[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 9249.jpg (1.07 MB, 2048x1365)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
SEA civilization thread

Focusing on Indonesian, Cambodian, Thai, and Myanmar works, since those came up more often. Places like Yunnan (China) and even Nepal can be squeezed in too. There's a lot of restoration work being done, and the architecture that remains deserves more press.

What are some of the notable untranslated written works from across the region, that deserve more recognition?
>>
Contributing with some kino architecture
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pararaton
A Javanese chronicle. It's only about 50 pages formatted as a paper book, but I really wish we had something similar to it for Cambodian history. Anyone more familiar with the literature?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalasan_inscription
A Sanskrit inscription in Indonesia, which includes some history and impressive epithets.

I think the unique strengths of SEA include borrowing of Sanskrit, Chinese, Arabic, and native high literary culture, while making all of that culture and their interesting interactions more palatable to study. Some of the bits that don't stand on their own are at least strengthened by being connected with aspects that are more majestic or familiar.
>>
File: Medang Javanese.jpg (113 KB, 640x480)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>12669488
>>
What did warships of the region look like? Do we have detailed preserved archaeological remains of them?
>>
>>12669531
>>12669488
Cool. I wanted to read something about the SEA, what do you recommend?
>>
>>12669683
You can start with some of the books in the Wikipedia bibliographies. Do you read Dutch? There are so many primary sources that haven't been transposed to the Anglosphere.
>>
Flat chested Khmer women are the best. I say this as an unironic Nazi
>>
>>12669488
Wow
>>
>>12669653
>>
>>12669793
Oh, I also looked around, and so some of them probably did have artful detail and decorations. So the high craft in their stonework also appeared in their less permanent works, that's impressive.
>>
File: Medang Java.jpg (20 KB, 340x450)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>12669793
>>
>>12669919

What are some of the best examples of a structure in the mist across SEA? This is a pretty scenic effect. Especially if the structure is dark or pale, it looks so ethereal in thick white mist.
>>
These are great.

Where do I start dipping my toes into Hindu Indian architecture? There are so many intricate stone structures, detailed carvings, and structures lost, like some of the famous lost palaces, that it's difficult for me to determine if my understanding of their architecture is comprehensive or authoritative.
>>
>>12669952
>Hindu Indian
This is actually mostly Buddhist java (some Hindu but still) architecture. Nonetheless, Hindu temples also look amazing tbf
>>
Does anyone know where pic related is? It looks similar to the Angkor complex but the towers look different so I'm not 100% sure
>>
>>12670147
Nvm I found it. Those are Burmese pagodas (Myanmar).

Holy fuck the tallest one is 110m
>>
hey anon, the philippines is a part of SEA too.
>>
>>12670205
Shithole.
>>
>>12670349
Like Indonesia, Cambodia and Thailand aren't?
>>
>>12670111
I know, but the canon in SEA is basically known. India has at least dozens of massive sites I only vaguely know, so I'm trying to look back at that.
>>
>>12670403
Indonesia will probably be the fourth largest economy soon. The Phillipines is a place that should be like another Japan as well, but something went wrong.

Do the Phillipines have notable works and wonders pre Rizal? I'm not very familiar with the country.
>>
>>12670747
>Indonesia will probably be the fourth largest economy soon
When?
>>
File: ksp_6402-2-1.jpg (1.08 MB, 1400x933)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>12669952
>Where do I start dipping my toes into Hindu Indian architecture?
South India patronized a lot of temple building for 2000 years. Their stone temples are absolutely incredible, and the detail on some of them are just unbelievable.
Hampi is a good site to start at. It contains a of examples of building techniques and architectural mainstays of South Indian Hindu architecture, dravidian type especially.
>>
>>12670964
Around 2040 if they can overcome government corruption. They're basically in the state Japan was in the 1970s. Very large underutilized population.

