[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How do hardcore Christians explain Göbekli Tepe?
>>
The same reason they can't explain why God wouldn't send Jesus to a more populated area of the world like China or India so the vast majority of humanity went to hell just for existing.
>>
>>10840774
Unnecessary. They already had their own prophets leading their people. Ancient religions like Hinduism didn't survive this long by being full of shit.
>>
what is there to explain?
>>
>>10840808
Young Earth Creationists believe that the world it 6,000-10,000 years old. Göbekli Tepe is 12,000 years old.
>>
>>10840819
That doesn't necessarily make their belief wrong, per se, but it does require them to push back to about 15000 to 20000 years old.
>>
>>10840819
oh i see. All the christians I know don’t believe that. I thought it was only americans that thought the earth was that young
>>
>>10840790
Hinduism has been completely rewritten retard
>>
>>10840838
but the dating of the world is based on the bible. the 10,000 years number is the absolute limit of what is a reasonable interpretation. going beyond this would open you up to all sorts of convenient interpretations of inconvenient line, at which point the coherence of hardcore christianity runs apart.
the only way really is to just say its dated wrong.
>>
>>10840848
That's because it knows to adapt.
>>
>>10840760
It was put there to test our faith anon. I pray for you, please turn to Christ your Lord and savior.
>>
>>10840852
Why couldn't you just say it's dated wrong then? What are we going by here anyway? The lifespans given in Genesis?
>>
Non-Adamic races
>>
>>10840819
>Young Earth Creationists
That's easy, just don't be a biblical literalist. Christians of the third century already considered the idea of biblical literalism ridiculous, and indeed the ancient testament is pretty far from internally coherent (and pretty much every scholar agree it has been tampered to high heaven by centuries of ancient jews, and sloppily at that -> who killed Goliath, David or Elhanan?), so if the yec guys are your standard, they don't need to explain you shit about gobekli tepe, they got bigger issues to solve.
>>
>>10840774
>B-bb-but something something chosen people
>>
>>10840841
Keyword hardcore
>>
>>10840910
Protestantism is build on faith solely from the Bible. If you disregard the Bible, you disregard Protestantism.
>>
>>10840910
>That's easy, just don't be a biblical literalist

the Bible literally doesnt say when the earth was created and it literally doesnt say Adam was the first man.
Those interpretations arent literal
>>
>>10840760
>Not a tree in sight
>Use timber to construct walkways
>>
>>10840819
Why would that be an issue for them? Those people literally deny that dinosaur bones are millions of years old, why do you think a couple thousands years will all of a sudden be difficult to write off?
>>
>>10840944
>you disregard Protestantism
Indeed, I do.
>>
>>10840957
If you trace the genealogy of Adam, you will come to the conclusion that man was created from 6,000 - 10,000 years ago, according to the bible.
>>
>>10840774
Almost all of the human beings on Earth were born after the advent of Christ. I forget the exact number but I believe it was like 2% of people were born before him.
>>
>>10840819
Obviously they are wrong then.
>>
>>10840760
There is nothing to explain.
>>
>>10840944
Protestants are idolators and the book is their golden bull.
>>
>>10841022
That's still millions of people rotting in hell for the lolz though
Never mind that, how is a god that's supposedly not just perfectly benevolent, but benevolence itself, okay with damning people to an eternity in hell?
>>
>>10840760
>Hardcore christians
>Actually thinking about how their theology would handle prehistoric peoples

lol
>>
>>10841084
Think of all the Arians in hell like Constantine or all the catholics and all the other illiterate Christians who didn't know reading the Bible (written by men) and interpreting without any oversight was the only way you could get into heaven.
>>
>>10841092
This. Hell, Christians still haven't come up with a coherent explanation as to why John places the Crucifixion on a different day than the Synoptic Gospels. Most don't even seem to be aware of the contradiction.
>>
>>10841084
There are people I've spoken to who have told me that they would prefer to be in hell rather than heaven. Are you saying that God is wrong for respecting their agency? Because that would imply that enslaving people is better than letting them be free.
>>
>>10841104
>John places the Crucifixion on a different day than the Synoptic Gospels
If I could prove to you that there was no contradiction here, would you become a Christian?
>>
>>10841134
No. But I would be less inclined to view all Christians everywhere as ignorant of their own holy books at best, and absolute retards most of the time. You still have a host of other serious theological issues before you can even so much clear Christianity out of the "obviously false" territory, most of them sourced in the Bible itself, since despite Christian claims, the OT is actually extremely at odds with the NT.
>>
>>10840774
What are you talking about? God sent Jesus to the best place and time: the Roman Empire at its height. Far more important than India and China. lol
>>
>>10841156
Damn I guess God is eurocentric then.
>>
>>10841144
Okay, so then you don't actually care. What is your actual issue with Christianity? Clearly it has nothing to do with the historicity of John.
>>
>>10840760
Misdated
>>
>>10840774
Because God made that pact with Abraham since he believed. Apperently the ancestors of the Chinese didn't. So it is perfectly just
>>
>>10841177
I care a great deal. And as for why? It's because of the Bible, funnily enough. You took a very interesting and I may even say beautiful work of literature in the form of the Old Testament, and then tacked on a bunch of fancfictiony bullshit onto it, and then somehow made it more popular than the original thing. It offends my sense of aesthetics, in a similar way that the popularity of things like Twilight, only to a much greater degree since the scope of its impact and the sloppiness of the theology is far greater.

