[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 47 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: gd.png (129 KB, 600x600)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
stupid questions thread/questions that don't deserve their own thread

read the sticky >>248316

font request >>429862

old >>409852
>>
>>429831
help?
>>
>>429866
I use open source software only for work, meaning Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus. They can be fucky at times, but I had similar experiences with the Adobe suite. I enjoy Inkscape much more than Illustrator and while Scribus lacks the option to anchor images to text, I got used to do it the "hard" way and like the software much more now. Gimp, you either love and hate. I didn't like Photoshop much, so it wasn't hard to switch to Gimp. You might have to use Krita for some things in addition, and Gimp doesn't have a CMYK mode yet.

Affinity is probably a good alternative, too, and I have the suite, but still use abovementioned programs because I'm used to them.

If you don't have to go for adobe because of your employer, if you have one, try other software first or pirate it. I wouldn't pay the monthly fee, imo it's not worth it.
>>
>>429867
>Gimp, you either love and hate
*love or hate
I'm retarded. Or maybe my original sentence is correct. You'll be the judge
>>
I got into a book with this font, rate
>>
File: 1613073220444.png (55 KB, 1920x1080)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>429863
Asking again from previous thread.

How do you achieve designs like pic related? I'm interested in making a program that generates these types of images from png files but I need to find out what this is called. Is this like a pixelated bitmap with two colors?
>>
>>429885
ASCII art maybe.
>>
File: ascii pomao animation.gif (3.12 MB, 490x490)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB GIF
>>429885
I've used javascript to do a similar thing, it would be really easy to throw one together with some user parameters. If you're interested I'll set up a repo.
>>
>>429888
That looks very nice. I'm inexperienced but I'll try to help if you open a repo.
>>
File: face filter.gif (2.16 MB, 557x663)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB GIF
>>429889
I'll set it up
>>
>>429889
https://github.com/Packmanager9/Color-tool-thing
let me know if it works for you, also rate my font lmao
>>429878
>>
>>429891
Good font, I like the detail in the characters.
>>
File: Template.png (12 KB, 321x208)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
I'm trying to "design" my own business cards. I just want them to be simple, straight to the point. Would pic related be alright or is it too basic? Could emboss/deboss the business name to make it stand out a bit more on card
>>
File: pattern.jpg (687 KB, 1000x2000)
687 KB
687 KB JPG
Hello guys, noob here, Iam trying to fill this 1000x1000 image with pic related pattern. But the pattern is too big, so I transform it. Now its at the size I wanted it to be, but its too small now. How do I fill the image with that small pattern, seamlessly?
>>
>>429867
>>429868
cheers, think i'll go with the foss option, i'd like to try affinity trinity but don't really want to pay and i'm not sure you can actually pirate adobe software in 2022. i'm used to photoshop and illustrator but i've been using gimp for a few months and it's not that bad, hopefully inkscape and scribus are pretty similar to illustrator and indesign too
>>
File: pattern fill.jpg (274 KB, 1031x1061)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
>>429929
In Photoshop you select the small pattern, and create a Pattern. Then fill the canvas with your new Pattern.
>>
>>429941
Thank bro, that does the job!
>>
How can I legitimately find clients that want a logo from me? Freelance sites are NOT working for me for being too cheap ($5) or being fake (nowork) and social media is full of bots whenever someone tweets or says they need a logo. I’m considering quitting being a designer because this is not working out for me
>>
>>429940
You can test the Affinity programs for 10 days. You only need to make an account (can be a fake one).
I've learnt Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator and found switching to the Foss equivalents fairly easy.
>>
>>429965
is affinity worth it? if it's more similar to adobe software than the foss ones are i might give it a try. do you get updates after purchase?
>>
>>429973
I haven't bought it myself because I'm already pretty used to the foss softwares, but you get updates for as long as they don't come up with a completely new version.
But what I think is really cool is that you can work seamlessly between the three Affinity programs. If you work in Publisher and see that an image needs more work, you click on the button for Photo and get the complete Photo experience without that software needing to be loaded and without having to work in a seperate window. Only the tools change, but technically, you still work in Publisher. That's pretty nifty.
Download the test versions and give it a try, maybe wait until they have a sale. I'll probably buy the suite on the next sale.
>>
>>430008
yea i dled the affinity designer trial 10 mins ago and it already seems a lot easier to use for someone who learned with illustrator. i'm gonna dl photo and publisher to test them out, i think i'll probably go with that. thanks mate
>>
File: Untitled.png (37 KB, 864x317)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
I'm exporting text called Trade Gothic LT Std but everytime there's an O or 0 it comes out like this, even on fresh sheets and fresh text boxes. Is this an issue with my version of the font? It looks normal in the preview.
>>
File: howtowarp.jpg (593 KB, 2398x2122)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
How do I simply warp the corners of this selection so it appears as a perfect square? I want the perspective to appear as if you're looking straight at it instead of a slightly top-down view. The distort filters are kind of hard to use
>>
File: prespective.jpg (349 KB, 2398x2122)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
>>430139
Photoshop: Edit > Perspective Warp.
>>
>>430141
>Perspective Warp
that's the word i was looking for. i found the proper tool in GIMP, thanks. i have a pirated version of photoshop but i never cared to adjust to a completely new program, even though i probably should
>>
I need software suggestions: is there anything that allows you to do graphical design, but handles like Solidworks? Specifically it would be amazing if I could set relationships between elements, like lenght, relative angles, but also set a line to be tangent to a curve, an element to be symmetrical in respect to an axis, and so on. So far I've been using Inkscape, but I hate it with a passion. Please be patient, I have the engineering.
>>
>>430202
export a PDF drawing from SW, then simplify the paths
>>
How to setup illustrator for billboard design?
I know it has something to do with turning the resolution while working on a small canvas so the computer won't explode.
As in is there a formula I can apply/follow?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>430286
How big is the billboard? "Large canvas" supports up to 2270 x 2270 inches (57m x 57m)
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/large-sized-artwork.html
>>
>>430312
Holy fuck I'm retarded My prof said I needed to rise the resolution and work on a small canvas to make it work when it didn't lol.

