[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

If life evolved on another Earth-like planet wouldn't they end up looking exactly like us?
>>
No
>>
>>13756937
A big part of evolution is random mutation and the other big part is random extinctions and then the survivors having to make do with the mutations they have, so no.
>>
>>13756937
Sort of, because there are things objectively more useful and effective than others. They would not look exactly like us by any stretch, humanoid would be surprising, but they will have many fundamental similarities(including being territorial and wanting to kill us, no doubt in my mind). We can see as much within Earth life already.
Oh yeah, I also assume you're trying to refer to intelligent aliens, because otherwise this post is nonsense.
>>
>>13756937
do spiders look exactly like us? or jelly fish? or viruses?
>>
>>13756985
consider how different plants live to animals.
>>
>>13757097
If plants were to somehow achieve advanced civilisation, they would develop numerous similarities to us, because this is a rather specific niche. However, if the subject is just any sort of life, then yeah there's room for greater variety.
>>
>>13756937
read Arthur C Clarke's 2001, the book is nothing like the movie
>>
>>13757111
you could argue that forests are a pretty advanced type of civilisation.
>>
>>13757167
No.
>>
File: tmp.jpg (100 KB, 1078x516)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>13756937
>burgers will evolve into hutts

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.