[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

was he the most based general in the war?
>>
This guy looks like he fucks and hates niggers, asiatics and spics
>>
nah that's Grant
>>
>>12105304
No Jackson was better
>>
File: Butler.jpg (51 KB, 428x560)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>12105304
>>
File: Sherman.jpg (790 KB, 944x658)
790 KB
790 KB JPG
Very much so
>>
File: 1589503152010.jpg (39 KB, 600x600)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>12105304
I'd say it's a tie between him and this guy
>>
>>12105725
You mean to tell me the North was AGAINST the liberation of blacks and giving them rights? Weird, why did they fight a war for them again?
>>
>>12105976
The war wasn't for them. The south wanted the north to stop making decisions for them. The north wanted almost half their country back. Emancipation is sensationalism that gets more sensational as the years go on.
>>
>>12106007
>The north wanted almost half their
*90% of their taxpayers back
>>
File: Shermanresurrected.jpg (83 KB, 399x408)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>12105976
Nationalism. It's insane how people can't comprehend Sherman burning down Atlanta, then committing genocide against the natives. He was a nationalist, and everything which stood in the way of America's rise to power, whether they be injuns or dixoids, were to be crushed. Within that framework, it's easy to see how he could have animosity towards blacks or jews.
>>
>>12106048
Nationalists wage war against their own country for no reason? That just sounds like a psychopath
>>
>>12106048
If only he knew how bad things turned out to be
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 945x1168)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>12105551
Jackson just studied Napoleon, his Valley Campaign is an almost mirror of Napoleon's 6 days and his curriculum was largely reflective of Napoleon's. This isn't a bad thing, but I'd much rather say Grant was a much more brilliant general of all the civil war generals purely on his strategic and tactical proficiencies.

One general I think deserves more consideration though is Mclellan. Was he a good general in an impossible position or a poor general overall?
>>
>>12105968
The confederates kinda sucked bro. beating up a bunch of raw recruits and old generals isn't exactly an accomplishment, especially when your entire war strategy was defend familiar terrain
>>
>>12106092
Confederates did great until they exhausted their resources, the North just had too many men
>>
>>12106100
>the confederates did great until they exhausted their resources
no they didn't. The only region that did well was the army of north viriginia, and even then they had the most defensible theater in the war. I'd argue the fact that Lee was unable to even launch a successful offensive is indicative that he wasn't successful at all, since his army was given the most resources, and overall success hinged on his success.
>>
>>12106111
>Lee was unable to even launch a successful offensive
Against a force twice his numbers? No.
>>
>>12106119
And the army of the potomac wasn't able to successful dislodge an army half its size in defensive positions. The army doctrinal odds has always been 3 to 1 to 10 to 1 depending on the defensive positions.
>>
>>12105976
Despite how badly as the reconstructionists want it to be so, it will never be about the blacks
>>
>>12106208
Lee out-maneuvered plenty of smaller detachments though. At Chancellorsville he was outnumbered 2:1 but caught Hooker in-march and won.
>It was about twenty minutes past five when a number of deer and rabbits came bounding out of the woods bordering the opening of Hawkin's farm on the west. The animals had been started from their lairs by Jackson's advance. Ordinarily such an appearance of game would have been greeted by soldiers in the field with outbreaks of great hilarity. There was hardly anything of the kind this time. It was as if the men had instinctively understood the meaning of the occurrence. A little while later there burst forth, where Gilsa stood, a heavy roar of artillery, a continuous rattling of musketry, and the savage screech of the “ rebel yell,” and then happened what every man of common sense might have foreseen. Our two cannon standing in the road threw several rapid discharges into the dense masses of the enemy before them and then limbered up and tried to escape. But the rebel infantry were already upon them, shot down the horses, and captured the pieces. Gilsa's two regiments, formed at right angle with the turnpike, were at once covered with a hail of bullets. They discharged three rounds—it is a wonder they discharged as many—and then, being fired into from front and from both flanks at close quarters, they had either to surrender or beat a hasty retreat.
>>
read somewhere years ago that general Hooker is where we get the term hooker cause he brought along hoes for his men. Also, sherman got all his scorched earth ideas from grant.
>>
>>12106080
I always liked McClellan he didnt afraid of anything and just held his gruond... plus he ran agaunst lincoln in the election DURING The war kek

very based
>>
“We must act with vindictive earnestness against the Sioux, even to their extermination, men, women and children." - Sherman

