[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

minimalism has meant the total death of creative graphic design, EVERYTHING looks the same now when it comes to logos, i get shit like removing the metallic sheen of the apple logo, but ffs, why are corporations like Firefox butchering iconic logos with disgusting oversimplification?
>>
>>408866
meme thread
>>
I don't like how the new logo looks like someone's fat belly sticking out from between his shirt and trousers.
>>
>>408866
minimalism is only bad if you dont recognize the brand afterwards... the current Pepsi logo works pretty fine, same with Firefox.
>>
everything up until 1962 is a bad coca cola rip off
everything after that isn't significantly different from the current logo to make any sort of point in your favour.
>>
>>408901
Not bad =/= good.
>>
File: bepis.jpg (5 KB, 226x190)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>
>>408918
true
>>
>>408866
There is a scientific basis as for the oversimplification. The simpler the logo: the better your brain assimilates it. It's something called pregnancy which you would know about if you actually went to college instead of being a faggot, OP.
>>
>>408986
Pragnanz* sorry, was a little bit of a faggot myself there.
>>
>>408866
This. Why does everything have to be so soulless now? Everything is catered to your average urban, phone-garking bugperson. Brewing companies are among the worst culprits for engaging in competition to see who can release the most bland and sterile labelling
>>
File: 1616841275855-0.png (45 KB, 249x255)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>408986
>muh science ,therefore good
>>
Adobe Illustrator is the worst thing to ever happen to humanity
>>
>>408986
graphic design is an artform
i don't give a shit about MUH SCIENCE
>>
>>408986
simple logos are all well and good, but sometimes you need some more additions and complications to express what you need to do
>>
File: konami logos.jpg (134 KB, 998x1350)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>408986
I must be a rare case then. I simply find it all disgusting and soulless. I usually avoid that company at all costs or at least never get anything modern. I've been aware of this shit long since it caught on with smartphones or other people online. For example here with the Konami logos. This is one perfect instance where I dropped that company flat with never buying anymore games from them or even packs of Yugioh cards. If I wanted cards, I'd deal with someone directly and not giving Konami any of my fucking money.
>>
>>409058
Completely chad and utterly based, I do this
>>
File: 1614101366144.png (182 KB, 508x508)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>408990
>MOM I POSTED THE BASEDJACK AGAIN

You actually can't refute him so this is your cope that minimalist pregnanz is the gigachad of design
>>
Graphic Design is not art. Graphic Design is communication. Logos are a form of communication for companies and companies like pepsi, firefox, apple, make these updates to their logos to say something new about them. Whatever the change is, there is a reason behind it, as I told you before, graphic design is communication; graphic designers dont just change a logo to "make it look better" sometimes is to reposition themselves, sometimes is to say something new about the company; as the company's objectives evolve, the company wants the public to witness and be part of that change, so their logos change too, even if is a small change.
>>
>>409115
That’s gay as shit. Nobody cares about the changes a company does. People like stability, even if it’s in something as stupid as a brand.

My life is constantly changing, I like to see something stay the same and still feel familiar.
>>
>>409115
>Art is not art
>>
I think minimalism works for large corporate brands and tech startups, but not so much for trade shops and traditional businesses. I had a client with a small family business come to me last week looking for something simple but recognizeable. Had to spend half an hour explaining why his business wouldn't benefit from such a rebrand.
>>
File: bc2.jpg (7 KB, 364x295)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
The logos just represent the actual soulless and dull society we are living in, just look at the 60~80 logos and look how colorful and full of energy they are, every company wanted to have the coolest logo, now we this because a "scientist" said it's easier for zoomer brains to remember simpler logos.
>>
>>409058
>bideogames
>yugioh
jeez grow up man
>>
>>409118
>Nobody cares about the changes a company does
>People like stability, even if it’s in something as stupid as a brand.
Debunked
When burger king change their logo, everyone care and loveeee it
>>
>>409186
Oh, excuse me. I better go out and pick up a six pack of beer and play beer pong with the bros like a real man. Can't play any of these childish ass games or especially a children's card game such as Yugioh. I need a real man's card game like Texas Hold 'Em. Fuck me boy, I'm so damn motherfucking sorry.
>>
File: 7bd.png (8 KB, 218x231)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>409093
>ummmm are you able to refute him using accredited sources that soullessness is bad?
>>
>>409093
it was already refuted
>>
It's not about minimalism, it's about adjusting to making everything readable on a cellphone, so they employ minimalism but in order to achieve something else not necessarily to serve minimalism as a design aesthetic. Blame the fact that everything has to work as a cellphone icon.
>>
>>409264
"Smartphones", indeed the worst invention ever to embark mankind.
>>
>>408990

