[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: question.png (8 KB, 400x400)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
Is religion right? Or is it just a bunch of hocus pocus and we should just strive to improve and optimize our lives materially, ignoring all those religious rules about sins, practices, etc.
>>
>>10241104
>Is religion right?
No
>>
all religions are lies.
>>
>>10241104
Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.
>>10241127
>>
>>10241104
the essence of religions, the moral/ethics part is quite useful, the rest is brothers grimm.
Just make your own religion, we are spiritual beings in a human costumes after all.
>>
>>10241127
>Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.
>>10241130
>>
>>10241104
practices like fasting and other rules
>>
Just a bunch of hocus pocus. Work on your material wealth, health, love, friendships, family, hobbies, art, help your community, and spend some time in nature, meditate to get your head straight sometimes try to enjoy yourself.

For you religious people I’ll use your language. Reality is god, that ethos is the best philosophy to line up with reality. God wants you to do those things.
>>
>>
>>10241223
What about casual sex? Attending mass and other religious festivals? Fasting? Marriage? Baptism? Reading the Bible?
>>
>>10241223
What about masturbation, homosexuality, abortion, infanticide?
>>
They're all cope for death, the unknown and stuff like that
>>
>>10241236
Sex is fine, never went to a religious festival as a Christian, go to regular festivals lol, fasting is good if it benefits you, get married if you want, read the Bible if you want
>>
>>10240110
What about shots? What about friendly fire? What about death?
>>
File: 13053630-16x9-xlarge.jpg (64 KB, 862x485)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>
>>10241242
Stay safe and healthy and it’s better to abort a fetus that can’t think or feel yet than it is to raise a child the parents don’t want and will fail to take care of.
>>
>>10241233
>>10241281
What about volleys?
>>
>>10241252
There are no well defined sins, dumbass.
It's all blurry except for the 10 comandents, which are not enough in my opinion. They need to be adjusted to these modern times.
Like.. it's a sin to bankrupt a country in order to get rich?
It's a sin to exploit people and what does that exactly mean?
There are lots of ways to upset your "brother, sisters, friends" which the bible hasn't covered.
>>
>it's a "christkeks are preparing themselves to ask about why they should follow you instead of a book because they lack this much self-awareness" episode
>>
>>10241104
I grew up Christian, then had an edgy atheist phase and grew out of it, renewing my faith.
Then I started debating Muslims. They had tricky arguments, so I had to learn more about my own religion and theirs. In the end I decided both were not in line with reality so I became agnostic.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (41 KB, 480x360)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>10241104
it always works
>>
>>10241104
Whether or not you think there's a higher power out there, it's fundamentally good for a human being to have faith in some sort of ideal. Try to be a good person, avoid making enemies if you can, try to help people if you can (but don't do it at too great expense of yourself), and try to live a life that you can enjoy, and be proud of.
Regardless of if you believe in God, Gods, or no divine beings, it's good to do.

>>10241236
>>10241242
Well, what do YOU FEEL is morally right?

Abortion for instance is a divisive question, on one hand there's the argument that you're murdering a person who's done nothing wrong, on the other there's the argument of forcing someone to bear a child, in some instances cruelly forced upon a woman who never wanted to bear a child with her abuser.

You can ask, should this child to be, who has yet to make a single moral or intellectual decision, pay for the horrible crimes of their father? Yet still, should a woman be forced by a monster to birth a child she never asked for and didn't want? It's a very serious responsibility to raise a child, and if you asked the average woman (leaving out the insane ideologues), if they wanted to bear a child, would they be fine with just any father, even an abuser who doesn't even help raise them, or would they want a choice in who the father of their children should be? I think almost all women would say that they would want to make a very conscious decision on the matter.

