[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 23 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: imagen.png (4.82 MB, 3428x1108)
4.82 MB
4.82 MB PNG
https://imagen.research.google/
https://openai.com/dall-e-2/
https://twitter.com/midjourney?lang=en
>>
you know there are people who are spinning this like a good thing for artists - like creativity aids or something. like new forms will emerge because of this. it's just a big cope imo.
this is going to end up being exactly as bad as it seems like it will.
it's so grim that one of the first casualties of the new wave of automation will be the arts.
we were supposed to make the boring stuff go away, but no, it's all just productivity maximisation.
>>
>>431094
>literally ZERO non dogshit models have been made public

all those images are faked to make it look more impressive. its all marketing to try and steal more investor money.
the actual outputs of these 'AI art generators' are just smeary garbage made by photobashing. looks worse than your mother
>>
>>431094
Ah Yes, time to create some branding for my company. No need for a designer here!
>>
>>431094
Should've learnt to code instead of playing around in Photoshop, bud.
>>
>>431175
>AI generated code
It's only a matter of time
>>
>>431123
You fucking wish they were fake. I have seen live streams of it working in real time. It is as amazing as you can imagine. Cope.
>>
>>431175
>Learn to cope
Yeah I might get replaced by an AI, but you'll be replaced by a poojeet
>>
File: steampunka.jpg (1.01 MB, 1200x1778)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
Been playing with midjourney a bit. Makes some interesting stuff combined with 90% total garbage. If you have any artistic direction in mind forget about it, it's really just grabbing whatever the machine happens to spit out.
>>
>>431094
You guys really made a living off of dogs and birds on top of things and in random locations?
>>
>>432193
Well not any more obviously.
>>
>>431119
*ahem*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMT-RO-_TbA
>>
>>431094
There are two main reasons that AI generated art ultimately isn't as big of a deal as people are making it.
Firstly, most designers aren't getting requests to make "a purple Wayne Gretzky battling a robot made of koosh-balls on Phobos in the style of Vermeer." They are getting requests to "make our web page look more inviting" or "put together some new promotional materials that stay consistent with our styleguide." Design requests vary wildly from vague to specific and no media manager or art director is going to want to fuck around with an AI for 14 hours trying to get the string of text just right to make something that aligns with the idea in their head.
The second, and more relevant reason, is copyright infringement. There is a big difference between inspiration and replication, especially in design. As far as I can tell this AI is just photobashing images together from around the web. If one artist finds the handlebars of a bike they drew being used in the header of a New York Times article the whole project goes down in a cascade of lawsuits.
In the foreseeable future AI will be used to help designers with concept art and color pallates or whatever, and a bunch of Instagram pages will pop off with "trippy art" made by these things. Ultimately though, the specificity and adaptability that will be required for AI to be utilized in the majority of design is far enough off its probably not worth worrying about. Or maybe this is just cope.
>>
>>431094
those look like stock photos which is what this >>432585 video initially concludes, stock photographers and the stock industry is fucked! but graphic designers will still be needed for solving specific design problems, which AI cannot do. we're going to have to adapt to AI, and honestly it's probably going to suck, but we're not going anywhere. maybe people who don't actually know design, but just a know a few tricks on photoshop will have to worry, but that's probably the best thing about AI in design, is that it will separate the wheat from the chaff of graphic designers.
>>
>>431094
Ultimately, what is the difference between these AI images versus paying someone in Thailand, India, or Serbia to make concepts for you? They already make it impossible to compete, since they will make a logo for $10 to $75. To me it was always obvious that learning how to combine two or three or five stock photographs had not much value in the first place. You cut them out, color correct, etc. but ultimately still "sampling" just like you would use royalty-free drum percussion loops in an EDM track.

AI won't make you a restaurant menu however, neither will it make you a vector-based logo with royalty-free fonts, a videogame UI, or any kind of experiences. I do see the usage of this AI stuff for videogames though... Imagine playing a horror game and you need paintings or photographs in a castle. There's not much value in spending time on that for anyone. No one cares.

>>431175
>>431232
Coding won't help you, unless you're a trailblazer and currently working with Web 3.0, blockchain, and AI. If your programming knowledge is mostly something that is in a book, it's over. It's all going to be replaced with drag and drop tools.
>>
>>431123
>made by photobashing
The images are created from scratch. (It did need 100s of millions of human created images to be trained tho)

>>431175
The GPT-3 (or whatever it was called) is able to replace coders - it can convert human language into code.
>>
>>431094
>>learn how to fix things
the world is falling apart, whoever can fix things will be in high demand
>>
Repent, for the End is nigh.
>>
>>432585
>>432602
it's a good thing everyone decided to stop working on ML models otherwise /gd/ might've been in trouble in like 5 years haha...
>>
>>432605
>To me it was always obvious that learning how to combine two or three or five stock photographs had not much value in the first place. You cut them out, color correct, etc. but ultimately still "sampling" just like you would use royalty-free drum percussion loops in an EDM track.

Interesting analogy since the end users whose demand determines financial value don't care about where the source materials for some visual came from the same way they don't care if an EDM song they like uses stock loops and sounds.
Some of the most lucrative art and music ever made was created this way and its only people with a vested interest in establishing and maintaining a position of authority treat this method as a primary factor that by default devalues a work.
This is why terms like "an artist's artist" or "guitarist's guitarist" exist and almost always describe people whose commercial success and popular appeal are negligible in relation to how closely they align with idealized notions of what makes an artist/musician "real".
>>
>>431094
>>selling
>>marketing
>>managing

those will never be replaced
>>
>>432598
Cope mostly. It doesn't photbash, the a.i. had learned what things look like and creates an image from scratch. It's tru that there will still be designers that will use a.i. to complete creative projects 10x as fast. This will eliminate 90% of the jobs in the industry. And no, it won't be just used for trippy art. The shit already makes flawless art indistinguishable from humans most the time and will only improve.
>>
This is a very sad thread because it's all real, the threat is real. Yet some still don't believe it.
>>
>>433127
I'm curious how licensing will work with AI "generated" images. If I use a digital camera to take pictures of the Mona Lisa the camera is using its own algorithm mixed with what it "learned" from the source material to organize the pixels. It's technically an original work, but it doesn't mean I can publish those pictures as my own. Do we know if these AI were "trained" using imagery without creative licenses? The fact that specific artists and styles are occasionally referenced in the prompts would lead me to believe this isn't the case.
>>
>>433328
Alternatively, imagine an AI that did only learn from cc free images. If I type in "hook logo" and it spits out the Nike swoosh can I use that? It's a true instance of parallel thinking, but that probably won't matter to Nikes legal team. The same reason self driving cars require a human in the driver's seat, somebody has to be there if something goes wrong.
>>
>>433328
>The fact that specific artists and styles are occasionally referenced in the prompts would lead me to believe this isn't the case
You're right and that's possibly the one breach it has to be sued over once imagery gets even more real for more creators to be upset by it
>>
Get ahead of it I dont but shit But im going to spend $30 on Midjourney Noone want to produce if you get our aead & just dont be a LAZY FUCKING GD who want tot LIVE THE LIFE you will be OK

noone wants to learn shit & everyone want to be entertained ALWAYS A MARKET FIND YOURS
>>
Time to get filtered sick of all the fear behind this from lazy retards

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.