My favorite thing conservatives and reactionaries did was deciding that science is bad. How much one must seethe about being wrong to decry thr scientific method.
>>
File: yes.jpg (15 KB, 322x375)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>409394
corporate lobby is the best scientific method! fucking love science IM A PICKLE RIIIIICK

you should read the C code for the monte carlo simulation most initial covid related political decision directing papers in were based on

trust the science! IM A PICKLE RIIIIICK
>>
refinement culture
>>
>>408990
brands don't want to be good they want to be profitable
>>
>>408990
The kinda shit high school dropouts say
>>
>>409231
You don't need a fucking accredited source, you nigger. What you need is any form of actual argument besides posting wojaks.
>>
tbf the first ones all look like theyre made by trannies
>>
>>409115
Why would you try to give any agency to the fatal heat death of creativity instead of pointing out its actual pernicious nature and then blaming the jews for it?
>>
>>409434
shut up mutt, no one needs your anti jew conspiracy
>>
File: water vs water.jpg (33 KB, 641x481)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Which one would you rather drink?
>>
>>409440
The one that's more aesthetic obviously. Granted this image isn't a shoop, I'm wondering if it's filtered water and spring water here.
>>
>>408866
I agree, but as 3d-ish logos were a trend in early smartphone days, this is just a trend that'll pass soon enough.
>>
>>409450
How can you be so certain? Everything becomes more and more soulless by each passing day.
>>
>>408987
Spotted the UX Designer
>>
File: animephilo.jpg (99 KB, 358x450)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>408937
you sir are a philosopher king
>>
File: libtarddoublethink.jpg (168 KB, 1193x717)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>409394
fuck off back to red dit libtard. 4chan is for ultra uber right wingers to the extreme for the 90s.
>>
>>409394
Sir, this is /gd/, not /polsci/ or /his/.
>>
>>408866
i find it funny that you try to make an argument against minimalism but use wojaks
>>
File: pepsi.jpg (96 KB, 799x1164)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>408866
https://www.goldennumber.net/wp-content/uploads/pepsi-arnell-021109.pdf
Pic related from the Pepsi logo design documentation which is the link.
>>
>>409482
nice ironic pic title
>>
>>408989
did you know that instead of posting this soulless meme u couldve been making money?
>>
>>408866
I think the logo can be read from right to left, and it's about how a mix of capitalism and communism are the de facto ideology of the West, totally consuming nationalism (white) and therefore killing the human spirit.
>>
>>408866
Better question, why did Firefox sign the Stallman open letter to exile him from his own creations for muh trans retard feelings?
Even better question, why haven't you uninstalled Pozzilla software and switched to Brave or some other depozzed Chromeclone?
>>
>>408868
>>408937
I can't unsee it.
>>
>>409394
The concept of science isn't bad you retard
SCIENCE! is the modern day religion with therapists/academics being the priest class.

You retards are so afraid of actual science that you still think men with penises are women and IQ has nothing do with your genetics
>>
>>408986
>The simpler the logo: the better your brain assimilates it.
that's retarded. if the logos are too simple then they all look the same.
by taking away subtle points of reference you take away the brain's ability to make quick differentiations. eventually the logo is so simple that it has to just be a word to be understood at all. fuck modern design trends and fuck you.
>>
>>409670
Valid point
>>
File: nos the answer.jpg (12 KB, 491x264)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>408866
>>
>>409198
Yugioh cards (the early ones at least) are aesthetic as fuck, based heart of the cards chad
>>
>>409394
science today are already a religion cult.
>>
>>408986
>>409115
But oversimplification is like making synthetic food that only has the nutrients, it has no flavor
>>
File: disgusted_rgb_p.png (65 KB, 304x304)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>408866
>bevels and drop shadows in logos
>>
>>410200

you're life is scripted and lame
>>
>>410201
you sound like the edgy kid that sat in the back of intro gd who had no direction or understanding
>>
File: owo.png (2.9 MB, 1920x1200)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB PNG
>>409009
It is absolutely fucking not. This is what 99 percent of this board doesn't not understand, and it is why you're annoyed. gd is not fucking art, it is a means for visual communication. Yes, there is overlap with artistry, but it's primary purpose is to communicate - and shape any gd work takes is largely decided by consideration for specific contexts and audiences. Unless this is understood, you will continually contort with autism at the sign of trends like minimalism/globohomo/that one grubhub animation.

Don't you all learn this shit in college intro English courses?
>>
>>408866
I get paid hourly at my job. I have about an hour to shit out a design that's ready for production and the client can send it back to me 3 times for a complete overhaul before we start charging them extra for my design time.

I wish I had time to throw together something more articulate but fuck dude I'm on a time crunch and if I spend 3 hours on a design that gets shot down each revision we're in a hole that didn't exist.

The people want cheap, give them cheap.
>>
>>410230
Where the hell are you working?
>>
Minimalism is Newspeak for graphic design, desu.
>>
>>410231
pentagram
>>
>>409440
Right, it has that early 00s feeling
>>
Debunked
Minimalism can be this kino
>>
>>410373
Forgot the pic
>>
>>410374
golden shit
kys sandnigger
>>
File: 1614071836443.jpg (28 KB, 275x307)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>409424
so thats a no then
>>
>>409670
I get that 4chan always has to be on the bleeding edge of contrarian and edgy, but it's always crazy to think people actually believe this. You can't just act self-righteous spouting out /pol/ shit on /gd/, like what's even the point? Is it bait, or are you so sensitive that you gotta bring up your politics everywhere you go?
Nu4chan is so lame
>>
>>410381
>nooooooo you can't say that stuff!
Sorry sweetie if you need someone else to filter the truth for you this website isn't the best place for it
>men with penises aren't women
>genetics are linked with IQ
Quit being a science denier, cultist.
>>
>>410385
cringe
>>
>>410444
o no
>>
>>409670
your argument falls flat because nobody on "I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE!!" or whatever is making posts about minimalism in design. Minimalism is definitely important in the field of design.
>>
>>410471
>your argument falls flat because nobody on "I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE!!" or whatever is making posts about minimalism in design
Retard
>>
>>410444
Waste of trips.
>>
>>410444
Based trips
>>
File: download (5).jpg (6 KB, 206x245)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>408990
I hate that how much 4chan change their attitude against scientifc method now
>4chan then
>lmao despite the 13%
>nignog has low IQ, here's the scientific proof
>genetics is related to intelligence, according to this paper
>4chan now
>lmao you believe science? cringe ebin :DDDDD
>>
>>410480
anon isn't complaining about scientific method, but comparing about those who go 'this is SCIENCE' while ignoring scientific method and tell people not to try and reproduce it.
>>
>posting default Soijaks on the graphic design board
You have zero taste of aesthetics.
>>
>>408866
1962 and 1991-92 are best
>>
>>409670
so true!
>>
File: alex-jones.jpg (67 KB, 982x726)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>408866
maybe it's territorial pissings. only so many geometric shapes will be recognized by public, the bigger companies are claiming geometric shapes and colors to be associated with them before smaller potential competitors even have a chance to compete.
>>
>>409482
>tfw cant tell it was if ironic or not
rip 4chan
>>
>>409395
>this weak facebook banter shit
lmao those tf those american dads doing on this board
>>
>>409440
I'm gonna have to go for the one on the right chief!
>>
File: strongsad.jpg (11 KB, 372x531)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>408937
>>408868
>>
>>408866
minimalism makes it easier for me to recognize brands while having a stroke
>>
>>408866
AGREED OK PLEASE MURICA
LIBTARDS
WOKETIVISM

STAHPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

YOU ALREADY RUINED VIDYA
ANIME
NERDWEEB SHIT
ATHEISM
RAVES
COMEDY
LATE NIGHT TV
REBOOTS AND REMAKES

JUST STAHPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
>>
File: pepsi-logo.jpg (9 KB, 213x180)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>i get shit like removing the metallic sheen of the apple logo

no. mid 2000s logos with weird metallic textures are priceless.
>>
did anyone notice that new logo looks like a smile , it's a subliminal msg i think
>>
>>408937
Powerful
>>
>>409440
That fountain needs a cleaning.
>>
File: imrs-1.jpg (105 KB, 1440x1803)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>409514
As a jew, it's important to make money and to show you have money to others. It defines me and my life goal to be the best global jewish citizen I can be.
>>
>>408986
>if you went to college you would have studied the same meme courses as me for a useless degree
>>
>>411360
I miss the shiny google logo
>>
File: swiss-e1579094918446.jpg (115 KB, 1200x666)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
Everyone should study the swiss.
>>
>>408866
1905, 1906, 1962 and 1973 are good
1898 looks shit, but at the time it was made it probably worked out well
1940 the C looks a bit strange with how its dragged out; the "Drink" on the 1906 ribbon helps section it off from the c so the C is distinct while the ribbon in 1940 makes the C look sort of like a T
the 1950 logo is ok, but having the text appear angled away from the viewer makes it a bit harder to read
the today logo is shit because as people have pointed out it looks like a fat guy and because it strays away from the proportioning of the 4 previous logos

t. non artist
>>
>>410200

>Drop shadow disgusting

How else would you make it easier to separate it from a white bg/foreground?
>>
>>410230

I sincerely hope you're not actually working in the Philippines.
>>
>>411514

Neat
>>
File: 1544576443021.jpg (25 KB, 462x429)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
It's not Minimalism's fault. The movement was only a reaction against complex messy aesthetics.

The problem is that minimalism is very compatible with late stage capitalism. If you think of cutting costs and maximizing revenue, there's no better aesthetic. If you want corporations to stop using minimalism, come up with an aesthetic that will sell well while cutting the work and cost of minimalism in half. You can't.
>>
>>408986
>Flat design has been criticized for making user interfaces unintuitive and less usable.
>Nielsen group conducted research in 2017 that showed that use of interfaces using flat design was 22% slower on average.
>>
>>408866
Truly the dark ages for logo designs
>>
>>411360
TRUE
>>
>>411520
The logo should have a high enough contrast on its own that it doesn't need to use drop shadows to separate from the background.
>>
>>409670
But neurobiology is a real science, not a social science, anon.
>>
>>411680
You can adapt that logo into whatever media is required. For instance, that WB could become the logo for the new Warner Brothers streaming app or whatever, and it would look just fine, on other hand, the old one would look like shit, so you'd have to create a new logo each time.
>>
>>411573
Hegelian dialectics at play, Capitalism truly is humanity's ultimate form and objectively the best system. If you wanna make some artsy fartsy shit, give up on design, you massive faggot.
>>
>>409440
>>411360
>>408866
Anons, unless you have any evidence of a sales drop related to the logo change you have no case.
>>
>>411742
Except capitalism and by that same virtue minimalism are exploitative.
Have fun being a slave to your corporate overlords I'm sure Jeff Bezos will give you some dollars like a good little wagie you are!
>"hey anon, I'm replacing your design work with an AI, since We've boiled down design to its bare essence we don't need to pay a human to design when we can save the 50 cents and have an AI design our logo for essentially free."
Moron
>>
>>411740
oversimplification and 'flat' has also been proved by science to slow things down.
some level of skeuomorphism is more quickly processed.
>>
>>411745
you could change the logo to literally anything and get an immediate spike from the novelty if your product is widely entrenched (e.g. sugared water from a well known brand)
also, these things may take time and people don't consider population growth which is why although something may sell more raw numbers today than something in the past, it's competitively less impressive and has less impact on culture.
>>
>>411758
>Jeff Bezos
>Capitalism

Lol, that guy is the epicenter of central bank, the only and true evil, and he has nothing to do with capitalism.

