[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 2mg2z1wv7h691.jpg (98 KB, 850x850)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
When did immodest dressing become acceptable in mainstream culture within the west, i feel like this is solely an american thing with the advent of commercialized gangster rap, i cant remember beforehand that being widely accepted, perhaps in attempt to not seem racist?
>>
File: Dionysos_Louvre.jpg (3.23 MB, 1700x3350)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB JPG
>>13527680
when was it not?
>>
suits were phased out of popular culture around 2000. I'd argue only in extreme secular multiracial shitholes are you not going to get backlash to dressing like a loon
>>
>>13527680
clothes becoming cheaper and more disposable
used to be you own a few nice pieces of clothing that were durable and functioned everywhere
but then everyone started having a closets full of clothes and threw everything out after a year or so
also people used to walk places and spend way more time outside
>>
>>13527680
The same type people started to believe less in Iron Age nonsense
>>
>>13527684
thats not immodesty, thats in a time where sexualization isnt normality, i mean in the modern sense, that was normal at the time, now there is a clear distinction in civilization between normal dress code and something intentionally provocative, litteraly no country in the world has normalized dress standards that are culturally acceptable in america
>>
>>13527702
if you think OP's pic is immodesty, idk what to tell you. Bikini's aren't even immodest (in the correct beach context). what's immodest or not is incredibly arbitrary and time specific.
>>
>>13527714
OP here, the pick i posted is just funny, thats not an example, thats just a drunk guy at the pub, obviously im talking about the millions of women who dress like the kardashians, and how normal that is too sexualize yourself nowadays, like never seen before
>>
>>13527752
I would disagree. I think you and I just get horny looking at women.
>>
>>13527752
I mean, horse-thots walk around literally naked sticking their swollen horse vaginas reeking of feromones in your face. It's always been like that
>>
Who can resist the comfort of stretchy clothes? Given the choice between stretchy pants and shirts and nonstretch ones, I end up never wearing the latter.
>>
>>13527764
>girl leaving nothing to the imagination
>our fault for being horny
lol ok bud
>>13527774
wtf is a horse thot
>>
File: FAGPkYDX0AApRCe.jpg (104 KB, 660x765)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>13527686
>suits were phased out of popular culture around 2000.
Only in the west. Everytime I see a video of japanese or chinese streets there are a ton of people in suits.
Even in the west, suits are still used a lot by academics, lawyers, politicians and other professionals.
>>
File: 1624105750945.jpg (125 KB, 827x1024)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>13527680
When people started thinking Christianity was "oppressive" for telling them not to sodomize their neighbor
>>
>>13528606
Replace the pipe with a vape and the poster with a twitter post in one of their phones and it is extremely accurate
>>
>>13528624
Only if you flip the physiques of the viewers onto the images. A contemporary image is fat people looking a nude people who are in shape
>>
>>13527680
you are completely divorced from reality. Go back to your containment board loser.
>>
>>13527686
>>13528591
Suits began as casual clothing.
>>
>>13527680
The increasingly degenerate fashion trends that started picking up around the 20s were worried and warned about all the way up to now
See >>13528606
The normalization of freaks in general also helped
>>
>>13528606
in what period and where were large portions of the population wearing and normalizing reaveling/sexually provocative clothing?
>>
>>13529168
since the 60s at the very least, but if we're going to be honest it goes much farther back than that, you probably think leggings and skin-tight jeans on women is modest though
>>
>>13528606
>tfw when no cute pipe smoking gf with beehive hair of to stroll around with as I twirl my cane and tip my plumed hat to fellow tattooed men
WHY GOD I SWEAR THIS IS THE WORST TIMELINE
>>
File: ifadxm3zgav41.jpg (384 KB, 1659x2208)
384 KB
384 KB JPG
>>13527680
>>
>>13528007
not our fault, it's our privilege to be horny
>>
>>13527680
>feel like this is solely an american thing with
In Spain during the Civil War, Anarchist zones often saw a drop in the use of the "bourgeoise" suit and vest and people began dressing just with shirts and trousers.
Casual dress is supposed to be seen as a sign of egalitarianism and shieeeet
>>
>>13528591
>China
Ironic given that they wanted to reject the suit and use the Zhou Enlai jacket fit instead
>>
File: 1_g.jpg (25 KB, 306x400)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>13529435
OH NONONONO-
>>
>>13528591
A regular white shirt and black pants is not a suit, you autistic faggot. And they wear that shit quite obsessively so because they want to be seen as fellow Westerners.
>>
File: 1533573582464.jpg (27 KB, 470x313)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>13529471
They also use suit jackets and ties you stupid homo
>>
>>13527680
yes, it’s the jews and niggers, nothing wrong with the most soulless cattle that the so called white americans are
>>
>>13529445
Unironically soulful.
As an Anglo-American, I wish other countries used their own vernacular clothing more, and that way we could finally reclaim the suit as the proud national costume of Anglo-derived cultures.
>>
a suit isn't necessarily upperclass clothing. for starters it's based on military uniforms, and the popularity of it prior to midcentury was because its modular nature meant that one could adapt to the relatively high cost of textiles. you only need to change your shirt frequently, and if you're really skint you can use a paper color and shirt front. there's also a marked division between workman's clothes and suits, a workman needs something that can either take a beating or be disposed of easily when it gets filthy. jeans and a tshirt are ultimately factory clothes. post-world war 2 the development of cheap textiles and ready-to-wear meant that most people could afford a large wardrobe, which meant that most clothes buying was done with an eye for comfort or style rather than durability and utility (style previously being solely the realm of the wealthy or foppish)
>>
>>13529531
additionally, the uniformity of suits matches the uniformity of work wear in that both reflect cosmology of industrial capitalism and the newfound desire of the very wealthy to hide
>>
>>13527680
>immodest dressing
define this first. but ill answer your question based on what i think youre vaguely implying. the ONLY context ive ever heard of attire being specifically 'immodest' is in reference to womens clothing and how sexualized it is. everything else falls under the broader context of dressing 'inappropriately' (i.e., overdress, underdressed, improperly dressed, lacking in style, etc.). anyways, imo this is just a result of secularization of western society. people that arent completely religious chudtards have better things to worry about than, oh no, a nice set of tits is hanging out. things like your op are far less common and arent actually accepted because, huge surprise, no one wants to see old fat mens genitalia.
>>
>>13529531
>post-world war 2 the development of cheap textiles and ready-to-wear meant that most people could afford a large wardrobe, which meant that most clothes buying was done with an eye for comfort or style rather than durability and utility (style previously being solely the realm of the wealthy or foppish)