Thank you man!
>>
File: 1370549410178.jpg (19 KB, 500x500)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>430322
No anon, it's the professor that's retarded (sad! many such cases!). I mean you'd think they'd read release notes and keep up with the industry, they get paid to be subject matter experts after all...
>>
need idea to produce this much of quality https://twitter.com/neko_cer/status/1367743647110766595?s=20&t=Zp8Zqe2p5qcQomWd457Nmg

but not downright copying the material
like can you find equivaleny element
>>
>>430334
bumo
>>
>>430338
>>430334
wrong board retard
>>
>>430362
no u
>>
Anyway one can mathemathically define the kind of content, quality, and subject, to achieve likes and retweets as much as https://mobile.twitter.com/neko_cer
but obviously not copy but maybe sorr out the market and deliver th quality? how to do that?
>>
really thought graphic design is alll about clout and traffics yo
>>430369
shouldnt be wayyyy down there for you
>>
File: insane mutterings.jpg (119 KB, 1170x1080)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>430334
>>430338
>>430368
>>430369
>>430380
meds
>>
>>430015
i ended up buying affinity photo and will probably buy affinity designer too. they're great if you learned with adobe software, very similar and with pretty much all the same features. gimp is alright but i'm not a graphic designer so i don't have the time to relearn a new program and inkscape seemed very different from illustrator. would def recommend
>>
>>430443
shit keeps fucking crashing tho lol
>>
>>430443
I thought Inkscape was pretty easy to learn if you know Illustrator.
Affinity's 50% at the moment, btw
>>
File: hmzkdbyvgan81.jpg (225 KB, 851x1329)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
what is this kind of pattern and how do I make one, guys?
>>
when I copy and paste my borders into all artboards, they aren't laid on top of all artboards, but shifted to the left and up.

