[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Modernism sucks

Use more fonts

Design schools need to stop trying to teach modernism as the only way of designing.
>>
>>430685
>modernism as the only way of designing.
Good ones expose students to at least two ways, and one of them is the really awful way that should be avoided at all costs if for no other reason that it positively screams "cluelss amateur", as does calling typefaces "fonts".
That sign would be a perfect visual aid for that purpose, I'd ask if you got it from your graphic design school's teaching materials but clearly you've never been near either.
>>
>>430691
This was a popular way if designing things in the 50s and is still poular on vintage things like hot rods.

You have been brainwashed by a design school.

I went but question their push for modernism.
>>
>>430691
How the fuck does it scream clueless amateur when every single vintage sign writing book is full of examples just like this?
>>
It takes an incredible amount of skill to control a brush like this but some University brained designers who have educated themselves out of critical thinking say it's unprofessional despite not being able to make anything without a computer doing 70 percent of the work.

I did the design degree too but I went in there with a love for things such as vintage sign writing and I have never accepted that modernism is the only way to do things.
>>
Part of the reason why modernism took over was because it was fast and efficient and cost effective.

Modernism was never all about style.
>>
>>430685
>>430773
>>430782
>>430783
Did you pay attention or were you busy playing Elder Scrolls in class?

There is a time and place for everything. Plenty of designers and businesses use multiple typefaces, but just because it doesn’t fit the style someone likes it becomes “bad”. Go back to your notes and see what you wrote down about the importance of the target audience.

The modernist food establishment, McDonald’s, uses up to 4 different typefaces on its wrapper. Do you really care if it’s the mainstream thing? Jessica Hische has helped make lettering more popular and you see it all over the place. Feel free to continue looking at things you hate and wonder why everyone else is an “idiot”.
>>
>>430785
>There is a time and place for everything. Plenty of designers and businesses use multiple typefaces

Then why the fuck are you arguing with me?
>>
>>430785
>
The modernist food establishment, McDonald’s, uses up to 4 different typefaces on its wrapper.

Which goes against modernist design by the way.
>>
>>430790

I don't think I'm arguing with you, I'm just trying to push you off your soapbox because we've all heard it a million times on /gd/.

>Globohomo bad
>Modernism bad
>No skill
>No talent
>Cheap

We get it, you're upset with what you see, but like a lot of the people on this board, no one seems to post any of their own work exploring what they like. If they do it's the same low effort work that they post because "heh, it only took my 20 minutes and graphic design is gay". You're at the same level by making statements like these.

>You have been brainwashed by a design school.

>It takes an incredible amount of skill to control a brush like this but some University brained designers who have educated themselves out of critical thinking say it's unprofessional despite not being able to make anything without a computer doing 70 percent of the work.

No one is brainwashing anyone. They want you to understand the reasons for using a limited number of typefaces so you can later break that "rule". Hopefully, your school had you reading Bringhurst and Spiekermann.

If you're interested in pushing your type skills further, check out Bethany Heck's Medium page.
>https://medium.com/s/about-face/the-value-of-multi-typeface-design-ccd67227b0ee

>>430792
By the way, no it doesn't.
>>
>>430801
>Globohomo bad
>No skill
>No talent
>Cheap

I never said this.
>>
>>430801
Please explain to me how using lots of fonts doesn't break the rules of modernism and where you read that.
>>
>>430806
I'm referring to the state of this board and its constant need to have threads about how bad something is.

>It takes an incredible amount of skill to control a brush like this but some University brained designers who have educated themselves out of critical thinking say it's unprofessional despite not being able to make anything without a computer doing 70 percent of the work.

You did say this. Now I don't want to assume that just because using a brush requires skill that using a computer doesn't require any, but that seemed to be implied.

>>430807
Using multiple fonts is fine and is highly suggested. It's when using multiple typefaces, you want to make sure that each has a purpose and goes together. I didn't go to a design school, so maybe their typography courses aren't thorough, but my professor had a deep love for it. I've yet to see any serious typographer mention that rule in modern graphic design. Even looking through Meggs' History of Graphic Design I see no mention of it.
>>
>>430818
Using a computer does require less skill.

I have to pretend it doesn't though to not upset other designers but I am free to say what I really think on the internet.
>>
>>430818
Do you know what modernism is?

Or are you thinking modernism just means new?
>>
>>430819
You're confusing effort with skill. Just because some of my art directors had to use Letraset to create layouts doesn't mean they had more skill, it just meant it required more effort. Many of them are glad they don't have to use that anymore and the skills they honed were from actually practicing design.

