[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: compare.png (141 KB, 923x707)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
If I pirate a proprietary font and use it in some PDFs and printed books, how likely is it that I will be caught and fined? Is there even a way for the company to know if I paid for a license or not? For reference, the font in question is a very popular, very common, very established font from a very big company, so its not like I'm ripping off some lone starving typographer or anything.

also
>Also remember that using liscensed fonts in commercial works is a bad idea.
Why?
>>
>>416217
>so its not like I'm ripping off some lone starving typographer or anything.
The victim is succesfull so what I'm doing is not wrong
>>
font faces aren't copyrightable in most countries
watch out in germany tho
that means, you can't just redistribute the .ttf/.otf/etc file, but if you edit the file / reflow the curves etc, you're fine
>>
>>416233
PDFs will embed the font, otherwise you would not be able to select it in a PDF reader. Yes, OP, you will get sued when the type foundry asks for a receipt of your license. You need a different license based on # of exposures.
>>
>>416235
>PDFs will embed the font, otherwise you would not be able to select it in a PDF reader
ok so, open the font in fontforge/fontlap, change a few strokes slightly, save as a different format and back
problem solved, you are now no longer distributing the pirated font file (which is copyrighted), only the "pirated" font face (which isnt copyrightable)
remember, there's no copyright on the shapes of letters, only on the font file that defines those shapes
you can just make a different font file with the same shapes
>>
>>416233
This is wrong, there are often specific stipulations in EULAs about modifying fonts without permission.
>>
>>416328
if you're super paranoid you can trace the curves yourself
>>
>>416221
that's right faggot
>>
How will they even find out though?
Let's say i use Futura for commercial work without ever paying for it, they're not gonna go after me, right?
And if i work in a studio they should have the licenses anyway, not my problem.
>>
>>416337
The odds of a freelance designer being audited for font licenses is slim to none - they target companies for that.

The other anon was right - it depends on the foundry, and their licenses. House Industries is very litigious, and won a big case against Universal, and have been known to go after smaller designers and studios for their fonts being used. But they are an outlier. The big font foundries like Adobe generally only go after commercial presses and bigger agencies and corporations, and now with CC font licenses and Google fonts, it's even less of an issue.

And, if you're an actual designer who isn't a pajeet scraping jobs off the bottom of the barrel on Fiver, you already own fonts, and if the client wants something specific, will pay for them. Or you work for someone who owns a font library.
>>
>>416337
>>416343
or just get yourself a font from a japanese foundry lol
japan doesnt take typefaces seriously at all (i mean, typefaces are never copyright, not even in US), and if you think theyll try to somehow escape their own country not wanting to protect them and manage overseas legal battles on shaky laws and hard-to-prove concepts, you're mistaken
>>
font licenses only exist for people in pozzed shithole countries, and for legal departments
e.g. https://www.sqlite.org/copyright.html
>Your legal department tells you that you must purchase a license.
>>
How much are you using it? You could use it in illustrator and convert it to outlines. That way you are not using a font...you are using art.
This is a good solution for some jobs. Probably not the best solution for a novel
>>
All legal questions are based ENTIRELY on your legal jurisdiction.
If we don't know where you are in the world or where you will be published, we cannot answer.

People who make fonts for a living will tell you you must buy fonts, regardless of if you actually do.
Piratefags will tell you yon don't need to buy a font, regardless of if you actually do.
>>
>>416221
this but unironically
>>
>>416221
You think I wouldn't download a car if I could?
>>
There are enough free to use fonts, just use one of those.
>>
>>417832
Name 1 good free font
>>
>>417967
https://www.dafont.com/top.php?l[]=10&l[]=1
Just choose one you like
>>
>>417968
https://www.dafont.com/creato-display.font
>>
>>416217
>Is there even a way for the company to know if I paid for a license or not?
Yes of course, you retard
Do you think they don't keep track of who purchases licenses?
>>
>>418039
I never really understood this loicense shit. Regarding vectors for example, there are thousands of identical ones so if one company comes to sue you and then you show them the loicense of another one that sold an identical vector to you i have no idea what would happen

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.