The black lines I have drawn depicts artboards.
>>
>>431089
cut and paste by border and background to all artboards **
in illustrator. How to fix pls
>>
>>431090
I selected the border and background layer, then cut, and paste them into all artboards. Now both the background and border layer's content are in the background layer.
>>
File: 2022-06-05 21-05-00.webm (1.31 MB, 1920x1080)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB WEBM
>>431091
You can't paste into multiple layers at once - it all ends up in one layer
>>431089
Your source art is in the wrong artboard. If the red highlight is your borders, they're actually in the bottom right artboard.
Also lookup "symbols", so if you want to change the borders you can edit it once and the rest will update
>>
>>431103
Got it. Thanks a lot, fren. This was really helpful.
>>
do you use a tablet for drawing? I dont mean a graphical one
>>
Any good Photoshop tools available for free? I'm too broke for Adobe.
>>
>>429863
I was competent with illustrator back when you could buy it. Are there free alternatives, should I pirate an older version?
I want try my luck vectorizing logos or images for pennies on the internet, I really need money.
>>
File: DungeonSiege1.jpg (2.57 MB, 1920x1080)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
Hey, y'all,

New to this board. Y'all seem like you're deeply knowledgeable. I used to play this game - Dungeon Siege. I remember the color palette in the first area of the game being pleasing but I can't find the words as to why. From my research, I'm guessing that it's a complementary color scheme between the dark blues of the water and the light yellows/greens of the grass? I don't even know how to factor in the grays of the rocks in and the browns of the house.

Does anyone know what literature would help analyze palettes like these? I'm curious how game art directors always choose such excellent colors.
>>
>>431187
There is actually very little in terms of complementary colors going on in that image. If you just google "complementary colors theory" you'll get the basics and you can check it yourself.

More likely is that it's just pleasing because it's desaturated natural colors. It just relaxes the eyes.

As for how to pick colors. I could go on for hours, but here's two articles you can start by reading.
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/color-in-games-an-in-depth-look-at-one-of-game-design-s-most-useful-tools
https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/picking-a-color-palette-for-your-games-artwork--gamedev-1174
>>
>>431185
Inkscape. People say it's as good as Illustrator these days, but I still haven't tried it.

Though if you know Illustrator you might as well just pirate it, there is literally no downside imo.
>>
File: 1503575001621.jpg (37 KB, 262x269)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
what happened to the album cover threads? is there just not one up right now?

I tried to find an archive of them but i'm too fucking stupid.
>>
>>431219
I appreciate the links. Thanks, friend.
>>
How do I get rid of black borders on a video? Basically my video is an uploaded song with album art but when I uploaded the video it has black bars on the side and looks like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJWksPWDKOc

I want it to be borderless and look like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fN7udMAMog

I'm using davinci resolve and everything I've tried so far hasn't worked
>>
what's better, Figma or Adobe XD?
>>
>>431185
>>430015
>>430443

>>431239
is that ariana grande?
>>
>>431039
Several transparent layers overlayed on top of eachothee
>>
>>429863
Do you guys regret becoming a graphic designer? I only ever read about frustrated Anons here. Kinda pathetic and sad desu
>>
>>431330
It's kind of regional - in my region, everyone uses Figma. (West coast of US)
>>
>>431183
gimp for photoediting (make sure to enable single window mode), krita for painting

>>431181
obviously, check out gaomon or wacom tablets
>>
Not quite sure it's the right place but ...

I'm using AI generated artwork as placeholders for a little project of mine (board game for fun) and I REALLY like some of the images. So much that I would like to include them into the board game if it ever becomes something more serious.

Are such images copyright free ?
>>
File: 1655607742906.jpg (214 KB, 951x1295)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
I've seen artists on twitter complaining about "watermark removal tools"

Can anybody name/link to any?

To be clear I have zero intention of using them on people's actual watermarks, I rather want to use them to clean up and restore art I scan that have text over them from old magazines and such, or like, for instance, removing the "sample" text from the official preview images of cards from the current Digimon TCG, see pic
>>
>>431651
That's cause artists are retarded and underestimate the power of Photoshop

Select the thing you want to remove with the wand or the lasso > Fill > Content Aware Fill
>>
>>431580
Unless you could recreate the same image with the same criteria then I don't know how they would know. You could also just modify them slightly.
>>
>>431652
I don't have photoshop, and I wouldn't know what version I should be pirating or from where.

I'm aware of content aware fill and I'd be interested in using it, but I'm also wanting a tool that isn't just filling in the text/watermark based on the context of the outside, clean image, but is also looking at the pixels inside the space if the text is semi transparent.

