[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (172 KB, 1280x720)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
will this aesthetic return?
>>
and what aesthetic would that be
>>
only time i've seen this aesthetic in is Wipeout 3
>>
vectorheart. seems to be a branch of y2k
>>
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ez303xpVcAEhXl2.jpg
>>
>>434485
>vectorheart
google returns nothing about this between 2000-2010. did you made it up?
>>
>>434487
https://cari.institute/aesthetics/vectorheart
>>
>>434488
ok, i will believe everything these people say about design and art history, they are gay and furries and they the experts
>>
>>434485
wouldn't say this is vectorheart, you freak
>>
File: Man Or Astro-Man.png (479 KB, 458x603)
479 KB
479 KB PNG
>>434488
>https://cari.institute/aesthetics/vectorheart
Neat
>>
>>434489
For a good laugh at high grade, up-your-own-ass artfaggery, check out their glossary and FAQ pages.

https://cari.institute/glossary
>>
>>434408
Yes. When Sony releases a new WipeOut game. Until then. No.
>>
>>435655
>>434489
>>434488
im not the guy who originally posted it, but regardless of who made the term it seems to be a useful categorization of a design trend that likley didn't have a pre-existing term.
no need to be such a winey bitch that you refuse to use a useful resource just because someone you don't like made it.
>>
>>435859
>a useful resource

A specious claim you toss out just because someone you don't like doesn't treat a group of self declared authorities and their ideas and declarations with the respect you think they deserve.
Only "whiny bitch" here is the guy who can't tolerate people critiquing some meaningless group's meaningless hipster jargon that's so "useful" nobody knows WTF it is supposed to mean or why.

The rest of their site is unwitting self parody of the highest order, assuming that it's not actual parody of the types of people who create groups like that. It's so over the top that it's almost impossible to tell-

"Obamacore-

A term we use to describe a certain style of media produced in the early 2010s, towards the end of the Obama-era. It often focuses on smug, optimistic narratives about young, white, upper-middle class professionals that are usually totally complacent around topics of racial justice and economic disparity"
>>
>>435864
i didn't read the whole site because i honestly don't care? i was just saying that the categorization of this style as vectorheart was useful for people like op or i looking for similar art, and that just because trannies made the term doesn't mean it isn't useful.
>>
>>435867
>just because trannies made the term doesn't mean it isn't useful.
True, the fact that it's arbitrary and meaningless jargon made up by smug poseurs and their fake research institute" just to claim some degree of authority is why it isn't useful.

The fact that people like you who defend them and their jargon admit that you haven't looked further into them because you-
>honestly don't care
- and just want to be the guy who chimes in with some semi- authoritative answer so you can look smart is another reason why its not useful unless you're that guy.
>>
>>434523
It's TangentSpleen.
>>
>>434476
Both were done by the same group.org/wiki/The_Designers_Republic
>>
>>435873
what did i do to deserve this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Designers_Republic
>>
>>435864
ad hominem the post
>>
>>435871
im the guy who you replied to and kek
>>
>>435864
I see similarly dumb buzzwords all over 4chan. Who cares.
>>
>>434408
tDR has worked with autechre since their first releases. I think they're cool and I like the aesthetic but as far as a mainstream return I don't really think so. They have a niche etched out and managed to sell some stuff.
>>
>>435870
i'm the guy that posted that reply a week ago gonna keep calling it vectorheart to piss you specifically off, good tidings to you
>>
>>436166
t. still mad a week later and keeping track of the days since his hipster meme jargon authoritay was dissed
>>
>>435864
>nobody knows WTF it is supposed to mean or why
They literally explain that shit on the site, though, right below the title?
>>
>>436171
Not really, they give some examples and vague descrptions but there's little in the way of objective factors listed that one could then use to classify anything by that term without opening themselves up to ridicule.

That's the main point of abstruse jargon like that, it creates the opportunity to laugh at non-clique members for trying to use those kinds of terms in the manner they are allegedly supposed to be used.

Who died and made that group the gatekeepers for what gets called what, anyway?
Also, genre-fication like that is really just re- IDing someone's creative work so people can feel better about copying it, as if it's just some "style" that formed naturally because of the era it came about in and belongs to anyone who wants to appropriate it.
>>
>>434489
majority of admin circle didn't found most of their "examples" and just made up these faggot names when other people found these "examples". supposedly they had internal schism of faceberg people and trannycord people, because they didn't all wanted to move to discord. some mods left and don't reference them anymore, one vanished and one got banned.
>>436177
>Also, genre-fication like that is really just re- IDing someone's creative work so people can feel better about copying it, as if it's just some "style" that formed naturally because of the era it came about in and belongs to anyone who wants to appropriate it.
you're on point anon. i'm tired of millennials like them claiming to have "lived experience" of late 90s when they fucking were children so they are superior or zoomies mindlessly copying shit. they never will have clout of people who did graphic design back then and actually created trends, when being graphic designer had higher entry barrier and quality of output was higher.
>>
>>434408
No, becauz globohomo can't have anything that could be unreadable to some people. Niche audiences don't exist anymore, and any that do won't stay that way. As companies get bigger, they can't afford to compromise aesthetics for pragmatism. This style won't return outside of the underground online.
>>
>>436217
>they never will have clout of people who did graphic design back then and actually created trends, when being graphic designer had higher entry barrier and quality of output was higher.

Part of that is the fact that in those days artists an musicians and other creative types resisted being pigeonholed and as a result were strengthened by working in a broader and more challenging environment where competition improved quality and made cross- fertilization of ideas more likely and fruitful.
Now the arts have done an almost compete 180° and people jump at the opportunity to create pigeonholes they can occupy, and the smaller the better. This let's them convince themselves that being the big (or only) fish in that tiny pond is the same as having become established the way old school creators had to do it.
With the advent of cheap and easy publicity that also came with digital tools and networks, it has also allowed them to appropriate long established labels and classifications and twist their meanings beyond all comprehension, often by essentially ignoring their history and deriding anyone who calls attention to it as behind the times.
"Modern" is a good example; lots of people using the term have no clue what it means in the context of art and design and simply impose their own ignorant definition on it.
>>
File: EcwWQCNXoAERanX.png (619 KB, 1024x744)
619 KB
619 KB PNG
>>434485
>vectorheart
niceeee
>>434408
op what a shitty one you shared

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.