[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>GOAT Tier
D. João II
D. Afonso Henriques
D. João I
D. Dinis
D. Afonso III
>Great Tier
D. Manuel I
D. Sancho I
D. João VI (You read that right)
D. Afonso II
D. Pedro II
D. João IV
[D. Filipe I]
>Good Tier
D. Afonso IV
D. João III
D. Duarte (Would have been GOAT had he lived longer)
D. João V
D. José
D. Sancho II
>OK Tier
D. Pedro I
D. Maria II
D. Pedro IV
D. Pedro V (did not rule enough to become shit)
>Mediocre Tier
D. Fernando
D. Manuel II (probably shit, but he did not rule enough)
D. Maria I
Cardinal D. Henrique
[D. Filipe II]
>Shit tier
D. Afonso V
D. Luís
D. Carlos
[D. Filipe III]
D. Miguel
>WTF Tier
D. Sebastião

D. Afonso VI is not ranked because insane people are not accountable for their actions.
>>
shamless self bump
>>
>>11916630
Portugal too irrelevant for such a detailed tier list
>>
>>11916630
dangerously based
>>11917351
you're irrelevant.
>>
>>11916630
How do you make the wave above a? Can you do it for big A, so that anonymous will be with the wave?
>>
>>11918504
It's a Portuguese diacritic like ´ or `

And yes, you can put it on a uppercase A (Ã) but it's not the correct form since the ã is never a first letter.
>>
>>11918530
thanks fren
>>
>>11916630
>GOAT TIER

D. AFONSO VII, THE RESTORER
>>
>>11918605
He's a iteral faggot though, not fit to continue the lineage.
>>
>>11916630
Yeah that's pretty much incontestable.
>>
>>11916630
Why is D. Luis in shit tier?
>>
>>11919033
Is he a nonce?
>>
>>11919952
He didn't do anything and let the reputation of the monarchy crumble with bad behaviour.
>>
>>11917351
imagine to claim one of the most historically rich countries in Europe and even of all world is irrelevant in a place called his
>>
File: dawg.jpg (27 KB, 500x332)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>11916630
Alfonso Barbosa, the inventor of uma delicia sopa de macaco
Alfonso Barbosa II for causing the Lisbon earthquake with his massive balls when he walked around
Who gives a shit about Poortugal?
>>11920995
>get land given to you by the pope for free
>sperg out and don't give your colonies independence
>make india, angola, guinea bissau, and mozambique take their land back from you
>nobody remembers you as anything other than discount spain and discount brazil
>>
>>11921044
Excellent post
>>
>>11916630
>D. João VI

based jungle fever monarch, there are some funny anecdotes of him pigging out on brazilian food with no fork/knife during his stay at rio. carlota joaquina is a cringe whore
>>
>>11921044
true anon, any country that isn't common in pop history is boring and cringe. lets relocate to a ww2 memes thread, i'll be following you shortly
>>
Bum
>>
File: soyboy.png (38 KB, 500x433)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>11920995
>>
>>11921044
brown hands wrote this post, but good low iq envy and delusional description of yourself jungle mo
>>
>>11921044
Poortugueses BTFO
>>11923332
>poortuguese calling any other people brown as a insult
>>
File: Dilraba Dilmurat.jpg (74 KB, 630x1200)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>Hurr let's use the same 4 names to our children and assign them numbers.

The absolute state of European Monarchical nomenclature.
>>
>>11924082
portuguese are unironically even ligther than poles on parts of the body not exposed to sunlight

how will this south american br.hybrid deal with it?
>>
>>11924082
Basd
>>
File: Alberto Barbosa.png (155 KB, 1014x846)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
>>
>>11920327
>>11919952
D. Luis was the one that invited eiffel to build bridges, railroads and train stations, and he was an expert in oceanography, so I would say he actually did something and tried to start a bit of the industrial revolution, although I agree he didn't do enough.

