.