Capitalism is the mere exchange of value, I create something valuable, I exchange it for another valuable thing in a Win-win situation, it's always and can only be a win-win scenario, so there's no such a thing as exploitation in capitalism. Just agreement and value exchange.

The central bank creates money out of nowhere profiting from debt, state debt, resulting on inflation and even more debt to compensate. This means that it's supported by a big dependent state, and states get bigger and bigger, and people more and more dependet to the state thanks to Marxist, Fascist, and Conservative shit policies, you absolute retard. You don't even know who are you fighting against.
>>
>>411758
And more efficiency is bad because...?
>>
>>411758
If my job is useless and I get replaced by an AI, that's how it should be, anon. We don't use the telegraph anyomore. This is literally progress.
>>
>>408866
I dont think its on purpose, it's cause there a need for really small scale of the logo for phones and phone ads etc, it's not just a giant thing on a building
>>
File: smile.png (112 KB, 254x296)
112 KB
112 KB PNG
>>409412
The only thing that is actually worth earing in the entire board
>>
>>409675
I may fuck myself, but I will remain correct. "modern design trends"... jesus christ.
>>
>>409675
No, it doesn't. You may see a fat belly in the Pepsi logo, but you also see the Pepsi logo. This also doesn't mean that the Apple logo in the future will just be a circle with another circle representing the bite. Don't be dense
>>
>>411504
I pity the fool
>>
>>411520
Your brain can understand the negative space and knows where the logo actually ends...
>>
>>409184
seconding this
>>
File: gayniggers.png (121 KB, 2000x832)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
This and the pringles ones are the only ones that really upset me.
>>
>>412132
they had a nice unique typeface and they replaced it with generic sans 295 too
>>
>>410480
you are a fucking idiot
>>
>>408990
>>409231
>actually quoting posts with sóyjacks
>>
>>408866
>He calls the autism of the Pepsi logo oversimplification
>>
>>412149
>basedjack
>jack
>>>reddit
>>
File: 20210219142146299_0006.jpg (1.39 MB, 7016x4961)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
Sorry I couldnt rotate the image but minimalism and aestheticism artfully blended is the true kino and will be the future
>>
>>412150
That's impressive.
>>
>>412150
I remember learning about doing these after a design to post-justify your decisions to make management/clients think you really thought about it.
>>
>>412202
>>412150
I remember Uni and how I would make a design in literally two minutes but make a fucking paper justifying it so I could pass the course. Guess this is true for big companies as well.
>>412204
Yeah
>>
>>411145
>rip 4chan

you're 9 years late on that one
>>
>>412276
literally the weakest of weak do this shit and bitch about it later
>>
>>412291
huh?
>>
>>409394
Scientism =/= Science
>>
>>408990
If you are anti science it literally means you belong to a subhuman race.
That is the kind of behavior that lead to the creation of concepts like eugenics.
To purify the human race of retard scum who typically also talk to thin air like someones listening,
And are stupid enough to believe their dead mom hears them.
Sentiments that are only shared unanimously with people who live in mudhuts and fuck goats still.
>>
>>412317
"scientism" is another form or retardation invented purely to safegaurd the feelings of idiots that continue to depend on magic to get to get their values instead of actually logically developing some kind of ethics based on you know, real world cause and effects, actual objective measurement etc etc.
"Scientism" isn't a thing, other than an idiots temper tantrum pejorative.
>>
File: scientism.jpg (57 KB, 500x500)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>412327
do you think "science" and "scientific research" are not used by political demagogues, faggots siphoning grant money while trying to stay employed in gov. sponsored academic bureaucracies and by snakeoil salesmen? it's just a word, it's easy....
>>
File: 1.jpg (31 KB, 474x355)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>412326
>>412327
>t.
>>
>>412327
>"scientism" is another form or retardation invented purely to safegaurd the feelings of idiots that continue to depend on magic to get to get their values
That's quite literally what scientism is. Corporate lobbies abusing and twisting the scientific method to manipulate the public into believing the shit it cooks up. Funding certain spokespeople to spread their ideas under the guise of science. Acknowledging this is the first step to a less-deluded life.

Simplification and minimalism is one thing, oversimplifying designs to the point where it sucks the life out of them and they begin to lose recognizability is another. Guess where we're fast headed, fucko?
>>
>>412326
If science tells you to jump off a bridge and you say no you are a dumb caveman who hates civilisation
>>
>>411360
It looks like candy.
>>
>>411680
>they literally paid someone to make a shitty microsoft paint two-colour version of a classic logo
>>
File: 917.png (164 KB, 811x1049)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
>>409394

My favorite thing conservatives and reactionaries did was deciding that science is bad. How much one must seethe about being wrong to decry thr scientific method.
>>
>>409394
You have to go back.
>>
>>411770
Not even close to an accurate description of reality, nice try though.
>>
File: 1621678625483.png (203 KB, 751x597)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
this feels like ann 80s throwback
>>
>>
>>412870
>>
>>409440
>the virgin water
vs
>the CHAD ~ ~ w a t e r ~ ~
>>
>>412126
I could definitely see that being the apple logo in the future
>>
File: jennerewave.png (359 KB, 751x597)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
>>412857
I kind of like it, still not voting for him though
>>
>>411680