Like, if the software can sample every pixel inside the selected area, and also has the context of the areas outside of that, then it should be able to figure out what color and what opacity the text overlay has to begin with and work backwards to figure out the exact or nearly the exact original pixels/image underneath that area.

As far as I am aware, content aware fill doesn't do that. Is there anything that does?

(I'm stil interested in using content aware fill and PS if people are willing to spoonfeed me where to pirate it and what version is best)
>>
What mediums are used in this style?
Illustration by hand, then scanning?

How easy would it be to make this stuff if I was tracing images?

I'm a total noob but want to design a logo that looks kinda rough/has some character
>>
I have some awesome book cover designs that I want to put out. But I do not see any good mock ups to download or to choose from that have the desired dimensions and look.
What is the next best option for me?
I want to display them so normalfags will look at them and want to hire me.
Do I print them out and try to glue them together to another book and take a picture or something else experienced anons please help me!!!!!
>>
Posted near the end of last /sqt/, but it archived soon after. Only reposting this once:

>t. IoT Engineer
I'd like to learn about some free visualization software for generating flowcharts and being able to describe systems at multiple levels of details. I'd like it to be a standalone/offline application, and not a timed free trial. My hunch is that this may involve a vector graphic editor (like diagrams.net), but I don't know what I don't know. If I can hyperlink to other documents within the file, that'd be swell too.

The basic idea is to visually document the state of my current network, catalog how systems and data flow and interact, and be able to "zoom" in or out to what level of detail I'm interested in at the time. Have a supervisor who wants a bird's eye view of your devices? Zoom out. Have a new hire that you need to onboard quickly with highly technical details for connection configuration? Zoom in to a particular device class or specific device. I was never introduced to visualization software or team management stuff like this, so I feel lost.
>>
>>431772
https://www.newline.co/fullstack-d3
https://d3js.org/
may help dunno
>>
File: 00.jpg (294 KB, 801x806)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>429863
How's the dissolving or textured effect are made in picrel?
Hard mode: in AI only.
>>
Recc me some aestethic with sci-fi/dystopian elements. Smh similar to Cyber Sigilism. It's for tattoo purposes
>>
>>431991
stop dirtying the skin our Creator gave you, are you implying He was faulty in our design?
>>
File: texture clip blend.jpg (55 KB, 1212x760)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>431875
image texture, clipping mask, multiply blend
>>
>>429898
keep in mind that your card has a second side that can be utilised if the front would be too crowded
>>
>>431991
Late 1990s mail order catalogue made on a photocopier
>>
File: noise.jpg (237 KB, 1200x786)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>
anons, what is the common/best procedure for adding "vintage feel" to a graphic work? by vintage feel i mean grain and gauss blur(?). i mean how much grain should i add, how does "professionals" do that kind of stuff? i don’t even know what terms should i be using for that lmao
>>
>>429863
Does anyone know how to make this >>131553549 neon gradient design in Photoshop or illustrator? The neon gradient changes at different parts of the image and it all seems to blend together, how do I achieve that?
>>
>>432200
Whoops thought it would autolink, its from /co/ iron cat 001 storytime. >>>/co/131553549
>>
File: IMG-20220629-WA0002.png (77 KB, 244x265)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
I need to make this kind of image but I have no idea how to properly manipulate channels in PS. Any advice?
>>
>>432268
looks like simple sepia filter on some, but on others I wonder how to posterize it so figure and background are orange, and shaded areas like color are deep blue (bottom right example)
>>
File: 2-color-gif.gif (8 KB, 500x500)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
>>432268
just save as 2 color gif bro
>>
>>432271
I managed it with b/w and then color ranges, worked good enough :D
>>
Hey, I'm designing a reference sheet for language: space is a sparce, valuable commodity, and uniformity is desired.
What are some commons ways of illustrating that an element is optional?

I have both square brackets and gray; since the former isn't used in the language, it's is fine and allows for distinguishing being neighboring optionals; whereas the latter has 2 less glyphs per grouping, but disallows neighboring. Underlining, while possible, whill clutter too much, and I'm already making use of alteranating row colors for legibility.
>>
>>432297
Italics were used in the very first document, and was barely noticeable, with my font choice, looking from not close, I fail to notice significant differnce, so that too is not an option.
Emboldening is too attention-grabbing.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.