And D.Maria I Is shit tier, she was the one who failed to fix the agriculture, the literacy rates and starting the industrial revolution right when she had the opportunity and time to do so. Even her son had to be the one to change the capital to brazil when napoleon invaded.

Her records are only "good" because she helped the people who wrote them.

>>11921044
For the record the Pope screwed over portugal more times than we can count because the spaniards were a bigger influence on him (the reason portugal lost the canary islands, for starters), and many of our early kings were excommunicated for a while.

Even tordesilhas treaty was designed to benefit castille when portugal had a stronger navy, and joão II had to plead a lot to change it in a way that didn't harm portuguese interests.
>>
>>11916630
>>11925945
I took another look at it. João VI insane? You probably confused him with D.Maria, who did eventually went mad although she was sane during most of her reign. João VI gets a bad reputation because he BTFO Lisbon in favor of the wider portuguese empire, but I would say he actually made good choices given the circumstances; the only truly bad decision he made was not getting rid of his wife despite her being outright treasonous to the point she was under arrest for a while (and probably getting him killed); we would have prevented the civil war, which was absolutely disastrous.
>>
>>11924375
Noice
>>
>>11926051
shut up zillian. He was a retard, and was actually BTFO by the portuguese people, that forced him to return, or he would never be allowed to touch portuguese soil.
>>
>>11926516
I am portuguese actually, but not Lisbonite. Never be allowed to touch portuguese soil? He never left it since brazil was still part of portugal, and only split up after he returned to lisbon as was demanded by the provisional government. He didn't want to do it precisely because it would lead to the split, but he was forced to because his son Pedro IV refused to go in his place (probably because he refused to deal with the old nobility).

When he arrived he was forced to swear the constitution, which shortly after was attacked by conservatives led by D.Miguel. He was initially supportive, but when D.Miguel tried to take power for himself João VI deposed him and sent him into exile. If he hadn't been poisoned, the civil war would have never happened, and maybe Portugal would have kept Brasil, as he had managed to keep Pedro IV as heir to both so there might have been a way to keep them both together in the future once tensions had died down, even though the ship of lisbon directly ruling over brasil had long sailed (literally, in this case).

He lived in a time of difficult decisions, and the ones he took where logical and beneficial to portugal. He wasn't one of the best, because if he where he would have been able to dominate politics and quell the factions, but he was good enough to avoid the worst outcomes and keep a stable equilibrium.
>>
>>11926897
No, he was forced to return due Porto revolution, in fact it was one of their priorities. Go read the memorandum. Probably even more the regime was never so close to change before (end with the monarchy) like it was in those years.

About the rest no one cares. Glad was the day we got ride of that shithole in the jungles of south america,
>>
>>11916630
Dom Miguel I should be on Good Tier
>D. João VI (You read that right)
>On Great Tier
Nah. He's Shit Tier.
The rest seems fine.
>>
File: batalhas de portugal.jpg (2.2 MB, 1279x6240)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
>>11927163
The porto revolution was the one that instituted the provisional government, yes. The provisional government in Lisbon had no power to kidnap the king in brasil, he could have stayed there and be first emperor of brasil if he wanted and there was nothing that the provisional government could do.

He still decided to come back to Portugal and by the time he was poisoned he was firmly in control as king; if he were that incapable Portugal would have either turned into a republic right then and there, turned into an absolute monarchy under D.Miguel, or worse.

Not sure why you care about a memorandum that was both desperate and delusional, especially considering it was made after the us had successfully declared independence from the british, and if the british at their peak couldn't take their major colony back i'm pretty sure Portugal at their bottom wouldn't be able to either. Maybe because the memorandum itself was taught at school, but the way history was taught was so poor, not even half of these battles was mentioned...

Like seriously if the british had won anything as lopsided as cochim they would never, ever shut up about it.
>>
>>11927531
>and there was nothing that the provisional government could do.

