[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1548780549931.jpg (230 KB, 1000x1000)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
How the fuck do I make a good portfolio?
>>
Explore new mediums

Physical and digital, hand drawn and computer generated.
Use different software, Photo editing, 3D software, Painting.

Realistic, abstract, absurd, minimal.
Explore different styles.

Most important, save photos of your work, upload them to various websites such as deviant art to showcase and to also have backups.
>>
>>402183
>deviantart
>2020
hey op you could listen to this retard but i'll suggest something.
>make list of designers you like
>send fake email asking for their portfolio. tell them you want to propose em for a big project you signed an NDA and can't talk about for now
>receive portfolio and never write back
>look at theirs and learn
>profit

have a good one
>>
>>402178
have good work
put in together in one place
done
>>
>>402217
/thread
>>
For a good start have you tried working on actual shit and being employed for a decade? No? Then what the fuck are you showing me, exactly? A bunch of fake ass shit you made while you larped as a hobbyist designer? Get the fuck out of here. I want to see actual projects with proof of labor and the hours it took, I wanna talk to your actual clients. I wanna know if you've ever had criticism and if you just fucking fold when your boss tells you you've done fucked up. Not your rainbow coins only you've given value to in your head.
>>
>>402178
A portfolio serves a couple of purposes:

Your technical ability, emphasizing what you're good at. If you're looking for photo editing work, you show your best examples.

You show the ability to think, and be creative.

You can show the ability to work with a team, and get projects completed on time and successfully.

Just google "design portfolio" and see what people have in theirs.

It's not a difficult concept. Have 10-12 published pieces, with a small breakdown on the project, your role in it, and how successful it was.
>>
>>402183
>Physical and digital, hand drawn and computer generated.
>Use different software, Photo editing, 3D software, Painting.

That's illustration, not graphic design. Nobody gives a fuck if you can draw waifus if they want you to convert a textbook into EPUB format, or design web ads.

>Realistic, abstract, absurd, minimal.
Explore different styles.

That's fine art, not graphic design.

>Most important, save photos of your work, upload them to various websites such as deviant art to showcase and to also have backups.

Nobody hiring for GD work gives a flying fuck about DeviantArt, and it's a couple of bucks a month to buy a website to host a portfolio. And, when applying for GD jobs, the expected norm is a PDF of your portfolio, and a link to your site. If you're taking photos of design layouts, you'll be laughed at and your resume and application tossed. It's 2020, the vast majority of design is digital. Unless you're a photographer, submitting photos is about as clueless as you can get.

You have no idea what graphic design is. Stop giving worthless advice.
>>
>>402191
You don't even have to do that, ffs. Google "design portfolio", or go to the Graphic Artist's Guild or Aquent's site to see pro portfolios.

Fucking autists, you overcomplicate everything for no reason. Portfolios are not top secret, or hard to get a hold of.
>>
File: 1607089456248.jpg (66 KB, 622x745)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>402301
>thinking google gives you good answers
>>
File: smg.jpg (12 KB, 225x225)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
What's a good hosting website for a portfolio? I was thinking WordPress or Squarespace but any recommendations?
>>
I just write "HIRE ME OR YOUR MOTHER DIES IN HER SLEEP TONIGHT" real big on an otherwise empty webpage.
Works on mobile too.
>>
>You have no idea what graphic design is. Stop giving worthless advice.

Thanks for your input faggot, how bout you bring something original to the table instead of shitting on everybody else
>>
>>402299
I'm just browsing, but you sir have holy wisdom.
>>
File: CubeCartel.gif (1.22 MB, 540x360)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB GIF
Can people who are interested in graphic design come join this server, I'm trying to make a cool place for /GD users to talk and share their interest.

Thanks

https://discord.gg/2gvs99F
>>
>>402893
should I get the app or browser version of discord?
>>
>>402283
But how do you propose people get to this point? I mean to work in the field, you need a portfolio to begin with. Do you see what I'm saying?
>>
>>402785
My portfolio will never come near this godforsaken place, I might need it in the future to find a new job, I don't want some potential employer seeing it pop up here. And yes, they do search for things like that. Not doxxing myself to 4chan because some angry third worlder larping as a designer is butthurt.
>>
>>402283
My portfolio is filled with this stuff and I still can't get hired.
>>
>>402301
wait till they discover the "be hance"
>>
>>402283
>I wanna talk to your actual clients.
Nobody, and I mean nobody contacts clients in a designer's portfolio. Ever.
>>
>>402178
what do i get by talking to you
>>
>>402178
what do i get by talking to you

my good wishes cant make the mountain flip its normals just so you can see its culled polygons
>>
>>403273
They're not going to contact your fucking clients. They want to SEE real, finished work, that someone else approved, and preferable paid for. It shows professionalism, value, and true understanding of the craft because people paid you. Creative personal projects are cool too but people want to see real work
>>
>>402283
>>403317
and how the fuck are you supposed to make a portfolio for your first job? how the fuck are you supposed to get ''employed for a decade'' in the first place? you do realize that people are not born employed and they have to start somewhere, right?
>>
>>403339
Most people create their first portfolio from school projects and small side jobs they pick up along the way. Employers understand that you have to start somewhere, and as long as you were smart enough to graduate and can handle the basics, they'll consider you.

But I tend to think most of the larpers here think that they can apply and compete for the higher positions and higher salary jobs with a glitch graphic/blender nonsense/lame logo design filled portfolio. Most graduates go for the entry level jobs, where published work is less important, but they can see the applicant has the basics of page layout and compositional skills and actual hands on experience with school projects that translate to real world projects. The idea is, if you're an ad agency hiring another designer for the cube farm (huge turnover there), they want to feel comfortable with throwing edits at you to an InDesign layout for an ad, that needs a new layout for a smaller ad size, and don't need to teach the person how to do it. That's the kind of jobs I was doing early on.
You'll see "or equivalent" in a lot of GD job postings, because GD is one of the few fields where you can teach yourself a lot of it, or be employable if you do most of a degree but don't graduate. IF you actually study and experiment the kinds of things they actually do.
You can also work for staffing agencies that hire GDs, and build a portfolio off temp gigs.

A portfolio shows your technical skills, and how you think creatively.
>>
>>403342
What should a guy do if they aren't in school and don't have any previous small jobs?
>>
>>402178
Do good work, put it in a portfolio....
>>
>>403342
I did exactly what you're describing and can't get a job in an office. Associates in Advertising and Graphic Tech, worked with real clients for class projects, picked up a few clients on freelance sites, have a full portfolio of work with said clients and obviously state I know how to use InDesign, Illustrator and PS. Nobody even calls me back at all.
>>
>>402178
You start by having good work.
If you have good design work, you'll know how to design a single space for that work to share.
That shared space is your portfolio.
You're welcome.
>>
>>403959
Not really. I'm of the opinion people just hire you these days if they like your face or not.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.