Doesn't get much more based than that. I can't think of another American military figure who was has effective as Sherman at carrying out the genocide of the Native Americans.
>>
>>12106080
McLellan was a prime logistics & morale general, and can at least be said to have not destroyed the great army he built
>>
>>12106055
No Nationalists wage war to preserve the Union and national strength instead of being balkanized by retarded hicks.
>>
>>12106338
>preserve the union
>by killing the people in the union
always a conundrum
>>
>>12105968
You just overextended your army and this fucker walks out of the bushes, what do?
>>
>>12106357
No. Not really a conundrum. Killing rebels in fact forced those in a state of rebellion to surrender and ended the civil war.
>>
>>12106458
Was killing civilians part of the plan at a more united country too?
>>
What annoys me with people who deify Sherman is they ignore his remarks about how war is terrible and miserable and shouldn't be sought, that he hates factionalism and as soon as rebels submit they should be welcomed and protected as brothers. And the reason most likely he was so ruthless towards the natives is because you couldn't make a peace treaty with them any more than you can the Taliban during the war in Afghanistan - all it'd take is a bunch of uppity braves to decide to go on a warpath and there's nothing the chieftains could do to stop them, treaty be damned.

Instead they think he was a jingoistic war-happy kill em all and let god sort em out son of a bitch but because he was of their tribe that makes him based and woke see I forget the name of the cartoonist but >>12106048. Sherman would be as happy marching on burning a secessionist Sacramento as he would Dallas.
>>
>>12106406
>retrograde and establish a rearguard
>go back on the offensive and batter his weaker force
>>12106314
I never really have seen any major flaws in his strategies, and if anything the positions he was given was pretty much bullshit considering he was given an army of what 100,000 raw recruits to face off 60-80k regulars on highly defensive ground
>>
>>12106469
Sherman hardly killed any civilians.
Seethe harder dixoid.
>>
>>12106499
>it was only a couple dozen thousand!
>>
Didn't Sherman outright say Forrest was the best general the war produced on either side.
>>
>>12106535
>didn't x general that faced y general was the best
I'm certain he would say his opponent was the greatest, confederate generals were dunces beyond Lee's staff. The Army of Tennessee were weak
>>
>>12106048
>it's easy to see how he could have animosity towards blacks
Yeah, animosity towards the group that had zero power or say over anything regarding the nation. Yup, those were the guys that deserved animosity alright.
>>
>>12105551
dude spent the entire war dunking on incompetent political generals then died from friendly fire like a cuck
>>
>>12106570
live fast die young
>>
>>12105304
only for being named after indian chief
>>
>>12106519
>>12106469
So you'll condemn what the confederacy did in the west then?
>>
>>12106785
I don't know, did the confederacy class half a dozen cities full of civilians with cannon fire?
>>
>>12105551
well Grant respected Jackson certainly but thought his legend was a little overblown since he mostly beat up green troops led by political generals early in the war. that is to say it wasn't super-challenging to take out a bunch of German regiments full of guys who could barely speak English led by officers appointed mainly because they were abolitionists.
>>
>>12105725
>"greaser" as a slur for Mexicans
Related to 1950s ponyboy greasers?
>>
>>12105551

the key is holding one arm aloft when mounted up, to balance the blood
>>
File: Rape to the sea.png (182 KB, 651x562)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>12105304
Oh, he was based alright
>>
>>12107083
Rape got you drummed out of the army in disgrace (also branded) so I would imagine most soldiers wouldn't risk it with a white woman, while there was absolutely no consquences for doing whatever you pleased to black women.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.