[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I personally find our education system to be a joke. It’s outdated and flawed. I for one would scrap the whole thing. I personally dislike how education straps you in with all the other students so you all have to learn at the same speed. It makes learning feel like a chore and once you get out of school you might be put off towards many intellectual topics due to how school manages itself. I really like how libertarians support the no schooling movement. It lets kids just do whatever they want and learn what they want. I think this is fine becuase most kids don’t remember anything they learn in school anyway. And for higher education, I would want things to be similar. Universities should just be replaced with libraries, either online or actual libraries. I don’t see a reason to have all the structure that universities currently have. People should simply learn what they want at their own time. I would have degrees either. If employers care, they could just find ways to filter out bad employees by specific tests. And if people really want to still have degrees they could do so without having to have all the classes and hours you have to complete for a degree. Instead it would just be one cumulative test to see how well you understand the subject. This is something that is already done if you look at how lawyers are liscenced to practice law. They take one test, the bar exam. Yes they go to law school but that wasn’t always the case. Universities just realized that they’d make more money by requiring a law degree to take the bar.
>>
I've ranted about this countless of times so I'm not bothering but yes it sucks, the majority of people graduate high school without even understanding math.
>>
I just think college is pretty much a huge waste of money and is only useful for signaling to employers or getting an academic position. But it is perfectly reasonable to learn subjects like philosophy and theoretical physics without stepping foot in a classroom.
>>
>>10242526
Encourage apprentiships and lower global school hours to 7-6 hours a day. Dont worry OP there are efforts worldwide to improve education that works with students
>>
>>10242526
1. Divide children by IQ at first and test scores later on
2. More emphasis on history, philosophy, and religion
3. Encourage businesses to scout students once they enter high school, encourage apprenticeships from around that time too
>>
File: Wallace.png (192 KB, 481x347)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
>>10242526
Ban Critical Theory and all of its progeny.

Boom. Academia is fixed.
>>
File: 5soybottle.png (25 KB, 473x557)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>10242526
>I personally find our education system to be a joke. It’s outdated and flawed. I for one would scrap the whole thing. I personally dislike how education straps you in with all the other students so you all have to learn at the same speed. It makes learning feel like a chore and once you get out of school you might be put off towards many intellectual topics due to how school manages itself. I really like how libertarians support the no schooling movement. It lets kids just do whatever they want and learn what they want. I think this is fine becuase most kids don’t remember anything they learn in school anyway. And for higher education, I would want things to be similar. Universities should just be replaced with libraries, either online or actual libraries. I don’t see a reason to have all the structure that universities currently have. People should simply learn what they want at their own time. I would have degrees either. If employers care, they could just find ways to filter out bad employees by specific tests. And if people really want to still have degrees they could do so without having to have all the classes and hours you have to complete for a degree. Instead it would just be one cumulative test to see how well you understand the subject. This is something that is already done if you look at how lawyers are liscenced to practice law. They take one test, the bar exam. Yes they go to law school but that wasn’t always the case. Universities just realized that they’d make more money by requiring a law degree to take the bar.
>>
>>10242777
Checked.
>>
>>10242526
Only about 10-15% of students should be mentally-capable of handling a university-level education. It should be a challenge. If more people than that are getting university degrees, it means that those degrees are largely worthless, and don't actually signify intelligence or ability.
>>
completely cut off children from the outside world and expose them solely to 80s brazilian pop culture
>>
>>10242770
honestly true. so many lazy "academics" just painting by the numbers to get their faggy PhDs
>>
>>10242526
Whats the deal with mutts hating education? Is it because of the "everything I say is right and the more people disagree the more right am I" attidute?
>>
>>10242862
It's because a lot of schools are fucking horrible. Responsible parents literally can't even send their kids to a large number of public schools because those schools are flat-out too shitty or violent.
>>
>>10242862
I’m not whimsy education. I’m against the type of formal education we have here. It’s hard to defend it. Lectures are worthless and outdated. Everyone has to learn at the same pace and they all have the learn the same stuff. Learning shouldn’t be something that children hate, but becuase of our school system, that’s how it is. The super individualistic types who homeschool tend to report their kids enjoying their learning experience far more than those who go the government warehouses we call schools.
>>
>>10242824
Why Brazilian and why 80s?
>>
>>10242862
Extreme, paranoid, distrust of any and all authority figures. Americans literally dont trust anyone. A doctor could tell them to have surgery to remove a tumor and they'd assume it's part of a conspiracy to castrate them or something.
>>
>>10242958
are you making a remark about infant circumcision?
>>
>>10242935
>Everyone has to learn at the same pace and they all have the learn the same stuff.
Because the point is to teach the same things (reading, writing, basic functioning in society). Finnland and Poland do the the same and they have some of the best results in the world. With Finnland being extremely egalitarian in their schooling and not separating the smart kids from the slow ones.

