[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 64564575678.png (1.59 MB, 1880x608)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
Is using a modern culture similar to an extinct ones from the past valid to study the extinct one?
>>
File: Puebloans.jpg (89 KB, 563x707)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>12104132
>>
>>12104132
No, because it's pure aesthetics and nothing more.
Anatolian Farmers aren't the same as Pueblans Indians just because their adobe towns look like each other.
>>
Pueblo’s and Anatolian have nothing to do with each other

You’d study the closest descendant of the culture

I think Hittites would be culturally like the Armenians today and have a similiar writing system to Armenian, the three Georgian ones, and Caucasian Albanian.

Catalhoyuk I think was another cultural descendant to natufians but maybe not a complete direct ancestor to today Middle East.
>>
>>12104132
Haha chatalhuyuk I remember when me and the boys laughed at chatalhuyuk in history class because huy means peepee in russian lol lmao
>>
>>12105176
>huy means peepee in russian
Based

Anyway WHY do they look similar if they're otherwise unrelated?
>>
>>12104132
Yes they are Turks and yes they are the same. Coping westoids will deny it.
>>
>>12104132
The buildings certainly look similar. This is akin to civilizations around various parts of the world building pyramidical shapes for some of their structures.
>>
>>12104132
That's an interesting question, because for wanting of more information, one might inevitably draw comparisons to something very similar, even if it is on another side of the Earth. Even if you think they may have been very similar types of societies, you may as well be taking artistic liberties.
>>
>>12104132
Sure. It's no different than biologists looking to modern animals for ideas as to how extinct ones may have looked or acted even if they aren't closely related, e.g. comparisons between Utahraptor and wolves.

>>12104456
>>12105142
Form follows function. Sea turtles aren't closely related at all to the extinct plesiosaurs but they're still used as a model for them because they're the only living animals with a similar fin layout and thus presumably a similar swimming pattern. If two desert cultures both lived in dense adobe cities they likely acted similarly in many other ways too. Of course you should also look at any living cultural descendants of a society when drawing comparisons as well, you can learn things in both cases.
>>
>>12107951
>>12107655
Pyramids are a great example of what I'm talking about. Both Egyptian and Mesoamerican pyramids are monolithic structures built by heavily autocratic societies for religious purposes, of course many details vary but if in theory say almost all of knowledge of the ancient Egyptians had been wiped out, you could learn a lot about things like the pyramids by studying the Mesoamerican pyramid-building cultures.
>>
>>12104132
Houses in catalhoyuk had no doors
>>
Yes. People often use India as a laboratory for this purposes
>>
>>12107967
They served entirely different functions though.
>>
>>12108090
One was a tomb and the other a ritual site but they're both still monolithic religious structures.
>>
>>12108104
Mesoamerican pyramids were centers of government, probably descending from earthen ziggurat hilltop forts. Egyptian pyramids were simply tombs. About all you'd be able to say about one that's true for the other is that there are carvings on the walls

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.