>>430820
I'm not sure that you understand what modernism is. As I've stated, Meggs' History of Graphic Design takes you through all the eras and you can see for yourself there is no mention of what you're suggesting.

You clearly want to know that you're right about modernism.
>Which goes against modernist design by the way.
>Please explain to me how using lots of fonts doesn't break the rules of modernism and where you read that.

As the other poster mentions, you're referring to typefaces as fonts and although they're interchangeable in daily conversation, this is an instance in which discussing a historical design era that one should really focus on semantics. When looking at even the most iconic modern posters you will see the use of various Helvetica fonts.

Hope you didn't pay much for design school.
>>
>>430774
>every single vintage sign writing book is full of examples just like this
Bullshit, before all you had to do was type the letters into a machine people designed signs understood that regardless of how many typefaces you use a sign like that is utter garbage that is overcrowded and cluttered and unbalanced that it is virtually illegible.
No vintage sign writing book worth a shit would use thar as an example of a well designed sign, it's thecexact opposite.
That so many people on this board miss that along with why too many typefaces is a problem is NOT the fault of "modernism" or design schools, it's the result of people being clueless and proud of it and refusing to believe someone else knows more than them.
Many such cases in the arts.
>>
>>430785
A wrapper and a sign serve different purposes, and where there is mandatory label information that might not be taken positively type is often designed to not draw attention to that info or be easily readable. So much so that there are in some cases laws stating the size and style of type used in things like mandatory legal notices and liability wavers.
What's best on a food wrapper and on a sign are apples and oranges.
>>
>>430873
Yes, I understand there is a difference between signage and packaging. What I'm addressing is the main points in the OP:

>Modernism sucks

>Use more fonts

>Design schools need to stop trying to teach modernism as the only way of designing
>>
>>430685
Hello Teenage Stepdad from the hit Means Tv show Seize the Memes
>>
>>430691
When you've been in the biz long enough and every client calls every camera move "pan", it starts to stick whether you like it or not.
>>
>>430818
Using a brush is way harder than using a computer.

I have a design degree and.i don't want to pretend it's not.

Try paint some letters with a brush.
>>
>>430872
That's wrong.

Go look at some vintage sign writing books you retard.
>>
>>430872
Design isn't a part of the arts by the way.>>430888
What do you call it when it's painted by a brush and not from a computer program but your mind though?
>>
Modernism is litterally about minimalism by the way so anyone who thinks using lots of fonts isnt against modern are dead wrong.
>>
>>430894
>>430896
>>430901
No one cares about your "design degree" that you got in Guadalajara. You're in over your head and are barely able to keep up on this shit board.
>>
>>430773
>the 50s
your ignorance is fantastic
>>
damn watching an educated anon get swarmed by the ignorant mass is tough
>>
>>430896
I call it panning the brush.
>>
>>430913
How's it wrong then? (It's not)

>Inb4 it was also done before the 50s so you are wrong.
>>
>>430947
since there were signs and sign painters its been a thing
romans prolly didnt do it tho
nor the egyptians
>>
>>430993
Okay still not wrong.
>>
>>431061
>>431061
bitch
you are wrong as fuck
its a sign painting from at a minimum a century before your uneducated retarded guess
the 50s is not some sepia past life
william burroughs is from the 50s science fiction is from the 50s just go be wrong fucking quietly
the bauhaus is over a century old as well by now
100 years dumb cunt youre just fucking wrong deal with it
>>
>>431066
Still was popular and common in the 50s retard.

Also how a lot of (most) milk bars and businesses got hand painted in the 50s.
>>
>>431071
helvetica is born in 1957
just shut the fuck up already ignorant shit
>>
>>431066
You're dumb af
He says
>This style was popular in the 50's
>inb4 it was popular before so you're wrong
You say
>It was popular before so you're wrong
You're dumb af.
OP's pic screams 50's and I fucking love it, fuck modern stuff.
>>
>>431095
enjoy your ignorance
aint my problem
>>
>>431099
But yours is.
>>
>>431438
sorry bub
im too well educated to qualify
on a more populist note, you do know why basic modernism is called 'mid-century' right?
cuz its the 50s
dumb ass
>>
>>431474
Yes but that doesn't mean that everything in the mid 50s was modernism you absolute retarded brainlet.
>>
>>431474
Do you really think in the mid 50s everybody stopped doing old fashioned things and suddenly switched to modernism?

