[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What is known about indigenous European religions in regards to their rites and how they actually worshipped their gods/engaged in spirituality?

The Mediterranean religions are probably the most well known in both its folklore/mythology and rites, much is known about Germanic/Norse mythology but not rites, and almost nothing (comparatively) is known about either Celtic mythology or religious practices.

This lack of knowledge about the actual religious practices is what makes neopagans LARPers.
>>
>>11042697
Also, I suppose since Roman society was so varied and open in regards to religion and the various cults and beliefs, neopagan followers of the ancient Roman pagan religion have a bit more leeway in creating their own rites and practices. They’re still LARPers though.
>>
the only thing distinguishing larp and religion is the size of the organization prove me wrong
>>
Looks like holiday festivals and votive offerings by throwing things in rivers and other
>>
>>11042697
>What is known about indigenous European religions in regards to their rites and how they actually worshipped their gods/engaged in spirituality?
A lot. We have a lot documented from the Greco-Roman world, Hinduism, Assianism, and Zoroastrianism are alive and well (okay Zoroastrianism isn't at all healthy but it's been maintaining what it's had for the past 1,000 years which is still a feat), and we can look at those three and see that yeah, they're incredibly similar to the Greco-Roman world. So, with what we know about the Germanic and Celtic practice, we can see that yeah, they'd be incredibly similar to every other Indo-European religion.
>>
>>11042697
we know almost nothing. There's one account of virgin oracles living off the iles of Brittany that could shape shift. Apparently no men were allowed on the island but occassionaly they would come to mainland and you could travel to the island to consult them as oracles.

they also believed in reincarnation apparently if greek sources are to be believed.

other than that - all I know of are archeological evidence - they seemed to do human sacrifice, peat bogs were special religious places for them where they would throw in captured war spoils as well as sacrifical bodies

They were a diverse variety of tribes so rituals probably varied across Europe.

Seemed to be belief in sacred trees based on Christian legend.
>>
>>11042823
Sati is documented as having been practised by Slavic pagans just like Hindus. When will Slavic LARPagans burn some widows to ensure the continuance of their ancestors traditions?
>>
>>11042697
Looks like primitive ooga booga shit.
>>
>>11042862
Suttee is documented in every culture on Earth. It's literally just wives getting sad and killing themselves at their husband's funeral. There's no religious justification for it, and even in Hinduism it was just something a noble woman was "expected" to do, it wasn't required (apparently a work around was a woman could take a nap with her husband's corpse before the funeral pyre was lit). This sort of thing was common throughout every Christian country in the world up until like 1945, if just in fiction about how romantic it was because blah blah blah true love. Which, even in India, is an element of this (by all accounts it looks like it just started as some late thing that poets in the Medieval period found super romantic and cutesy because blah blah blah true love, and eventually Brahmins started forcing noble women to actually do it all the time because muh karma).

Which, given how fucking nuts Slavic Pagans are, yes I can totally see them doing this sort of thing. Their entire religious practice consists of hating Jews and pumping out dozens of Russian kids in the woods, I can see it ending with women killing themselves at their husband's funerals.
>>
>>11042899
>Which, given how fucking nuts Slavic Pagans are, yes I can totally see them doing this sort of thing. Their entire religious practice consists of hating Jews and pumping out dozens of Russian kids in the woods, I can see it ending with women killing themselves at their husband's funerals.
Is any of this unusual for non-pagan Slavs?
>>
>>11042899
>Suttee is documented in every culture on Earth. It's literally just wives getting sad and killing themselves at their husband's funeral

Cope. It was forced.
>>
>>11042899
There’s something very savage, asiatic and uneuropean about Slavs. People can deny it all they want but in their heart and mind they’ve thought it.
>>
>>11042697
Romans thought faith was superstition. You had a duty to the gods, to engage in deep faith was just superstition and not looked well upon.
>>
>>11043163
Why do LARPagans act like Christians? They talk about having some kind of close personal relationship ship with the Gods. If you’re a pagan you’re suppose to sacrifice shit and get on with your life. There’s no deeply thinking about the Gods or acting like they’re your personal bestie who are always with you. That’s Christian mentality.
>>
>>11043120
Except in all of the cases where it wasn't, of course. Treating India like a monolith is idiotic. Treating every single funeral ever like a monolith is just retarded.