Are there any high tier Filipino pre-colonial relics or structures? That aren't just ooga booga tier or the empty complexity of its national "pride" knife array. I'm not trying to put them down, it's just I haven't seen anything that stands well compared to Indian or East Asian sculpture or architecture.
>>
>>12670984
Thank you. See that's the thing, if I honestly try to research on my own, I'm gonna go cross eyed at the flood of info I'll stumble into. Literally dozens of large sites and at least hundreds of details and inscriptions, not to mention the thousands of artifacts.
>>
>>12671009
Excuse me, 1950s, not 1970s.
>>
Filipino bros, what were your pre-colonial artifacts and wonders like?
>>
>>12670147
>>12669919
>>12669531
>>12669488

The spires and intricate details actually remind me a bit of Gothic architecture in Europe.
>>
>>12672057
Right? Especially >>12669531 looks like a fucking cathedral to me, has a bit of Sacre Coeur. Which is insane, considering the latter was built more than a Millenium later
>>
>>12672021
pic related is the Agusan Image discovered in the southern Philippine Island of Mindanao
>>
File: 800px-Hoysala_emblem.jpg (329 KB, 800x1205)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
Good thread. Bumping.
>>12669952
Start from the South and go north in your studies. Tamil Nadu has a high concentration of temple towns, so I would recommend you start with Madurai, Thanjavur, Kanchipuram and others down there for the best preserved and most distinct examples of Dravidian architecture. As you go north you'll see other art styles creep their way in, with the Nagara style centered in the North along the Gangetic plain, the Chalukya design in Karnataka and Maharashtra, the Dravidian design in Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, the Kalinga design in Odisha and Bengal, and the Gurjara style in Rajasthan - with other regionally adapted designs throughout the country. The South is the best place to start because of its uniformity though.
>>12670984
Hampi is a tough choice to recommend because it's still poorly documented, and most of the area is just ruins after the fall of Vijayanagara in the 16th century. Also, it definitely borrows more from Hoysala architecture and art like picrel than the Dravidian styles
>>
>>12672249
It's like something that could have came from Incans, but it's also a ghoul faced open-titted woman. Better than I expected, but not good enough to be a source of real national pride.
>>
>>12672390
Has any Indian anon made a infograph of glorious Indian architecture? Would be a perfect easy-intro for a lazybones like me. I'm surprised with all the Indian nationalism, I haven't seen one yet. There's the one for African architecture.
>>
>>12669488
>>12669531
these are ugly but somehow in a good way
>>
>>12672589
It's beautiful and like anon said, like something Lovecraftian. This makes sense as a description since much of Lovecraftian fan art was inspired from mixtures of East and South Asian architecture.
>>
What's whit brown pypa and maximalism
>>
>>12669634
>Anyone more familiar with the literature?
it was made around 16th century to describe events happened 300 years earlier. so yeah historians always take pararaton with a grain of salt. but the general chronology matched with primary sources though sometimes it misses the date by some years or it confuses one place with another. it's just the details are a bit sketchy.
>>
File: 800px-Candi_Sukuh_2007.jpg (172 KB, 800x533)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
Interestingly, there's a few temple built around the end of Majapahit rule with more megalithic style

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukuh
>>
>>12673026
That's interesting, is there a particular reason they did the shape like that? Are there temples in India like this? I actually thought it was Mayan for a bit.
>>
>>12672820
Is there other literature from the region that hasn't been translated into English yet?
>>
File: La_galigo.jpg (116 KB, 444x280)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>12673340
La Galigo, possibly one of the biggest literature in the world with 6000 pages or 300,000 lines of text preserved from ethnic Bugis in Sulawesi
>>
>>12670196
Confirmed neutral guy
>>
>muh Hindu/Buddhist temples
Doesn't matter when most of the time the population was stupid and backward.

>>12670747
The Philippines actually performs better with what little resources they have compared to Indonesia, at least before Covid-19. Indonesia punches way below their weight considering the country is even richer than Australia.
t. Indonesian.
>>
>>12673450
Wow, this is an incredible find. That's practically an Indonesian Mahabharata.