I myself cannot make a firm decision on this point. Note that I don't include reckless sex where the willing participants had the opportunity to be safe but chose not to, I think that's a really poor excuse to abort a child.
>>
a bunch of hocus pocus.

the Bible was literally created to control people.
There used to be a huge collection of scrolls with stories on them, then some guy who's name I forgot decided that we needed a bible. All the stories that lined up and followed his ideology were combined into the Bible. The rest of the scrolls were all burned.
>>
>>10241509
>The rest of the scrolls were all burned.
Weren't a few of them found?
>>
>>10241525
probably, yeah
>>
>>10241509
>The rest of the scrolls were all burned.
This seems to be a common motif.
>>
>>10241104
Religions are "right" insofar as the spiritual path is legitimate and they encourage individuals along that path. They are not "right" in that they are perfect or immaculate emanations from God. They are like a darkened lens through which one may see the Truth, but are not themselves the Truth.
>>
>>10241697
what, are you implying this is some kinda conspiracy theory?
>>
>>10241223
Have you ever had a religious experience or had a spiritual practice for any period of time?
>>
>>10241753
Then it follows that there can only be one truth, meaning only one religion is the closest to the truth.
>>
>>10241764
Yeah I was a Christian for most of my life, no idea why you guys hype it up so much. Plenty of profoundly moving experiences elsewhere in life.
>>
>>10241252
atheism and materialism is a cope for not wanting to face the consequences of the afterlife
thats why it was endorsed by hedonists since ancient greece
>>
>>10241841
Prove there is an afterlife first
>>
>>10241841
bump

every atheist comes crawling back to God on their deathbed
>>
>>10241841
>thats why it was endorsed by hedonists since ancient greece

That's stupid, if the afterlife exists then why doesn't everybody just be ascetic martyrs so they can get there faster like the early christians were?

The truth is we don't know if there is an afterlife, all we have are tales and visions of it.
>>
>>10241782
They can all peek at the truth of reality, but codified "religion" will commit errors because they are constructed by human minds, often being transmitted orally before behind written, and then changed, and translated over time, and then more they serve many purposes. My belief is that the simpler the religious instruction, and the more it emphasizes personal experience, the more reliable it is.
>>
File: Hitchens.jpg (8 KB, 259x194)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>10241869
>every atheist comes crawling back to God on their deathbed

This man literally had cancer and died an atheist.
>>
>>10241868
prove it doesn't exist
>>
>>10241810
Perhaps I should rephrase my question. Have you ever had a religious experience or had a genuine, self directed spiritual practice?
>>
>>10241885
>replying to christkek trolls
>>
>>10241885
hitchens was a twat
>>
>>10241892
A “religious experience” to a non-religious person is just a deeply profound experience, Christianity involves dedicated spiritual practice.
>>
>>10241454
>asked the average woman (leaving out the insane ideologues), if they wanted to bear a child, would they be fine with just any father,
>even an abuser who doesn't even help raise them
Roastoids would preferentially pick abusechads over beta male nice guys
>>
>>10241841
A lot of people just genuinely don't believe in those things. They don't believe in things that don't pass through their intellect or defy their senses. To those people I would encourage embodiment practices because they likely suffer a kind of closed experience and dulled senses (which most people experience because of the stultifying forces of culture)
>>
>>10241914
Well, what if I said "spiritual experience". Would you take that to mean something different?

Many Christians don't actually practice, that is, pray every day or read the bible regularly so I felt the need to be more specific
>>
>>10241927
You grew up in a single parent household.

>>10241869
Pat Tillman didn't.
>>
>>10242127
The army murdered Pat Tillman
>>
>>10241972
I would tell you these experiences are psychological rather than due to some spiritual force in reality, and yes. I’ve had more profound experiences on a mountain, at a concert, with friends or on a lake than in a church.
>>
>>10241943
>A lot of people just genuinely don't believe in those things.
like 90% of society? it kinda sucks living in with materialistic people
>>
>>10241104
even when i was an agnostic i found value in the teachings of Christianity, to some point i was against atheists because i thought that keeping the plebs religious would be better for society overall
>>
>>10242169
Yes they did.