By the way, you still haven't come up with an actual defense. I could use a good laugh, try to justify how all the Synoptic Gospels are clear that the Last supper is eating the Passover lamb, but at the same time, John is equally clear that the next morning, when Jesus is being brought before Pilate, said lamb has not been eaten yet.
>>
>>10841225
>It offends my sense of aesthetics
Why do you think that I care about that?
>>
>>10840878
say whats dated wrong? gobelki tepe? yes like i said, thats the only viable solution, along with practically all other carbon dating.
and yes, we're going by lifespans.
>>
>>10841225
How the fuck is Harold Bloom posting on /his/? He died two years ago.
>>
>>10841272
Green bamboo mystery peanut.
>>
>>10840774
>>10840924
>why would God be obligated to fulfill his promises
Yep, it's another "atheists don't know why keeping your word is a big deal" and "atheists have never read the Bible" thread.
>>
>>10841311
Amusingly enough, it's part and parcel of Christian theology that God most explicitly does NOT always keep His promises. Otherwise you're left with thorny questions like how can you possibly reconcile Supercessionism with Deuteronomy's 4th chapter.
>>
>>10841309
...What?
>>
>>10840790
Yes dope response, that is why I made a new personal religion called Prophetism where all prophets are workers for The Lord, almost nobody has a False Prophet but are all part of The Cosmic One, God who sends us holy men to give humanity constant guidance towards goodness.
>>
>>10841342
You responded with a total non-sequitur. I thought it would only be polite to do the same. Unless of course you routinely ask questions on subjects you don't care about, but that seems rather unlikely.
>>
>>10841389
So in other words you are going to behave in a completely unreasonable manner, because you are an unreasonable person. You may not even be aware of this, but you are the archetypal atheist.
>>
>>10841423
Anon, whatever on earth made you think I was an atheist? I most certainly am not. And I think it's quite reasonable to point out that someone has said something completely incoherent.
>>
>>10840774
Because the Levant is a crossroads of three continents and china is isolated
>>
>>10840819
Young Earth creationists are a pretty small group of people. The Bible itself doesn't actually say how old the Earth is.
>>
>>10841095
Saints from Athos report visions of Caonstantine being in heaven.
>>
>>10840852
Which Bible LXX, MT or the various other traditions which have different dates that mess the whole project up?
Byzantines held to LXX timeline for example.
>>
>>10840876
Were the old European settlements, giant cities, art or the ancient Chinese cultures with such advanced pottery all put there to test us?
Was the trading between many of them across the world, put there for our test?
It looks like earth was vibrant with conscious human life, they had their own tests and their own life. Kind of hostile to write them off for your own pride.
>>
>>10840910
>Christians of the third century already considered the idea of biblical literalism ridiculous
this is so fucking wrong, just another meme christards share around to justify their bogus beliefs. early christians (aside from a few intellectual autists like origen) ABSOLUTELY believed the events in genesis are literal
>>
>>10842748
>ABSOLUTELY believed the events in genesis are literal