That's exactly what it was said, if he didn´t return, they would move on.
>>
>>11927646
And you do understand that the Portugal mainland at the time was so impoverished from the peninsular war that if it had "moved on" it would probably lose all it's colonies in short order and be left solely with the continental mainland, if even that considering how the british were handling it?

A revolution that has to "demand" someone to come back and rule over them is in no position of strength, yet the way history was taught you'd think the king was in some deserted island under arrest.
>>
>>11925009
Based
>>
>>11916630
Sebastian is going to come back, any day now, he will restore the fifth empire, any day now. I know it.
>>
>>11927747
>it would probably lose all it's colonies

Doubt.
but if it had happened it would have been good
>>
>>11927909
It wasn't good in 1974, it wouldn't have been better in 1820.
>>
>>11916630
>Carlos
>shit tier
there are a couple other blatant misses but overall pretty good list
>>
>>11918605
absolutely and unequivocally based post
hope god hears you and makes you right
>>
File: 1621303651152.png (234 KB, 442x446)
234 KB
234 KB PNG
>>11925009
>Before this I had always assumed I would just take his name, until he said he wanted to take mine
>My last name is Barbosa
>he insisted on naming our son "Alberto" after a man who saved him from drowning when he was a kid
>I found out after discovering a folder called "Alberto Barbosa" on his work laptop
>insists it's just a coincidence
this CANNOT be fucking real
>>
>>11916630
>João V not GOAT tier
What? He's the only one I bothered to remember
>>
>>11928161
Carlos did nothing but watch the regime die
>>
>>11928018
It was good in 1974 and would have been better in 1820.
Lisbons suburbs wouldn´t be full of those immigrants
>>
>>11930256
...you've never heard about the retornados? Lisbon got full of those immigrants precisely because they were fleeing from the former colonies. Just like france got filled with algerians when they gave them independence. Giving Independence to colonies led to immigrants, hell some colonies were a place to send unwanted people.

This is what lisbon looked like before 1974:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhuUsiHKufo
>>
Governing the Empire from Brazil would've been an excellent decision, but unfortunely the portuguese got jealous of Brazil, and preferred to become England's vassal state
>>
>>11930583
Unironically good take, Portuguese monarchy would've been better off staying in Brazil while renaming itself the Lusitanian Empire or some shit
>>
>>11930710
The Monarchy would've been safe in America, away from european squabbles and closer to the rest of the Empire. Dealing with the american states would've been child's play for the old and wise Crown, and Portugal would've quickly dominated South America, if not the entire American continent. Brazil under Dom Joao VI was rapidly being developed and the people educated, that process was only interrupted by the independence movement, that had thrown both Brazil and Portugal in instability.
>>
>>11930760
As portuguese the only thing I regret is missing out on pedro II of brasil, which was easily the best ruler brasil ever had and would have done wonders in portugal too.
>>
>>11916630
>WTF Tier
>D. Sebastião

You take that right back, motherfucker.
D. Sebastião is coming back at any moment now and we're gonna find you and kick your ass
>>
>>11931048
Hes not coming back Joao... Its time for you to accept his death and let it go...
>>
>>11916630
Why the hell is D. Pedro I bundled together with D. Pedro IV in OK tier after that whole Inês de Castro affair? He should be in batshit insane tier
>>
>>11931048
to be fair to D. Sebastião, alcácer-quibir was an important battle that needed to be fought and that achieved one of it's objectives, which was to prevent ottoman expansion into the Atlantic ocean.

The wtf part is the fact that there was absolutely no reason for D.Sebastião to be there in person, and in retrospect his inexperience was one of the reasons the battle was lost, even though the margin was narrow.
>>
>>11931176
Pedro I was popular because he BTFO corrupt nobles, clergyman and state officials in person, (he forbid people from becoming lawyers because he hated the time the courts took to make justice, even back then) and he deserves to be at least OK since after the inês de castro affair he actually ruled sensibly, kept the peace with spain and helped the country recover it's finances after the black death took a third of the population.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.