>>10242366
Well, some things are done just because it's tradition to do so, not because it's necessarily good, meanwhile, some things are tradition because they're actually good.
>>
>>10241104
What if religion is an evolutionary survival strategy
>>
>>10242481
Sure it is, my religion is worshiping reality
>>
>>10242495
What is real faggot
>>
>>10242504
The unlikelihood of you having desire for a good faith conversation
>>
>>10241104
Religion is all hocus pocus, but religious believers are not liars. Hocus pocus can have very real benefits. Just don't get sucked in by manipulative religions and learn not to fear irrational experiences.
>>
>>10241104
Arguing whether it’s true or not is a waste of time. It all comes down to faith.
The question then becomes whether or not it’s useful and it very much is.
You can’t just leave people without moral direction but give them a bunch of pleasure machines. People are more complicated than just what their living conditions are. The rich man not being happy is a trope, but there’s truth to it. People need more to strive for and more to give them hope. We have to believe in something larger than our material circumstances, something ideal. We’re starting down this path now and what do we have? Suicide rates have sky rocketed. Most people love their days die nothing but pleasure. People remain ignorant and self-obsessed en mass. We need something to reinforce virtue and for individuals to hold themselves accountable for what we all can generally agree on as right and wrong. If we get rid of it, then what do we have? We have nihilism and no foundation for our moral systems. Sure, we may get some odd scenarios that aren’t right in a given religion, but it’s better than every man for himself, wrapped in a self-obsessed cocoon what what one subjectively believes is right and wrong. Without it, we have nothing but individuals scattered and atomized on their most fundamental level—basic morality. In that world, there is no true right and wrong. Perhaps that is the real state of being; however, that leads to a miserable way of life—no virtues. Instead, we can choose to have faith, be human, and willingly embrace the right and wrong of God and will a sense of objective morality into being.
>>
>>10241321
I grew up in an environment with Buddhists, Muslims, Catholics, Christians and Hindus lol. Organized religion is a scam. Just don't be an asshole
>>
>>10241104
OK, I am pretty sure God is real, and there is only one God. Religion is a man-made construct, you can and I believe should have a close, personal relationship with the Lord. Sin is a real thing, if you believe in the positive of this world, you must also understand the negative. The universe operates through polarities, good bad, tall short, man-woman, human nature is no different, the capacity for good and evil has no limits, the universe is infinite. Jesus was a real human being, and if you disregard some of the discriminatory beliefs in the bible (eg. homosexuality), at least read of Jesus and his life. We should all attempt to live like Jesus in our own way, to individualize and become who we are, not to become Jesus, but among him. God treats you the way you treat him. Cast him out of your heart and you will be cast out of his. Treat him with love and you will be loved. I do not know what happens after this life, but I do believe it is determined based on how we act in this one. If I had to choose between putting my lot in with this Earth, and all it's evil and sin, versus God, with his infinite wisdom and love, I will go with God always. Who did you know when you were young, separate from any other person you knew, yet also separate from your own conscience? This is your connection to God. Those who have already cast God out of their minds and souls, they still have the right to ask for forgiveness, but I do not know what the answer will be. Faith in God is the same as how you have faith in the people you love. Love IS based on trust, after all. Trust in God, is love in God. Materialism and hate will abandon you in the end, God will not. Before you scorn god for all the evil and suffering that exists, realize that free will is his gift to us, in fact he created all. Every talent and gift you have God to thank for. If you really want God to save you from yourself and others, you probably don't want free will.
>>
>>10242577
>The question then becomes whether or not it’s useful and it very much is.
Even if I knew it would make December better if I believed in Santa, I would still not believe in Santa.
You should come up with real reasons why people should follow your ideology.
>>
>>10242517
Good faith
Your funny
>>
>>10242495
Sounds pretty fedora tippy, but if you feel it gives you purpose, sure. You shouldn't perhaps have spite be your main motivator though.
>>
>>10242648
Most assholes don't think they're assholes.
>>
>>10242861
Before you point out the speck in your neighbors eye, realize the log in your own. We can all learn from that truism.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.