It started in the 50s but had still not fully caught on.
>>
>>431661
>it started in the 50s
oh did it?
>>431660
project much? like did modernity even happen? you dumb ass phone poster
>>
>>431670
Either way there was plenty of shit that wasn't modernist in the 50's.

I don't know why you have to come in here being all retarded and trying to derail the thread with stupidity.

What point are you even trying to make?
>>
>>431670
Also now you are contradiction yourself.

Do you think everyone stopped doing scroll work and pin striping as soon as Helvetica was invented?

>oh did it?

No, I was mislead by listening to your dumb arse ramblings...

This is why it's best to ignore retards.
>>
Going on about how 1950$ modernism is when it even started way before the 50s.

Can you just fuck off.
>>
>>431682
lol havent contradicted myself at all
fuck off underage cunts jesus christ thinking 1950 was the apex glory day of hand sign painting
>>
>>431726
That's what people think of it as and if it's not true it has been retconned as the golden age of hand painting in popular culture.

Prove to me it wasn't... Because its a big claim.

It is possible the majority are wrong.
>>
>>431727
you just buried yourself in your ignorance
fuck off underage
>>
>>431729
How did I? (You don't actually have an good answer or anything intelligent today)
>>
>>431732
go huff some bad etsy live laff love signs underage ignoramus
>>
>>431744
You know how I know you are retarded?

Because you associate vintage sign writing with live laugh love for some reason and not hot rods and old school milk bars.

Also I'm 32
>>
>>
Also I don't think I've ever seen an actual hand painted sign that says live laugh love.

Only crappy stickers and print work.
>>
>>431795
you know how i know youre retarded?

because of your actual utter ignorance

just fuck off
>>
File: 149_87618_49379.png (146 KB, 535x171)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
>>430685
>Modernism sucks
When overdone, but people also need to get new material. I love traditional art as much as the next guy but the 50's etsy mom default fonts suck as much a global homos do. I wish people would play with the 1890's and 1970's as much as the 1920's and 1980's

>>430782
Looks pretty good, reminds me of a 90's hot N ready hotel buffet. The color choice is a bit dated but as hand done art its masterfully done.

>>431797
This is rad as fuck, the font patch up and color placement work perfectly with the style here. If you did this, bravo.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (15 KB, 400x400)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>430685
Bumping because this seems like a good thread to place it on my 4chanX Thread Watcher.
Also is there any way to create emblems in modern times or they are obsolete now because they aren't iconifiable as modern logos are?
>>
JFC the idiocy itt is off the charts.
Modernism began in the late 18th century and thrived in the first third of the 20th.

Specifically with typefaces, the popularity of Helvectica and similar sans-serif typefaces wad a RETURN to styling based on older "grotesque" typefaces that were released between the late 1800s and the first third of the 20th century like Franklin Gothic (1902) and Futura (1927)...

"Originating during the late nineteenth century, Akzidenz-Grotesk belongs to a tradition of general-purpose, unadorned sans-serif types that had become dominant in German printing during the nineteenth century.

Relatively little-known for ***a half-century after its introduction***, it achieved iconic status in the post-war period as the preferred typeface of many Swiss graphic designers in what became called the 'International' or 'Swiss' design style which became popular across the Western world in the 1950s and 1960s."

"By the 1960s, neo-grotesque typefaces such as Univers and Helvetica had become popular ***through reviving the nineteenth-century grotesques*** while offering a more unified range of styles than on previous designs, allowing a wider range of text to be set artistically through setting headings and body text in a single family."
"Neo-grotesque type began in the 1950s with the emergence of the International Typographic Style, or Swiss style. Its members looked at the clear lines of Akzidenz-Grotesk (1898) as an inspiration for designs with a neutral appearance and an even colour on the page. In 1957 the release of Helvetica, Univers, and Folio, the first typefaces categorized as neo-grotesque, had a strong impact internationally: Helvetica came to be the most used typeface for the following decades."
>>
File: SchelterGrotesk.gif (47 KB, 864x576)
47 KB
47 KB GIF
>>432480
"Helvetica is a neo-grotesque design, one influenced by the famous 19th century (1890s) typeface Akzidenz-Grotesk and other German and Swiss designs.

"Developed by the Haas'sche Schriftgiesserei (Haas Type Foundry) of Münchenstein (Basel), Switzerland, its release was planned to match a trend: ***a resurgence of interest in turn-of-the-century "grotesque" sans-serifs among European graphic designers***, that also saw the release of Univers by Adrian Frutiger the same year."