How is this a bad thing? We get to make tons of money with minimal effort.
>>
>>409191
Burger King changed their logo to resemble the older iterations of their design, of course people loved it, they knew it already. Not exactly making a good point here bud.
>>
File: pepe-ohhh.png (126 KB, 800x769)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
>>412150
Holy fuck. Someone sat down and dedicated what looks to be copious amounts of time to create this. I'm honestly more impressed than anything.
>>
>>412132
>Flour
>Baking company
Surely they needed a new logo completely different from the previous brand to convey the new direction the company was heading.
>>
>>408866
1950 1962 1973 are kino
>>
File: 0306-ups-logo.gif (26 KB, 600x250)
26 KB
26 KB GIF
>>408866
the older logo is literally less complex than the 2008 one. red and blue split evenly in a circle with a white wave through it. bam, instant classic.
the problem isn't minimalism, the problem is post 1980s designers not studying the past hard enough and forgetting what made minimal logos of the past look like not-shit. pic related
>>
>>408866
What I don't get is they already had a logo that could easily be converted to minimised/simplified. Why did they go with the fat guy?
Pic related feels more inviting to me for getting a cola. Their current blue can just feels generic.
Similarly, I liked the plain attractive red coke can rather the slightly metallic one they currently use. It boggles my mind that in a few areas where minimalism actually works are the places they don't decide to do it.
>>
>>412516
Believe in Science you infidel
>>
>>408866
shut up dude, I get to design logos that are braindead easy, don't complicate things.
>>
>>412150
holy fuck what schizo made this
>>
>>410190
>>412724
>>412317
lol "I know you are but what am I"
>>
>>413522
This
>>
>>408866
The brand once fit inside the white wave too, it looked nice and gave it liquid motion. New one looks like it belongs to an airline (upward white wing shape + red and blue) or a boat/sailing brand. The fatman shape also makes it look rounder and rotational like a spinning globe, further makes me think of airlines. It's less identifiable and if Pepsi wasn't already a big brand I imagine they'd notice how forgettable it is. Most all nu-logos are so forgettable I still probably can't draw them from memory.
>>
>>408986
Catters to the retardest retards
>>
Dont worry folks, luxury fashion brands still are into okay stuff, I work for SSENSE I see it, while it's expensive af I see theres something there being done
>>
>>408866
Jesus, what a nigger tier complaint.
Your dumbass is so low IQ you can't even figure out the distinction between a brand and a logo let alone why the latter has obvious advantages over the former in the current year.
Shit heads like you are the reason why I decided I didn't want to graduate.
>>
File: 1622050308197.jpg (61 KB, 540x960)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>408937
>that red shit
did pepsi predict nikocado?
>>
File: file.png (12 KB, 302x397)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
embrace minimalism.
>>
>>410374
That's pretty interesting man, neat
>>
>>410216
based and /thread
>>
>>408866
>Redesign Your Logo
>We know what we’re doing
https://youtube.com/watch?v=fu3ETgAvQrw
>>
>>409058
same here
>>
>>409058
The konami "evolution" is definitely bad, even if you go by the "minimalism is better" doctrine. Now it's literally just a word with a generic looking font. It's literally not a logo.
>>
>>409394
> Scientific Method
> Boling everything to how fast can you assimilate it
> Nothing else matters
> I Won, my oversimplified theory is all you need
>>
>>412132
The new logo looks like something out of a craft-beer bar. It just threw away thir unique style to the trash
>>
>>409198
insecure fag
>>
>>410374
>if you build with us, you will get random pieces of shit sticking out of the side that serve no purpose
>>
>>412150
Such a wanky document lol
>>
File: SANSMANIA.jpg (44 KB, 1024x512)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>408866
>Branding
>>
File: CIA_MediaLogoUpdate.jpg (573 KB, 1920x1080)
573 KB
573 KB JPG
>>408866
Is the push for major brand to simplify their logos just a psyop?
>>
>>412150
It says
>work in progress
Was a final document ever leaked?
>>
>>412150
>breathtaking
just like big chungus keanu reeves.
>>
File: 1595291815861.jpg (30 KB, 500x608)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>411770
TIL jeff bezos makes every single product from amazon by hand
>>
>>414853
I mean, probably. The whole point of minimalism is to have a logo be recognizable at any scale since 99% of the time, the logo will not be the primary focus.
>>
>>409115
Finally someone who made a good point

>>409176
No, it is not. As >>410216 already said, graphic design is just a way to convey a message in a visual way. The message in this case is to sell a certain product or represent a certain brand. Literally in every design/marketing/whatever book is stated that ads and logos aren't art forms but rather, if we want to talk semiotics, "aesthetic texts". Which means that they have an aestetic quality to it ( and you can't deny it) but they don't hold any artistic value since their main purpose is just to sell something. Therefore GD cannot be considered an art form.
>>
>>411514
horrifying

and extremely dated. its not the 1960s anymore.
>>
File: principle-of-parsimony.png (113 KB, 600x300)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>409115
>>414959
from Strunk's "The Elements of Style" on writing, but I think it applies to design too
>Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.
>>
>>415015
That's true but I don't see how this applies to the posts you quoted.
>>
>>415018
Part that I think is most relevant:
>This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.
There's a difference between simplifying to communicate an idea, and trendy oversimplification. Many of these modern brands are ultra-simplifying - but you can have something more complex if every element is revealing.
>>
>>414959
All of this. The bulk of the work graphic designers do is mundane, as part of a business or commercial process and product. The high end, niche stuff can be very creative, and at the other end is designing coupons and laying out policy statements for an HR department.
Technically, the whole field is the "graphics arts", but that's to separate it from other art fields, as it's own thing. That's why schools have different departments for fine art, and graphic design. There's a ton of overlap, but the intent is completely different.
Most of the people who post on this forum are penny chasing pajeets bickering over fiver jobs, or autists who cannot do anything in life without tacking a childish value to it, like "soul".
>"I don't wanna do anything unless it's an endless stream of gold stars and head pats!"

