[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Why is Norse mythology so popular? It's arguably only below the Greek and Roman ones.
>>
Its the easiest to understand, and it makes the writer seem like a intellectual, when they're really a psued

Personally I want more african mythology references like https://youtu.be/elowl8jJEZU
>>
>>13984332
For one we have more written sources for Norse mythology than most other pre-christian sources. I mean it's literally just Greco-Roman and Norse mostly for Europeans. The few Celtic and Slavic sources I've read were great though.

I don't like what they did with God of War for a few reasons though. First of all, it should have been a new character. Kratos is an asshole and not an interesting character like that. He was just cool in the context of those games. it was fun to learn about Greek myth as a kid even though it was disrespectful, him killing everything in it. But if you're gonna do that with something Germanic they should have made a new character based on Sigurd or Volsung, Weyland, etc. Also their treatment of Baldur, he looks like a Kentucky meth cook. Not at all like the Adonis of Norse myth, which he is. And the gameplay is pretty shit tier compared to the original games.
>>
>>13984332
It's the second kind with the most sources and maybe a bit of romanticism related to it's "snow pypo" nature which melts about right with dark fantasy
>>
>>13984332
Originally because of contrarians who don't like classical mythology but were too lazy to read up non Indo-European mythology
>>
>>13984370
One of the best horror movies I've seen in a while fell back more on some kind of Viking iconography and myth. It was called Head Hunter and it's about this Viking dude living in a forest hunting down monsters especially the one that killed his daughter. It just goes to show how much potential folk horror has as a genre when you bring in some fantasy elements.
>>
>>13984332
It became popular in the 19th century solely due to nationalism mixed with romanticism, not because it was anything good. Before then no one gave a shit about it. Hegel even personally thought Norse mythology (or the Edda) was shit.

> Hegel similarly disparages the Edda for its obscure and confused myths
>>
>>13984397
No that's bullshit it has had phases of extreme popularity for centuries.
>non-IE myth
Why bother as an average westerner?
>>
>>13984403
>Hegel
Ah yes Northern Europe's original pseud
>>
>>13984403
Hegel was not a fan
>>
>>13984406
>it has had phases of extreme popularity for centuries.
You mean for two centuries? Nobody gave a shit about Nordic mythology before the age of nationalism. Even then most people only care about it because of Wagner's opera
>>
>>13984411
Hegel predicated pagan larpers and told them it’s never going to work out

> Others, trying to give the Germans an imagery of their own once more, an imagery that was home-grown, cried: “Is Achaea, then, the Teutons’ fatherland?” But this imagery is not that of Germans today. The project of restoring to a nation an imagery once lost was always doomed to failure; and on the whole it was bound to be even less fortunate than Julian’s attempt to inculcate the mythology of his forefathers into his contemporaries in its old strength and universality. The outcome of that attempt was to all appearance far more promising because at that date much of the old mythology was still left in men’s hearts and because the Emperor had plenty of means at his command for giving it pre-eminence. The old German imagery has nothing in our day to connect or adapt itself to; it stands as cut off from the whole circle of our ideas, opinions, and beliefs, and is as strange to us as the imagery of Ossian or of India.

Very harsh.
>>
>>13984423
>or of India.
Midwit take, there's where you notice he was just being a biased chudcel
>>
>>13984414
It seems he just didn't understand the story and ruled it out, a good translation of the Volsung Saga is one of the best stories of that sort one could read. I'd place it beside the Arthurian Romances or something as kino. Not the Iliad though, if German Romanticists were trying to do that they were dumb as fuck.

>>13984422
Wagner gave it more popularity sure but the myths have always been a point of interest to the educated.

>>13984423
No matter his foresight he always comes off so stiff and borish, still less of a chudcel than Schopenhauer though.
>>
>>13984332
Greco-Roman mythology is associated with latin and history class, ancient drama plays, philosophers, civilization.
Norse mythology is associated with vikings, barbarians, violence and primality. Both appeal to different people.
>>
>>13984445
All I can be certain of is that Hegel would have absolutely despised the third Reich

Since Hegel would never been a Nazi, he can never have been a chud.
>>
>>13984479
Hitler was a E1b1b african chudcel that worshipped greeks too.
Both were chudcels
>>
File: 1663878760423850.jpg (464 KB, 746x779)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>>13984479
>can't understand basic linguistics
That's a chud alright.
>>
>>13984482
>>13984487