>>11043100
Yeah, Orthodox Christians have an abysmal birthrate and, apparently, aren't Anti-Semitic enough given that there's literal Noahide laws on the books in Russia and their country is run by Chabad Lubatich. Orthodox Christians also don't live in the woods or THE VVHEAT FIELDS OF RVSSIA, either; a lot of Slavic Pagans view agriculture as a religious act. This is sort of related to >>11043132 in that Russians as a whole are completely incapable of irony, so a lot of this stuff is absolutely bonkers (like the Slavic Vedas, or the Slavic Vedics, which are actually two separate religious groups but tl;dr "Aryan" actually means "Russia" and Russia is Hyperborea so praise Indra) but taken dead seriously. This is just one manifestation of that. The bizarrely large cult dedicated to character from The Rescuers is another.
>>
>>11043194
>religion is complicated and different peoples have different views on it even within ostensibly the same religion
Wow, how fucking shocking.
>>
>>11043194
Because christian mentality is deeply ingrained in western culture? As much as they might try, LARPagans can't get out of the christian mindset and compare and structure their religion according to how christianity works.
>>
>>11043217
Are there really that many Slavic pagans in Russia? I'd heard their number were growing noticeably, but I wouldn't have any way of confirming it. How marginal or influential are they?
>>
>>11042899
Ynglism is based praise Ramha and the slavic vedas
>>
>>11043419
About 1% of ethnic Russians are ethnic polytheists of some kind. This includes Slavic reconstructionists, but also ethnic Russian Hindus and Slavic Vedists, both of whom believe that the Hindu Gods are just manifestations of the Slavic Gods anyways. This number excludes non-Rus (obviously), and doesn't include whackier more new-age hippy types who in reality are just importing Western Protestantism via the Hippies, the "Counter-Culture". Think "Mother Goddess Age of Aquarius healing crystals" rather than "sacrificing a cow to Dazbog on the winter solstice". If we include the new-agey types it goes up to around 2%-3%. These numbers are fuzzy because Eastern Europe is shit at demography (remember, every single Ossetian is simultaneously an Assian, a Sunni Muslim, an Orthodox Christian, and an atheist), and a lot of these numbers are done at the State or provincial level where the numbers are often just flatout madeup for political purposes. Only 5% of Russians attend church at least once per year, but according to state media 99% of ethnic Rus are Orthodox Christians, after all.

So, we have to go off actual numbers reported at festivals, surveys, gatherings, etc. So, in Russia total, they're a minority (if we include non-ethnic Rus the number drops to like 70%), but if they all got together and bought some land in Siberia they could be their own ethnic group in a few generations (again, they're really big on breeding, apparently).

So, they're insignificant, but novel.
>>
>>11043499
>70%
Excuse me, 0.7%.
>>
There were common beliefs but many interpretations and variants down to the village level

Like West Africa

>There is a supreme god
>But he doesn’t give a shit
>But actually he does
>And the gods want offerings
>But not just any offerings
>They need to be autistic colors, ages, and species
>And nobody knows the future
>Except these wizards who do
>And magic is powerful
>But it won’t protect you from evil all the time
>And the wilderness is crawling with demons
>But some are good or neutral
>And dead people become scary ghosts
>Or they reincarnate
>Or they become gods
>>
>>11042823
>Assianism

was invented by nationalist intellectuals during perestroika
>>
>>11043217
So russian pagans will outbreak abrahamics. That's so based. Also russian Hinduism is based and pretty realistic, considering slavs are closer to indo-Aryans than semites or germanics, so it's very believable that they had their own vedas and believed in reincarnation.
>>
>>11042769
Wrong. It's the members. IF you look in any way shape or form to today's "pagans" who aren't hindu, you are a larper.
>>
>>11043532
>ussr intellectuals invented the scythians
lol

>>11043530
Yeah, people who are used to these air-fairy intellectual conceptions of centralized religions focused on man-made texts, like Christianity or Islam, often underestimate how diverse religion actually gets when people actually practice it. You see this a lot in Greek myth where every village would have a different story about Hercules impregnating some chick, and then when you survey Greece you find all seven hundred of these stories. But, each village, asked on their own, would deny the other 699 as having any validity (or at least just being hearsay). You also have the problem of characters having the same names getting conflated.
>>
>>11043499
So slavs are actually more successful in returning to their native religions than germanics and actually believe in their gods. That's pretty cool. The only difference between a cult and religion is the number of adherents
>>
>>11043593
Russian Hinduism is fucking retarded. Stop trying to ape Pajeet culture. We have our own unique Slavic traditions.
>>
>>11043593
>So russian pagans will outbreak abrahamics
I assume you mean outbreed. And the answer to that is no, Russia's large Islamic population is far more fertile than Russia's incredibly minor pagan population, so if anyone is going to take over Russia, it's going to be Muslims. Secondly, any such predictions would need to be at an outlook in centuries and would require them to even be able to keep those numbers of. Chechen mountain niggers have birthrates in the double digits in their mountains, but they also die at like age 20 due to alcohol induced violence and their birthrates plummet in the second generation if they leave the mountains. The same could probably be said of these Russian pagans, where I have to wonder how easily they can maintain these demographics if they were to actually form "a society" instead of being a subculture within the broader Rus society.