>>12673501
I'm not sure what this means, but I respect the security and maintenance of beaches and nature by people who don't live as sinful lives more. Indos simply live better and more peacably from what I've observed.
>>
>>12673501
>Doesn't matter when most of the time the population was stupid and backward.
Retard, Srivijaya was the center of Buddhist learning in SEA at the time and Majapahit influence even reached Thailand and Southern Vietnam with Panji tales

>The Philippines actually performs better with what little resources they have compared to Indonesia, at least before Covid-19.
No shit, when your country ruled by the most corrupt dictator in the world for 30 years and immediately got hit by financial crisis afterwards. Also Indonesia already surpassed Philippines' GDP per capita in 2003
>>
>>12673589
https://desuarchive.org/his/search/text/galigo/

Also the first time it's been mentioned here apparently. Thanks a whole bunch for sharing.
>>
What’s up with Gunang Padang? Was it really a step pyramid?
>>
>>12673501
>>12673602
Are Indo politicians just waiting to increase the national average height, and projecting force and national pride onto the world stage, like Xi's China?

The average Chinese male born past 2000 is 5' 9", and after that was achieved, Xi propaganda had a sturdy base to launch on.
>>
>>12673619
Meds
>>
>>12673619
>>12673662
That seems possible. Indonesia has a huge population but they're timid.
>>
>>12673613
How could anyone know? As far as I can tell it could have been destroyed by a volcano, or be the natural results of one.
>>
How do they know this is what it's like underneath the top layer of Gunung Padang? Did they do lidar scans or what? Why is layer three (supposedly of arranged rock) so thick, and why are there so many layers anyway, when they could have just maintained the supposed carved basalt pyramid in the core layer?
>>
>>12669488
>SEA
Is gay and a waste of time
>>
Well, now I know why Cambodian literature is so scarce. Apparently only 2% of their manuscripts survived the Khmer Rouge.

>>12673856
Return to pol, goblin
>>
File: 1642222429895.jpg (80 KB, 720x778)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>12673986
based Pol Pot returning to pre-writing post-post-industrial monkeborg
>>
>>12674027
I don't think their literature amounted to much. They're better off becoming futuristic jungle China, if they can pull it off.
>>
>>12673589
>but I respect the security and maintenance of beaches and nature by people who don't live as sinful lives more.
What? Ecological degradation from the mining and the palm oil industry are nothing? What do you mean by not living sinful lives? Are you a follower of some ecological type of Hinduism? Like I said above, it's not true.
>Indos simply live better and more peacably from what I've observed.
And where did you observe that, to be honest?

The fact remains true: For a country with 270 million of people, and loads, loads of natural resources, the country so far has failed to even produces something more than raw materials. Even then it could work just fine if you reinvest the profits you made from the raw exports into the service industry, like Australia, yet it doesn't happen either in Indonesia. Only recently that we've started to build factories that are more than just glorified assembly ones. Maybe only since a decade ago or something.
>>
>>12674171
From visiting both countries. Indos dress more modestly on their beaches, there's less of this brown roach trying and failing to imitate Western materialist fashions. I also know from sociological studies that Filipinos are worse at protecting their children from sex tourism. But I think what you're getting at is right, in that a full study will shed better light on the topic.

Where is all the Indonesian money going, besides kikes in the IMF?
>>
I found this and thought it was amusing. Truly the ancients had answers to trends in future generations.
>>
>>12674583
If it's not clear in thumbnail, check out what he's holding.
>>
File: Baubo_figurine.jpg (26 KB, 188x340)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>12674589
And guess what Greek figure actually has a head and something else (on her chin) to complement the Indo statue?
>>
I like Indonesia, just wish they would leave the Papuans alone.

Also, we need to know more about Gunung Padang.
>>
>>12674583
i got another
>>
>>12674583
I must coom for all ages

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.