Maybe 10% of the top 10% in the design world will get to work on projects that earn awards, the rest of us will put in 40 hours to get a check. Some of us have the right talents to work their way up the ranks and make a good living at it, most of the autists here will never work a single day as a designer.
>
"But if I'm not rich and famous and revered by all the autists on 4chan for having 'soul", then what's the point?"

For you, autist? None. There's no point in doing anything because your autism will always be in the way.

If I acted like the autists here do, I'd never have worked, because the minute I started whining about "soul" and "art" to my bosses, I'd have been fired. Most of the time you're making compromises to please a boss/client anyway.
>>
>>411758
>I want socialism because capitalism is bad!
>Ignores that under socialism, there is no graphic design, or cool logos.
>Posts anyway whining about capitalism
>>
>>409009
This is why we can have nice things
>>
>>415026
>There's a difference between simplifying to communicate an idea, and trendy oversimplification
coming back to this in the future when all logos are perfect circles in different colors
>>
>>415026
>There's a difference between simplifying to communicate an idea, and trendy oversimplification
Oh yeah, absolutely. I completely agree with you on this one. Too bad that minimalism and flat is the current trend and I doubt it's gonna change anytime soon. Do you know any recent logo of a medium/medium-small company that doesn't use this style?
>>
>>415028
>Maybe 10% of the top 10% in the design world will get to work on projects that earn awards, the rest of us will put in 40 hours to get a check
Unfortunately this is the truth and we have to accept. I agree with your critique of the "everything I do must be absolutely original and ground-breaking" way of thinking. This mindset just doesn't apply in any work enviroment at all. Someone gotta do menial jobs in order to reach the top.
>>
>>415038
>Do you know any recent logo of a medium/medium-small company that doesn't use this style
I've noticed a recent-ish trend on focusing on typography for upscale products. Simple, but not as minimalist as tech branding
>>
>>408866
Old Pepsi logo was fucking SOUL
>>
>>413241
I think Canada still has it at 1999. Love that logo
>>
>>409596
>unpozzed
>Brave
Yea stick to /gd/
>>
Minimalism is cringe
>>
File: visuals.jpg (48 KB, 570x425)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>414229
>Now it's literally just a word with a generic looking font. It's literally not a logo.
If you knew what a logotype is, you wouldn't be saying this kind of bullshit.
>>
>>411680
>>saving ink
GD solves problems, get off this board immediately
>>
>>415103
of all the flavours they could have chosen, the pick bland.
>>
File: 1622830637294.png (90 KB, 309x319)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>412132
King Arthur's redesign was the first and only time I've ever stopped buying something because the logo was so offensive to me
>>
I think they see it as a way to appeal to the masses, but minimalism is fucking retarded
>>
File: E52r9gSUYAA4WvN.jpg (17 KB, 400x300)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
I fucking hate it
>>
>>408866
i like how in 1906 they decided maybe people didn't know what pepsi cola was for so they added 'drink' to the logo
>>
File: captcha.png (12 KB, 311x307)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>409394
>hasn't heard of the replication crisis
the i fucking loves Science! people aren't doing science, that's what the criticism is. funny how population geneticists get canceled as soon as they start investigating evolution above the neck.
>>
>>415909

I fucking love it, nice hommage to the one drawn by Vasarely that Renault used in the 70's and 80's
>>
>>415909
dumbass cumpanies give up on effort
>>
>>409440
water
>>
>>408868
yes i too have seen that meme back in 2014
>>
>>415787
did you expect anyone who posts here to actually have any idea how graphic design works
>>
>>408986
>. It's something called pregnancy which you would know about if you actually went to college instead of being a faggot, OP.
That's when babys are born stupid!
>>
>>408866
Minimalism can go suck a pair of balls, it has ruined the fun of unique logos and graphic design imo.
>>
>>408868
>I don't like how the new logo looks like someone's fat belly sticking out from between his shirt and trousers.
Drink Pepsi, get fat.
>>
>>413241
1999 is the true king
>>
>>416288
lol stfu this is the equivalent of "comic sans is fun!"
>>
>>409394
>>
>>410444
>Based trips to shut down a retard posting irrelevant shit.
>>
>>410480
The shift happened because it became incredibly obvious that our acedimic institutions have been tainted with a certain way of thinking. It’s gotten so bad that obvious parody papers get through peer reviews and published.
>>
File: bbhc.png (535 KB, 1025x898)
535 KB
535 KB PNG
>>417258
>>
>>414852
all of those are easier to read on the right. globalism means you need to be readable for people with barely esl
>>
>>409394
You sure are smug for a middling nebbish retard, you ever wonder why most people beyond other narcissist dunning Kruger afflicted faggots such as yourself fucking despise you?
>The concept of a logo being simple being superior marketing is objective truth without any possibility you are wrong
This is how fucking dumb you are, put a shotgun barrel down your throat faggot
>>
>>411332
No they have to continue until they force everyone to be just as braindead and milquetoast as them unless they are just self indulging in drugs and orgies because that is the only meaning they can have in their pitiful life.
>>
File: logo.jpg (31 KB, 1200x630)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>408866
idk man. Minimalism has always been a hallmark of some of the most successful corporations and recognizable brands. pic related.
>>
>>409009
"design thinking" is utter horseshit. They gave me the same presentation 4 times over the course of my degree, so I get being jaded with powerpoint tier research bullshit.