>>11043608
The Russians have a significant advantage in that they're only like 400 years out from Christianization. Remember, it wasn't until the 1600s that the Russian Orthodox Church actually bothered trying to Christianize the Russian people, for most of it's history the Russian Orthodox Church was only concerned with ensuring the doctrinal correctness of the nobility (which they were apparently very good at). This isn't to say that the peasants were in a bubble or something, just that they were given a very long period of time to come up with their own syncreticizations. A lot of Russian "folk lore" or "folk tales" or "folk customs" is literally just the Pagan religion. But then, that's how it is everywhere.
>>
>>11043615
What if your slavic traditions are wrong and Hinduism is the truth?
>>
File: christ-king.jpg (57 KB, 900x1204)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>11042697
>What is known about indigenous European religions in regards to their rites and how they actually worshipped their gods/engaged in spirituality?
That they are false and maybe made by demons.
>>
>>11043598
Not really
>>
>>11043601
Pretty much. In Mandinkaland every clan and village has their own spin on Sundiata that makes themselves the heroes or at least relevant to the story.
>>
>>11043648
Fair point. My grandpa said his grandpa said they didn’t really see a huge difference between Elijah and Perun. They both make thunder and fight monsters or something.
>>
>>11042697
I'm an academic studying Icelandic saga literature, so I'm only qualified to speak for Old Norse paganism - but I can tell you that we know virtually nothing of substance. The problem is that neopagan larpers will point to highly untrustworthy second-hand accounts of pagan rites written by European clergy who never saw a Norseman in their lives, and claim that it represents the authentic beliefs of their ancestors.
>>
>>11043652
What if Voodoo is right and you will become a ghost when you die? Fuck off
>>
>>11045010
but if you were voodoo you would be saying "we have our own unique voodoo traditions" and justifying it that's the point
>>
>>11044964
And I'm your mom, and I'm qualified to speak on your hygiene habits, overeating, and if you don't get a job within a month your father and I are kicking you out of your basement.
>>
File: HolyBible.jpg (3.45 MB, 2738x1825)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB JPG
They were horseshit so they didn't last, their "gods" were powerless to preserve them. Contrast that with the best selling book of all time, the Holy Bible, still here after 2000+ years in some form or another.
>>
>>11042697
You know that there's entire books on this subject, right? Hell, here's a quick one: Industrial Religion: The Saucer Pyres of the Athenian Agora. It's on libgen.
>>
>>11045149
>didn't last
m8 European paganism existed for uncounted millenia. Christianity had a good thousand years in the West and now it's rapidly declining.
>>
>>11045241
when you define paganism as "anything except christianity"
>>
>>11045255
Yes
>>
>>11045241
>rapidly declining
>poor reading comprehension
I did not say anything about to what degree it is followed as a religion. The question is why do we not *know anything* (substantial at least) of those pagan religions. Christianity, regardless of how followed or not it is in terms of sheer relative population at a given era, is absolutely preserved in writ...anyone at any time can go and research it and find tons of authentic information as to *what it is*. Original Euro paganism is almost and essentially 100% lost beyond a few vagaries. Its "gods" could not preserve it, they were *fake and gay*.
>>
File: rolls behind you.png (46 KB, 928x949)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>11042697
>This lack of knowledge about the actual religious practices is what makes neopagans LARPers.
Lol XD you merely larped as a pagan but my head came off for real XD!

Anyway, most of it is in riddles and, ironically, in plain sight.
It's in our language even today.
For example, birth, which, when spoken with a germanic accent (and English is a Germanic language) is Börs.

Bör, Buur or Buri, is a god figure, and Birthday, aka Börs Day, aka geBURtstag, aka Buursdag.
Is a relation to that, so when you are born, it is the day of Buri, which just means son.

Note: I said god figure, but the original ways had no figures, those came later for stories.
Odin for example is just you hanging upside down, from the tree of life (plancenta) by the umbilical cord, for 9 'nights' and you have thoughts and memory (hugin and munin).

Lodr is the hot blood coursing through you (in Germany we still use lodern in connection with Flames, Lodernde Flammen).
yrminsul (a holy tree) is just a stylized vaginal canal with ovaries and a womb at the end.
Lif is the lifeforce that everything has, even stones. It's not consciousness but just intrinsic force.

Etc.
Traditionally, age milestones for humans came in sevens, too.
The 21 is still used in some Germanic countries, albeit for the drinking age, when it used to be full maturity.
Or in the christianized middle ages, marked the end of knight training.

18 is foreign milestone, it's jewish, 18 is chaim, which means life in hebrew.

we had
0-6: second pregnancy outside of the womb cause you're a little shitty kid weakling that needs life support.
7-13: milk teeth are falling out and your permanent ones come in, which was seen as a sign that your ancestor (which is you from a past life) is manifesting in you
14-20: maturation and transfer of all assets and honor of your past life into you
21: full maturation.

It's also why we have seven as a lucky number (as well as 13, but that comes from some old swedish calendar)
Also, real elves.
>>
>>11045291
>Also, real elves.
For example
Alfred.
Elfriede.
Albion.
And all things of the 'alb' (aka elf) varietes, a Germanic word that means white/gleaming in its original.
In reallife non larping names.
In places.
In structures.
Etc.

Unfortunately I'm basically half alsleeep already I would elaborate a lot more.
But yeah.
it ain't just all lost.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.