[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 9 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

In the time it takes you to make one good design, a third world highschool dropout can make 10 'good enough' designs with a significantly lower quote.
>>
>>431466
You will not make money with this "let's make the best image possible with the lowest price attainable".

Until some years ago I did good easy money getting freelances to remove the background of images and simply sending to a indian agency who charged me 1/5 what I was charging. My work was just to forward the images I received, downloading what the indians sent me, and then send it to my client. If you want to follow this path, you can make some "Canva designers" contacts and take jobs for them to do, and you keep a cut of the profits.

If you want to go the working path, be a proficient professional worth the fare you want to charge.
>>
You don't compete on merit alone, you compete by selling yourself and getting clients to buy into you being the better choice. You offer them more value than just the logo by offering full rebrands, being availible for adjustments and support down the line and generally making a good impression by being friendly.

When you freelance you aren't just a logo designing factory, at least half your working hours should be about getting more clients and supporting clients you already have a relationship with, checking in on any developing needs etc.
>>
>>431466
You compete by stealing, locally none cares
>>
>>431475
>>431618

Not OP. Really appreciate these insights. I'm just about to start doing freelance and it's helpful. Along these lines, where are good places to look for entry prices to charge? I've done professional work - both as employee and more recently on retainer for a few years - but it was never specifically graphic design focused, more bigger picture, concepts and content. I always had senior graphic designers to work with. Since then I've done a few cool indie projects but figure I need to start low and get new testimonials/build out my portfolio.
>>
>>431466
ou don't just pay Graphics Designers for just their design. That's just half of the product.
You pay them for their ideas.

And good contracts isn't just about designing logos. They are fun to do, but high professionals do full rebrands like making a logo, and implementing that brand on other materials like brochures and pamphlets and web UI in a consistent way.

>>431618
>When you freelance you aren't just a logo designing factory

Yeah normies have this idea that Graphics Design = LOGOS LOGOS LOGOS LOGOS
My first gig was restoring old photos before I briefly moved to doing layouts for hardware manuals.
>>
>>431466
Can anyone here tell me how to make gradient text OUTLINES with Canva? Even getting gradient text needed a work-around and it's starting to annoy the shit out of me.
>>
>>433609
I was doing a poster recently and wanted to fade out a picture with a gradient and I couldn't do it.
>>
>>431618
>When you freelance you aren't just a logo designing factory, at least half your working hours should be about getting more clients and supporting clients you already have a relationship with, checking in on any developing needs etc.

Fuck. I suck at this. How to get better?
>>
>>433620
Gradients themselves are very doable, I can even show you. But I want the 'inside' of the letters to be white or see-through, which for some dumb fucking reason is impossible in Canva. Makes no sense, it's basic functionalities.
>>
>>433657
So I can say fade out the bottom of a picture like the transparency tool in Illustrator. I can't see where to do that.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.