That being said, there is value in user testing and if that testing proves more successful being minimal then swallow your fucking pride.
>>
>>417270
Well, yes. Soiface's right.
>>
>>411147
The sooner you accept that this site has been over run with normies for over 5 years the better
>>
>>417518
>5 years
You fuckers have been flooding the place since 2008, fuck out newfags
>>
>>408866
1940 for the win
>>
>>417518
i am here since 2007 and despite my shitty cringe posting, it's worth noting that baaasedentific papers that were cited to justify lockdown policies accross yurop were based on 15k line C program comparable to telling fortune with goat entrails (e.g. they even fucked up things like indentation levels and it somehow compiled and ran). thats how public policies are made.
https://github.com/mrc-ide/covid-sim/issues/144
>>
>>412150
>Gravitational pull of Pepsi
What the fuck man
>>
>>417234
I was saying minimalism sucks ass???
Plus everyone knows comic sans is the worst font.
>>
>>412326
Scientists lost all credibility the moment they claimed Dinosaurs were actually birds.
>>
>>410121
Synchros and XYZs are cool. Links are okay I guess. We do not talk about Pendulums.
>>
>>408866
Phones.
I am so sick of seeing people ask this question when the answer is extremely simple and extremely obvious.
Phones.
>>
>>417518
>>411147
This site almost doubles in users every election year. It's never going to get better and we are never getting old 4chan back. I might stop browsing anything but the porn boards by next year, maybe even next month. Can't stand reading so much retarded, prideful garbage daily.
>>
>>408866
50´s was the best
>>
>>409115
So basically you say modern consoomers are retarded and need simple pictures because those subhumans can't even write two sentences without using an emoji?
That would make sense
>>
>>409489
Bottom right looks like its laughing then laughing harder
>>
File: file.png (41 KB, 647x228)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
damn those logo rebrandings are always so blank and soulless
>>
>>408866
I hate flat design as too, but there's more to graphic design than logos
All the time I still see non-flat design all across the internet and especially in video games
>>
yeah completely
with the rise of mobile phones comes the quote unquote "need" for oversimplified design that can be recognized on something as small as a phone screen (despite phones getting big as hell)
makes everything look more and more like the sleek and streamlined future hellscape that we're living in

op's picture reminds me of the pepsi logo redesign document though, it's batshit insane and theres a song based on it too (redesign your logo by lemon demon)
give it a read if you want https://www.goldennumber.net/wp-content/uploads/pepsi-arnell-021109.pdf
>>
>>410480
before trying to spout embarrassing shit like this, please learn how to differentiate the actual science and science cult apart. Thanks.
>>
>>410216
This is the stupidity you produce when limited iq academics turn gd into a course and shit out limited iq students who regurgitate dogmatic views.

Tell me what the mitsubishi logo 'communicates', tell me what 'message' is sent when you see it? It literally tells you nothing about the company. Do this for any major logo.

Logos identify and at best evocate, they don't send hidden magical messages
>>
>>418289
if logo is serif it communicates product is sophisticated
if sans communicateas product modern
>>
>>418289
>dogmatic views
What the fuck are you talking about. Graphic Design is probably one of the field with the least amount of rules there's out there. It's not fucking CS or engineering. Everything is pretty much only guidelines and loose schemes. Hell, you would know this if you read a bunch of books on the topic, that they are all vague and not specific at all.
Also, the rest of your post proves that you have literally no idea on what you are talking about.
>>
>>418296
To keep it on topic, logos are merely identifiers, they should be aesthetically pleasing, and they do not convey explicit information. Instead they evoke certain feelings and associations in the mind of the consumer/general public. You're just a drone that parrots 'communicate don't decorate'. Logos barely transmit any information at all and yet should be visually atractive. They are mostly just visual identifiers that cement themselves in the public consciousness by learned association and you'd do well to start understanding that.
>>
>>412871
>NEED A LOGOP LIKE THISP
what did they mean by this? jk jk those are actually good
>>
>>417261
forgot the part where you strip a former Nobel prize winner of his titles because his experiment lead to conclusions that were not sufficiently woke
>>
>>413241
1999 is so fucking cool, I know I'm a 90s kid and everything, but come on
>>408866
50s is pure soul
>>412132
AYAK
>>
File: 1611352614986.jpg (337 KB, 750x678)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
>>409394
>Scientific method
>reactionaries
>>
>>418677
Ignore such posters.
"Reactionary" is a buzzword among the anti-nomian left.
>>
>>410216
muh industry muh audience muh job. nigga nobody cares
>>
>>408866
When i was high i came up with this theory that minimalism is directly linked to bans on psychedelic substances and i still think it kinda makes sense
>>
File: ok.jpg (86 KB, 500x598)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>408866
remember ok soda?
>>
>>418720
yeah shrooms and weed stopped growing in 2010 and has nothing to do with variable resolutions & high dpi displays, need for fully responsive layouts and apple overhauling iOS visuals kind of poorly
>>
>>411514
Rancid indeed.
>>
File: Winnipeg Goldeyes.png (1.06 MB, 2000x1600)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>tfw my local Ball team just got oversimplified
Not saying it was especially good or anything before, but it had soul.
God I hate this meme.
>>
File: Autodesk.jpg (68 KB, 1152x476)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
https://adsknews.autodesk.com/news/new-autodesk-logo-2021
>Today we’re excited to introduce a new look and feel for Autodesk, including a new logo, colors, and imagery. This change is the first of several bold moves we’re making as a company to reimagine the Autodesk brand—one that underscores our belief that a better world can be designed and made for all.
>Dynamic, modern, and memorable, the new Autodesk logo represents action, momentum, and a clear direction toward the future. It’s a strong, simple logo that illustrates a brand synonymous with doing.
>>>it's this shit
It's all so tiring.
>>
>>419125
>a better world can be designed and made for all
>charges for Fusion 360
>>
>>409489
somebody could make a hyperborea edit out of that paper screenshots
>>
>>419127
>paying for software
this site disappoints me these days
>>
>>419185
tell me how I know you are a jobless neet
>>
>>419186
The employer/clients pay for his software if he's not a jobless NEET, and if he is he pirates it. And you're here just a retard.
>>
>>409058
These little infographics are so dumb and misleading. Konami still uses the bacon strip graphics with the wordmark.
>>
>>408986
>pregnancy
>>
>>408866
73 and 92 pepsi looks best

