[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Byzantine_Empire_802_AD.png (647 KB, 3998x1835)
647 KB
647 KB PNG
how the fuck did they last 1000 years? they were always surrounded by hostile neighbors that would constantly invade them
they even got taken out by crusaders but then lasted another 200 years, the fuck?
>>
>>10843078
A handful of exceptionally good Emperors and a very professional military
>They had military schools and manuals at a time that most of the world was illiterate
>>
by cooperating with those who tried to invade them
>>
BEcause they were the fucking roman empire

The fact they died at all was more surprising than them living so long

But with islam anything is possible, I geuss
>>
>>10843078
They inherited the most rich and defensible portion of the Roman Empire. They spent the majority of the next 1,000 years fucking everything up and getting dabbed on by Slavs and Muslims until things reached critical mass and Turks finally put them out of their misery.
>>
>>10843078
An Imperial Roman bureaucracy which hadn't changed since Diocletian died.
The Emperor had complete power over the state because of that and only had to contend with the Senate and army.
The underlying foundations of the Empire were extremely stable it quite literally took the fourth crusade to dismantle them. While in the East and West states were divided and could be further there was only one possible state in the Empire and that was their Empire.
They kept most of the Roman military traditions from the Late Empire and even kept the Legions in the form of the Tagma in just about the same military role and same military units from Constantine.
The Roman economy was completely monetized which allowed the Emperors to collect tax in coin rather then barter which could be used for military and administrative expenditure far easier then a cow could.

It was only until the 11th century where Western Europe caught up militarily as professional and disciplined armies were no longer the sole privilege of the Roman state. Still than they held many advantages which were to be envied.
>>
were based
>>
>>10843078
Many times they only controlled a small territory around Constantinople
>>
They spent all their efforts in those 1009 years, that's why Greece sucks now.
>>
>>10843611
>Byzantines
>Greece
Are you ok?
>>
>>10843641
I think you should study a little more.
>>
>>10843641
How did the operation go?
>>
>>10843112
the only reason they fell was because cannons were invented, constantinople is impossible to invade otherwise
>>
>>10843650
Roman Empire
Greece
Doesn't seem like the same thing to me
>>
>>10843078
>bad emperor fucks up
>is deposed by based good generals who reconquers the lost parts
>good emperor's heir is new bad emperor who gets deposed
>cycle repeats
>>
>>10843663
The Holy Roman Empire was also called Roman, do they look Roman to you?
>>
>>10843682
anon, do you know where the byzantine empire came from?
>>
>>10843682
The HRE also didn't have any people in it that called themselves Romans or believed themselves to be the same people as the Ancient Romans.
>>
>>10843694
I know where it came from, but the part where it was settled was massively of Greek culture.
>>
>>10843611
The reason modern Greece sucks is because perfidious Albion started financially raping them as soon as they won their independence from the roaches.
>>
>>10843695
I am not saying that the population of the Byzantine Empire did not say that they considered themselves Romans, I am saying that culturally and ethnically they were Greeks for the most part although they themselves considered themselves Romans.
>>
>>10843787
It is more the Late Roman culture naturally changing, after all 600 years is an absurd amount of time to see no change at all, they ended up having a culture far more in common with the Late Romans of Italy then the Ancient Greeks from Alexander's time, just because it isn't recognizably Classical Roman does not mean it isn't Roman culture. If you went by the same merit Roman culture of Augustus' time is not actually Roman because it is too different from that of the Kingdom or the Late Empire isn't Roman because it is too different from Augustus' Roman culture.

Court ceremony and the state itself remained entirely Roman. There was no Greek ideas in it that were not co opted by the Romans and made for their use.

Ethnicity is defined as 'the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.'. They both follow Roman culture and have a Roman identity, they cannot belong to the Greek ethnicity. They may be racially Greek but that is not ethnicity. These people were ethnic Romans.
>>
>>10843779
another well informed person on history, a rarity on /his/
>>
>>10843078
They bought off the invaders or hired them or let them inhabit border provinces.
>>
>>10843112

Roman until the 7th century. Once the emperors started having names like nikophoros and andronikos, it was just a Greek rump state
>>
>>10843112
YWNBAR
>>
>>10843641
>Located in greek-speaking areas
>Official language was greek
Byzatrannies are delusional in their roman wewuzzery
>>
Hellenicism had been established there since Alexander the Great I think.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.