The demiurge doesn't believe that cheap or easy access to things make them not high-class. He believes that "spicy food" is exclusively for rich people no matter how cheap it is, his definition of "spicy food" includes things like like all dressed chips, black pepper ( and anything with black pepper in it), frito lays hoops, etc. He also believes "foreign food" (including things like ramen, tacos, plain corn chips) is exclusively for rich people. He believes button up shirts are for rich people and also thermal hoodies, he definitely believes suits are exclusively for rich people, he has also recently described black clothes as "fancy".

He believes video games that depict carribean settings or maritime setting in general are exclusively for rich people even if they're free mobile games. He believes video games that let a person do something that is normally exclusively for rich people like city planning or military command are exclusively for rich people regardless of how cheap they are.
>>
>>13529233
>you probably think leggings and skin-tight jeans on women is modest though
that's literally not revealing, just because a person fills out their clothes doesn't mean its sexual, tightness helps with mobility
>>
>>13527686
Tragic
>>
>>13528591
East Asia seems more modest. Maybe Confucian heritage? I'm American which is less so but Europe seemed much more sexually "relaxed" I suppose from my experience going there.
>>
>>13532596
but they dont dress like kardashians over there
>>
>>13527680
The prevalence of immodest dress perfectly correlates with the amount of power women exercise in society. Retarded simp males have always made excuses for them to dress in the most provocative way possible. There is a reason why the shirts and shorts women wear are ALWAYS smaller than the male equivalent, even in the SAME SETTING. Whether that setting is work, casual, sports, beach etc. for some reason women are always wearing LESS CLOTHING than men which is a complete inversion of the whole point of modesty which is to cover up women away from the gaze of men (WHO ARE THE VISUAL SEX).

Women sexually assault every man when they dress immodestly because they make an encounter that is not supposed to be sexual (work, shopping, sport etc.) into a sexual encounter because they force a man to visualize their body. Women can only get away with rampant sexual assault and rape when they hold power, and, due to their inherently immoral nature they will take any opportunity to sexually assault and rape men. Therefore declines in modesty standards directly cohere with power that women hold.
>>
>>13532667
the Queen Virgin Mary would like to speak to you, also violent societies were a men issue that has since changed, dont hijack this into a gender shitstorm
>>
>>13532693
>the Queen Virgin Mary
who was the best of all women precisely because she rejected all the natural evil tendencies of women while embodying the good (giving birth and being a mother)
> also violent societies were a men issue that has since changed, dont hijack this into a gender shitstorm
I never said that men are perfect angels and society would be perfect if only women never gained power, both sexes have good and bad in them.

Anyway the nature of your question which is about modesty directly concerns gender relations and the morality of women because how WOMEN dress is what people are concerned about when discussing modesty. No one really gives a shit if men dress "immodestly" because it is hard for them to do so anyway because no one cares as much how men look. A woman's body is INHERENTLY SEXUAL and therefore modesty is INHERENTLY a WOMEN'S ISSUE
>>
>>13532756
>natural evil tendencies of women
>A woman's body is INHERENTLY SEXUAL and therefore modesty is INHERENTLY a WOMEN'S ISSUE
i cant even take you seriously if i tried anon
>>
>>13532792
what virtue is modesty supposed to protect if not chastity then lmao?
>>
>>13532596
Americans invented globohomo but europeans perfected it.
>>
File: 1632040007567.jpg (2.08 MB, 1200x1200)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>13529168
what is considered revealing or sexually provacative depends on the culture, natives in the amazon don't consider breasts to be anything you should cover. fashion changes and with it the norms of what is acceptable or not. now our fashion norms consider "revealing" clothes to be the norm but of course this will eventually change like all things.

in the past a man could wear high heels and stockings and that would be normal proper clothes but if you wore that today then people would think you are a sexual deviant since you don't conform to the current fashion norms.
>>
>>13527787
I like regular denim a lot more than stretchy denim. But ideally we should have all types, because finding rarer styles can be difficult

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.