>tend to report their kids
The parents, right? Not the kids.
>>
File: Barndoor_Hills_original.jpg (459 KB, 1280x964)
459 KB
459 KB JPG
>>10242526
More practical education. Teach them the basics of farming (soil acidity, climate, genetics of animals and crops, how to process crops into food, etc.) It has the double benefit of being a source of physical development and exercise in the outdoors.
Seriously, it sounds bizarre but learning how to operate a farm inadvertently teaches you so many skills. The math for the financial side and tracking your bushels and so on, the biology in animal breeding and crop development, the chemistry in the soil and water makeup, economics, etc. It's all there.
Obviously just teaching people to be farmers isnt useful on its own, especially in the 21st century when machines and computers do this work 100X more efficiently than people. The agricultural education would only be a part of the curriculum. Things like Philosophy, History, etc. Would be taught through more traditional manners, but ideally the school would teach kids to be curious and how to properly conduct their own research, I find that learning is a million times more effective when someone pursues it on their own volition and free time.
>>
>>10242979
Homeschooled kids also outperform public school kids in college. It’s ssimply a better system. And yes you have to teach reading writing and math. But why should everyone study at the same pace, and why should everyone read the same books in English class? It’d be better to have school be more individualistic. There really is no excuse for still having lectures anymore when a person is literate. They don’t need to hear you repeat what they already read.
>>
>>10242770
This
>write my honest feelings on the subject and explore them to the best of my ability
D
>copy paste a page from wikipedia
B-
>>
Everyone who can should be homeschooled. People who want to learn more as adults should read what they are interested in and that should be that. No need to over complicate things. We should just make education more accessible to people. None of this bullshit of having 200 dollar textbooks. Put more money into public libraries. I’m tired of the bullshit education system we have that is built entirely for your employer so he can filter out the bad employees.
>>
>>10242770
Yeah keeping id/pol/ out of education so people can focus on developing actual skills instead of being forced into being brainwashed into whatever the fuck billionaires want is better for everyone
>>
>>10242979
Both parents and kids from why I’ve seen.
>>
>>10243019
>Homeschooled kids also outperform public school kids in college.
Lemme guess, only White people, with enough free time, homeschool their kids? And public schools are shit in America too, right?
>>
>>10243045
Well, you generally need to have one parent stay at home if you are going to home school. So I guess. Are they mostly white? Probably. Anyway, it’s not like teachers are anything special. If you can get good textbooks and can read, you’re pretty much good to go. At my law school we have great professors. Everyone is from either Harvard Yale or Stanford. But you learn everything from reading the textbooks. The idea that teachers matter has never been my experience.
>>
>>10243062
>Anyway, it’s not like teachers are anything special.
That depends on the educational system in question, but the point is that the child learns within community of other kids which matters a lot.

>The idea that teachers matter has never been my experience.
Then you must be a special boy. Homeschooling and textbooks were the norm for the past year and it sucked big time from perspective of most people.
>>
>>10242526
Having a curriculum available online, and leaving it up to parents to decide how to educate their kids

With emphasis on mathematics and science being core tenets
Science being physics, chemistry, anatomy, and geology

Subjects like history, philosophy, etc would exist to, but would be less important

Recreation centers and parks would exist to encourage physical health and sportsmanship
>>
>>10242872
90% of people don't deserve to be parents
>>
>>10243131
>leaving it up to parents to decide how to educate their kids
awful idea
see >>10243133
>>
>>10242810
Retard
>>
>apply for college again because I realized no matter how fucked the field is History is the only thing I can focus on for long periods of time
>No shitting you at least half of the classes are recent subjects that can barely be covered in depth, boring as fuck US history, women rights, gender, holocaust, history of Jews, and racism history.
>everything concerning europe lumped into one thing like world civilization, early west, modern west and crusades
Im interested in eastern history and ancient civilizations in the east so this doesnt impact me too much but holy fuck I forgot how bad its gotten
>>
>>10242526
I would make all educational institutions especially colleges promote only nothing but a pro-american and pro patriotic nationalist agenda. I would only promote patriotic history none of this postmodern crap or Marxist crap that shoved down our throats. We would be teaching are children the real history of this country and not fake history like the idea that the 2020 election was a free and fair election it was not it was stolen.

