[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 17 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: file.png (570 KB, 892x793)
570 KB
570 KB PNG
anons, what technique is this to make logos?
>>
>>432102
Tracing
>>
It’s called “talentless southeast Asians on Dribbble copying the golden ratio Apple meme without realizing that Apple never actually used this to create their logo”
>>
>>432128
what did they use to create their logo?

>>432102
your bird looks cranky and grumpy and unhappy - give it another round
>>
File: 149_87618_49379.png (221 KB, 1057x457)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>432102
It's just deconstructing the image in basic shape's. It looks like the designer who made this was asked to show their homework, to which they panicked and C+V'd a bunch of circles in to show they put some effort in. Honestly I would agree with >>432113
its just tracing with extra steps.
>>
>>432134
yeah cuz their is obviously no order in nature
>>
>>432140
Where is there order in OPs image? It's a bunch of circles without rhyme or reason
>>
File: 149_87618_49379.png (1.53 MB, 900x900)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB PNG
>>432140
There's a ton of order in nature, but the guy obviously used a curved line brush and then went over it with a bunch of circles to make it look like he spent a ton of time on what is actually a pretty simple bird design.
>>
>>432149
its in the bird of course
>>
>>432102
>>
You add circles after the fact to ensure your berzier curves are as optional and easily reproducible as possible. You don’t want tangents going in weird angles, extra points, or unsightly lumps and humps, so you use circles. Way to out yourselves as jealous noobs
>>
>>432194
I'm not even sure what you mean. Why would I draw something, and then add guides?
>>
File: bunny.png (33 KB, 860x868)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>432204
>Why would I draw something, and then add guides?
So that it's not sloppy. You cut up circle guides (like in the OP) and join the cut pieces together to make the shape and final deliverable. This pic I attached would be an example of a badly constructed logo (if it was actually a logo, not an icon) because it uses more vector points than necessary, which causes parts of the bunny to look lumpy (front of arms, bottom of paws, the point where the back of the neck attaches to the body, etc.) and less sophisticated. It's a craftsmanship thing that you can charge more money for. Of course if the logo is for a blog, YouTuber, or whatever, who cares. If you're planning on printing $100k worth of goods with the logo however, could put in a few extra hours to fix these issues.
>>
In other words, make a logo as usual and then use circles and lines to see how you can simplify the shape further. You don't use circles to build the concept, that would make it infinitely more difficult if not impossible, but instead you use it for the last stretch in the design process (which you can charge for).
>>
interesting how no one on this board actually makes anything
>>
>>432194
Yeah because talking about making "berzier curves optional" really separates the pros from the wannabes, especially where hand drawn non- computerized imaging and reproduction is involved.
>>
>>432134
yeah lol that's what I'd do.
>>
>>432251
>berzier curves optional
I never said this. And we're talking about logos, which is not art.
>>
>>432279
The post quoted in the one you are responding to certainly did, so if you didn't post that why respond?
Regardless even if you use the correct terminology *bezier* curves are not universal to pre- press optimization of images and may not be involvedcatxall atxany stepnin thevprocess of creating a graphic and reproducing it so dropping that term remains a stupid attempt at making yourself appear smart that failed miserably.

Same goes for your retarded semantic 'gotcha' that pretends that art and graphic design are wholly separate and mutually exclusive.
You don't even know enough about either subject to be appropriately embarrassed at the crap you post.
>>
>>432281
>thevprocess
The correct spelling is "the process" haha opinion disregarded

I made the original post you quoted and it's obvious I was on mobile and I meant "ensure your bezier curves are as OPTIMAL and easily reproducible as possible". That means you placed your vector point right on the apex of a curve and you're not using more points than necessary.

>Same goes for your retarded semantic 'gotcha' that pretends that art and graphic design are wholly separate and mutually exclusive.
I said logo design not graphic design as a whole. Gotcha again.

Smart anons who are willing to grow and learn take the tip I provided and consider it and maybe read into it from other sources. Retards like you on the other hand can stick to Fiver.
>>
File: NBC.jpg (186 KB, 1000x665)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
This is my last post on the subject, because I'm not going back and forth on here, but someone will find this useful: Look at pic related. If the logo you make has tons of unnecessary points, chances are in this scenario whoever produced this would take your file and use a plugin to remove all the unnecessary points and say "it's close enough". It's not going to be accurate by any means. You will have different designers meddling with your file.
>>
>>432282
Still blah blah blah ingredients about vector graphics that not only are not involved with many design projects involving curves OR their reproduction, but also don't require adding a bunch of random circles to check how they flow as you claim.