Graphic design is crap now because commies can't with art
>>
>>408994
Are you sure?
Though... people were making minimalism soulless drawings even with Illustrator 88.
One of the training tapes demostrates this.
>>
File: CMIYGL.jpg (62 KB, 843x843)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>419192
My experience may not match everyone, since I do in-house media (rather than work at an agency), but my employer pays for software only for my work equipment (they've given me an iMac, a Macbook Pro, & iPhone) - since I use Windows/Android personally, I still have a personal subscription. It pobably depends on your situation, I also do freelance work sometimes, and if I charge for any of that, I'd want to have legitimate software.

>>418902
I think minimalism is directly related to a lack of artistry in favor of data & metrics in all aspects of communication and marketing; while many could make good logos and branding in a simplified ecosystem, a more complex logo that also satisfies great communication is harder to do. And since a huge influence on our online & digital aesthetics is the Bay Area/Silicon Valley (where we have more engineers & tech guys than artists), this has had a stifling effect on creative uses of art & imagery. If anything, more complex layout & design is coming from the lo-fi world, not the high-tech world.
>>
>>419186
If I'm not making a ton of money of /gd/ I'm not gonna pay for software, especially when there's tons of free stuff and even the "pro" stuff is easy to pirate lol
>>
>>417623
Other way around wheat-teeth.
>>
>>418289
this
It's how you end up with gorillions of tech companies using the same fucking on/off switch motif for example
Most memorable logos have absolutely nothing to do with what the products, that's what makes them stand out
>>418293
Except that this is fucking arbitrary, look at how tech companies in the 90s used serifs even when selling products as modern and innovative
>>
>>419125
I don't even hate the logo, but the explanation is overplayed bullshit, a consequence of shoehorning symbolism into everything
>>
>>408986
Problem is when everything is so simple you can't tell things apart since it's all the same dumbed down style
>>
>>409440
The one on the right just gives off the auta of being refreshing
>>
>>419425
Wasn't the on off thing an electrical engineering symbol to show that you're cutting power to the device?
>>
>>408989
>Brewing companies are among the worst culprits for engaging in competition to see who can release the most bland and sterile labelling
its not a competition, rather a side effect of oversaturation in the market. there are simply too many microbrewers for them to retain originality. there are so many out there, that everything has been done before. their branding is devoid of meaning, because they are devoid of meaning.
>>
remember the abc yellow campaign from 20 years ago?
>>
jesus just nuke this stupid thread already
>>
File: logo-lg.c3968c040d6d.png (5 KB, 128x128)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>408866
because u dont use nightly
>>
>>408866
honestly the Pepsi logo annoyed me
it's like the fucked it up on purpose
>fuck symmetry you fat fuck you will buy it anyway
>>
>>408866

Post modernism at it's worst.
>>
>>408866

>Won't you gentlemen have a Pepsi?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iJF0UuyG_k
>>
>>418289
>Tell me what the mitsubishi logo 'communicates', tell me what 'message' is sent when you see it? It literally tells you nothing about the company. Do this for any major logo.

It's literally the name of the company, mitubishi = 三菱、its meaning is 3 rhombuses/diamonds you fucking EOP clown.
>>
>>412150
>>412202 >>412204 >>412276 >>413242 >>413528 >>414762 >>414854 >>414856 >>417578
Pepsi paid 1 million dollarydoos for that shit, and he later was found calling his own documents "bullshit". Turns out the dude who made it is kind of unhinged. He got axed by his ad agency and fucking sued them and settled in court too.
>>
Don't worry, this style will be replaced by something else in 20 years and I promise you'll hate the replacement even more. There will be threads with people nostalgically posting about the current logos of Pepsi, Firefox and Warner Brothers, desperate to return to a simpler, flatter time.

I know this because I'm from 2045. The new style is called stochastic pointillism.
>>
>>419578
>literally a modernist trend
>hur durr let me blame post-modernism because I don't know anything
>>
>>408866
The 16 x 16 px favicon requires a simplified logo, otherwise it is completely unrecognisable at that scale.
>>
>>408866
that 1973 pepsi logo was lit, tho
>>
>>409394
You will never be a real woman
>>
>>413265
UPS logo is pretty based
>>
>>409489
I still to this day am unsure if that document was a joke or not. It's so full of bullshit but it could easily have been a response to the arena-sized Pepsico board room (look it up)
>>
>>409184
this

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.