Hegel was proven right though. German unification was a mistake that turned into a great tragedy for all of Europe.
>>
>>13984498
europe does not exist, it never did
>>
>>13984498
And? Germany could well not exist and we would barely lose any literary contributions relevant to the topic itt
>>
>>13984332
Why the fuck there is a nigger in a God of War game?
>>
>>13984445
Tbf most of the so-called philosophers can be summed as biased chudcels.
>>
>>13984545
Pretty much, thats why people shouldn't really take at face some of their personal opinions, like, who cares schopenhauer incel rage?
>>
>>13984538
they made jotuns black
>>
>>13984565
What is a Jotun?
>>
>>13984570

Giants often enemies of the gods.
>>
>>13984538

She is the Mother of Monsters.
>>
>>13984576
lol, so they really fuck it up and shoot their own foot trying to be woke amd inclusive hahaha
>>
>>13984538
We are all africans, bro
>>
>>13984574
I remember reading a story of a magical squirrel that travesl the worlds sending bantz between a God and a Jotunn.
>>
>>13984366
>Kratos is an asshole and not an interesting character like that
I personally like the stereotypical rough hairy dad protag archetype in AAA games, but it does get very tiresome
>But if you're gonna do that with something Germanic they should have made a new character based on Sigurd or Volsung, Weyland
Neu-Kratos is meant to be a minor Norse mythical figure, a jotun I think
>Also their treatment of Baldur, he looks like a Kentucky meth cook. Not at all like the Adonis of Norse myth, which he is.
The franchise's entire schtick is to take conventions of myth and flip them on their head, especially when concerned with making the gods seem like assholes and downright gross. Have you even played the original games?
>And the gameplay is pretty shit tier compared to the original games.
It's different. Personally, I like the style better than the DMC knockoff of the old games (not that that was bad), but it really is apples and oranges. It's a reboot, everything is supposed to be different. Did you really want them to keep making the same games over and over?
>why not just make a new IP then
Money. The name sells. If they didn't name it GoW and put Kratos in it, you and a thousand others wouldn't be talking about it. If you really dislike it, I don't see what stops you from just thinking of it as a separate entity
>>
>>13984582
Yeah and?
>>
>>13984616
I'm not making a point, just reminding you the logic behind it.
>>
File: alsimmons_soldier_086.jpg (21 KB, 200x306)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>13984618
We all came from Africa but different groups changed over time, the game is just dumb af, is like they make Spawn white or asian instead of black, will be dumb and anoying af too
>>
why does not cultural appropriation rules apply to anything norse?
>>
>>13984625
>We all came from Africa
YOOOOOOO HOL UP
>>
>>13984538
For the BOI to bleach her.
>>
>>13984332
>Why is Norse mythology so popular?
MUH HECKIN' EPIC BERSERK VIKING CHADS RUNNING AROUND WITH TWO AXES AND SCREAMING WOWZA

That's what normies think Norse mythology is about. They have a fantasy for dumb capeshit-tier violence and they think Norse mythology is just that.
If you actually read pieces of West and North Germanic literature (not exclusively Norse), you find that they are much more balanced and that being morally good is even more important than being physically strong.
>>
>>13984332
I miss the pre-History Channel days when having an interest in vikings meant you were either a Dungeons and Dragons playing turbovirgin nerd or a white supremacist
>>
>>13985518
Nothing has changed (metaphysically). All who take interest in these things fall into this dichotomy at base, while some straddle it (me).
>>
>>13985020
Rune autism too
>>
>>13984585
It was between a god-eagle and a god-dragon, actually
>>
>>13984344
>african mythology
Yes, because it's not like there are myriads of totally different cultures in Africa
>>
>>13986349
does it matter?
>>
File: 1583385566394.jpg (45 KB, 640x640)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>13984332
>norse mythology
>below roman mythology in popularity

you're kidding right? roman mythology is basically a nonentity
>>
>>13985020
>being morally good is even more important than being physically strong.
the issue is that G*rms, as expected, thing morally good is being barbaric savages.
>>
>>13984332
Because it was written down, basically.
Mainland Germanic paganism, Gallic pagansim, etc. Was never written down by anyone, so it faded away. Norse Sagas were recorded by Snorri in Iceland (despite himself being a Christian) and so when Germanic Romanticism became popular they turned to Iceland for sources and inspiration.
Nowadays our societies are also still crypto Nordic supremacists (blond and blue eyes upheld as the beauty standard for women, Nordic countries worshipped as perfect societies, etc.)
>>
>>13984366
>Also their treatment of Baldur, he looks like a Kentucky meth cook
I actually kinda liked his appearance, looks a lot like a light weight UFC fighter, rather than a roided out Schwarzenegger superman.
>>
>>13984538
Cause it's God of War video game, not "God of accurately reconstructed pre-Christian folk beliefs, the simulation"
>>
>>13984570
>TFW old English word for giant used to be Eoeten
We lost our SOVL

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.