[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 13 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

So basically I spent the whole night trying to figure out a way to take something like pic elated, on a perfectly black background and get it to work the same way it behaves then you set it to SCREEN blend mode.

How in the fuck do you do this? Or rather how do I do this WITHOUT FRINGING such that you can use the stuff on lighter stuff below it?

(Its not a flare in my case but same principle, but I just need a .PNG with transparency since somebody else without photoshop will be using the finished file)
>>
>>425765
To clarify, stuff like this (see link) doesnt work in my case because I need big gradual transitions. This method always ends up with a darker edge no matter what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Nhgq0QeNE
>>
i dont know but i could probably figure it out
my retainer is 5k
>>
screen
>>
>>425765
sounds like a job for "blend if" to me
but aren't images like this meant to be used with lighter blend modes so you don't have to do all the work in the first place
>>
>>425782
Doesnt work, as soon as you export it as PNG it will have ton of dark fringing, because even if you extract the alpha you are still applying it over the image with dark bg merged, so the (in OP pic) faint orange pixels end up being dark brown with transparency instead of light orange with ton of transparency.
>>
>>425783
ive just woke up so i might regeret everything i say after 2 coffees
cant you blend if, copy the layer 4 times, merge and blend if again
isn't there also something in the layer mask options for getting rid of artifacts
>>
>>425785
this is annoying me because i went thu all this a couple of months ago and cant remember what i learned, i do remember someone did this so easily in gimp and it was annoying how clean it looked
>>
>>425765

could try using an inverted greyscaled version of the image itself as a layer mask, might have to tweak levels a little bit
>>
Im trying to get this to work but the remove matte step doest give me the desired result: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/31337/can-image-transparency-be-calculated-automatically-from-multiple-non-transparent/31363

>>425785
what do you mean by 4 times and blend if?
one thing I tried before was extracting the individual channels into separate layers and set R G B blend respectively, that kinda words but leaves quite strong back fringe.

>>425787
yea that also leaves black fringe, since it just slaps transparency over the very dark brown pixels
>>
you might have to rebuild your image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SmndZKYkcE
>>
>>425811
well fuck
>>
>>425765
>since somebody else without photoshop will be using the finished file
There's really no way to do it unless they have software that can adjust the blend modes. Any time it's against a lighter background you'll probably get some dark fringing.
>>
>>425765
raise him in the hood
>>
File: cta.jpg (108 KB, 1126x816)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Krita.
Filters.
Color to alpha.
>>
>>427695
wow what in the fuck is this sorcery? can you save it as png with transparency and put the exported png over white bg please? just to check if there is fringing, because if not I might need to get Krita!!
>>
>>427697
Krita is free and open source, it'll take you 2 minutes to download it.
>>
>>427695
based, I never thought of using krita for this kind of thing
>>
>>427695
>Krita
Just downloaded, I'm going to test it. Krita seems to have really nice brushes and textures.
>>
File: night_sky.jpg (132 KB, 1080x810)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>427695
Works pretty well
>>
>>429572
is that without a blend mode?
>>
>>429632
Yes, I just pasted it on a layer above the background. Normal blend mode.
>>
>>425765
>>
File: Transparent.png (70 KB, 920x883)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
>>430063
Nope, this one is the real mccoy, however.
Just usual color to alpha.
>>
> Gimp
Add layer mask, "use greyscale copy of layer".
copy visible
add as a new layer in screen blend mode.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.