Again I'm afraid that the secret police is going to take me away if I make any more comments on the 2020 election especially in light of the recent debacle on Capitol Hill. I'm afraid for the first time in my life time to speak out because I think the secret police is coming to get me. But that is my thing I would teach Americans nothing but Pro American Pro patriotic history in our education and teach children that the election was stolen but I cannot say anything more I'm afraid right now.
>>
>>10243195
Why not study abroad?
>>
>>10243210
go back to facebook
>>
>>10243236
Im planning to, and I want to do my masters abroad but before I do that I have to get my grades back up and get used to college again. I hope my first option accepts me though because my my second university’s only interesting language is mandarin, other one has modern greek and italian
>>
>>10243131
Nobody has time for that shit. We need a solid, well funded public school system. You know like America did when it was at the zenith of world power, and like Canada did when we were America's wise cracking side kick
>>
>>10243210
>We would be teaching are children the real history of this country and not fake history
the leftists say exactly the same tripe. none of of you have any patience to learn history that you might be able to teach it
>>
File: 1595186635814.png (560 KB, 600x600)
560 KB
560 KB PNG
>>10242526
1. Restructure education to the Stoic trifecta of Logics/Physics/Ethics:
>Logics - languages and mathematics
>Physics - natural and cultural science, and history as governed by science
>Ethics - how to succeed in life and be an upstanding human being
2. Repeal compulsory schooling, make the entire curriculum public, and let children educate themselves however they see fit.
3. Repurpose schools into course and exam facilities:
>courses as offered by schools are free for everyone to take and class arrangements form from voluntary association
>exams as hosted by schools are free for everyone to take; only passing the exams is required to get the right diplomas
>>
>>10242526
school is day care; purpose is to keep kids off the streets & out of the gangs & whorehouses. education is secondary.
>>
>>10243447
based

school doesn't teach philosophy and critical thinking. what are your values? children need to be made to think about this. heck, they need to be made to think. 30 minutes of quiet time, just to think. my dad took me to the mosque while he was hanging around and I had no one to play with there, just walked around silently as a 6th grader, thinking, thought about a lot of stuff, helped make me who I am. but tests are necessary. for high school especially, competition always exists, especially for uni admissions.
>>
>>10243483
being trapped all day with a bunch of smelly annoying psychopaths was bad for my curiosity.
>>
>>10242526
Replace all male white historical figures with black men and do it all at once without any warning and act like it was always that way once confronted about it
>>
I think that there's a good chance that the top 1% of teachers/professors will always do a better job at breaking down and explaining things to students (while not being too dry) than the bottom 80%. They're probably miles and miles ahead in that ability.
If there was some way to incentivize that top 1% to produce their best ideal series of lectures for a subject, maybe it would help even the playing field. Teachers/professors would still have their jobs in order to be there physically in the classroom to attend to additional questions and extra help.
>>
>>10242526
Step one: dissolve the department of education.
>>
>>10243045
>And public schools are shit in America too, right?
Only in shit states. Massachusetts is great.
>>
>>10243195
>I study at a Liberal Arts college
>courses offered are actually interesting, niche areas are offered (British India, Tang era China, Russian 19th century, The Caribbean in the Cold War, etc.)
You're just unlucky my man.
>>
>>10243210
Poor Bait, tried too hard to sound like a Boomer.
>>
Teachers should be payed 3x and should be connotated to a way higher status, like a doctor.
>>
>>10245209
Yeah I am, Im actually looking at another college and it has vastly superior amount of history courses so I guess despite being more popular the university just puts nothing into its history department. I still have time to apply for others so ill keep doing my research
>>
>>10242526
PRIVATIZE
>>
Abolish Common Core as it makes school systems inflexible and unable to suit the varied needs of different school districts. Move education away from “critical theory” and more towards practicality and critical thinking. Get parents to be more invested in their children’s education instead of them using school as a babysitter. I think an ideal school system would be partially homeschool, where children learn practical skills from their parents, and partially go to school to learn about logic and reasoning, all at their own pace
>>
>>10242526
Create an educational network focussed around educational audio video content similar to a lecture series. This content would be available to access at any public school in the country and produced by highly skilled educators and video producers.

There would be a choice of instructor within any subject area. Students can pick and choose between them, not being restricted to any one teacher or subject. The most engaging and competent professors may thus naturally garner larger audiences and more students.

Incompetent instructors would not have a platform on the service. Being a government facilitated platform, a system of rules would be in place to encourage honest pedagogy and remove bad faith actors in a manner that strives for transparency and impartiality.

Students are always encouraged to be productive, but self directed in their studies. Schools will be redesigned to enable both independent and group study. Typical classrooms would be converted to study rooms in which specific content can be preselected and played for groups on large, easy to use wall size tv screens. Individual learners can move to more solo study areas to study independently or alongside like minded learners.

The goal of these spaces is to facilitate self directed activities. Using intrinsic motivation, students may progress rapidly in one area or another as per their interests. In this way they will be prepared for life in the "real world" as free, right holding citizens.
>>
>>10244193
Based and bluepilled
>>
1. Get the government out of education
2. ???
3. Profit
>>
>>10246412
Oh, and to decentralize video production you could disseminate production equipment and standards to many locations. You wouldn't want all teachers coming from one place that may have a singular ideological bias.

Also, Montesorri
>>
>>10246412
Why even need to go to school then? Just do everything from home.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.