you dont know what Genesis literally says
>>
>>10841104
There's chronological error in the Gospels, events have different clarifications, details. They're meant to be read together, they are all inspired and preserved together.
Most of the visible practices of the Church come from John's Gospel, today and in centuries following Pentecost.
>>
>>10842754
i've read it
>>
>>10840774
China and India have been global backwaters until very recently. Placing him there at that time resulted in Christianuty spreading across the globe. Also, those who don't know Christ are not condemned.
>>
>>10840819
Young earth creationists are a heretical subset of a heretical branch of the faith
>Evangelists
>>
>>10842748
>(aside from a few intellectual autists like origen)
>aside from the most influential thinker of the early church
I'm sure this sounded plausible when you wrote it down, but it actually makes you look retarded.
>>
>>10840760
How does anyone explain gobekli tepe? Its proof that a flood restarted civilization 10k years ago
>>
>>10840848
no it hasnt
>>
>>10841002
or you could come to the common sense conclusion that the genealogy of adam is legendary and adam himself is mythological
>>
>>10841380
That already exists, it's called perennialism.
Also, only degenerate egomaniacs want and think that they can create new religions.
>>
>>10842804
Ok then literal means going by exactly what is said in text.
>>
>>10840819
Gobekli Tepe could be only 6kya.
Most of history could be a fabrication.
Think about how little you know today in an age when information is so readily catalogued and accessible.
>>
>>10841272
Why are you avoiding his challenge? Not up to it?
>>
>>10842966
If Adam himself is mythological and his genealogy is legendary, then what's original sin actually about and why am I subject to it?
>>
>>10841167
Yes. Indeed.
>>
>>10840819
>Göbekli Tepe is 12,000 years old.
Prove it.
>>
>>10841134
The Crucifixion was on a Wednesday, fight me.
>>
>>10840910
>Christians of the third century already considered the idea of biblical literalism ridiculous
They still believed the Earth was less than 10,000 years old. All Christians automatically accepted that until Darwin and even then you had the Council of Cologne in 1860 which opposed evolution.
>>
>>10845564
>They still believed the Earth was less than 10,000 years old. All Christians automatically accepted that until Darwin

proof?
>>
>>10845564
>>10846237
Again i dont think you people understand what literal actually means.
Literal means exactly whats in the texts.

"Well Adam was obviously the first man even though it doesnt specifically say that" <------ this is not a literal interpretation

"Well it doesnt actually give a date so im gonna just add up ages of these people that fill in gaps to get the age" <----- also not a literal interpretation
>>
>>10840760
I am not a hardcore Christian or even a Christian at all, but Abraham definitely originated around there.
>>
>>10841167
>eurocentric
all prophets were levantines
>>
>>10840819
if you told them this they'd tell you the same things they say about all dating processes: It's flawed, or falsified, or a Godly test or devilish prank. This site is even easier for them to brush off than plate tectonics, dinosaurs and limestone.

I'm sure to YE creationists (a pretty slim minority) GT could easily be just another pre-flood site where folks got smote for idolatry or buggery or holding Sabbath on Saturday or something.
>>
>>10846253
>i dont think you people understand what literal actually means.

This, please stop calling everything a literal interpretation.
Literal means exactly whats written, not "well actually it means this"

Genesis literally does not say Adam was the first man and it literally does not give a year of his creation. So any interpretation claiming either of these things is not a literal interpretation.
>>
>>10840865
Yes, let's adapt to winning the conquest over Buddhist by adopting veganism, then after all their offspring are short fucks becos of it, let's strengthen the caste system and make people forget the rituals you can use to climb up the caste ladder, so that when the Marathas fnally start winning against Mughals, they just hire Muslims as puppet rulers because they aren't brahmins or ksatriyas so they refuse to rule land. This lands would swtch over back to Mughals, Persians, khalistan or the Brits.
>>
>>10840790
The middle east already had prophets too?
>>
>>10842811
China was not a backwater until the Qing dynasty.
>>
>>10840819
>>10840760
>Taking time to reply objectively retarded postures
>>
>>10842811
>China and India have been global backwater until recently
GTFO. If you don't know the basics of history you should not be in this board.
>>
>>10846491
Until the LATE Qing. The 18th century was their last golden age.
>>
>>10846432
>let's adapt to winning the conquest over Buddhist by adopting veganism
Is there a single country of Buddhists where they're even vegetarian?
>>
>>10847000
True
>>
>>10842804
In Hebrew?
>>
>>10840819
>Young Earth Creationists
so seventh day Adventists and 87 year old Serbian women who smoke in church?
>>
>>10840760
It's clearly the ruins of a antediluvian civilization wiped out in the Great Flood.
>>
>>10844160
Original sin is some weird Catholic shit that the Bible doesn't mention once.

The story of Eden is an etiological tale for the origin of a particular type of civilization and the assumed spiritual qualities of that civilization.
It has absolutely no moral character whatsoever without some HEAVY extrapolation and conjecture.
>>
File: Iqs8hw0.jpg (37 KB, 400x386)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>10842811
>China and India have been global backwaters until very recently
Please shut the fuck up retard
>>
>>10842811
>You must be over 18 to post on this site.
>>
>>10841380
That also sounds like judaism.
>>
>>10846432
>the rituals you can use to climb up the caste ladder
I need a quick rundown
>>
>>10840819
>Young Earth Creationists believe that the world it 6,000-10,000 years old.
even the 10000 year number is an adaptation to some discovery.
>>
>>10849698
That's exactly what they would think, build during the great time where humans could live for 1000 years

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.