Fucking larper retards, I swear...no wonder you are going to the mat defending fake layout lines added after the fact to make a tracing look all science-y.
>>
>>432285
Lofl, a logo designed and oromulgated as camera ready art (a technical term) without the use of computer graphics proves the importance of adding a bunch of random circles to a logo because muh bezier curves?
Stop it, you're killing me!
(slaps knee)
>>
File: you.jpg (61 KB, 894x550)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>432289
>>
>>432291
>>
>>432292
>Photostudio
>Larping
At least now you're getting it!
>>
>>432294
The fact that you can only clutch at straws with weaker and weaker "gotchas" rather than refute the exposure of your stupid response justifying bullshit fake layout lines as pure larper bullshit speaks volumes, but do go on.
>>
>>432295
I don't need to refute anything. I explained how those circles are used in the building of the shapes and the guides are then added back in for demonstration purposes of the craftsmanship that went into the logo for potential clients (or art directors who want to see the process).

Your posts? "No thats dumb you don't need to do it it's fake larper bullshit you don't know what you're talking about"

Which is exactly why top design studios do it on the websites, right? Everyone is larping. But you see through the bullshit, because you're so smart and perceptive.
>>
>>432292
to be fair this is how I often build my designs to keep it "cleaner"
You shit out your desired design freehand
you then build it up again by fitting and deforming basic geometry like circles to build your new shape
it does give me clean looking results on complex shapes that definitely beat shit like >>432214
>>
>>432296
>the guides are then added back in for demonstration purposes of the craftsmanship that went into the logo for potential clients (or art directors who want to see the process.
thars funny, first it was to optimize bezier curves over reproduction concerns, now its to "demonstrate craftsmanship for potential clients..." kek, dig that hole...

>Which is exactly why top design studios do it on the websites, right?
lofl, no, they do it because untrained morons like to think they have a grasp on the design process and can be fooled into thinking they are seeing and comprehending it by adding a bunch of unnecessary and meaningless geometric layout lines after the fact that they can look at and nod knowingly in approval over. It's a way to make stuff look super complex and inscrutable for consoomers as if all the same ground up effort and esoteric knowledge that goes into designing quality typefaces went into simple line drawing- that had nothing to do with bezier curves or geometry when it was sketched out and cleaned up without those lines.
Its the graphic design equivalent of Cracker Barrel taking processed pre-portioned food and heating it up on a flat top and then plating/serving it in a cast iron skillet so gullible rubes who dont know anything about cooking will swoon over how it indicates hands-on craft cooking when it's literally just theater.
Then those gullible rubes can argue about how they know whats up and beclown themselves insisting that anyone who says its just for show isn't hip and smart like them .
>>
>>432292
kek
>>
>>432214
>cut up circle guides (like in the OP) and join the cut pieces together to make the shape
pants on head retarded
if your art is "lumpy" u need to get gud at pen tool, basically
>>
>>432303
My eye caught a food analogy. tl;dr Don't use it then.

>>432305
Watch some courses by renowned logo designers, including books on how to build your own typeface. See how the letter "B" is made. No different than how an icon should be made.
>>
>>432292
Make this more defined and believable and you have invented a new meme
>>
>>432303
>being this pressed about other peoples' design practices
>>
>>433423
It's not a "design practice" any more than pic related is a woodworking practice, dumbass
>>
>>433437
>being this retarded
yep, that's the /gd/ i've come to expect
>>
>>432102
Birb
>>
I think you're refering to a type of drawing we call image synthesis, as for the circles and other shapes you work with I think its not a technique per se, its just drawing guides,meant to prove that its easy to reproduce wich tends to be a core atribute of logos and also makes it more memorable wich is another core attribute, wich can sometimes be important to take into account when bs a client, other than that its not as necessary all the time, I've never use them since everything is now digital and i believe its not as important, but my understanding is that innitially they were just drawing guides used to make the handmade reproduction of the logo easier to grasp, like when you do a face drawing and you start with some lines and circles to guide you.
>>
Tracefags MUST rope
>>
>>432128
this isnt really how you use proportions

>>432102
this also is not how to use proportions

>>433482
who the fuck is 'we'

op go study the disegno colore debate from the rennaissance to start
>>
>>433491
Sorry I meant we as in ''that's just how it is called'' I'm hispanic and thats just a direct translation, image or graphic synthesis.

I believe I even saw a domestika course of it OP might find useful.

How do you call it anyway?
>>
File: coco.jpg (295 KB, 1149x912)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>432102
tuto how to make logos for noobs
hire a chimp pay him with bananas and let him paint nosense.
call him also coco bacause it give chimpa a way more artistic to paint their depression says biologist Francis Putz, from the University of Florida.
>>
File: large.jpg (29 KB, 500x402)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>432132
we don't know the original process, but the golden ratio meme came years after

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.