"The main influence on Helvetica was Akzidenz-Grotesk from Berthold; Hoffman's scrapbook of proofs of the design shows ***careful comparison of test proofs with snippets of Akzidenz-Grotesk***.
Its 'R' with a curved tail resembles Schelter-Grotesk, another ***turn-of-the-century*** sans-serif sold by Haas."

Schelter-Grotesk-

"This ***forerunner of Helvetica*** made its debut as Breite Grotesk in the ***1886*** specimen book of the Schelter & Giesecke foundry in Leipzig. This classic face still retains its freshness, even after more than a century."
>>
Also one of the reasons that Helvetica replaced the 19th century typefaces it was based on is because those modern designs were so old that they were hand set and available fonts were not up to modern typsetting techniques of the 50s-60s.
>>
>>432478
youre confusing too many issues
you can make whatever you want
>>
>>432480
Correction: that should read late *19th* century aka the 1800s
>>
>>432480
>Helvetica's a historically themed font! It's been used for almost a century and is now a worn trope!

So your saying that pulling from the past became wildly popular before the post modern age and because of that success we shouldn't continue to garner inspiration from history?
>>
File: chelol.jpg (114 KB, 1080x1081)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
In every other design class, course, book, and article I see designers teach that you shouldn't use more than two typefaces in a design. I used to follow this rule, until I realized that all the impressive designs use like 4+ typefaces and felt lied to.

>>430801
>If they do it's the same low effort work that they post because "heh, it only took my 20 minutes and graphic design is gay".
So true.
>>
>>432496
>It's been used for almost a century and is now a worn trope!
I never said ANYTHING like that, just poibting out that it's retarded to act as if Helvetica marks the beginning of modernism because it was released in 1957, or that it was wholly a new creation of the 50's.

>So your saying that pulling from the past became wildly popular before the post modern age and because of that success we shouldn't continue to garner inspiration from history?

Again, I never said anything even remotely like that.
"Pulling from the past" has always been practiced in every kind of art, design, music, fashion, etc. and always willl be...how the everlovibg FUCK did you come up with the idea that I said there was anything wrong with it just because I pointed out that it's retarded to think that modern design began in the 1950s or that what makes helvetica "modern" is that it's based on type from the ACTUAL beginning of modernism, which occurred in the late 19th century?

Yourself not just poorly educated and confused, but just plain stupid. Good luck with that.
>>
>>432497
>. I used to follow this rule, until I realized that all the impressive designs use like 4+ typefaces and felt lied to.

Perhaps you are just easily impressed by inferior design.
That's a huge part of what becoming educated/professional is about in fields where aesthetics matter, it's almost a given that noobs and people without discipline will overcomplicate what they create and will bristle at anything that seeks to temper excess and showing off.
That also manifests by their championing other creations that confirm their biases and fulfill their need for ego gratification.
That's what all of these threads boil down to-
> educated consensus agrees on X as a general principle of professional discipline while acknowledging exceptions
> ego driven whiner gets mad at attempts to instill self discipline and points out exceptions in an attempt to prove that he's smarter than everyone else
> just comes off as an uneducated, bitter clown with a massive chip on his shoulder
>>
File: 1628521161643.gif (2.21 MB, 480x566)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB GIF
>>432489
The school I went forbiden me to create emblems. They said they are beatiful, but aren't any good in creating it comparing to modern logos.
>>
>>432505
why would you compare it to a logo?
its not a logo
its a celebration of a family or a town or a city intended to glorify it
it aint a fucking logo
>>
>>432480
The Average shop owner in the 1950s wasn't having their signs painted by Swiss Graphic Designers.
>>
>>432478
What's the difference between an emblem and a logo to you?
>>
>>432482
Helvetica is modern you retard.
>>
>>432503
And then the educated professionals get angry when the clients change their designs and make a request for more type faces because it goes against what they learned in design school.

>Nooo it's the client that's wrong
>How can people say it's not appealing when my degree says this is how it should be done
>>
>>432519
Well most cities have logos these days.
>>
>>432870
So are the typefaces it was based on from the 19th century, you retard.
>>
>>430685
Shameless bump, please post more old school logos
>>
>>430785
I agree with most of what you said here but McDonalds updated their wrappers to use only one typeface now
>>
File: nkIwtPv.png (114 KB, 595x398)
114 KB
114 KB PNG
>>430685
Bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.