[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 5 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1591866599625.png (123 KB, 800x600)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
I have a bulk of artwork that needs to be made for my game, and I'm wondering what kind of payment scheme artists prefer. I want to be able to keep the artist on call in case I need more artwork later.
What's best here - lumpsum, monthly, revenue share or ..?
>>
>>406467
It depends of lots of things, most artists work on commissions or fixed hourly rate.
>>
>>406467
>I want to be able to keep the artist on call in case I need more artwork later.
hourly. I don't know a single good designer who would be on stand by for free.

Most contracts I make are based on work to be done or work expected.
The first one is straight forward, you make a contract where you get what you and have a certain limit of reworks (or you can pay for more reworks).
The second i think would be better for you: You can make a contract saying that you expect up to X monthly artworks for a fixed price, and set a expected delivery time starting from the notice (example: you send an e-mail with the briefing, and then a "clock" starts ticking where the artwork should be ready up until 24h/48h/72h/etc), the deadline and number of artworks expected sure depends on what kind of artwork is being done.

About paying method: It is common to pay 30%~50% as the contract is sealed and then the rest after the work is done if it is a single job. But as you want to have a designer on stand by, it would be better to agree on a montly/weekly compensation.
About paying with shares: it can be done, but it depends on the designer and the how solid are your numbers predictions.
>>
>>406529
I mean standby wouldn't need to be super quick notice, generally more like 2~4 weeks or so. The problem is I know I will have a bulk of artwork now, but don't know how much I'll need later. So paying XXXX$/mo seems weird, considering you start with a huge task (that'll feel underpaid for the amount of work), then have potential many months of no work.
>>
>>406536
Then make a contract or an written agreement about the price per artwork and then agree on paying X days after the finishing piece. Make sure to have a rework policy so you can ask for fixes/changes.
But it will still have a flaw: you will not have a designer exclusive for you, and he can jump to another client while he did not recieve jobs from you. This was a flaw i tried to fix on my answer. But an option is to have 2 or more designers (depending on the stream of jobs) so you don't palce all your chips on one person
>>
For my clients, I usually use a basic contract stipulating half up front upon approval of a concept (usually proven in an initial sketch) and then the other half upon completion. One of the best ways to keep an artist "on call" is to be pleasant to work with, and pay punctually. If you're a frequent flyer and good company, they're more likely to prioritize your projects.
>>
I've done hourly and fixed price. IMO using upwork, it's easier to get hired using a fixed price because clients know they won't be paying extra, just make sure you have a realistic price and estimate of how long it will take, avoid undercharging. Also, a client might not be knowledgeable of how long things take and you can potentially make more money that way then doing hourly because of this. I got payed 3000 in less than a month and worked pretty comfortably this way. It's definetely less stressful than hourly work. But doing hourly has its benefits too, your client will be charged for requesting changes

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.